50 Years Old and Finally Decided. .... Calgary, AB

I have always been large breasted...and have...

I have always been large breasted...and have thought about reduction for a long while. Despite what (most?) men, and some small breasted women think, being very heavy in the breasts is not fun and more often than not completely exhausting. We have sore backs, limited activity and unwanted attention.
I am currently a 38 F, although for so long I was wearing the incorrect bra until I went for a correct sizing. Do you know what it costs to buy anything over D?
So I finally got the courage 2 years ago to put myself on the waiting list. In Alberta we are able to have reduction surgery covered under our health care for obvious medical reasons, and being large with extreme back problems is certainly a factor
in this. The down side is a 2 year wait......and so here I am , having waited 23 months and I am finally booked for April 16.....I am sooo scared/excited and every single blog has helped me in my journey thus far...and so I under the value of sharing your experience and I want to do the same. So here I am...

1 week and 1 day to go

Wow, I can't believe how fast time has gone. My reduction is next Wednesday! I am trying to remain calm but I have now started to have dreams, odd anad sometimes distrubing dreams about the reduction. I know it's just anxiety. I have read many blogs, thanks to all for sharing the most intimate deatils of your experiences.
I finally have a "before" picture, I will post soon.
I worry about the healing time (I'm only taking 12 days off work), I work at a desk so I think I'll be ok, but still worred. I worry about the awkwardness of coming back to an office with lots of men (only 3 people know so far). I worry that my husband will find my breasts unattractive afterwards. But despite all that, I look in the mirror and see how clothes fit, see how very large and uncomfortable I am, and feel the pain in my back every single day and I know I'm doing this for me, and me alone.

Picture coming in a few days.......

before.... indeed

6 more sleeps..

So here is my before. ..... six more sleeps and I'm crazy nervous and scared. But now you can see how very large I am and even though my loving husband is all behind me I know he is sad. I'm not sad because I am tired of carrying around these girls. I just want to try on normal bras and normal fun clothes. ... thank you to all the brave ladies who have shared. ..truly thank you...

2 days pre-op

in roughly 48 hours I'll be on the other side. I am just so nervous right now! I have stomach jitters and feel very distracted at work. I pretty much have the "worries" about everything imaginable. My husband reassures me he'll be there for me through-out, and I know that's true. Still, I'm the one who has to journey to the other side alone..
I bought an Adoriwear bra that I've seen recommended, came in the mail today but silly me chose the wrong size and I'm swimming in it now (image later!) so I'll have to see if I can return it :(, if it had fit it looks wonderful!
I'll try to check in tomorrow, maybe with a few pre-photos...until then......

pre-op bras

bras

Here are two of my everyday bras. Probably not really the right size. Blue one is 38DDD

post op

On the other side. All the worry is over. One of my biggest fears being the anesthetic and that was a breeze. My surgeon was amazing. He told he took off a total of 2kg! You can imagine what a difference that made. It will take some getting used to. I was an F now am probably a large C! Already my back feels relief. He also did liposuction on the sides to give me a better shape. This is what hurts the most! Iam very sore and stiff but percoset has been my friend. No drains! (Yeah). Ican shower in a few days (yeah).
Pictures coming as soon as I'm up to it.

day 4 post op

Here's some advice that I read other ladies post and anyone who is still pre op take note..bring a pillow for the ride home,every bump in the road is felt. Also put a pillow under your knees when sleeping, it saves your lower back.
I get to shower today and am looking so forward to that. I had a bit of bleeding in my left nipple yesterday that kind of
freaked me out but I think it was because I tried to
rearrangemy ppillows by myself, bad idea.
I am a bit scared to take off my surgical bra today and really see what my breasts are doing under there. Pain has lessened, lipo area is still the sorest, but I feel because iwas so large the lipo will help me get a better shape.
well, off to prepare for my first shower, wish me luck, or maybe my husband, lol.

easter

Well I think painkillers will only now be advil, and only if needed. The stroner ones certainly make you constipated and that's just one more thing to deal with.
Has anyone experienced a kind of mourning? I was large breasted for so many years and then gone... I feel sad today, and I cried a bit last night. I know there will be people aho dont agree with my decision but most of my close family and friends know the pain and discomfort I have had over the years.
I think once I am able to shop and try on new things and new bras I'll be in a better state, a compression bra is the least sexy thing ever!
happy Easter eveyone.

another pre op picture

The reason I am adding one more pre op picture is because I wonder if the first one didn't give a true account simply because my arms were raised above my head which can make even the largest breasts look perky. This next picture was taken the morning of surgery with my arms at my sides showing just how heavy the girls really are (were).
Next up ... post op picture.

