20 Year Old College Student Size 34H to 34C Just Wanting to Feel Better - Brookline, MA

I have been on this site for quite sometime now...

I have been on this site for quite sometime now dreaming about having a Breast Reduction. Well, I have finally taken the first steps!
My story is the same as all of you: I've had large breasts since puberty, I am self conscious, terrible back pain, and I desire to feel more confident, comfortable, and happy! I am 5'8 and have a pretty normal size frame but my bust makes me look so much larger. I have not worn a regular bra in over a year. It is too uncomfortable so I only wear sports bras. This makes clothing much harder to find and makes me self conscious when I walk outside every day.
I am living in Chicago but I am flying home to Boston to have the procedure done. I flew home the other day to spend some time with family but also to have my consultation.
Dr. Halperin has multiple surgeries on the day of my consultation so I was squeezed in between her surgery times. I was nervous about this at first, afraid I would feel rushed and wouldn't have time to ask questions. I was wrong! She was professional, took her time with me, and covered all of the bases! I watched a video to start and cried, both because I'm an emotional person, and because I am nervous and excited all at the same time. Then the Dr. came in and told me all about the procedure and addressed my issue with anesthesia. I told her I would like to go from a 34H to a 34C! She said this was perfectly realistic and she believes I am a great candidate.
So now we play the waiting game. My info was sent off to the insurance company so hopefully I hear in the next week or so if I have been approved.
Thanks to all you ladies for sharing your stories and photos I can't wait to have this done and to pay it forward to others on this site who are looking for comfort, hope, and a place to find answers.

Update- Insurance & Setting The Date

Hello everyone,
Sorry I have not been on here in forever but with school starting and other priorities this fell by the wayside. However, making arrangements for surgery have not taken the back burner!
My insurance approved the whole thing! (YAYAYYY!) I am very happy about this and so thankful that my insurance (Harvard Pilgrim) was able to cover the surgery in full!
So as soon as I got word that I had been approved I set the date! School ends on Nov. 24th, I fly home the 25th, Pre-op the 26th and surgery on December 2nd!! I cannot believe that the time is coming and I actually have an appointment.
I really have not been able to pin point my exact feelings. I am not nervous nor and I happy that I am having surgery. I think I'm more determined to get it over with and get on with my life.
Before everything was approved I was having strange dreams about surgery but since I made the appointment these dreams have subsided. I really feel ready for this and determined to get this all over with and come out on the other side as a new person. Anyone else have these types of mixed feelings?
Thanks ladies! I will be sure to update before pre-op and of course the rest of the journey!!

I Think I'm Over Thinking It

In my last post I talked about mixed feelings. Well right now in this moment I'm scared. I'm babysitting, the baby is asleep, and I have found myself surfing this site rather than doing homework (typical college student).... & all of a sudden a HUGE flood of nerves and questions has come over me. I jotted all of this questions down but I'm also going to write them here...sorry if they don't make total sense its a lot of just word/question vomit from whats swirling around in my brain.

-rather have smaller & flatter than bigger and perkier (don't care about preserving the shape I just want a c/d NEVER DD)
-extra skin make this hard to make smaller?
-Will I have extra skin?
- removing lower tissue pedicle rather than superior pedicle method
-vertical lift rather than wise-pattern anchor
-mederma scar cream, vasiline, coco butter?
-genie bra, sports bra with clips, front clip bra? Over the head sports bra ok?
-what bra will help them to maintain shape?
-any way to make all my blue veins go away?
-What if pain pills make me sick like when I got my wisdom teeth removed?

Ugh! I feel overwhelmed. I can't believe I'm 20 & having to have breast reduction! I'm trying to stay positive and think about how nice it will be to have it done with and then actually be able to dress like I'm 20 rather than constantly wearing Size L or XL clothing and be more comfortable in everyday life.
Okay that is my rant for today. If you can make sense of any of my odd questions feel free to answer! Thanks ladies! :)

We're Getting Closer!

