Only a Few Days out but I Look So Small, I Feel I Look Like a Board. Help - California, CA

I'm really concerned. I am a few days out from...

I'm really concerned. I am a few days out from lipo to the upper lower ab, hips, thighs. I have bathed and took a look at myself in the mirror, I am really regretting the hip liposuction. I feel that I look straight up and down like a board. I am wondering since I am so soon out of surgery and already looking like this does this mean my feminine shape will never return? I feel so uncomfortable to sleep. I cannot sleep on my sides and when I sleep on my back I feel there is not enough fat left in my upper back of the hips to support and cushion me comfortable. I regret not having better communication with my surgeon. I am so worried about this. Someone please advise. Thanks.

Hi loveheartlove888. I'm so sorry for your concern. Did you get the Operative Report to see exactly how much was removed? How much did he tell you he'd remove? How fit were you before surgery, weight, height.... Keep us posted.
I totally understand your concerns. I am 12 days post op from Lipo on my upper/lower abs, flanks & inner thighs. The board shape was a concern of mine right away as well. It turns out I was much more swollen than I had thought. As the swelling became better & better each day my feminine shape began to reveal itself. I continue to wear by 'binder' 24/7 with an hour off here & there for shower Etc. my dr recommended 24/7 wear for the first 3 weeks then 12 hour wear for week 4 & 5. I am so surprised with the amount of pain I am experiencing. I continue to take ibuprofen every 6 hours to help. Sleeping has been horrible because of pain & getting up to go to the bathroom since I am drinking so much water throughout the day. My husband tried to encourage me because Im beginning to get the blues with everything & the results are not appearing as quickly as Id like. Positive additude & patience is what I tell myself. But that is hard when it is 90 degrees & I'm stuck in this binder that comes to my knees! Good luck on your recovery & keep your head up.
The discomfort sleeping is normal and it may last another week or so. It will also take a while for your final shape to appear so hold off on worrying until you're at the 6 month mark. I'm surprised you don't have swelling! I had lipo on a lot of areas and my hips did feel different (not as curvy) but my waist is still a little swollen so I'm thinking once it stops swelling there will be more curve between my waist and hips. Posting a pic of yourself before and after would help us with our responses! Hang in there, it does get better!

po photos

I'm only a few days out but I am very worried. Feel way too much fat was taken out especially from side and back of my hips leaving my bottom very small and no shape. I am in so much discomfort and having emotional anxieties about this. I spoke to the doctor, he says he sucked a lot of fat and I'm going to love it and that nobody complains about having too much fat removed. I am very concerned and confused and wondering what healing with be like and if revision healing is as difficult? I feel my hips and the outer ones are hard, I think the muscle is very close the the skin and I see dents where my back hip was. My mom is trying to convince me to not stress and focus on the good. I'm trying.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

po photos. really regretting this.

Painful, numb, shock to my system worried about recovery. I have no appetite. Haven't had a bowel movement since the 29th, doctor said to use fleet enema. I had a hard time with it, not working well. I took some stool softener, hopefully it will help. Didn't feel comfortable with the way the doctor spoke to me when I expressed my concerns. I wish I understood more about what this surgery entails, I would have had less areas liposuctioned or just focused on fitness since I only needed to lose about 15 pounds. I'm looking back on this and wish I had chosen a doctor with both credentials and good communication skills. I felt credentials was so important but thinking back there were serious problems with communication.

Hi loveheartlove888, I can't give any medical advice but it's my understanding from reading liposuction texts and journal articles that doctors have to record the amount of aspirated fluid removed their operative report. I'm not telling you to do so, but fyi, a patient can request the operative report and their records in writing. I find it absurd that he said that nobody complains about having 'too much' fat sucked out. Too much is too much, and if it's against consent that is really disturbing. Has he followed patients down through the years to see how they fared, or does just assume that if they seem okay a fee months later that means that they are okay? My experience with the board certified surgeon who did reconstructive surgery on me is that he only treated me defensively, not with concern that he ruined my body and health. Hopefully for you, your healing will get better every day. To find a community of people who have experienced clear problems with liposuction, you may want to look at the thread, 'Did you gain weight after liposuction?'

