Veneers - One of the Worst Decisions I've Made!

I had the top front 6 teeth veneered. I had...

I had the top front 6 teeth veneered. I had bonding on these teeth before which i was happy with cosmetically, i just didn't like having to repair them when they chipped. I was told veneers would be superior in durability and cosmetics by my dentist. I'll summarize the problems: -The veneers came back the first time looking different than the wax-up. They also left small gaps at the gumline. -The 4 teeth that I had re-done came back looking good at the gumline, but one front tooth was longer and thicker than the other. I'm still in the process of trying to get it fixed. The lab was absolute sh** as far as i'm concerned, i thought the whole point of veneers was to get perfect teeth. Both cases were far from perfection. The veneers look ok after the dentist fixed them, but i wouldn't say they look much better than the bonding, which was WAY cheaper and with way less risks.

So in summary, if at all possible just go with bonding, if you don't like the results its easy to re-do and the integrity of the original tooth hasn't been compromised. Getting veneers is by tied for worst decision of my life along with not going back to university sooner.

I do think my dentist is good, he did a good job placing the veneers both times, and he has done a good job trying to reshape the veneers. He really really needs to find a better lab though. I don't care if it costs more, when you are spending that much money, they should come back perfect.

I would love to know about the credentials of the dentists who did the veneers where the posters have had problems. Any dentist can call him or herself a cosmetic dentist, even without a single shred of experience! Always look for a dentist with lots of actual experience doing cosmetic dentistry, and who has completed post-graduate training at a quality institution such as LVI (Las Vegas Institute) or the Pankey Institute. Veneers and any costmetic dentistry, for that matter, is an investment in yourself. Make sure you find an appropriately trained and experienced dentist. If you're just shopping around for a cheap deal, or think your family dentist is good enough, please be intelligent about your decision and go to someone who has a great reputation as a cosmetic dentist. I've had veneers for over 15 years and had only one come off (in the first 3-4 months after application). Ever since, they have been perfect and they still look and feel great. Also, most quality cosmetic dentists today are focused on tooth conservation and grind as little of the tooth down as possible.
Hi 5097anon, I found your review on here when I was searching info on veneers. I too have had chips (2) times on the right tooth, just a tiny chip at the bottom, and now I have one at the very bottom of my left. The right was fixed twice I assume with bonding but wasn't told by my dentist. He continues to push veneers for my eight upper front teeth but said 6 at the very least, otherwise the teeth will be unmatched. My teeth are all straight and fairly healthy but the enamel quite worn on the two front teeth. I was thinking about the veneers, but don't have $6,000 cash and would need to finance. In reading your review I would be so devastated if I financed that amount of money when there clearly are other options even if I do have to get them fixed now and again. I have to say your teeth really do look great. Did you post any before pictures? Do you feel any better now about having this done? I'm not sure what to do so I asked a question to a dentist on here and am now searching others opinions on whether or not they feel the money was worth it. If my teeth were all junked up in the front I wouldn't give it a second thought, but all this money on the other 4 teeth when it's only the two front ones that continue to chip? I have an appointment for the veneers but am having second thoughts. For that amount of money I want to be happy about the results.
Hi Pittsburgh239, I love your little puppy -he is so sweet!. I woulg advise any-one not to have them done. I had them because I have sjorgrens syndrome, which reduces the saliva in your mouth ,
Thanks Annben.. I really appreciate your reply and others experiences written on here. It has helped tremendously with my decision. Can't thank everyone enough... I will update tomorrow after my appointment.
@Pittsburgh9239:  Good luck at your appointment tomorrow.  Bonding is, indeed, the other tooth repair that is usually done for small chips.  Do you know what is causing the chipping?  Some people get it from bruxism or bite issues, though your bite looks fine in your picture.  Or is it just the same chips that come back when your previous repair falls out?

Also, know that there are some veneers, like Lumineers, that are done with no prep.  Still, bonding is the least invasive and most reversible.
I agree with you. I've had 8-veneers done twice, once was by choice and pure vanity reasons when I was younger, and the second was due to a fall which broke 3-teeth. I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. The most horrible, regrettable decision of my entire life. I feel your pain. Veneers may look cosmetically great, but the pain and damage to the teeth are not worth it at all.

I had venners, and is my worst experience , in my front teeth, totally horrible results, depressed :-(

Your teeth look great!!
They are not my teeth -they belong to some model on the website!
I actually don't think that you could fix staining with bonding. As far as I know bonding is just to fix chips, gaps, or to contour the edges of teeth. I've never heard of anyone getting bonding placed on the front surface of their teeth, as it would most likely look bulky. When veneers are placed they shave a portion of the tooth down, so once the veneer is placed, it is the same thickness as the original tooth. Veneers might be the only option to fix staining, but if the staining isn't all that bad it might not be worth the trouble. Veneers definitely look nice, but I'd only recommend them if your teeth are quite bad.
I talked to a great dentist about it, you do shave down the front part of the tooth a bit and place it overtop. I have it done for a tiny chip on the front of my tooth and it covers the mild staining no problem. There's this acid stuff called "abrasive whitening" he's going to try first, you apply it gently and it may remove it as well which would be the least harsh but I can't do anything until after my baby is born. It's not super noticeable hardly anyone notices it but it has always bothered me. We'll see what happens :)
I have permanent stains on my teeth cause of meds my mom was on while she was pregnant, i talked to my dentist and all she wants to do is veneers. Makes me skeptical because it's the most expensive option and my teeth aren't unhealthy just mild discoloration that could be fixed with bonding. Don't know if it's worth fixing as its not that noticeable but maybe in the future
Hey Brooke,

