Latisse/Careprost Made my Eyes Sunken & Hollow (Periorbital Fat Atrophy)! - Los Angeles

Latisse/Careprost made my eyes sunken & hollow...

Latisse/Careprost made my eyes sunken & hollow (periorbital fat atrophy) after ONE WEEK!

I normally do not post my story online but I would feel responsible if I did not warn people about this horrible side effect.

I am 46 years old and before using this I was often told I looked in my mid-30s. I used Careprost (identical to Latisse) for only ONE WEEK. I used it as directed, although I also used it on my eyebrows, which many dermatologists have said could be done to promote growth of sparse eyebrows. However, I used only ONE DROP for both eyelids and my eyebrows.

I am Caucasian, but my eyes, which previously had an almond/"hooded"/"bedroom eye"/almost Asian shape (like Blake Lively, Jennifer Biel, and Jennifer Lawrence -- Google image search "hooded" eyes" for examples) now have an ugly, hollow and sunken look with a very deep sulcus. The almond shape is GONE! The atrophy (disappearance) of the fat, which had formerly made the skin above them firm and gave them the nice almond shape now causes the shape of the eye socket itself to be very prominent so that my eyes are now round, and the skin where the fat used to be is now loose and wrinkled. And they are uneven. One eye actually has 3 creases above the lid, and the other has 2! The hollow and sunken look makes me look MUCH older -- I can definitely no longer pass for my mid-30s. I am devastated.

My eyes, which were previously my best feature, are now ruined. The worst part is that before this, my eyelashes were not short and stubby -- they were actually pretty long, just very thin and almost albino/clear so they were nearly invisible without mascara -- but with the new volumizing and lengthening mascaras they could look lovely. Now, instead of having nice almond eyes that could look beautiful with mascara, I have sunken, old-looking eyes that never look good.

Again this was after only ONE WEEK of use. For anyone who doubts this, please read the article by Dr. Stanley Berke, in the Journal of Ophthalmology, "PAP: New Concerns for Prostaglandin Use":
The article details how Bimataprost – the active ingredient in Lumigan, Latisse, and Careprost -- causes periorbital fat atrophy (PAP).

He explains why ophthalmologists haven’t noticed this until now and says that once he became aware of it he now observes it in 100 PERCENT of his patients who use Bimatoprost -- and he observes advanced cases in many of his patients after only 3 WEEKS.

He also explicitly says that this WILL OCCUR WITH LATISSE:

“It’s also important to realize that this effect will occur even when the drug is only being used for cosmetic purposes, as when it’s prescribed as Latisse (bimatoprost 0.03%). Beyond the desired effect of lengthening the lashes, the eyes may become more sunken; some patients may look better, but some may look worse. I’ve seen lectures promoting Latisse given by doctors who were not aware of this side effect. Clearly, any time a medical professional prescribes a drug, knowing all of the side effects is crucial.”

Bear in mind that periorbital fat atrophy causes not only the tissue AROUND the eye to atrophy but also the tissue BEHIND the eye -- so the eyes not only look sunken and hollow, but actually do, literally, SINK into your face (see the pictures)…

This may not be a big problem if your eyes are somewhat prominently set to begin with, or if you have a lot of fat around your eyes (Dr. Berke even notes it can be cosmetically helpful for people with very loose, puffy, baggy lids with fat prolapse) -- but for others, like me, it can be devastating.

Dr. Berke says that once his patients stop using the Bimatoprost, the effects seem to reverse themselves after a few weeks, although he thinks that when it’s been used for a long time this may not be the case. I can only pray that mine will reverse. If not, in the quest for some stupid standard of “perfection,” I may have permanently ruined my looks.

Despite this effect bring known to occur in patients using the drug for glaucoma, Latisse does not list this anywhere in their literature as a possible side effect. I was very careful to read about side effects first before making the decision to use this.

I predict that once word about these horrible effects gets out to a greater extent, Bimatoprost will be banned for cosmetic use. Meanwhile, please, DO NOT USE THIS, unless you don’t mind risking developing old, sunken, hollow, ugly eyes.

