patiently awaiting! - NY

I am getting the sleeve soon i am 32 years old...

I am getting the sleeve soon i am 32 years old with 4 kids. i am 5'7 i weight 254. I decided this back in Feb. 2013 I did my research and went to two different doctors I found a liking into Dr. Pham so i decided to stick with him I have did all the test which I am find i am now doing my 6 month supervision with the DR. (per my insurance request). I go to the Dr. on Oct 15. not sure if this is visit 5/6 but im not sure whats after this. now I am PATIENTLY WAITING. Im ready (i think)

Hi! I was 254 and 5'7" when I had my sleeve done! I just had mine last Monday, 9.30. You'll do great, just be patient. It will be over before you know it. Keep us updated on how you are doing.
Wow. So yo BMI just at 40 as well. It's going now but now all my question are forming and my worries. Thanks I will keep updating through out my journey

Hi there, welcome and thanks for sharing your journey with us!

How far are you into your 6 month supervised diet? Have you started any of the pre-op tests yet?

Was wishing for a 2013 surgery!

So yesterday i went to my appt and yes it was the 5 month and i get there and they stated its been reschedule due to the Dr. in surgery. UGHhh but im only doing my supervision I come to get weighted and ask if I have any questions so im not sure why the assistant didnt just weight me but hey I guess everything happens for a reason. I was so hoping for a 2013 surgery to have a fresh start for 2014 but i dont i am staying hopeful and busy. I have begin to eat healthy thou because i know as im approaching everything i eventually have to eat right.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

SMH! but is staying hopeful

I went to the Dr. On October 15 and they had reschedule til Novemeber because he was in surgery ok np. So i inform the nurseing assistant that im only here for a supervision I only get weight and ask questions she said ok and took my weight and i went online and noticed that that visit dont even count so I have two more months to go and still a waiting process til the insurance get back to me weather it will be approved or not. But again I am very hopeful and still working out and TRYING to eat heathly i notice thou its hard to just STOP so what I have been doing it not eating as MUCH. and it helps alot.

Still waiting

Well nothing changes or has happened I'm still on my 6 month supervision which I go once a month so I have no updated but I will upload pics. They were hard to find cuz I don't take full body pics

Hey! Good Luck on your journey!!
Thank you and yes it is a JOURNEY!!!

Waiting on insurance approval!!

I seen my doctor today and good news this was my last visit for my 6 month supervision (yay me) so next step is submitting paperwork to my insurance. 3week process the dr said and he also said sometimes they will or may require another test but I guess we will c but he did ask me was I interested in a surgery date at the end of December! Wow yes!! Keeping fingers crossed that everything goes well with my insurance!

Just Updating

I called my DR yesterday because exactly 2 weeks have went by and still no response for the insurance. So i am still waiting to be approved. but he did state it can take up to 3 weeks but the receptionist said mayeb 4 weeks so that kind of annoyed me a little but HEY its ok. I am keeping my fingers crossed for a date in December thou so this new journey can begin for me before the new year. I am going to start a new gym Dec. 1. and a healthy eating plan for me and my kids. I'm excited and im nervous but I'm ready also! Just wanna start preparing my self? I understand everyone surgery process and results are different but i am interested in suggestions!
P.S. ( I will be calling the DR. back on 12-4-13) LOL

Still no Date!!

So I called my Dr today and they still havent heard back for my insurance soo looks like my date will be in January sometime. Thats cool i guess cuz im starting to get nervous and alot of questions are coming. (I just cant tolerate pain)! But anyway for every one else that has dates coming up I will you all the best and keep US posted!

ok so here is what happen to me I called(12-3-13) the insurance to see whats the hold up and the dr office just submitted the papers in right before the holiday ok. NP so the Dr calls me 12-5-13 and stated that i am approved! (yay me) but i have to wait for the scheduling lady to schedule my appt. so i just call her and she stated they will call me back by wednesday for a date smh! Sounds similar to yours! SMH this waiting thing is nuts

APPROVED!!! BUt still waiting

Picture

Full body pics are hard to come by!!

Waitng sucks, doesn't it? So, you should hear of your date by tomorrow?

yes the waiting is the hard part. and i am still waiting but my nerves are going NUTS but i am hanging in there...(just waiting on the phone call for the date)
Congrats, i'm scheduled to be sleeved on December 18 2013 which is 9 days away and I am nervous and excited all at the same time. I wish you the very best and please keep posting your comments and hopefully we can embark on this journey together and I will also continue to share my experiences and comments. again congratulations.

Waiting on a Date... (STILL)

Just a quick question...I am (patiently) lol waiting on my date but in the meantime my nerves are racing like i find myself reading up on this surgery very often the good and bad stories..i get excited and nervous and i have been having the BGs lately (bubble guts...sorry tmi). Did anyone else have this issue with nerves if so how di you RELAX??

Yes, i'm currently having the BG's as we speak.......i know TMI but i'm just being honest. Thanks for sharing that cuz you've made me feel a whole lot better.

