Careprost (Generic Latisse) - Buffalo, NY

I bought the generic form of Latisse called...

I bought the generic form of Latisse called Careprost. It's the EXACT same ingredients but I only pay $10 a bottle plus $25 in shipping. I use one drop for both eyes and I'm guessing a years supply will only run me $100 at most!
It's only been 4 weeks but I thought I'd write a review then update later. My lashes are thicker & longer. Not incredibly noticeable yet but you can see in the before & after.
I think I notice some peri orbital fat loss (my eyelids seem bigger-kinda like the fat on my upper eyelids has lessened.) this may just be my imagination since I read this could happen. I think it looks fine though & I'd guess in the maintenance phase it won't happen (only apply once a week).
My eyes aren't dry or itchy. I do notice my eyelids get red quickly if I rub them. They might have darkened a bit & I have darker circles under my eyes. This could be cuz I have horrible sleep habits though- I'm not sure if they're more pronounced now or if I knew to expect them so I see them...
Anyway, so far I LOVE this stuff. One month down, 3 more to go!

Periorbital Fat is back to normal!

So I was putting too much on each night & I thought I noticed some peri orbital fat loss. My friends said I was imagining it! I took a few days off anyway & I believe that made my lids go back to normal. Now I'm using a teeny tiny amount right on the lash line & the problem has completely gone away.

(Part of last review)

Okay, i hit enter and it won't let me go back and edit.
Anyway, here's the most recent pic. My eyelids seem the same. Maybe a tiny bit different but it could just be the angle.

None

I've been using Latisse and then transitioned to careprost for about 1 year now and couldn't be happier with the results. Over the years, I've purchased from various stores and it wasn't until last summer that I found my latest store and they were the only ones that actually knew how it is supposed to be applied. Before, I was putting drops into the cap of the bottle and dipping the brush there and applying. This is a huge mistake and I was basically asking for an infection. Just like latisse, you have to avoid having the tip of the bottle touch anything. The second you double dip, its basically contaminated, and once you put the cap back on, you could potentially contaminate the entire bottle. I learned all this from inquiring almost everyday from crystal beauty 101 who was patient enough to give me all the specifics. They included the same eyelid brush that I used to get from Latisse, not an eyeliner brush which requires more drops as it doesn't spread out easily on the eyelid. A bottle may last over 2 months but it loses its effectivity and can possibly be bad for the eyes. Once a bottle has been opened, it can't be used for such a long period of time as it may initiate infection. Putting 3 or more coats of mascara can be a potential cause of fall out after cleaning your eyelashes. Gentle care is much needed to keep it from falling out. Wash it gently and one or two coats of mascara will do its magic. In a nutshell, find a company who can communicate properly in regards to what they are selling to eliminate improper usage of the product which causes infection and contamination.
Oh not for me. I have always used clean technique and Careprost hurt my eyes terribly! Read my April 3, 2014 below. If it was doing what it did to me, I would think that Careprost is not well regulated, is dangerous to use and will harm your eyes and health.
Do you also believe Latisse is poorly regulated and dangerous? Latisse causes those exact same problems for some users.
Based on the severity of symptoms on a scale of 1- 10 with 1 being the worse corresponding to the least regulation and causing undesired, severe, hurtful side effects, I would give Careprost a 1 and Latisse a 10. So yes, I strongly believe Latisse is well regulated and Careprost is not at all.
Gwyneth, I'm glad *you* are having good results with Latisse, but you seem to have some inability to acknowledge that Latisse causes *others* (including me) the same problems you had with the Careprost. Please read that carefully: Latisse can cause the exact same problems as the Careprost. Neither is superior - they both have the exact same risks, and those who can't tolerate one sometimes do well on the other.
Oh no, not for me, Careprost is dangerous based on what happened to me! It was horrible, But thank you for acknowledging my results with Latisse.
I searched for it on all day and nothing comes up?

