Affirm for Hyperpigmentation - Major Damage - Canada

Approximately 5 1/2 years ago I had a micro laser...

Approximately 5 1/2 years ago I had a micro laser peel. Within a year I developed hyperpigmentation. I sought out a treatment to rectify it and the Affirm was suggested to me. I told the DR I did not want anymore lasers and he assured me that the Affirm was safe and different. Well I did 2 treatments and the results were OK and the pigment returned to a more normal color.

The following 2 years I did one treatment each time with only one cross over, as my face I was told got really red. Even the nurse doing the procedure said "you have really thin skin". Well this year I am paying for it! Under my eyes where the goggles were are sinking in. My skin on my cheeks is thin and I have prickly pain travelling down them and around my mouth and chin. I am developing sores and my face does not hold any moisture. I am living in hell. My sweat glands do not work and my face feels like it is on fire.

How can this treatment be legal? The damage may not show up right away.But it will down the road for all who have done this, for that I am sure.I have had 2 Sculptra treatments to help with the fact that my cheeks are sinking in and are crepey. I am or was a very young looking 36 yr old and now I feel life is over.

Unfortunately the Dr I saw did not recommend Obagi or SkinTX instead or I would have done that had I known it was an option.

How can I go about suing???? -- Updated on Jan 15,...

How can I go about suing???? -- Updated on Jan 15, 2010: I am wondering if anyone else who has had Affirm if terrible symptoms occured a year after last treatment? It feels like something is crawling under my skin and there is absolutely NO MOISTURE in it. It hurts to smile or eat. My skin looks like it had an earthquake under it. Are we the test subjects? Cynosure has to pay for this!

Dr Proskiew

I told the doctor I did not want another laser treatment and he told my that the Affirm was different from all the rest and was safe.....I felt he lied. How can they really know what the long term effects are?

It was this website and the advice of someone that made me not choose laser. Has anyone checked out using at home dermaroller with argan oil and infadolan?
Jane D where is your practice at? I live in NY. I would love to come and see you to have Affirm laser for my skin. Nicolle M
TO MELSH73... I had 2 affirms done. The last one was Sept. 2009. Within months my skin developed keratosis, necrosis, nerve damage, thermal cellular injury, annihilation of my sweat glands with no more sebum production and much more. I have to apply lotion to my face every 20-30 minutes of every day. I have skin worse than women in their 70's and up. I have a prescription from a derm for Diclofenac to heal/kill the burning sensation on my skin and the pain (which feels like bone pain). It works, but also dries my skin more. Maybe some do have good results, but when someone inept does the 'procedure', it's devastating to say the least.
I found that lasers that go deep under the surface of the skin are 1000x hotter than the sun and can create more problems than good results.
I also found, thus far, that the only thing that may help rebuild/renew/heal the damages done, is a stem cell procedure. No lotion or filler will fix damages to that extent.
That being said, as I cannot paste a link on here, just google ipl and laser damage support and click the link to the forum.
You'll need to register first before you can read and discuss your concerns with other members. There is a lot of helpful information on there as well as a fantastic support system. If I ever find an answer/cure, I'll be sure to post it on as many websites as possible!
I am so so sorry about your experience with affirm. My heart goes out to you. In my own quest to better my skin I now have skin damage on my face from a TCA peel don't by an inept doctor. Obaji and mini-peels over the period of 2 years helped. My skin turned dark brown all over and I'm white. I also have done affirm and got little to no results. I also broke out in blisters during one treatment. Where are you located? Do you have a good doctor helping you now?
I'm located in Canada....and no, no doc will help. They seem to be afraid to admit I have laser damage, but when I mention the laser support forum and give them the web address, they all act like it's not important...they don't want to know. Everything is still deteriorating, just not as fast anymore. All I can do is eat as natural as possible, exercise, take supplements and only put things on my face that are as pure or close to natural as possible and never let the sun touch my face. As well, I have to limit my exposure to the elements, which means I rarely leave my house. The day a doc comes up with a cure will be the day that doc becomes a multi-millionaire!
Hello sweetheart. I am so sorry this has happened to you! Google Sea Buckthorn oil supplements. It does wonders to put moisture back into the skin. (as well as hair growth shine and nail growth) I use Seabuck Wonders brand. Also google gelatin and collagen. Don't buy the cheap stuff from the grocery stores. I use Great Lakes gelatin from grassfed cows. Take the 2 tablespoons full every day however you want to prepare it (I use an organic cranberry juice and make jello to eat with dinner). It works over time to build collagen and moisture back into the skin as well as heals the gastrointestinal system. Also, a whole food organic B complex supplement would help you with extra B12 for your nervous system. Synergy Company has an excellent product. They also have a wonderful vitamin c powder product made from organic amla berries. Vitamin c will assist the gelatin to promote collagen. No stomach ache because it's whole organic foods vs. synthetic junk. And make certain to take your D vitamin every day. :) Good luck and wear sunscreen.
Also, a good liquid iodine supplement helps balance the hormones/thyroid as well as gives energy.
Thank you jenn. I already take a lot of vit. C, B complex, 3000ui of vit. D and others. I'll see if I can find some Sea Buckthorn, collagen and gelatin. I greatly appreciate the info!
Anytime. :) The collagen in 2-4 tbls of gelatin should be plenty without supplementing additional collagen. I have read numerous posts about Affirm and several people report radiation damage....omg :( Iodine is known to repair and detox radiation damage from the thyroid and body. :)
I had Affirm a couple times. I didn't get a lot of bumps or goggle eyes,large pores you speak about. I got a couple white bumps but they went away. I went though Erbium laser resurfacing 5 yrs ago that destroyed my skin, too much peeled off, the doctor used too high a setting & made scars around my scars resulting in a hugh patch on one side of my cheek & a dent with a line, brown spot & various scars on the other. I lost 30 lbs from anxiety & am on anxiety meds now. I've been going to a laser specialist since, he's been trying all types of lasers on me. When your that bad for so long you'll try anything. I've have Affirm, Petfecta, smoothbeam, ipl, fraxil & fraxil restore & now having fraxil dual restore. So i know a bit about lasers. Their only good in the right hands. My doctor now won't let me get fraxil repair or anything that takes skin off. It starts to get too thin. I've also had a few at home peels to clear the pores. Nothing above a 30 glycolic or 50 lactic. I've also used dermaroller. I think that is as good as some of the lasers but all i know is skin is hard to repair. I've had fillers too. He doesn't recomend lasers near the eyes, he'd rather people get a filler. The skin is so thin there & at least with a filler if you don't like it,it will go away. About suing. I thought about that, you need a couple doctors to say he did it. It's not a walk in the park. I just kept e mailing the doctor who did the damage every week for over a year, he finally gave me my money back, which i used towards repairing the damage. I've spent thousands & thousands. All i went for is a few little scars that i would gladly take back today instead of the hell i've been going though. No social life. Going out is out of the question, i get panic attacks thinking of the light on my face. I'm hoping the restore will help & I'll dermaroll once a month after that. It's been a long hard road & I'm not at the end of it yet. I can't say all lasers are bad, some have helped but anything to take skin off I would never recomend. Everyones skin is different & can react differently to certain procedures. Just know your not alone. I know how you feel. Just get a good doctor & be gentle with you skin. Take it slow.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

