18 mo. paralysis of inner frontalis muscle after coronal brow lift

Do NOT have a coronal brow lift. Endoscopic do not...

Do NOT have a coronal brow lift. Endoscopic do not last and coronal is cutting you whole head from ear to ear! I had horrid pain where surgeon did not close incision, drain failed three times, major pain for months, head itches continually, one eyebrow is now 1 inch lower than the other and this brow is paralyzed 4.5 months later.

Surgeon was supposed to have been top-notch. He never explained that he could inadvertently cut or damage the frontal branch of the facial nerve and never admits it. There are MANY options that I wish I had known that would be MUCH better than a brow lift. Surgeons do not want to try new things...just things they have done for years and for which they can get top dollar! Do NOT fall for anyone's assessments. It is NOT worth it!

At 18 months, after a coronal brow life and face...

At 18 months, after a coronal brow life and face lift, my left eyebrow is still 1" lower than than the right eyebrow, resulting in a "mean" look. The surgeon has used Botox on the right eye and on the "drooping" left eye tissue, but this wears off. After about 1 year, the outer frontalis muscle started to work again, but the inner frontalis muscle still does not. The doctor has said that eventually these start to work again and to be patient, but I am weary with waiting and hate the "heaviness" of the paralyzed eyebrow as well as the strange look.. He has used laser and Botox but nothing works for long! Please tell me if a stitch above the brow, a brow-life in the hairline (which is now receded) or anything else would work? Is this a more difficult surgery than the original coronal brow lift? I would NEVER have done this if I had known the problems that have occurred! It has been a nightmare from the beginning with MAJOR problems with anesthesia, pain, etc. I will go anywhere in the US if someone knows the BEST thing to do. Many thanks.

I have consulted every specialist I can find in...

I have consulted every specialist I can find in the US from Bascom-Palmer, NY, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, etc. and each says it will take a full brow lift or a mid brow lift, which will both leave a scar.

There is NO skin or wrinkle to hide a scar in hairline or forehead. Endotine will not work as it is inner or medial brow that is needed. I am beyond discouraged.

