Latisse/Careprost Made my Eyes Sunken & Hollow (Periorbital Fat Atrophy)! - Los Angeles

Latisse/Careprost made my eyes sunken & hollow...

Latisse/Careprost made my eyes sunken & hollow (periorbital fat atrophy) after ONE WEEK!

I normally do not post my story online but I would feel responsible if I did not warn people about this horrible side effect.

I am 46 years old and before using this I was often told I looked in my mid-30s. I used Careprost (identical to Latisse) for only ONE WEEK. I used it as directed, although I also used it on my eyebrows, which many dermatologists have said could be done to promote growth of sparse eyebrows. However, I used only ONE DROP for both eyelids and my eyebrows.

I am Caucasian, but my eyes, which previously had an almond/"hooded"/"bedroom eye"/almost Asian shape (like Blake Lively, Jennifer Biel, and Jennifer Lawrence -- Google image search "hooded" eyes" for examples) now have an ugly, hollow and sunken look with a very deep sulcus. The almond shape is GONE! The atrophy (disappearance) of the fat, which had formerly made the skin above them firm and gave them the nice almond shape now causes the shape of the eye socket itself to be very prominent so that my eyes are now round, and the skin where the fat used to be is now loose and wrinkled. And they are uneven. One eye actually has 3 creases above the lid, and the other has 2! The hollow and sunken look makes me look MUCH older -- I can definitely no longer pass for my mid-30s. I am devastated.

My eyes, which were previously my best feature, are now ruined. The worst part is that before this, my eyelashes were not short and stubby -- they were actually pretty long, just very thin and almost albino/clear so they were nearly invisible without mascara -- but with the new volumizing and lengthening mascaras they could look lovely. Now, instead of having nice almond eyes that could look beautiful with mascara, I have sunken, old-looking eyes that never look good.

Again this was after only ONE WEEK of use. For anyone who doubts this, please read the article by Dr. Stanley Berke, in the Journal of Ophthalmology, "PAP: New Concerns for Prostaglandin Use":
The article details how Bimataprost – the active ingredient in Lumigan, Latisse, and Careprost -- causes periorbital fat atrophy (PAP).

He explains why ophthalmologists haven’t noticed this until now and says that once he became aware of it he now observes it in 100 PERCENT of his patients who use Bimatoprost -- and he observes advanced cases in many of his patients after only 3 WEEKS.

He also explicitly says that this WILL OCCUR WITH LATISSE:

“It’s also important to realize that this effect will occur even when the drug is only being used for cosmetic purposes, as when it’s prescribed as Latisse (bimatoprost 0.03%). Beyond the desired effect of lengthening the lashes, the eyes may become more sunken; some patients may look better, but some may look worse. I’ve seen lectures promoting Latisse given by doctors who were not aware of this side effect. Clearly, any time a medical professional prescribes a drug, knowing all of the side effects is crucial.”

Bear in mind that periorbital fat atrophy causes not only the tissue AROUND the eye to atrophy but also the tissue BEHIND the eye -- so the eyes not only look sunken and hollow, but actually do, literally, SINK into your face (see the pictures)…

This may not be a big problem if your eyes are somewhat prominently set to begin with, or if you have a lot of fat around your eyes (Dr. Berke even notes it can be cosmetically helpful for people with very loose, puffy, baggy lids with fat prolapse) -- but for others, like me, it can be devastating.

Dr. Berke says that once his patients stop using the Bimatoprost, the effects seem to reverse themselves after a few weeks, although he thinks that when it’s been used for a long time this may not be the case. I can only pray that mine will reverse. If not, in the quest for some stupid standard of “perfection,” I may have permanently ruined my looks.

Despite this effect bring known to occur in patients using the drug for glaucoma, Latisse does not list this anywhere in their literature as a possible side effect. I was very careful to read about side effects first before making the decision to use this.

I predict that once word about these horrible effects gets out to a greater extent, Bimatoprost will be banned for cosmetic use. Meanwhile, please, DO NOT USE THIS, unless you don’t mind risking developing old, sunken, hollow, ugly eyes.

Update 3/3/14

Btw, I did not mean to imply that I look like any of those actresses (lol) just that I had similarly shaped eyes! Unfortunately I don't have any recent photos of me that are close-up enough to really show my eyes, but I found a picture online that looks very similar to the shape my eyes previously had. The next 2 pictures are my eyes. I think the hollowness is actually already starting to reverse after three days not using Careprost. You can see my left eye is the worst. Three days ago that eye had 3 distinct creases above the lid; now you can clearly see two and the third is getting fainter. I did email Dr. Berke (who, I want to point out, did NOT prescribe this stuff to me -- I have never been his patient -- he is the author of the article I mentioned above that I found in the Journal of Ophthalmology which describes this phenomenon among caused by Bimatoprost, the active ingredient in Lumigen, Latisse and Careprost). He was kind enough to respond to my email and he said that normally the problem reverses when the Bimatoprost has been used for only a short time. So that was somewhat reassuring. I will post more updates in a couple of weeks and hopefully you'll be able to see what my eyes normally look like.

