Radiesse Hand Rejuvenation Caused Pain and Prolonged Swelling-California

I had Radiesse injected into the backs of my hands...

I had Radiesse injected into the backs of my hands to make the veins there less prominent. One syringe per hand was used. The injections weren't painful but the subsequent swelling certainly was! My hands puffed up to twice their size, looking like mitts and the stiffness was terrible, every movement of my hands was painful.

That level of swelling lasted a full two weeks. Once the swelling wore off, my veins looked nearly as prominent as before Radiesse and a couple of months later, I still have a small degree of stiffness in both hands but it is nowhere near what it was.

I think people should be warned that injections into the hands DO have these potential side effects, plus in my opinion, 1 syringe per hand is not enough product to camoflage protruding veins, it just added a degree of volume but one would need 2 syringes per hand to disguise large, raised veins in my opinion. I am convinced it is the prohibitive cost of Radiesse that prompts the "1 syringe per hand is enough" from providers. Few people would be willing to start out with a total of 4 syringes.

Despite the long-lasting discomfort endured post-injection, I am considering getting another syringe injected into each hand as the symptoms did eventually abate and now I have no discomfort most of the time - just a bit of residual stiffness/achiness but not enough to be bothersome.

My doctor is a skilled injectionist who is also a surgeon so has great knowledge of the body, vein systems etc. therefore I trust her with administering injectable fillers correctly. I have also had Radiesse injected into my smile lines and upper cheekbone area by the same doctor and had NO bruising whatsoever. I think hands are just very sensitive, delicate areas.

A dermatologist whom I used for injections of Sculptra in my face is about 50 years old. The back of one hand is "normal" and his other has been injected with Sculptra. The injected hand looks much better but then he isn't very old and I don't know how much Sculptra he uses or how much. He said a hand surgeon had shown him how to do the injections.
I went ahead and got additional Radiesse injected into the backs of my hands, but only 1/2 syringe in each hand as my doctor said I did not need a full syringe in each and could always add more later.

She felt that using less would be wise in light of the pain and stiffness I experienced the first time. She also felt I would see good improvement after this 2nd treatment.

I am happy to say that I experienced NO stiffness or pain this time. There was no discomfort whatsoever, but there was also very little lasting result!

I had swelling that began 4 days post-injection (painless swelling) that lasted about a week and during that time, my hands looked GREAT! Like an 18 year olds, totally smooth, firm and veinless! I was thrilled.

Then the swelling went down and my prominent veins came right back into view. Sigh. As bad as before the additional 1/2 syringe in each hand.

Conclusion: Disappointed. Wish I'd gotten 1 full syringe per hand instead of 1/2 a syringe this time. I'll always wonder if more would have yielded a better result.

Maybe I'm just one of the unfortunate few for whom Radiesse is not an effective solution for hand veins.

Hi California,

Well, maybe your doctor was just trying to be safer by using only half a surgeon. Are you able to go back and get another half put in? Please keep us updated.

Hi California,

Wow, I've never heard of anyone having filler put into their hands. You said you would go back for more even though you hands still are stiff, but gave it an unsure rating. Shouldn't it be a "worth it" rating because you would go back? I'm just not positive if you liked it or not? Thanks for being part of the community and please keep me updated.

Thanks,

Hi, Britt

Hand rejuvenation with Radiesse is a very common procedure these days so not sure why you haven't heard of it, it's offered by most med spas as well as dermatologists and plastic surgeons.

The whole process took about 5 minutes!

But no, I would not give the procedure a rating of "worth it" yet.

I gave the procedure an "unsure" because it did not produce the desired results and caused prolonged discomfort (swelling/stiffness), plus I cannot be certain that a 2nd treatment will deliver major improvement.

A 2nd syringe in each hand is often required for optimal results but my doctor said most people only want to pay for 1 syringe for each hand, so that is the standard amount used.

I got special pricing on the 1st treatment and am getting special pricing on the 2nd treatment (I wait for specials! plus the 2nd treatment is considered a "touch up"), only having to pay for 1 of the additional 2 syringes that will be used.

But it will still add up to having spent $1,400 so not a cheap procedure.

If I had to pay full price for each syringe used for the 1st & 2nd treatments, the procedure would cost $3,600!! and I would be VERY dissatisfied with the minimal results I got from the 1st treatment had I paid $1,600 for it instead of $800.

Fortunately for me, I did not require the companion procedure many people get with Radiesse hand rejuvenation -- many also have to get a laser treatment for age spots and loose skin. I only have prominent veins!

Just want my hands to match my young-looking face!

The Radiesse hand rejuvenation procedure will get a "worth it" rating from me if the 2nd treatment (which I'm getting this week) yields the results I expected after the 1st treatment, e.g. complete resolution of the veiny appearance on the backs of the hands.

It is too costly a procedure to be worth it for minimal improvement.

Will let you know how it turns out! (after all swelling subsides)

Thanks for your comment and good luck if you decide to try it!

Hi California,

Thanks for all the info and yes please do keep us updated.

Thanks,

-Britt

Hi California, I had two syringes of Voluma (more expensive than Radiesse) injected in each hand and the Co2 laser treatment with a highly qualified cosmetic surgeon in NYC. It was very costly. After my hands had healed, I still had veins showing, the surgeon suggested that he inject one syringe of Radiesse in each hand to give me a better result. Approximately 4 hours after the Radiesse injections both hands swelled up twice their size, the stiffness was so painful that I could barely move my hands. The swelling subsided in a couple of weeks, but the joint pain continues. It's now been about 6 weeks since the procedure and my hands do not look appreciably different than before. I think Radiesse is dangerous and would not recommend that anybody put it into their bodies. Google "bad reactions from Radiesse." I've had other fillers in my face and never has a problem, I had no reaction to Voluma but Radiesse is different. The entire experience has been very, very disappointing and frightening.