I have one brow that ended up higher than the other after a brow lift that used the eyelid itself as an entry point. For me it's been two years so I suspect any change has already happened. What I have come to, similar to you, is that a direct brow lift near the eyebrow for the lowered brow may be the only certain, controllable way to offer symmetry. There may be a small scar but may be less noticeable than two off-kilter brows. I haven't done it yet; and, if you do please post know how it goes.
Pretrichial Brow/Forehead seem to be the best option for brow lift. That's what I had and although I have temp. paralysis/nerve damage that I will have to wait 2-6 months for regrowth of nerves and up to 1 year for absolute final results, I think it's the way to go. Also, must, must, must go to a board certified doctor, discuss/know different procedures, ask to see before/after. If a doc tells you the good, bad, and ugly side of surgery, at least you know he's probably a straight shooter and honesty with regards to Cosmetic surgery is a necessity. Hang in there! :)
I went to a board certified doctor and knew the risks. It has been 18 mo. and I still have paralysis in one brow. I have had MANY replies from doctors on this board and they will all tell you that it can happen to the best. Nerves can be damaged or severed. You have NO guarantee that 6 mo. or a year will bring yours back either.
Thoughts are with you.....
You are not going to believe this!!! The eye doctor gave me 500mg Motrin for my eye and cleaned it out really good with q-tips. (very gross and hurt like crazy). Today, I got up and my brow had come down significantly and the pulling has started to decrease!!!! I'm on cloud nine! The moral of the story is to be patient. I think we all hit a low point during our recovery. Saturday was rock bottom for me. Thank goodness my opthomologist could meet me late that day and give me some relief. I'm so thankfull that you were kind enough to respond to my posting. It made the weekend so much easier to endure. You are very sweet to have helped a total stranger. Do you mind if I give you another update after my next doctor appointment in 2 weeks? No more wall bumping! Got to wear contacts today.
What I meant to tell you was that I think the Motrin, being an anti-inflamitory, has helped with the relaxation of my brow and forehead. It feels totaly different today. I waited the appropiate amount of time to start taking Motrin, based on post-op warnings. YAY!!!!
Chris, you are bumping into walls! Please keep up your humor; it's what will get you through. Never thought about nose and eyes at the same time making it tough to wear glasses.....hmmm.....
If you think your surgeon is "terrific" I am sure he can revise the left brow. From experience I can say don't rush it, though. Wait 6 months to see if the other brow comes further down as the swelling resolves. That way he can match them with greater accuracy. Best wishes to you.
Oh, one more thing that pushed me over the edge this weekend is that my opthomologist suggested I leave my contacts out for a week and NO make-up. That's fine, but I can't wear my glasses for another month or two because of the rhinoplasty! I'm bumping into walls!!!!
Have a great Sunday!
The right brow is perfect, and my nose is amazing. No complications at all. My husband says I look 10 years younger. He is worried about the left side, too, but, as you said, it is still very early. What is frustrating is that one is good so I compare the good with the not good! : )
i just think (or I hope) that the right side is taking longer. I still love my surgeon and trust him. Can't wait to see him this week.
Thank you for your response. It's nice to hear from other women out there!!!!
If someone wants a brow lift there doesn't seem to be any "best" option. The endotines fail after 2 years and many surgeons don't release the forehead and brow muscles adequately; the coronal causes a higher brow line with high rates of nerve damage and hair loss; the browpexy fails by 6 months and results in frequent asymmetry and eyelid problems....who are the people that are "thrilled!" with their results? I don't like that plastic surgeons are marketing their procedures to make money big time! There was a day when surgeons were highly respected. Now, it seems like they are marketeers!
I feel as though I might be a victim of what you are describing. I am 6 weeks out from revision rhinoplasty. My surgeon suggested a lateral brow lift to correct drooping of my lids. My left brow is PULLING like crazy and it seems that ot may not correct itself with time. There has not been any change, as of yet, so I'm beginning to highly doubt it is going to happen. I am having trouble with that eye due to dry eye, as well. I have an appointment with my surgeon in 2 days to discuss the problems. He is a well know facial reconstructive surgeon and I trust him. Maybe these things just happen. I can tell you, he did a Wonderful job on my nose. The staff was great and I had a very positive experience, with this one exception. I'm sure it can be fixed, but the one thing we all look forward to is getting past the recouping. Looks like I may have to go through this again.
Thanks for your comment.
I know 6 weeks seems like forever with the 'pulling' sensation but for eyes that is still considered early part of recovery. My oculoplastic surgeon, who corrected the mess my ps did on my lids, had me apply a very warm moist heat (wet and warm wash cloth) to my eyes at least four times a day. It was hugely helpful to reduce the tension and soothe my eyes. Next week I go back to have him fix the other lid. I was hoping for a lateral brow lift down the road so keep me posted on whether the pulling sensation passes and if you see any change in brow position. Some ps's think if the lateral lift is done enough the brow looks devilish; but underdone may not lift the brow fully. Best wishes to you.
I completely agree and have to respond in order to save anyone from the emotional pain I've experienced from the coronal brow lift procedure. I am 49 years old. My surgeon was going to do a minimally invasive brow lift and a bleph. I awoke from surgery to find my entire head cut open and stitched ear to ear. He decided for himself, during surgery, to do a coronal, because he wanted it "to look perfect, and I decided you already had a high forehead, so you were used to it). I had never even heard of a coronal browlift and would never have done this to myself. The higher hairline, balding patches, permanent scarring, numbness,etc. has been awful. Can't go outside if there's any wind. Affected me even more emotionally and mentally than it has physically, which has been severe in itself. Please think very carefully before this procedure. It is highly invasive and has many bad side effects that are permanent, esp. the hairloss and scarring. Wish I had never done anything to change myself. I'm happy for the folks on this site who are happy with their PS decisions, and I thank them for being so open and sharing. But because the surgery did a coronal without any prior discussion or informed consent, it's been a terrible experience for me. PM if you have any questions.