Update 3/3/14

Btw, I did not mean to imply that I look like any of those actresses (lol) just that I had similarly shaped eyes! Unfortunately I don't have any recent photos of me that are close-up enough to really show my eyes, but I found a picture online that looks very similar to the shape my eyes previously had. The next 2 pictures are my eyes. I think the hollowness is actually already starting to reverse after three days not using Careprost. You can see my left eye is the worst. Three days ago that eye had 3 distinct creases above the lid; now you can clearly see two and the third is getting fainter. I did email Dr. Berke (who, I want to point out, did NOT prescribe this stuff to me -- I have never been his patient -- he is the author of the article I mentioned above that I found in the Journal of Ophthalmology which describes this phenomenon among caused by Bimatoprost, the active ingredient in Lumigen, Latisse and Careprost). He was kind enough to respond to my email and he said that normally the problem reverses when the Bimatoprost has been used for only a short time. So that was somewhat reassuring. I will post more updates in a couple of weeks and hopefully you'll be able to see what my eyes normally look like.

My eyes BEFORE

These are my eyes before -- I didn't think this picture was close-up enough but I think you can see the difference in the shape of my eyes.

My eyes BEFORE

Fat loss reversed after stopping Bimatoprost (Careprost/Latisse)

So it's been 3 weeks since I stopped using Careprost and my eyes look about back to normal. I will post an update picture soon. Just wanted to let everyone know there's hope and it should reverse itself, especially if you haven't used it for too long - and this is what the Dr. mentioned above said as well. So please don't panic. I think it's easy to freak out, especially when we don't have good comparison photos of "before" it's easy to imagine it's worse than it is.
self-prescribed

