Liplift Complications

Over 2 years ago, I had a liplift where the...

Over 2 years ago, I had a liplift where the plastic surgeon operated on skin and muscle. Immediately after surgery I noticed that the lip did not move normally. It’s longer now. I cannot lift the center vertically. The middle part of my lip seems to be partially paralyzed. When I smile I have a horizontal crease below my nose. This doctor removed the sills under my nose. I have a feeling that he damaged the muscles that lift my upper lip. Now my upper lip hangs, the openings to my nose look huge and my upper lip looks flat and flaccid. I have difficulty speaking.

Consultation Report

I was pretty upset to get a copy of one of the reports from a doctor that I saw for a revision and in the report it stated that I had multiple deformities from the muscle injuries due to the lip lifting technique that was used.

More consultations

It's been awhile since I've updated my review. I recently saw 4 plastic surgeons in Beverly Hills who told me that they have seen similar deformities from liplifts that were done using the same technique that was used on me. That is why no other plastic surgeons use this technique, too many risks of permanent damage. One of the plastic surgeons told me that the liplift may look OK when you just look face on, but when the patient would speak, it was obvious that their movement was impaired. He also told me that one of the patients that he saw had to have a skin graft because too much was removed, so now she has obvious demarcation areas. It's really a jungle out there. The good thing about going on all these consults is that you realize that there are ethical doctors out there.

Sarah36, I do hope that you will be able to find a doctor who can offer you some type of satisfying resolution with your LL revision issue. I have been coming to this board for a little over 2 yrs. now. During that time I have observed LL that I thought looked great on the person who had, had it done. It was not until the person shared info about the nasal sill and muscle hemming that I realized that there was so much more to it, than how one looks face on. I do believe that time has brought about more knowledge and better techniques from surgeons, and therefore Hope. Stay Hopeful! Many Blessing to you.
Thank you VILLE.
WOW babe, I never knew there can be complications with the lip and so many girls who happened to get complications. Still even if I would read your story b4 going under the knife, I would be so ignorant thinking that it can't happen to me. I still pray that one day , a miracle will happen, and one of the millions doctors will know how to correct your lip. Trust me, I do feel your pain, and I am happy that you saw many docs .
ZIZI you always give me such hope.
Babe, I wish I could give you the name of the best of the best doctor. Even I've never saw you personally, I have such a beautiful image of you in my mind. I know it is not easy to live with regret in your heart, but we are not what we look like. We are what we project into the Universe. And the Universe whisper into my ears that you're gorgeous. I want you to know that I love you just the way you are. Look around. No one is perfect and everyone is beautiful despite any imperfections. Keep your chin up. I'm here, any time you need a hug or a shoulder.
ZiZI, Thank you. You really project such warmth. Thank you!! You are truly a ray of sunshine.
Sarah you made me cry. I can't believe how much you've endured for two years. I'm shaking how furious I am knowing that you lived all this time with such pain. I don't even know what will be appropriate to say to make you feel better. I think you should write an email to my doctor Dr Niamtu with some pics attached and see if he can help you. He got miracle hands and a gold hearth. I have a feeling that he might help you one way or another. ((((((huge hugs dear Sarah)))))))
Thank you for your incredible kindness and empathy ZIZI.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience on RealSelf! Is there a way to revise this?

Hi sarah36, I am so very sorry to hear about your complications. I'm considering the procedure and have been seriously looking at two doctors in LA who use the muscle technique. Could you possibly post/PM the name of the doctor you went to? Thank you and again, I'm very sorry for your troubles.
Hi sarah36, please tell me who your doctor was?? I am in the process of trying to fnd a doctor to do a revision on the lip lift that I got in VA. I had a really bad experience, and have terrible scarring. I was thinking of going to a famous doctor in California, but you may be talking about the same doctor! Please message me or post his initials if you would!!
I am very sorry for you and thank you for sharing so people will be careful who they go to. There are many helpful doctors here and I would suggest that you post a picture of just your lips so they can advise you. Did you talk to the doctor? I had a problem with the way a doctor re-attached my ears and he was new and he fixed it and did some complementary lipo as well so I was fortunate; only you know if it is worth even trusting him but it wouldn't hurt to reach out and put your story in a question format with a photo and see if you can get some corrective surgery. Accidents do happen even to good doctors.
Sarah, So sorry to hear of your diappointing results. The LL surgery is one I could benefit from. Due to unresolved health issues I have not actively pursued any consultations or such. Coming here and reading post by others who have had said procedure done is quite helpful. I hope that you will be able to find satisfactory resolution with the revision. Would you consider listing/rating doctor? Best wishes

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. Have you gone back to that doctor, or to another one to see if a correction is possible, or is that too scary a thought for you?

Megan you are very kind. I am in the process of going on consultations for some sort of a revision. Once the muscle has been damaged though, I don't think I will ever get my full function back again, which is very devastating.

I can definitely understand why that would be upsetting. :( Don't hesitate to post your questions in the Q&A section while you are going through the consultation phase and trying to sift through the treatment options.

Please continue to keep us posted on how you are doing, and what you are finding out.

We're here when you need hugs & encouragement along the way!!