post op

Well here I am after. Still some draining, lots of bruising.

almost 1 week

Hard to believe tomorrow will be one week post op. I am so relieved to be on this side and healing. I have a bit of a cold/bronchitis which I really didnt need right now
I think im slowly getting over the shock of going from 38F to probably about C. Ifeel slimmer actually, simply because those big girls made me look bigger than I really am.
I'm off work all this wesk, do you know whats causing the most anxiety is the "unveiling" to the world so to speak. I know my breats are my business but it's a bit awkward to think I'll walk into work next week 4 lbs slimmer on my chest.

day 9 post op

Nine days gone by already. I have felt my energy level increas and yesterday I even went for two walks. Today I did some light house work ( straightening up and loading dishwasher) and then I hit a brick wall. I am absolutely exhauted and had to lie down. I am not used to this low energy. I think I may skip my walk today and just spend the day relaxing. I go back to work on Monday but I think I am going to insist on only part days for the first week.
my left lipo side still gives me more pain than anything else. I wonder how long I need to wear this compression bra. My new Adori Bra came in the mail and it's so comfortable.
Iam hoping to go shopping tomorrow with my hubby for one more sports bra that I can wear to work. Hopefully I can muster the energy.

bra shopping

Well, my trip was unsuccessful. I learned that back closure sports bras dont work yet, after all I need to put it on once my hubby is already gone to work ( not something u can ask the neighbors for help). I fo
found a front closure, no wire bra that was nice enough but in order for proper fit she said I'd need to "lift" my breats in place, nope can't do that yet. I am 38 and probably a D still so its still a challenge to find. Conclusion: it's too soon, and plus I have one Adoriwear bra that I love so I ordered another online when I got home and will be content with those until the "real" bra shopping can happen down the road. Exhausted! Will post pictures this week when I take the surgical tapes off on Wednesday. ..

two weeks today

Well here I am at two weeks post op, I went back to work thisweek but am wishing I could have taken one more week off. Ive been exhausted. I work at a desk
but all the moving of my arms and using the keyboard has made me sore. I worked a couple shortened days and I think I will take tomorrow to stay home and relax again.
And tonight was the taking off of surgical tape in the shower. What a fiasco, I'm not the best with pain and I think I freaked even my patient husband out. In the end it all came off and I am able to sed the scars, which frankly are a bit startling. I didn't realize there would be such prominent ridges. I know its only two weeks and I've followed other women's progress and see the scars soften and the breasts take on a better shape. See my surgeon on Monday for 3 week check.

2 weeks, tape removed

underside

3rd week

Well here I am at week 3. I didnt think healing would be so slow, but I also didn't think I'd enjoy this new small me as much as I do. I saw my surgeon on monday. All is well except for a few small things. I have a small amount of what he called fat necrosis, areas that are firm. Hopefully they will soften up over time, if not he did mention that he can biopsy them out ( hope it doesn't come to that). I am still extra sensitive on my nipples and roads bumps still make me cringe. I only wear my compression bra at night because it feels better and my Adoriwear bra to work. Those closest to me are thrilled with my new size, and tonight my husband said " once you are healed completely you are going to have beautiful breasts"... :)
Healing is slow but coming along.....

5 weeks

So 5 weeks have passed. It has been a slow process, but each week is a little better. I only have the occasional sharp nerve pain, my nipples are still sensitive but not as. I have one stitch poking out that I snipped a bit of but its still there. My biggest concern right now is my left breast scar tissue underneath seems to have developed either a blister or is just very tender and thick and uncomfortable. You'll notice
with my picture that my shape still is a bit boxy and uneven. Maybe it will always be this way, I dont know how much more things will even out. Bra shopping didnt go well again, very few nice wireless bras and trying on hurt my scar so I guess I'll stick with sports bras for a few more months. Im loving my smaller size but just a bit discouraged with the pains and limitations and soreness..

8 weeks

I can't believe that I am at the 8 week mark. I think once I passed 6 weeks things started to really heal. I can actually sleep bra less now, but when I turn from left to right I still feel a pulling in the lipo area.
I thought I'd never come to this point but I absolutely love my shape and size. I can wear almost anything and look "normal". I still haven't done the big bra shop. I'm still wearing genie bras and adori bras but I hope to try on a sexy bra soon.
one of my concerns is making sure I don't gain any more weight so that my boobs will remain bigger than my stomach, in fact I need and want to lose a few.
I think my saddest point so far was when my husband said, "not gonna lie, I liked your big boobs". It just made me sad but it also reminded me that I did this soley for me, and in the end I need to be the happy one, hands down.
And I am.. happy I mean. I no longer feel like a "freak" when I wear fitted clothes, men sometimes even look at me just because. I can even go without a bra and feel good.
It's a journey ladies and I wish I could sit with each and every one of you and say..it's worth it a and it's going to work out just fine. Be strong ladies!
Dr Lin