Impressions of liposuction first week. Really really regret it.

Everything hurts. I'm having anxiety about what the future holds whether this will cause permanent pain. The back of my hips are numb and there is indent where the fat used to be. My stomach feels weird numb. Too many multiple areas liposuctioned. I am so unhappy. I feel like parts of me have been removed and I'm seeing how extremely unnatural this is. I was not going towards my goal of being healthy and fit by doing this procedure I was going away from it. I had to use an enema to go to the bathroom because I am not eliminating on my own. I am so regretful that I had not taken the 6 months estimate of recovery and done something positive with my life instead such as building close relationships with those I love and taking care of myself, I am sure if I had just spend the 6 months treating my health and well being as a priority I would have lost the weight and it would feel normal and natural. This is made out to be such a simple procedure but from my experience I'm feeling this is a major major medical procedure. I regret trusting the doctor based on his credentials rather than really seeing his personality issues for what they are.

Hard time sleeping

2am very sleepy but cannot sleep. Feeling pain and numbness along with chills and the lumpiness of laying on my lower back plus the psychological trauma cause me to wake up frequently. I just took a sleeping pill prescribed by the doctor. Wish I never did this procedure. Too much fat removed. I don't feel right, very numb painful and the recovery is way too intense. I never thought I would love my old tummy but I truly love it now fat and all. I love all my old rolls of fat, they cushioned me, I felt comfortable. If anyone knows how I can speed up this recovery please let me know. I'm worried when the swelling goes down I will be even more boney which will be very uncomfortable. Still haven't had a bowel movement on my own. Water enema helped. Please pray for me thanks.

Have you tried Cal Mag for your constipation? You drink it and it should clean you out (it's used to prep patients for operations). Ask your pharmacist. Also, I slept on a wedge of memory foam for the first few weeks as it hurt to lie on my side and stomach.. and back come to think of it. It helped cushion my sore areas so I could at least rest (sort of..) The first 2 weeks are rough. I am so sorry you are going through such an ordeal.
Thanks, I will try to find that today. Right now I am doing water enemas, it's a bit hard with all the pain to get in the right position to do them. Thanks for the support.
Hi, I am so sorry for what you are going through. Please try those remedies the others have suggested because I can imagine enemas would be very difficult. Also try to document, as you have been doing and as Patient Awareness has suggested, so that you have a record and can reflect back later on what has happened. I hope it all turns out okay for you; but please try to take care of your immediate health and mental state. Don't go into long term worries. Just my opinion. Just focus on healing your body. Keep us updated...because we DO care!

burning pain hips

I was a bit better mentally today although I'm still in pain. I think the prescription sleeping pill really helped to calm my anxieties. My hips have a constant warmth? feeling and ache and when I get up it is very very sore and achy. I'm very uncomfortable. I don't know how I'm going to function like this but I'm trying to stay positive to turn this into something good be a stronger person, love those around me and be appreciative. I'm trying to remind myself that this is just a body that contains my spirit and it is my spirit that needs to shine through. I am lucky to have a couple people in my life who I know will be there for me but I feel like I have caused such a burden to them and to expose them to this is unfair. I've thought on my fat, I think the extra fat rolls have a purpose now. They remind us of our issues that we need to work on, perhaps we over eat from stress or neglect ourselves by eating foods that are not the best healthy. It is an opportunity to work on oneself by truly taking care of themselves. This liposuction has not been what I imagined so far. If anything it has caused my health to decline. I miss my fat. I also think fat protects, it surrounds toxins I truly believe that. Once the toxins are released the fat often will release. Why I didn't commit myself to these ideas rather than opting for surgery I have no idea.