My eyes BEFORE

These are my eyes before -- I didn't think this picture was close-up enough but I think you can see the difference in the shape of my eyes.

My eyes BEFORE

Fat loss reversed after stopping Bimatoprost (Careprost/Latisse)

So it's been 3 weeks since I stopped using Careprost and my eyes look about back to normal. I will post an update picture soon. Just wanted to let everyone know there's hope and it should reverse itself, especially if you haven't used it for too long - and this is what the Dr. mentioned above said as well. So please don't panic. I think it's easy to freak out, especially when we don't have good comparison photos of "before" it's easy to imagine it's worse than it is.
self-prescribed

Hi, I just stumbled across this discussion and had to share my experience. I used bimatoprost for a good 2 years before I made the connection to progressive periorbital fat loss. I also used it very sparingly with a tiny brush to just the upper lash line. I applied it nightly initially but just a few times/week once the desired length was achieved. Long story short, my eyes ultimately became so sunken that I developed severe upper eyelid ptosis. While ptosis can be caused by aging changes (including fat loss) which I first chalked it up to, reviewing photos from before I started the bimatoprost showed no sign of a deepening sulcus before that point. As soon as I made the connection I stopped using the product. Mine did not reverse at all, even after several years, and I ultimately had to have ptosis repair surgery to correct the problem, along with some fat grafted to the upper orbit. While no one can prove or be 100% certain that my condition was caused by the bimatoprost, I have become convinced it was at the very least a contributing factor, and likely the sole cause. I will never touch the stuff again, it's simply not worth the risks involved. My eyes look good now, but I went through a lot to repair the damage.
Thanks for these remarks. Do you have any pictures? Also, can you explain what "ptosis" is?I am not familiar with that term. Thanks.
Thanks for posting. Can you tell me what "Ptosis" repair is? Also, when you say, "even after many years," can you be specific as to how many years, exactly, it was since you stopped using the product? Thanks, Alias
I has eye colour change. It's mixed coloured eyes that are at risk. I found this - Darkening of iris color may occur in some eyes over several months or more due to an increase in the production of melanin in the melanocytes of the iris. Pure brown eyes and pure blue eyes are not affected. Mixed colored eyes, i.e. blue-brown, yellow-brown, grey-brown, green-brown, hazel eyes are. Typically the brown pigmentation around the pupil spreads concentrically towards the periphery in the affected eyes, but the entire iris or parts of it may become more brownish. Eyelash changes (increased length, thickness, pigmentation, and number of lashes) are typical and regarded as a benefit by most patients. Reversible darkening of the eyelid skin darkening may also occur.
Thank you for this. I stopped using Latisse after4 weeks - give or take a day - because I noticed the same side effects. I have big brown eyes, but now my left eye looks so abnormal I'm panicking. It seems that Latisse only affected my left eye in a bad way. I started noticing pain in my left eye after applying Latisse - I used only ONE drop for both eyes - . I also carefully read about the side effects and couldn't find this one :( Thanks God I found your review I do really hope that all the fat loss reverse itself, but I'm so scared *cries* PS. May I ask you if you stopped using mascara during your recovery or only the bloody-Latisse?
How scary! You do have pretty eyes. I'm glad you got your eyes back. It's a personal preference, but I liked the hollowed shape on you over the hooded.
Wow, thanks, ThatCat... it's true that it was a bit like a "mini-lift"...
I agree, Cat. I keep hearing about color change, but I have yet to see EVEN ONE PICTURE of a documented color change. Photoshop is pretty obvious, but I am looking for documented color change from this product.
MD here. There are many well-documented examples of iris hyperpigmentation following instillation of bimatoprost and other prostaglandin analogues. Prostaglandins increase melanosomes within the melanocytes, the mechanism of action which darkens lashes and eyelids, as well as the iris. The majority of clinical trials involve direct administration to the eye, which is not the method of administration for Latisse, meaning the incidence of adverse effects may be lower or slower; however, we know from the Latisse safety trials that bimatoprost does enter the eye even when applied to the margins, as measured by reduced intraocular pressure. A possible cofounder in the small Latisse adverse reaction study is that the relatively small cohort was comprised mainly of brown-eyed persons; when prostaglandin inhibitors have been studied in Nordic regions in persons with predominantly blue eyes, the rates of iris hyperpigmentation have been much higher. In 2009, the FDA forced Allergan to insert a warning in the patient insert regarding iris and lid hyperpigmentation. I am behind a university paywall, so I'm not sure if you can access all of these articles with photographs: [seriously? No links allowed? Readers, search Medsearch or Google for "prostaglandin iris" and "bimatoprost iris" (remove quotes)] There is little incentive for anyone to launch a post-marketing clinical trial for Latisse, as the adverse effects are already so well known and documented by Allergan in the package insert. Be cautious not to discount post-marketing data. After all, Vioxx and Avandia passed FDA trials with flying colors, and the heart attacks came only after millions of patients were exposed over time. Be cautious, folks, you only have one body. Best wishes, S. Wasserman, MPH, MD
