The Uplifting Experience (or Not?) - Bumrungrad, Bangkok

Hello, I am compelled to write this review after...

Hello, I am compelled to write this review after my own experience. I am only 3 weeks post-op, so the verdict is still out as to whether it was worth it or not. My general feeling is one of shock at the intensity & seriousness of the whole procedure. I DID understand that it is surgery, but I did not realize how in depth it was. The surgery was face.neck left & blepharoplasty upper & lower. ....58 yrs. old, healthy, no risk factors.

Our consult appointment ( my husband came as well) made is sound so simple, so easy. The operation was a great success. I was alone ( first mistake!!) Stayed in the hospital 2 nights ( Bumrungrad-beautiful!) Back to hotel on 3rd nite. Late in the evening on the 3rd night, the right side of my face started to swell, & became so swollen that I walked to emerg. ( 2 min. away) There was nothing they could do, so in the am. I reported back to my dr. who promptly re-operated to remove the huge blood clot ( basically it was a HUGE hematoma).

I believe it may have been caused by some movement on my part that aggravated my situation that evening. I really don't know. I was feeling great up until then & was quite thrilled that all had gone so well. What came to my attention after I could think again was that so many women are not that well aware of how serious this can be. There is no way to know if you will have complications. I am doing well now, but the recovery will take a lot longer ( that's a learning curve in itself! lol!) Or course, when things don't go well, & the surgery was an "aesthetic choice" or optional, there is always the psychological implications. Those dancing demons that usually come out at night and berate you for being so stupid & tempting fate! ...which are the last thoughts you want to be having right about then!!

I have no complaints about my dr. He was very helpful, & always made me feel like he cared. His wife was equally as helpful, & the staff are great! That is a very shortened review of my experience, but here are some guidelines that may help you when you decide to do this. 1) Do not come alone. Bring someone to actively help you. Be a diva!! 2) It is CRUCIAL not to turn your head or talk for at least 3-4 days. 3) Do not try to open your mouth 4) Do not smile 5) No one can predict your road to recovery. There is no way to know how your body will react... how much bruising or swelling or whether you will have complications. 6) Give yourself at least a month to look presentable to the world. That way, you will be pleasantly surprised if it only takes the famous "two weeks"! 7) Skye hotel in Bkk is close to bumrungrad & quite nice-inexpensive. Ariyisomvilla is more expensive, but oh so nice! ( I stayed at both) That's about it! As I said, I haven't decided whether it was worth it or not. ( I am one of those people who never thought they would do something like this) I will post in another 2 months & let you know! I hope that this will help someone make an informed decision. All the best!

Dr. Amorn Poomee

Dr. Amorn came highly recommended by friends, as well as by review on the internet. I was not disappointed. I believe he is a very experienced, capable dr. My complication not due to any negligence on his part! It is just one of those things that happens! Dr. Amorn s wife also works with him. She is a lovely lady, & can help you with any of those things you really don't want to bother your dr. about! She also is in the surgery with you. I had full confidence in this team!

Hello , I am now 6 months post op, so it's time to post again. It has not been a very difficult recovery once the initial shock etc. was over. The last 4 months have been fine. My face is still a little numb close to my ears, but it seems to be coming back slowly. I was told there would be "lumps & bumps" as I healed, but there really hasn't been. The look is very natural. Nobody has really said anything, other than that I look "healthy", or my skin looks good, or my new haircut is great.... that kind of thing. I also have deep lines around my mouth with I didn't have removed ( apparently that is another procedure) which probably make my results less dramatic. Overall, I am very happy with it. Would I do it again??.... not if I knew what I would have to go thro ( swellings & 2 surgeries)..... but now that it's all over, I'm glad it's done! :) Best of luck to any considering this, & feel free to contact me for anything I could help you with! :)
Hello Infjunkie, I'm not sure if he chooses his clients or not, but it wouldn't surprise me. I did contact him over the net, & booked the date that way. I only travelled to BKK a few days before the procedure. Not sure about the commuter generated images, as I didn't see any. He is a good dr. & I do recommend him. It is a rather scary thing to think about doing, I do understand that! I am very glad it is behind me! I wish you all the best, & please don't hesitate to contact me for any other info. you may require!
Hi pattyrica im going to dr poomee in august 2014 just wondering how you paid
Pattytricia, thanks so much for your review. I have been considering a facelift for some time and I like what I hear about Dr Poomee. Is it true that he chooses his clients and may reject some? Also did you contact him over the internet and then book your procedure date, or did you travel to Bangkok for an appointment beforehand? Do you know if he does computer generated images of before and afters of patients?
Pattytrica, I also went to Bumrungrad and had Dr Nond. I went through Global Health Travel stayed in one of their apartments (nice & clean, close to hospital). The reason I chose GHT was for after operation care as I travelled alone. GHT provide trained nurses who are on call if you need them. They check on you twice daily, clean your wounds, take you to appointments and so so much more. they give you a phone to ring them if you need anything. They went above and beyond to make me comfortable and safe. They are all beautiful happy caring girls. Yes it's major surgery and I was scared. For the first few days I couldn't believe I had chosen to do that to myself but by day 4 I had a different outlook. I am now 4.5 months post op, it has been a slow journey, lots of swelling but no real pain. Most of my feeling is back. I agree to allow yourself a month before going public. Remember you are your own worst critic so give yourself time to heal as there will be many changes, sometimes you will look asymmetrical because of the swelling. I may have to go back for a revision of my jaw/neck as it is not as tight as I would like but in saying that I do not have great bone structure so it may be as good as i can get without implant. My scarring is almost invisible and has been since the op. I am happy with my look and would do it all again. Feel free to message me if you have any worries through your healing process. :)

Fantastic tips! Thank you so much for sharing on RealSelf.

Thank you so much for your review as I am considering it for me. I know you aren't that far out but at this point, do you think it was even worth it? Thanks so much!!
Hi kat, As u say , I m not too far away from the experience yet, so in a month or two I will have a more objective view! I m sure. What I do know now, is that the eye surgery part of it was very easy for me & I am happy to see the big bags gone.. I will post again in 2 months & let you know how I feel then. Best of luck.