Found it. Thank you :-)

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

I use Latisse and my eyelashes look fake because they are so long and thick. I had to quit using the generic form of Latisse because I had a severe reaction to it. It was horrible!
I'm sorry, I guess everyone is different when it comes to skin reactions. Careprost has been wonderful for me!
What kind if reaction? Redness and itching? I think maybe since they use less preservative, sometimes the generic stuff gets bacteria. Is there a way to check to dates on it?
Works for me too. BOTH products make my eyes itch if I use too much. Latisse no different for me.
Wow! Your lashes are fabulous!
Thank you, I sooooo love this stuff, they have gotten so long they hit my eyeglasses! Guess I'm going to have to slow down lol
I have a prescription Latisse or its generic, but I need someone to tell me exactly where I can get the prescription filled mail order. No pharmacies in my area carry the generic brand. Many of the reviews talk about getting the product t but not one review tells me where to get my prescription filled. Please help. Signed, julie
Julie, you can Google the ingredient "bimatoprost", or better yet, the product name (listed in the title of this review). You'll find it at overseas pharmacies, and your prescription is applicable to that. This is the overseas version of Lumigan/Latisse. Keep in mind that, with any product, some people have the exact same response to both the generic and the "label" brand, while others respond well to one but not the other. And some respond well to a product only to develop a sensitivity over time (I've seen a lot of this with Latisse!) So if you have an issue with the generic, take a break for a few months and restart, slowly (every other day, or even every 3rd day), and it often resolves the problem. Also, be sure to have regular check-ups with your eye doc just to make sure your eyes are healthy. Hope that helps!
So that all are aware...there is no "generic form" of Latisse. Genetics are available for production once the patent expires on the brand name formulation. Latisse is still under patent, and therefore generic formulations are not available. Because of this, a comparison cannot be made between Latisse and the product you are using. It is not the same formula, regardless of what who sold it to you may have told you. This could explain the side effect profile you may have experienced. A cheap attempt to quickly recreate a brand name product without the same strict regulations required by the FDA. YOU ARE PUTTING THIS ON YOUR EYES. Please be careful. This product is $10 for a reason.
Latisse contains Bitmoprost. This is an ingredient used to treat glaucoma. Latisse is nothing more then glaucoma with a new label. So when I say "generic latisse" I mean the original medication that Latisse is rebranded from. And yes, all the ingredients & quantities are exactly the same. Furthermore, peri orbital fat loss, irritated skin, and all the other side effects CAN be caused by Latisse. I've talked to a few women online who used real Latisse and had this happen. I've also read a lot of studies that cited use if Latisse as a cause. Don't think you're safe from it just cuz you're paying more. If you don't get this particular side effect then that's great- most people won't. But it has nothing to do with it bring Latisse or an off label medication.
Eisley and Katlin, I tried Latisse and it worked for me, it grew my lashes long. I then saw the ad for Careprost and thought I would give it a try. I proceeded cautiously only applying a drop for both eyes. I watched very carefully to see what would happen and within days I had a very strong negative response to Careprost that I did not experience with Latisse. I then stopped using Careprost IMMEDIATELY after I noticing very distinct problems which included my eyes tearing ALL DAY, blowing my nose constantly of course because of the tearing , the vessels becoming extremely enlarged around my eyelids, purple hued darkness of my eyelids, I couldn't even see the redness because my skin was more on the blue side (hence the PURPLE color of my eyelids). The symptoms were so distinctly different from what I experienced with Latisse that it frightened me. The alarm went off and that was it for me - no more Careprost! Now that is not to take away from the experience you claim Eisley, but a warning to ALL, if you experience this in the first week, or if something seems wrong at all at ANY TIME you are using these products, STOP immediately! Pay attention to your body and what it is telling you as these are signs that something is wrong that could really hurt you. I have returned to using Latisse, again being careful to watch for any symptoms since one could become sensitized to any chemical after prior exposure. So far, a month has passed and I am not experiencing anything like I did with Careprost. I have a little dryness. I do use only one drop for BOTH eyelids with a very thin brush. I apply it so that it does not wick into my eye or even touches my eyelashes. The application line is very close to the lashes but does not touch the lashes at all. I use it in the day so I do not inadvertently rub my eye during sleep and cause it to enter the eye. Good luck.
Kaitlin, yes, there is a generic form of Latisse, just like there are generics of most other drugs. Bimatoprost is the active ingredient in Latisse, and Careprost is a generic version of Latisse/Lumigan. Latisse has the very same potential for periorbital fat loss.
Gwyneth, Latisse also causes those very same problems for some people. Some respond better to Careprost, others to Latisse, and some can't use either of them. Careprost and Latisse/Lumigan are identical with one exception: Careprost is formulated with a slightly lower concentration of the preservative, so it should be used within the month for best results (I've always ignored this and had no problems, but I'm always ready to toss a bottle if necessary).
In case there's still any doubt, it looks like some of the doctors right here on RealSelf confirmed that Bimatoprost is, in fact, the generic form of Latisse/Lumigan: http://www.realself.com/question/latisse-bimatoprost