I went to a plastic surgeon for Juvederm in my lips. While there he commented on my sparse lashes and said there was a great product available called Latisse, that would help them grow longer and thicker. As we talked I got really excited about it because my lashes were very skimpy. So I said sure, I'd like a script. He told me to get enough on the brush so that when applying to upper lid a little would make it's way down to my lower lid, plus it was good for thickening eyebrows too. He did say there may be some darkening on my lids at the lash line and possibly eye color change but not likely. I now have fat atrophy and sunken eyes. I'm depressed over the damage Latisse has caused and have been researching for nearly two years for the best doctor and appropriate treatment to get the volume back. I too feel it's my responsibility to warn others of the problems that they may encounter with this dangerous product.
I'm sorry to hear about your situation, MsMelody - so you've experienced no reversal at all? How long did you use it? What made you notice - was it a gradual thing?
Sorry to hear it hasn't reversed. I'm in the depressed because of Latisse Club too. Many people have reported the fat loss recovering. My eyes slightly sunk and I haven't seen it change. But it's only slight. I'm left the devastating permanent effect of iris darkening :(
I'm sorry this happened to you. I am also one of the people that the fat loss has not reversed for. :(
Thank you and there has been no reversal, unfortunately. Started off using it as prescribed - nightly, until I noticed good growth. Then dropped to once or twice a week. Occasionally, I would miss a week. But overall use of Latisse was about two years.
Bless you, Blossoms. I feel heartsick for each and everyone of you. How long has it been since you discontinued Latisse use?
I'm sorry you're going through this too. :( Have you seen a oculoplastic surgeon about possible corrections? Sorry if this has been asked and answered already.
Hi it is ten months since I stopped using it.
Wow reading this now. That stuff sells like mad. I know somebody that distributes it. I just started to talk to him and he hasnt brought me any. Lol. He took a pic for me just today of how many he sells. He had big boxes delivered today.. now you know how little those bottles are. Im going to ask him what he knows. Im sure he wont like that question much
You are all so lucky to have a side effect that will reverse. I have the permanent eye colour change. It has made me very depressed. It's so difficult to get ready everyday and see your eyes are not the bright pretty colour they once were.
As I mentioned somewhere in this thread, my fat atrophy never reversed. I suspect it has to do with how long the product is used before stopping and how much damage has occurred at that point. I used it for a couple of years, sparingly. The changes were gradual, but over time very severe. Surgery ultimately corrected most, not all, of the issues, and was quite difficult.
What surgery corrected it? Im flying to LA for all the messes a surgeon caused me. Sunken is one of the things after my eye surgery. I only used one bottle of latisse.
This happened to me too! I was in my mid 20s and now my under eyes look really terrible like worse than a 50 year olds. My eyelashes were really long too. I feel so depressed for doing this to myself. Mine isn't reversing unfortunately, even though it seemed to for everyone else.
I'm so sorry- that is horrible! Maybe it is just taking a long time to return. I have read that most people return to their baseline, although there is limited information. You must be so frustrated. Are you using any creams or natural oils? I had some dermatologist grade eye cream and have since it changed back to just plain face lotion. It has helped with the crease more than all the fancy eye creams/emollients with plant extracts etc. some of that stuff tightens skin and I decided to stop using these products after my eye changed back. Who needs more tightening when you want the periorbital area to be fuller! Just a thought:) I feel like stopping eye creams and using good thick face creams or olive oil helped replenish the eye area. Please let us know how it goes for you .
Olive oil is great on both facial and eye area skin. I also use the expensive serums now because they've really helped me, but I often moisturize afterwards with olive oil. Love it. :-)
I don't know if you have seen the other post on this site (awesome site:) but please look! You aren't alone:(
Luci- I used it for about a year- although not every day. It took a really long time for my lashes to get longer/ thicker, and an even longer time for my change to my left eye. Stopped use for about 6 months and one day I looked in the mirror and it was gone! I'm a researcher at heart- decided to use it for two weeks and yes, it went right back to making my eye (Asian) double folded. Again, just the left eye. Experiment is over!! I am so glad you posted this- thank you! Caused me to do a thorough literature search with your help. My case wasn't bad- just left a slight line where the fold had been (however I do wish that wasn't there:) but it wasn't like my experiment was going to change the presence of a now permanent line. Again, thank you!! How are you doing? Is it better?
thanks! yes, mine seems pretty much back to normal... did you use it every day for the first 16 weeks?
I'm so glad your eyes went back to normal!! I tried to use it every day but honestly I maybe averaged 5 days for the first 16 weeks. Then I took a break- had an emergency surgery and ended up in the hospital for a week. I was in the hospital often over the past year and would skip use- so I think it took a longer time to build up and evidence the change in my left eye. The change to my lashes did really become noticeable around the 16th week of latisse use- and that's why I kept on using it. I first thought my eye had changed because of weight loss from being in the hospital but I have stayed around the same weight and when I stopped usage my eye returned to it's usual shape! It was so strange- that's why I experimented with it. (I didn't experiment to try to see if I could make a double fold because I wanted the end result to be that of blepharosplasty, I just wanted to make sure it was the latisse that made my left eye age, so used it every day for brief time. I just want to make that clear because that would be dangerous! Anyhow - sorry for rambling:) I did use Latisse for maybe an average of 4-5 days the first 16 weeks - a rough estimation:) sometimes less but I can't recall
Thanks, Eef, that's really helpful info for people who are panicking - that even after a year or more of use you can reverse it a great deal...
True- what other topicals are harmful? Made me think
Renovation project- that's awesome that you put out so much information- it's truly scary how massive lack of knowledge is out there about this. So helpful for others to hear about this all and everyone sharing what they have learned. Although I scanned the literature your post was a great summary of the important points. Thank you!
Oh- and I reviewed the scholarly articles and one suggested it may be able to be used as blepharoplasty in a bottle- and while it's an interesting idea I hope that no one would actually try this. I would never want to change the shape of my eyes but I am well aware of that many Asian woman want traditional western eyes. I am not an MD, but have a PhD and oversee scholarly activity for residencies and the lack of research is frightening. Please PLEASE don't experiment with Latisse- it likely will not effect your eyes in the same manner. That is- periorbital fat loss will not occur in a systematic manner bilaterally. You may have one eye change and the other eye different. It is too unknown and possibly dangerous to experiment with!!
Hi Eef, yes, I've read that article as well, it's "PAP: New Concerns for Prostaglandin Use," and I highly recommend reading it for anyone using or considering using Latisse or other prostaglandins. Other enlightening article in the same vein : "The Coming Age of Enophtalmos," and "What Clinicians Need to Know About Prostaglandin-associated Periorbitopathy." The other thing that may just boil down to common sense is that topical substances can be absorbed into tissues and the blood stream, meaning the fact that the drops aren't applied directly into the eye may not matter. How many topical serums are we told will penetrate deep into the tissues to which they're applied to stimulate desirable changes? Think vitamin C serums, Retin A, etc. It's not much of a leap to realized topically applied bimatoprost can also penetrate the skin to which it's applied, is it? Anyone who has ever used an estrogen patch can attest to how rapidly systemic effects are realized. Topical application doesn't mean it can't have an effect on what lies beneath.
All good points, Renovation!