Less than a month till the big day! My feelings about the whole thing still go back and fourth but I know in my heart of hearts that this is necessary and will be life changing for me! I keep thinking about how different life will. I few times I've had to buy clothes, such as the dress shown in these pictures, I just think "This will look so much better in just a few months!" I'm also planning a trip to Las Vegas for my 21st this summer and I know I will be SO thankful for the surgery when I can finally wear a swimsuit and sexy dresses!

Back Pain & Rescheduling

Hello ladies!
Recently I have been receiving so much support form friends, family, & all of you which really makes this so much better!
Today and yesterday I have had major back and shoulder pain. With finals coming this week for school it's all just getting to be too much and all I can think about is how much relief I will have when I'm finally on the other side.
My only rant for right now is that my PS keeps rescheduling my Pre-op! This is the 2nd time she has rescheduled on me so I'm starting to get worried that my surgery could be rescheduled which CANNOT HAPPEN since I'm coming all the way out to MA from Chicago just to have this done & to have enough recovery time at my parents house. Hopefully nothing will get changed again.
My only big question at the moment is a lot of my friends keep asking me how long I will be recovering for and I never really know what to say but i think the biggest thing is they want to know how long it can be before I can move my arms over my head. What have you all experienced?
Thanks ladies! xoxo

PreOp & Questions

Hi Ladies!
I had my pre-op appointment the other day. It was very easy just last minute questions, signing paperwork, and my PS walked me through the schedule for when I come in. I'm curious if you ladies had the same directions as me. I have to wash my body with this special soap the night before and the morning of surgery. I got the soap today, do you think I can use if after surgery as a body wash, i don't want it to go to waste? Next I'm starting to look for front closing sports bras. JCPenny and Target had NOTHING! I was pretty discouraged, now I'm scouring online looking or the perfect front closing sports bra that has the right amount of compression but will still be comfortable and easy enough for me to zip/clasp on my own. Any suggestions for a brand, style, or place to get them? (I don't really have a Walmart near me and I'm not a fan of them so that will be my last resort). Lastly, any suggestions on sleeping in an armchair? Using types of pillows or tips to be comfortable since I'll be in one of those for a while.
Thanks ladies! I can't believe I'm having this done in just a few days. I'm starting to get nervous but just ready to have it over with and start recovering!

Tomorrow Is The Big Day!

So tomorrow is the big day and I really still don't know what to think of this whole ordeal. I've been keeping busy today trying to keep my mind off of it. I cleaned up, did some baking, homework, got a pedicure, and now writing this. I can't believe that tomorrow afternoon I will hopefully have a totally different lifestyle where I am more comfortable, more confident, and happier! I will hopefully post tomorrow night or the day after with pictures and to let you all know how it went down. I think I'm more nervous about the iv and then the car ride home than I am about the actual surgery itself. I bought the fruit of the loom front closing bras from Walmart in a bunch of different sizes so hopefully those work out int he next few weeks. There is a lot of "hopefully" at this point because I honestly don't know how any of this will play out. Tonight & tomorrow I'll wash with the hibaclens soap and not eat after midnight (I don't have much of an appetite anyway) then tomorrow I'll be on my way in my button up flannel. Should I shave my armpits tomorrow morning or tonight? Not being able to shave for a while is really going to bother me but oh well Id rather have hairy armpits for a few weeks than these huge boobs for the rest of my life! If you have any last minute tips, advice, or just positive vibes it would be greatly appreciated! I can't believe this is actually happening!

