My Personal Journey to BR - Canada

For 15 years I had been in pain caused by heavy...

For 15 years I had been in pain caused by heavy breasts...I had arthritis in my right shoulder and the left shoulder had been broken...this caused great discomfort and because my breasts were so heavy, I often had to go without a bra. I had not always been big, but when I was around 35 I started to gain weight in my breasts. My decision to have BR happened when I was 62. Up until this point, I didnt believe it was possible especially when people would say, "oh you are not that big" etc etc...I felt kind of ashamed that I was even considering it...at the time I was 38 F....finally I met someone who knew someone else who had BR and said they felt so good...I started doing research....and it became an obsession and I started to see some hope. I mentioned it to my doctor who understood and referred me to a PS...after a year's wait, I was called to surgery. (I was 63 years old)

I was nervous but excited and inside was so proud of myself for having made this step. The day of the surgery I felt nervous but when the PS started to make the marks on my breasts, I became very calm, knowing that it was finally going to end and I would have the breasts I was comfortable with.

After I woke up, it felt like I had no breasts at all. (I was strapped in), I then worried if he had taken too much....but I am now a 36C and fine with my size. The surgery was so much easier than I had thought, although I was very tired for 3 or 4 days.....I had a little problem in that I retained alot of fluid...I realized it was because I tried to do too much....although I rested, I was feeling so good, I went out to a restaurant after 4 days, tried on some clothes (that's a no-no) and did a little shopping and walked around the mall etc....this was also a no-no as you have a tendancy to swing your arms and all that is putting stress on the stitches and breasts....anyhow, to make a long story short, because of the swelling i was advised to put my legs up and just rest for a month to see if the fluid would go away....it took a while and I was left with a bump where the stitches ended....however, the scars healed very nicely and today I had my yearly checkup....the PS said he would do a scar revision which will require just local anasthetic...this I will do later on.

I am very happy that I made this decision even though my husband was not in favor.....however, I knew it had to be my own decision regardless of how he felt....he wasnt the one who was in pain all the time....this is my story and I will never regret having the BR and will be supportive of anyone who needs to do this.

My personal story had a picture of me taken before the surgery....unfortunately I didnt take any pictures of my breasts when they were big....I was trying to forget I had them....anyhow I just posted a picture of me 8 months after the surgery...so much lighter and happier.

8 months after

I tried to update this story with a picture of the new me but the photo didnt show on the page....I will try again.

Update

I wonder if there is a certain size limit on pictures.posted...I have uploaded another one just to see if this one would make it....

Never too old....

Not that I feel "old" at 64 because I am an active person, involved in many activities and feel great. The BR was the best decision I have ever made in my life. I feel like a "normal" person and proud to stick my chest out now.(ha)....For those of you who have been considering doing a BR, my advice to you is listen to yourself....not anyone else, NOBODY else can feel how you feel, not your husband, not your mother, not your friend etc....this is because nobody can understand unless they are pulling around all that extra weight....I have heard of one lady whose breasts were SO big, who was having MAJOR problems with her back, shoulders etc and was recommended by her physiotherapist to consider a breast reduction.....her reason for not doing it....her husband liked her breasts. Please ladies, if this is your excuse, please think of yourself first....no need to live in pain like that....remember, it is your body, noone elses. HONOR YOURSELF.....it will be life-changing for you....
Dr.S

**I must make a note here as my surgery did not cost me anything. It was covered by my Provincial Health plan as it was viewed a necessary, medical procedure rather than cosmetic.

Thanks for your post. I am 61 and had back pain for many decades. Finally had BR 3 weeks ago. I am trying to rest as much as I can. I am also very happy with my decision.
Wonderful - thank you for coming back after a year and giving your encouragement. I am scheduled for November 5th. Even though it is a little scary now it seems like there is no option - I cannot think of continuing with this size and the difficulties. thanks for the update - you look fabulous. I will remember your advise and try to take it easy...............best wishes
I am SO happy for you Tracy.....you will be just fine.....
It is SO true.....you do something like this for YOURSELF, not anyone else.....no one knows what you are feeling both physically and emotionally when it relates to breasts...AND by the time you get to the point of BR, you know you have thought it out and know intuitively that it is the best thing....after all, who would do it for fun right???
You look wonderful!
You look so happy. My Swelling has not gone down. I "had" to go back to work before my PS released me. I go for my 2 week f/u tomorrow. I sure hope I don't get a tongue lashing. Now, I'm worried my swelling is up because I only rested a week. :~{
Everyone is different....you may be just fine....I think it is lifting and moving the arms overhead that you need to watch....good luck with your check-up. p.s. I have read of others going back to work but I can only judge by how I felt....not the same for everyone.
You look so amazing! You must be over the moon!
Still no pics. But your story is very interesting to me. I had my granny takeover (taking back my body after various ravages) Sept 27, TT w MR (muscle repair) and lipo, BR w lift and lipo. I guess I should post a review under this Breast Reduction section. I only have it posted under Mommy Makeover, which I totally don't relate to. I wrote to the website admin to suggest they create a category for us older women to gravitate to that makes sense for us and they're thinking about it. I'm so happy to have found your story. My story is very similar since I was a 38G at 5'6" and 188lbs. Deep grooves in my shoulders. Neck and back pain. But I also have developed an inability to comfortably hold a pen and write!!! I've been checked out by my Dr, a hand specialist and a neurologist, all found nothing. However my Dr agreed there is a nerve that goes from your shoulder down your arm to your hand and if heavy breasts cause a deep groove in the shoulder, that nerve could be pinched!
Hello there.....my friend had problems with her hand, arm and shoulder too and it was caused by her heavy breasts....one whole side was affected...she has also had a BR and doing extremely well, and like myself, seems to have a new lease on life.....
Get out! Really!!??? That's very affirming. Wait until I tell my husband this. And I can't wait until I tell my doctors because I don't think they were completely convinced. Somebody ought to study this!

Welcome to the community and thank you for sharing your journey with us.  I am so happy to hear you love your results and that you feel wonderful.

Thanks for sharing your story. We all have to do what is best for us.