Why don't you post your concerns to the Ask a Doctor section? Ask about the warmth you are feeling and the dents and your concern about too much fat taken away. You might as well get other doctors input. What does your own PS say?? What has he said so far? Are you able to massage any areas or is it still too sore? I'm surprised that you feel better with the compression garment off. I felt better with it on as my skin felt detached from my body..ask a doctor about that too.. I used cool gel packs under each hip when I lay down and kept a fridge full of them so I always had them chilled to cushion the pain spots in my hips and lower back. I stand by my statement earlier when I said it will get better. Your pain will reduce as the tissues begin to mend. You will be more mobile and able to get around easier.. Considering the trauma of the procedure, it will take time for the healing process to do its thing.. That being said, make all your concerns known to your PS and maybe your own GP and have all your concerns addressed by professionals. I agree with you that this is a major procedure and the recovery can be brutal. I was not aware how intense it was going to be either. I think it's also because we had a lot of areas done. Stay positive and try not to focus on regret, it will suck out the energy you need to stay as upbeat as possible. You are still you. : )

Pain and swelling in hip area

My mobility is really afftected. Pain and swelling in the hip area especially where I felt really too much fat was removed. Doctor says it's going to be perfect and this numbness is normal and sensation will return. I don't think this is normal. Having a hard time getting comfortable sleeping. I don't understand why doctor was so aggressive. I'm not able to care of my dog right now or do much for myself. I am worried about being able to return to work. I'm very worried and I feel very bad for my loved ones who have to witness this and take care of me. I'm worried for my health. Please pray for me. Thanks.

TIred

Pain and swelling in hips makes it hard to sleep although I am tired a lot. Bowel movements still very constipated. No appetite. Trying to research the best way to heal from liposuction. I think doctor did very aggressive lipo on me especially in the hip and inner thigh area. My mobility is really poor due to the swelling, pain and stiffness in the hips. I am worried how I will care for my dog. Hard to find a comfortable position to sleep in since so many areas were liposuctioned and the back and side hips hurt and swell the most. I do not recommend having multiple procedures and I think doctors should explain to patients how much they are taking out and the difference in recovery between.

Research

Trying to research best way to prevent internal scarring since I am worried that the doctor may have liposuctioned too close to the muscle. If anyone knows of any supplements please share. I'm wondering about serrapeptase or some form of enzyme. I have a lot of swelling in the hip and back area which I am sure was over liposuctioned. I'm just hoping it resolves and does not turn into anything more serious if scar tissue builds up. The areas that hurt the most with the worst swelling and painful pulling feeling are the ones where he was way too aggressive and surprisingly I feel are the places not recommended for being aggressive, inner thighs, hips and I'm finding out flanks although afterwards he said they remove the most in those areas? I really don't understand what happened. Very hard to sleep or do activities because of the swelling and pain in hips and flanks. I have a lot of time to sit around and notice that the fat rolls and curve that women have are beautiful. It seems an abomination to remove the things that make us a woman, it's not attractive to remove those things. Why remove the flanks or the hips? They are beautiful. I see many reviews on here of women who don't think they're thin enough even after they have had liposuction and look very slim. The media is really affecting our judgment in a negative way and there are people willing to take advantage. For sure I think the amount of procedures needs to be regulated. Doctors should not suggest so many procedures especially if someone is not much over their ideal weight. I believe if I had only done 2-3 areas I would be much better physically and mentally right now.

I'm sorry that you seem to be struggling so much with the decisions that you've made. Have you considered seeking out some therapy to get through this? At some point you need to move your focus off your body and put your energies into something that will make you happy! Family, friends, pets, etc... get out there and make yourself happy. You deserve it.