GOT THE DATE BUT HAD TO CALL BACK AND RESCHEDULE so im still waiting...

Yup i got the date off 1/21 @11 but i had to reschedule due to other obligations (with kids)..so i request to have it done at a different hospital OMG y did i do that so now we have to contact the insurance company and submit the change...but i guess im ok with that cuz my nerves are going crazy right now anyway....and its weird cuz they schedule the surgery then to a pre op for the diet then to the test a week later then i have to go to my primary for clearance after the test results ..( a week before surgery)....so it seems like alot going on 2-3 weeks prior!!

talking about a journey! jeez i'm so glad my insurance didn't require a 6mth supervised diet argh that would have delayed my surgery into 2014 with a new $2400 ded! I can't wait for you to start your journey I just realized we are the same height but you are much smaller :-) I tried for the surgery at 250 but VSG wasn't heard of and it was much harder in 2004 to get approved! So yay for you!
Yes so with the height it's really hard to find clothes that fit!! I'm glad u are doing good.. I had a date for 1/22 but I have to take my daughter upstate for her college and I couldn't change the date I wouldn't feel right so as a Mother I rescheduled my date... But it's cool cuz I'm getting nervous and idk but I'm ready to get it over with... Well u will b fine so when do u see yourself going back to work the one lady had it on Wednesday and said she going back tomorrow I was like wow
I can work from home but I do have a new hire tomorrow so I may go in for a few hrs and then back home I'm not sure yet! Most will expect this dramatic new me after a week crazy folks lol so I'm still a little irritable from my hormonally wackiness and I may snap at someone the second they say omg you look great you've lost a lot! ha ha

Questions??

I find myself eating more that usually, I believe im getting nervous now since i have a surgery date, Did anyone have this issue??? I dont wanna get to the Dr and want more than normal... And i have the pre op test done soon and I and even nervous about that.. am less that 30 days away from being sleeved. full of mixed emotions from excited...hopeful .... worried.
today its worried...what if it doesn't work? What if i can't change these life long bad habits? i guzzle my drinks..i cut big bites..i don't chew very well..i eat mindlessly.( i know after surgery these are a NO NO.. i have been trying,these last few weeks, to change my ways but always fall back to habit. One minute i know I'm ready for this the next moment. i don't think i even deserve the chance. sigh...please i need encouragement.

I felt the same way. I kept telling myself that I needed to eat everything I wasn't going to be able to eat after the surgery. As far as after the surgery, it is impossible to eat big bites and to guzzle drinks and to eat fast. Physically it can't be done. You are forced to have to adjust or you will pay for it. Not that that should scare you because the changes in your body will (should) allow you to change the habits that you've created over the years -- causing your weight problems. I am almost 3 months out from the Sleeve (Dec. 30 will be 3 months) and I am still having to eat slowly and take smaller bites. It's really not worth the discomfort that happens to eat fast or to take huge bites. I am able to drink more than a sip (thank God!) and can drink pretty regularly. I still struggle with not drinking during meals - a hard habit to mentally break, but I do it because if I drink during a meal bad things happen! :) Imagine a volcano about to explode and that's what happens when you eat and drink at the same time. They don't mix well and the only time I'm thrown up is because of doing those two at the same time. I really wasn't paying attention when it happened. It's happened twice to me. So I'm careful to not drink before, after, or during eating. I wait about 30 minutes -- like I was instructed for obvious reasons. The surgery WILL work, but the longevity of the results is totally up to you. I was the same as you -- 5'7" and 254 when I had my surgery. I'm down to 200 lbs. today. Yay! I will definitely be under 200 be the New Year which is exciting. The holidays have been rough with all of the cookies and parties and such, but I made it through with no problems. I find that if I eat something I shouldn't or overindulge that my belly reminds me to not do it again. It takes about 30-45 minutes for an upset stomach to subside and I find myself hating the feeling so much that I am careful to not do it again. You will do great. It's a life size change but as I have said before, it's a mental struggle once you have the surgery. Your body isn't able to carry on with your bad habits, but your mind still wants to. I'm learning to listen to myself instead of acting first. It's not been an easy road but I'm getting there.
thanks... yes i was thinking about mentally how do you adjusted to the surgery.. but also i guess i will have to feel the do's and dont's so i will know not to do it..smh..Mentally i am all over the place i find myself read everyone stories and blogs and some stories I be like ok no im not going there with it but then some days the support for these groups and blogs are great. I have been writing dont alot of questions and i can honestly say even thou im scared I have faith so im ready so start the journey and look back and laugh at myself..lol
I haven't, until recently, been thankful that I had the surgery. It was a struggle for a while adjusting to this new way of living. I went through a period of hating not being able to eat as much as I used to or not being able to eat chocolate or 'rich' sweets. It's really taught me how much of a hold food has on me and how much I counted on eating as a way to feel happy - thus my weight issues. But, I can honestly say that I have learned a lot about myself and how to curb those unhappy moments and make them into something other than gorging myself on food. I'm still learning, but I'm happy that I did go through with it. I had a lot of fear and apprehension as well. It feels like it's been way longer than just 3 months. Just be patient with yourself and with the process that follows the surgery. Take it one day at a time and don't rush anything. It's a HUGE learning process and not as easy as people might think from the outside looking in. When is your surgery date?