Day 2 Post-Op

Sorry I didn't update sooner! I had surgery at 11:45 on Tues Dec. 2nd and I've been sleeping and sitting around ever since. Pain in manageable, today I'm trying not to take any pain pills just tylenol. I've mostly been sleeping in recliner and I have slept through every night which is good. I still have the nausea patch on which I think helped me A LOT with anethstesia and pain pills (I usually vomit from those things so Ive been very happy I had no vomiting).
I have not looked at my breasts yet, I'm honestly pretty scared. Tonight I get to shower so hopefully I won't pass out when I look at them. My PS uses dissolvable stitches and no drains so Im just stuck in this surgical bra. My left breast did have some leakage but I believe it has subsided. My mom has been checking on it since I'm too scared. I'll try to post pictures of my incisions tonight when I shower. Anyone have any tips on how to shower and keep comfortable for these next few weeks since I really cant do much.
Thanks!

Day 2 Pictures

I was sooooo scared taking off the surgical bra to shower but I finally got enough courage to do so! Here are some photos! So far so good, the surgical bra was digging into me so now I'm wearing a fruit of the loom bra that goes down really far but still gives support and is much more comfortable. As for the breasts they look so small but still swollen so I'm not even thinking about size yet. I still can't believe I did this! I'm off the pain pills so hopefully I can sleep through the night without them. Also had a small bowel movement (TMI sorry but we all have to deal with it) and my mom keeps pumping me with prunes and metamucil....gross. Hope everyone else is doing well!

Day 5 post-op feeling good!

Hi everyone!
Today has been great! I slept on my back last night not as propped up as usual and woke up this morning feeling fine. I took some tylenol but the pain is pretty much nonexistent just some discomfort from this front closing bra and I can feel zingers from the incisions once and a while. I went on a 2 hour excursion today for the first time to Old Navy and Target. I walked around (pretty slowly) and did get a little tired/stiff and swollen but nothing unbearable. I can move a lot better now and I'm feeling really good! I have my 1 week appointment on Tuesday so I'll post photos then. I've just been keeping them wrapped in this bra 24/7 and relaxing in the house most of the time. It was nice to get out today and put on clothes that were not pajamas! I think the hardest part has been showering since I'm so scared to touch them! My mom has been helping me shower since I don't have as much range in motion but when it comes to touching my breasts I am pretty scared. I know I have no reason to be but I'm afraid if i touch them they're going to fall of or pop open! (I'm crazy I know) Hope everyone else is doing well.

Sorry I haven't update! 9 days post-op! (7day post pic)

Hi everyone! Sorry I have not updated! I am taking a class right now and I was working on a paper and I honestly forgot because i have been feeling so good! I have no pain just discomfort with bras and occasional zingers but other than that everything is perfection! Here is a picture I took while in the drs office for my 1 week appointment. she said everything looks perfect and I need to keep doing what I'm doing. I drink lots of water, sleep on my back, and I have been out shopping and what not so I'm feeling really good! I'm so happy with the size and shape so far and I recently got a sports bra with a little more support compared to the front closing fruit of the loom bra. I'll post pictures of those another day. Hope everyone else is doing well. :)

2 weeks post- Bra pictures

Officially 2 weeks post! Feeling better everyday and healing nicely. I have had some pain on my right side today that feels like swelling or just a deep bruise. All apart of the healing process I suppose along with occasional zingers. Still really happy with the shape and size and I have 100% feeling in my nipples. I forgot to post last week that when I went to the doctors I found out that I had almost 2lbs removed! Right Breast 370grams removed & Left breast 450grams! These pictures show the bras I've been wearing- fruit of the loom size large or medium to sleep in because they softer and champion front closing sports bra in size XL for during the day because it has more support but it's a little on the big side so it doesnt push them together. (don't mind the wrinkle on my left side, that's just from the soft cup).
I'll end with a funny story: I was eating a snack and for the first time ever I dropped something down my top and it fell right through my bra and out the bottom! No more finding food stuck in my boobs at the end of the day! Hahaha
That's all for today! I'll update next week!
Dr. Terri Halperin

She's great but a very busy lady! Had some scheduling issues but it all worked out and so far so good! She was comforting before the procedure and answered every question I had. Definitely recommend!