It is now almost a year since your comment. I can't seem to find the pictures you said you would post. Have you done it yet? I would really like to hear how your clients feel about their procedures a year later.

Jane
What did your skin look like before affirm? I would like to see before and after pictures. What is your experience with clients who have deep acne scars?
Then why can't you create your own profile and post positive reviews on those that you have had, post pics, and tell everyone that its been good for you vs. insulting melsh and me? Just a thought.
I have done about 10 to myself and that is why my skin is flawless! So there is my credibility. And all of my clients, family and friends so I dont have to try. No one is knocking anything except you so keep your negative uneducated comments to yourself. I am speaking of facts and reality of this machine of what it is capable of and what it is not. Plain and simple.
Oh! And by the way, I'm 36 and look 25 and just did one last Monday.
Yes,every single one has experienced amazing results. The machine is unable to produce the results that Melsh is experiencing. Where the goggles were, the skin is sinking in? We don't treat that close to the eye with this machine. The orbital bone is where it ends. Crepey skin? This machine treats crepey skin by stimulating more production of collagen, not cause it. Sometimes peoples lives change dramatically for many different reasons and the first thing they look to do is blame the laser when there are other factors that are responsible for these changes. Age, lifestyle, medical conditions, other procedures (peels many times that thin the skin and especially where improper post treatment care is not exercised) etc. Lasers CANNOT cause long term damage. There is NO such thing. Any damage afflicted will be right then and there.
Again, reading this post. You are knocking personal reviews. Please try several sessions on your own skin and then share your experience, it will be much more credible.
I guess you haven't registered and read all the posts on the IPL and Laser Damage Support forum have you?
Jane are you recommending the Affirm laser? After many years of using the Affirm on clients, are they still experiencing good results?
Obviously neither of you read my comment. It is informational for her and others. 100% of the people that read the original post opted to never try laser themselves. That can hurt businesses like mine and the fact is that anyone should not make decisions based on other peoples individual result. Licensed professionals like myself have helped thousands. What I wrote is not "chewing anyone out. That's ridiculous!! I invited her to my office to take a personal look at her to help her as well as gave her tips on what she can do to improve her skin. So before you start saying things like that read the comment clearly because I take pride in my work and that is offensive. An equipment company should not be completely shot down based on what happened in her case. Please read the comment again in entirety. As I stated in my comment. It is great to share your experience. It is not great to demean entire practice. I understand she being upset that's why I offered my help. Oh and Brit, "everyone has a different response was not suggesting that her experience was the different response. Her experience may have been brought on by many other factors. That cannot be determined by emails. I would have to look at her medical history as well as daily skin regime lifestyle etc. Please keep the negativity out of this because I am willing to help. I am merely offering that as well as important factual information. Thank you.
I read your comment before I responded to you. Best of luck in your practice and to your patients.

Hi Jane,

cveroleyva is right. You are doing to melsh exactly what you are upset with them for. This is a community where everyone is free to discuss their experiences in a civil friendly manner, and not judge or chastise someone for describing the outcome of their procedure. You, yourself posted "Everyone has a different response," therefore melsh is speaking of what happened to them. The community appreciates your input, but just remember everyone is different and will experience different reactions.

Thanks,