Hip is very swollen. Flanks are completely numb and tender and firm, I think because they are so close to the muscle. Doctor says I may have a serroma but to wait a week and see. I mentioned again that I am concerned too much was taken off my hip and flanks that is why I'm having these problems, he says it's in my imagination. Be very careful when having plastic surgery a distance from your home, consider that you may need aftercare and how you will feel driving or flying a distance to see your surgeon. I hope things get better soon. I'm trying to eat very healthy, fruits and vegetables but I am also afraid of losing weight since so much was removed. This is really a nightmare for me. I'm lucky to have some really wonderful people who love me enough to stick with me through all this but I feel terrible for putting them through this.

Hi loveheartlove 888' how do you feel when he says its all in your imagination? Do you think it is, or do you think there's a problem? Are you very mobile yet? How's t your pain and sleeping?
Hey, I feel upset when he says it's all in my imagination. I have been trying to say there is something wrong but all he says is it's going to be great stay positive and that there is nothing wrong because he doesn't do that. And if this is in my imagination then why is the swelling, pain and numbness and now possible serroma in the same area? I am not very mobile yet. My friend takes me for drives and to walk my dog. I was able to walk a little with my dog but I was very very uncomfortable and there is no way I could care for my dog on my own. Sleeping is difficult because my hips are very swollen and my flanks and hips are both tender. There is no way to get comfortable. I woke up twice with pain in my calf but the doctor does not think it's a blood clot. I truly wish he had taken the time to discuss everything with me and how much pain and mobility issues I could experience with more procedures. My friend and family are worried and I fear depressed. I would appreciate any prayers.
I am so sorry. I came out of surgery convulsing, with numb hands and feet, a horrible metallic taste in my mouth, freezing to my core, disfigured due to over resection, and in pain that is far beyond what I could have imagined was even possible. The surgeon operated beyond need or consent. The surgeon tried to act like this was somehow in my mind. He clearly didn't want to 'admit' to the fact that he performed an anatomically unsuited, negligent surgery, which he clearly did. I've suggested this before: can you get to another doctor? Someone who will do a thorough hands-on physical, someone you trust, who will listen to you? Bring your before and current photos. When you go, I suggest you have your mother or friend present in the exam with you. This isn't medical advice, just a suggestion from another woman who is cares and is concerned. Keep us posted.

Sad

Hips very swollen, pain. Even so this morning I woke up and looked in the mirror I can see my pelvic and lower hip bone protruding. All my feminine curves are gone and I am very depressed. On top I have pain in multiple areas. Way too much liposuction for my size. I am hoping there is some way to correct this in the future but I am having my doubts as I read more about correcting over aggressive liposuction.

Swollen

I have to drive hours to my ps to check on my swollen hip. It's very uncomfortable. When I lift my chin I can see and feel hardened lines. My flanks are hard and numb. Was not expecting such aggressive liposuction. Feel pulling in thighs when I move my legs. Stomach and outer thighs feel better.

Hey I responded on my page but just wanted to say stay patient, I had lots of pain in legs from lipo and numbness and honestly I didn't feel completely normal til 6 months post op...so don't freak out. Its a long recovery process
Hello dear, the healing process with lipo is no easy task, but it will truly be worth it once your body adjusts. Remain positive, you look great!
hey just wanted to see how you were doing, both physically and mentally? if you are feeling really anxious and just need to relax, try some guided meditations from glenn harold on itunes. they helped me to deal with the emotions and just get back to deep breathing and taking in moment. i hope you are well. i know this was a surprise to you and you were feeling sad and had some guilt. we are all here to support you. i pray you are doing better.

Trying to gain weight

I've been trying to gain weight. My doctor first mentioned that I should not gain weight but later when I complained that all the fat is gone from the front to the back of my hips and up my flanks he said I could try to gain weight, very confusing. I have been eating like crazy but I get on the scale in the morning and I am 6 pounds under the weight that I was on the date of my surgery. I'm a little worried that my main fat stores have been taken out so I have no idea where the excess calories and fat will go? It doesn't seem to be going anywhere really noticeable except my breasts and my cheeks are getting fuller. Hoping to gain weight for this to either improve or so that I can get a fat transfer back to my hips and upper butt. It's really miserable, I took a walk on the beach the other evening but I couldn't enjoy it, I am scared of exercising because I don't want to burn calories.