No, I haven't had anything done since the last post. I think I'll end up just replacing the front two teeth, which will make them look much better. I'm back at university right now, so I'm going to wait and see if I get my old job back for next summer as well. If I do, I'll be set up very nice financially, so I'll go ahead and get them fixed to my standards.
Thank-you girls for taking the time to respond. I am very gratefulfor your help.
Best wishes,
Ann
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience :( Have you had anything else done since your last post?

For what it's worth, I think your teeth look great! I saw the photo on the main reviews page and didn't even realize you'd said this was "not worth it" until I read the whole thing.

That being said, I can appreciate your frustration with the situation. But you did come out of it with a perfect smile in my opinion :)

I have sjorgrens syndrome, which left my teeth brown and revolting. My dentist suggested veneers- I had eight across the top. What a nightmare! they broke, came off constantly and then developed bacteria under neath them, leaving them looking black. I wish I had never had them done.My dentist KNEW I had sjorgrens. I want them all taken off. What do you advise. please?thank-you. Ann U.K

Annben, since you have such a unique situation you might want to post a question in our Q&A section. The dentists that volunteer on here will be able to share their opinions with you that way.

I think you have a nice looking smile.
I agree with making sure the dentist you use has special training and certification in the area of cosmetic dentistry. Everyone wants to jump on board and call themselves cosmetic dentists, when in fact they are experimenting on you. I have found out the hard way, and it also hurt my wallet. But what is worse is the horrible way my teeth turned out. But to the guy in this post, your teeth are gorgeous. I think you are being too critcal. I will trade with you.
Well, I'm another vote for bonding. I had a really nice bonding job that lasted for 15+ years. I had moved to a new city when it was time to redo it and the new dentist was crap. She bonded over the old bonding. I didn't realize you couldn't do that and apparantly, neither did she. So, it quickly began peeling off. I went to a dentist who was billed as a cosmetic dentist and she removed all the bonding, new and old, and did some bleaching on my tetracycline stains. She talked me into Lumineers which was a big mistake. That has been a 5 year nightmare that I won't go into here. I've got so many that are cracked and stained. I'm going to get them removed and, hopefully, have found the right dentist to do bonding this time. It's less invasive and way less expensive. My teeth never looked bulky with the bonding, not the first time around when it was done right. They didn't look fake, either. My original dentist had a light hand, I think. I've done a lot of research this time and think I've found a dentist (an older one) who is still good at bonding.
Peach 67, what did you end up doing? I have tetracycline staining too. I had veneers put on a long time ago to cover them. It is time to replace my veneers. They are chipped, stained & 25 years old. I always wondered about bonding. Did it cover your tetracycline stains?
Hi Peach67, Yes it did , but they kept breaking off and at the top ofte tooth , where the gums have begun to receed, thedentist has just put filler, which is not even the same colour as my veneer. Everytime one breaks i have to pay for a new veneer , and they are not cheap. If i go on holiday or to a wedding, I am always sfraid they will fallout. Also on two of te veneers , she has cut away too much of the real tooth, and they are really painful now and snsitive. You have done really well to have kept them for 25 years -mine are cracking every year or more. How many have you got?best wishes, Ann
It sounds like the problem was due to the dentist and maybe the lab used, and not the product itself - porcelain veneers. I would not recommend bonding over porcelain veneers based on my personal experience with both. I had my teeth bonded before I got porcelain veneers. The difference is night and day. With the bonding, my teeth were thicker, like pegs, because the dentist didn't remove much tooth structure. It was difficult to bite into a sandwich or a piece of pizza. The bonded teeth certainly looked better than my own tetracycline-stained teeth, but in comparison to porcelain veneers, they were not attractive. Porcelain veneers are lustrous, translucent and life-like. They look just like natural teeth. I don't think bonding, even though the bonding materials have advanced, can mimic the appearance of natural teeth like porcelain veneers can.

Based on my knowledge and experience when looking for an excellent cosmetic dentists, there's one the the little secret most dentists won't tell you! Any general dentist can call him or herself a cosmetic dentist, regardless of whether or not he or she has had advanced, post-graduate training in cosmetic dentistry. This is because there's no specialty defined for cosmetic dentistry. When searching for a cosmetic dentist, look for someone with a great reputation as a cosmetic dentist (and I would bet that along with that - he or she uses a great lab), who has lots of experience and happy patients, and advanced training in cosmetic dentistry (e.g. LVI in the U.S.) Also, don't make your choice based on price. The cheapest isn't always the best. The old adage, you get what you pay for, can apply.
In this photo these teeth look amazing! Are these the veneers that are causing the problem?