Protein

Whey protein that was recommended by a fellow sleever. Thanks. I also just wanted to share the receipts on the back

Just checking on you... And wanted to see how are your scars healing are you applying anything to your skin?
I received my protein... Question how are your scars healing?

QUESTION....HELP...NEEDS SOME COURAGEMENT SOMETHING...

Question is anyone else gotten cotton mouth from the protein shakes?? it seems like the more i drink the more i feel like i need some water to drink on the side.. my mouth is extremely dry. My protein shake is 1 scoop and 8 oz of almond milk.?..IDk but it 10:30am and im still on the breakfast drink? This is discouraging because Im think what am i getting myself into. If i can't tolerate the protein shakes in the pre op how will i manage in the post op??/

Hey there, it took me forever, pre-op, to find a protein shake that I culd tolerate. I tried about 12 different kinds before I found the right one for me, so don't give up. Try some samples of different shakes and see what suits you best.
I'm having my surgery on Jan 31st - and can I just tell you that I have never really been as nervous as I am now? I have also never been as excited either, so it balances out. I start my thousand calorie diet on the 17th, and I am not looking forward to it! But I'm also very looking forward to it because it means there's only two weeks left, and I'll start dropping weight with those two weeks. Yeah, totally contradictory, haha. And I wish I could tell you how to relax, but I haven't figured it out myself yet. If you do figure it out, please tell me! I wish you lots of luck in the future!
Lol...listen this pre op diet is the worst and on top of that my nerves are smh.... yes the closer the days are coming the more jitters i get...

****EVERYONE JOURNEY WILL BE DIFFERENT SO PLEASE DONT WORK YOURSELF UP LIKE I DID.********..LOL

Ok today was my final appt before surgery I was so worked up about the EGD ( i was reading how someppl was sore or couldnt talk) and i didnt even have to have a EGD done before surgery. I just did blood work and had chest xrays done. I was all nerves lol but im thankful so this time next week i will b on the sleeve side. I go see my primar tomorrow for a surgery clearence and then im on my way..(nerves but ready).

Good Luck Tiff! I know you'll do just fine. Praying for you!
Good luck tomorrow. I'll be thinking about you. Remember to be patient with the healing process. It will take some time to get back to normal but it will be worth it.

Surgery was moved up

So my surgery was moved up a day 22 everything went find I am home. I went to the hospital alone it wasnt bad because I slept and slept.. Yes the fluid is the hard part I don't regrett it..I just feel it's no planning for this. But hey I'm happy

Congrats on having it done!! Mine's in one week. Getting nervous, but I think I got this. Is the pain manageable? Do you have to sleep in a reclining position?
The pain is manageable if u move around it's fine. When I sip I have spasms but it comes and go only pain I could remember is when I first woke up in recovery after that my shoulders hurt but is not so bad !
Thanks

3 days post op

Ok I was discharged the next day everything has been fine. Sometimes when I drink I get muscle spasms but if I walk I'm fine my only pain is the shoulder pain I get it alot a night they say it's gas but the gas x doesn't help I will get some hearing pads. Other than that everything is ok. I'm still on a liquid diet clear and everything is ok. I haven't been hungry yet and my kids had bee eating good and it haven't crossed my mind. But again I'm happy with my decision

hello ! im in the process as well! im getting my psyc eval on wed. very excited! looking forward to following your journey! :)
Hey Lady! How are you doing so far? I haven't seen an update from you. I hope all is going well!
im in the process for the sleeve too! keep us posted soo happy fo ru!

Two month update

Everything had been good...i dont weight myself often and i dont get all my daily fluids in.. I dont excerise like i know i should be...but over all everything is good...im 60days out and im down 4 jean sizes when i was 30days out i wad 33lbs down so im not sure now...only issue i have is remembering that i cant drink and eat together. But im happy and im sure my 90day update should b better then my 60day...im just adjusting to this..ps...i dont like to eat until im full that feeling is not good so im still just eating alittle ex. 2 turkey meatballs im full..

Thats great...protein im so over it lol....yes my mouth was very pasty...im out for me its loke y eat cuz im only get a few bites then im stuff..and im a thristy person lol so im always drinking liquids so i b full from them...my energy level is not super yet but im gettin there i will weight myself n 2 weeks thats my 90 days
Omg, Tiff how are you? I see that you bought the whey protein, how do you like it? At first I did hated all protein because I thought It the cause of my mouth being so dry but it was the healing process of my stomach. Now I'm fine. I'm down to 195lbs now and loving every minute of it. How about you? How has your journey been so far?
omg ! CONGRATS! on your surgery! what did you weight the day of surgery and what are you down to now??? looks like your doing a great job! you should put b4 and after pics! im soo happy for you! happy healing !
Dr. Pham