Your updates have also given me goals to look forward too,I'm 3 1/2 weeks post op had minor set back with a dreadful cough ( not the best when you've had breast surgery ouch!!!!!) I notice everyday feeling better thanks again for sharing...
You said the most important thing there ..."YOU DID IT FOR YOU".....and that's what it's all about "US" if we do things all the time to please everybody else just to keep them happy ,where does that leave US? Emotionally unhappy our confidence levels lower we really need to do what makes US feel better...get your husband to strap that amount of weight to the front of him walk around sleep,run any exercise and then see what his comments would be? So happy for you and you look absolutely fantastic...:-) x
You are looking great. When you get to wearing underwire bras try on a padded t-shirt bra - they give you a great molded shape and your nipples don't show - I love them.
enjoy your new boobs, i found it took all of 4 months as suggested to be comfortable in wired bras, but they do give you the best shape. like me, you are not tiny so your husband will fall in love with your new boobs if they make you confident and happy
Your Shape and Size turned out GREAT ! The Trying to Rest Part - is sometimes the HARDEST Thing to do ! We can only do so Much ! I had to LET My Body tell me HOW MUCH I could do ! That was pretty STRANGE - but well worth it !
hear hear, definitely the hardest thing. It is harder work doing less... !
Thank you...it was a bad day but overall each week gets better and better:)
you are probably spitting an undissolved stitch, pad it with something soft to make sure nothing is rubbing it
When can you have that left breast scar tissue looked at? I am concerned about some potential 'braiding' on part of my incision as well.
Hi Lozza..now that I feel the sore spot it actually seems above my scar..maybe lipo soreness? How is your healing coming along?
My lipo on the sides is still the worst; how about you? I am also noticing I can feel the stitches more readily now; I don't know why. I am soooo tired, but I had to stay up till 11:20 tonight to finish some marking that I want to return to my students tomorrow. I had to cancel a meeting this arvo with someone because I didn't think I could do that, do grocery shopping and then do the marking... The bruising is way less which is encouraging. And the zingers are definitely happening more than they ever were, along with some spots that are really sore. Sorry for the lament...I think I'm just too pooped to be balanced.
Thanks for you information my op is in less than 2 weeks 4th June I am so excited and also looking forward to the new smaller me,and buying new bras and tops,I'm under 5ft and have a DD/ E cup so I look so large up top...:-(
I am one month post opt still swollen and sensitive I go for my 2nd post opt monday You look great
Thank you and good luck with appointment
cool bra
I agree; I saw those on the Adori site and now that I see it on you, I am totes buying one.
Lol.they really are the most comfortable, and with the front closure they are wonderful:)
Just ordered mine!
the fat necrosis is really common and it may work its way out through your incisions, but less likely now they are well healed. don't be nervous of further intervention if it improves things, will all be worth it in the end
looking great for 14 days, it is early to be back at work, try to get rest and eat plenty of lean protein for healing and energy
I hope you did take today off work, it does seem soon to go back. If you are anything like me, one minute you feel like you could go for a run, then next like you have to stay in bed without moving for a week! I found that even typing on the laptop uses some muscles that you don't notice under the arms, and just doing a little work this week (i work at home, so work from bed I mean!) has made my underarms ache I think. Personally I am keeping my scars/wounds under wraps for longer... I am preparing my self for looking in detail (I saw a bit at dressing change), and am a bit of a wuss, so I know how you feel. But to an outside observer your scars look just normal - it is only two weeks after all!! And your shape is lovely Colette! will be following your progress as you are just a little ahead of me x
Thank you. I agree, I feel great and then end up doing too much. I did indeed take today off work. Because I'm the only one who will take care of me. Patience certainly is a virtue in this isn't it?
not a virtue I possess unfortunately!! It is hard to make yourself just take care of yourself sometimes, I know what you mean. And we only know in ourselves what we can do. I have started just trying to ignore thinking what I should do / want to do, in my head, and do what my body wants to. Although frequently it does seem to want to eat cake...
I know that the ridging would be startling, but the shape of your new breasts is superb! Even with each other and really great for the size of the rest of you! Rest, rest, rest and 'gift' yourself with daydreams of all the cute stuff you will wear this summer!
I recommended window shopping online, cheap lingerie shops - have you all seen how many smaller bras you can buy and the PRICES!! its a revelation!!!