Hello Alias, sorry if that was more information than you needed. It was originally written for a person who was casting doubt on the adverse reactions. S. Wasserman
Actually, your information is most interesting and appreciated. I am no MD, but have a rudimentary understanding of bio and I am wondering if you can PM me with links/study names? I am just now hearing people report eye pain, and I am getting some intermittent, sharp pains in my eyes. I am currently using CareProst after a 4-year break from using it. However, I was getting some of this eye pain (though not to this degree) before i restarted the product. I have been reading that this eye pain is a common symptom of MS, and other common medical conditions. My problem is that no one ever DESCRIBES the eye pain believed to be associated with Latisse/careprost. Sharp, occasional pains like mine? Different? This makes it hard to know if there are other conditions being blamed on the meds. Re: the color change, recently I have been reading reports and also comments from doctors on this site, that the color change only occurs with GREEN eyes, or hazel/green eyes, and that true blue-eyed people do not get color change. The testing in Nordic regions would seem to dispute that, though. I do appreciate the detail, but there has been some bad info passed around here so I would be grateful if you would site some specific (and at least some of then recent) studies regarding color change, peri-orbital fat loss, and other symptoms associated with thse products. I am near a major university and I can access the science libraries there. I would be most grateful if you could PM links and other info. Alias
I was foolish to risk trying it. I pray that Allergan scientists can work kn a product to reverse the iris darkening.
Hi Alias, I did not experience and did not post about color change - only periorbital fat loss. O necan't post links on this site, but if you Google the article by Dr. Stanley Berke, in the Journal of Ophthalmology, "PAP: New Concerns for Prostaglandin Use" --the article details how Bimataprost – the active ingredient in Lumigan, Latisse, and Careprost -- causes periorbital fat atrophy (PAP). And Swasserman, who commented above, explains how you can find medical studies re: color change. Best of luck.
If they did, would you trust the product not to cause some other problem?
If they did, would you trust the product not to cause other problems? I think the problem is that since the FDA has been basically bought out, there's no longer anyone regulating Big Pharma...
To Blossoms and luci67 I am panicking. I received laser damage where my skin is carrying and fat is atrophied and was using latisse at the same time. I have noticed my eyes looking so sad a hallow but thought it was because of the laser. I now realize it is the latisse. So I have double the problems! I am so depressed. I thought that as long as my skin looked really bad I should try to take care of everything else and ended up making it SO mush worse I don't look like myself. I can't even look at myself in the mirror. My question for you is if you think 4 months is along time and if it can reverse? I have read of ppl using it 6 weeks with reversal but I am 2.5x more than that.
Hi LMS I think you will recover. L there are medical studies that resulted in people recovering from the peri orbital fat loss. I did the same as you. Had major laser damage to my skin, felt do bad looking at my skin wreck I got lash extensions to feel better. Than I couldn't have them anymore - time and expense. Then I got latisse to fix lash damage, as felt so bad. Then I got iris eye colour change and it's likely to be permanent. Yours will heal in time
Please try increasing your healthy oils like fish oil, avocado, flaxseed and virgin olive oil.
I really hope so. It's been getting me so depressed that I don't even look normal on top of my skin being really messed up. I'm sorry to hear about ur eyes and skin as well and thank you for getting back to me.
Also, yours still has not improved after 6 weeks of use? That is so scary. I noticed my eyes sagging about 2 months ago and stupidly kept using the damn product. I am now almost 5 months out form using it. I was hopeful but hearing that you still have not seen a change in the fatloss after all of this time after just 6 weeks of using it sparingly makes me nervous.
You have beautiful eyes, I hope that you recover from the damage. Can you tell me if you were using just a tiny bot of product on the lash lineonly, or were you putting it into the eye?
I used the tiniest drop. I would drop it into the cap and then dip it into an eyeliner brush. I then applied it to the lash line only, as per latisse instructions. I only used it 2 - 3 times per week for about 7 weeks. It was never out in my eye. An Opthamologist told me that whatever you put around your eye and eyelid will actually also get into your eyes. Latisse should really start working in a product to reverse these permanent and long term side effects, especially the eye colour change and the fat loss
I only used it on the lash line as well. But note that the doctor whose study I cite above notes that even so the product will inevitably get in the eye (I suppose by dripping, migrating, and being absorbed through the lid)... But mine are now almost reversed... it did take more than a month...
Hi, I only used Latisse for 2 days (in an attempt to bring my lashes back from some damaging extensions) and I noticed this slightly beginning with my left eye only. It looks like it has one more fold (and a little droopier) than my right eye. I'm freaking out. Did yours reverse itself?
Hi Carrie, yes, it seems to be reversing for me... and the doctor I mentioned above in my review also said that he's seen it reverse many times when it's only been used a short time... I'm sure yours will reverse since you only used it for 2 days...