I thought I would mention the type of liposuction used on me was PAL, power assisted. I'm finding out this tool can cause really bad complications in the wrong hands and that the pioneers of this tool stopped using it.

I completely agree with the last comment below. Hang in there.
You are definitely going through a lot of post op turmoil and I just want to say - do not make any major decisions while in recovery. Wait those few months and if you speak to another plastic surgeon or your doctor and still feel concerns then seek a resolution.
Thanks for the advice.

Hips pre surgery

Oh my goodness. I am getting lipo December 6th in the Dominican Republic. After reading all of these post I feel worried.
Hi, I think it's good you have that sensation of 'worry' because that means you are looking more carefully at what can happen. And the truth about it is that not only can a surgeon cause problems for a body, but the biology of fat *in* the body can cause other problems (redistribution of fat; which doctors try to fluff off as only a matter of diet and exercise but if that were true, wouldn't we all be dieting and exercising ourselves to the perfect body we want?). I wish you luck in researching this very carefully. Read the thread: Did you gain weight after liposuction? Don't be afraid to not get it done in December, even if you think you might later on. One woman made a really good point, that I wish I had done as well: Spend the money on a personal trainer and dietitian rather than this surgery. Sadly I am made aware of this mistake every single day many times per day, by the uncomfortable and unattractive features my body now has. Good luck!
Yes, Sundogcoyote is giving good advice. I wish I knew about all these posts myself. Take your time, you have all the time to decide and make an informed decision before doing anything. Consult with a lot of doctors first, many give free consultations. After you do your research ask lots of questions, if your doctor is dishonest with you about anything or does not take the time to explain details and listen to you then don't go to him because he doesn't have your best interest. From what I'm reading liposuction is not good but at least fat graft preserves some of your vital fat and may deter the redistribution and hormonal issues that people complain about. I've been trying to gain weight since the liposuction because I felt so bad and looked anorexic but now my face and breasts are getting chubby while the rest of my body remains similar in shape. My natural warning signs are missing, before liposuction when I wasn't eating right/ taking care of myself it would show in my belly. If your doctor says he's going to liposuction a little ask him exactly where and how much. My doctor said a little on the hips during consultation but it was not.

Breasts getting enormous while hips show little progress

Just want to say make sure to find a surgeon who will consider your body shape and symmetry as a whole maybe even take into consideration the changes through pregnancy, weight gain, weight loss. Everything should be in harmony. My doctor instructed me that I should gain weight if I was not happy with the aggressive liposuction to my hips. I have been working on gaining weight however my breasts are becoming enormous. I mean abnormally enormous so on top of worrying about sagging overly large breasts now my curvy upper body does not match the the no curves lower body that the doctor gave me. At this moment I am just really disappointed in my surgeon and I have no idea why he would remove almost all the fat from my hips and flanks leaving me with no curves when I had largish breasts to start with which are even larger now. Also, I'm not sure why but it seems having so little padding from the front to the back of my hips makes me feel off balance while walking as well.

Hi I hope you are able to gain the weight I'm sorry you aren't happy.. I'm sure you will be able to gain more weight in a couple months. Who was your doctor?
Love did you take your pictures down?
Yes, but you can see my recent pictures after 30 pound weight gain on my recent question Do I Have Enough Fat for BBL Post Liposuction. You can see how ugly my new shape is. Top heavy, apple shaped belly with no butt or hips because the lipo was so aggressive on my hips and flanks. I think it's at the bottom of all the questions I asked the doctors. I was 5'8 145 and my ps lipoed 7 areas of my body and aggressively to my hips, flanks and inner thighs. I looked anorexic after my surgery and the hip lipo along with flank lipo took away my beautiful natural curves. So sad.