20 Year Old College Student Size 34H to 34C Just Wanting to Feel Better - Brookline, MA

I have been on this site for quite sometime now...

I have been on this site for quite sometime now dreaming about having a Breast Reduction. Well, I have finally taken the first steps!
My story is the same as all of you: I've had large breasts since puberty, I am self conscious, terrible back pain, and I desire to feel more confident, comfortable, and happy! I am 5'8 and have a pretty normal size frame but my bust makes me look so much larger. I have not worn a regular bra in over a year. It is too uncomfortable so I only wear sports bras. This makes clothing much harder to find and makes me self conscious when I walk outside every day.
I am living in Chicago but I am flying home to Boston to have the procedure done. I flew home the other day to spend some time with family but also to have my consultation.
Dr. Halperin has multiple surgeries on the day of my consultation so I was squeezed in between her surgery times. I was nervous about this at first, afraid I would feel rushed and wouldn't have time to ask questions. I was wrong! She was professional, took her time with me, and covered all of the bases! I watched a video to start and cried, both because I'm an emotional person, and because I am nervous and excited all at the same time. Then the Dr. came in and told me all about the procedure and addressed my issue with anesthesia. I told her I would like to go from a 34H to a 34C! She said this was perfectly realistic and she believes I am a great candidate.
So now we play the waiting game. My info was sent off to the insurance company so hopefully I hear in the next week or so if I have been approved.
Thanks to all you ladies for sharing your stories and photos I can't wait to have this done and to pay it forward to others on this site who are looking for comfort, hope, and a place to find answers.

I have my breast reduction with Dr. Halperin on Sept 16. She has been wonderful. I was worried about coverage, but she worked hard to present my case and got me it on the first try. I am a 34 DD and 28 years old. If you want to hear more about my upcoming experiences, I would be happy to share!
Best of luck to you! You will be SO happy. I had my BR end of February. I only wish I'd done it years sooner. It has really helped in so many ways (less back/neck pain, more self esteem, less self-conscious). If I could have asked for one more thing, it would have been to ask for lipo or lipectomy for my underarm fat, which of course is cosmetic and would not be covered. I didn't know about it then either or I'd have asked. However, I am very happy and grateful to have had this opportunity at a new life. It really has been life changing for me.
Good luck to you; I hope insurance comes through quickly! Judging from the level of social discomfort you feel with your current proportions, I bet this will be life changing for you!

Update- Insurance & Setting The Date

Hello everyone,
Sorry I have not been on here in forever but with school starting and other priorities this fell by the wayside. However, making arrangements for surgery have not taken the back burner!
My insurance approved the whole thing! (YAYAYYY!) I am very happy about this and so thankful that my insurance (Harvard Pilgrim) was able to cover the surgery in full!
So as soon as I got word that I had been approved I set the date! School ends on Nov. 24th, I fly home the 25th, Pre-op the 26th and surgery on December 2nd!! I cannot believe that the time is coming and I actually have an appointment.
I really have not been able to pin point my exact feelings. I am not nervous nor and I happy that I am having surgery. I think I'm more determined to get it over with and get on with my life.
Before everything was approved I was having strange dreams about surgery but since I made the appointment these dreams have subsided. I really feel ready for this and determined to get this all over with and come out on the other side as a new person. Anyone else have these types of mixed feelings?
Thanks ladies! I will be sure to update before pre-op and of course the rest of the journey!!

I am 4 weeks post op from reduction with Dr Halperin. She is a master at what she does. I was anxious before the surgery the closer it got. I was more worried about being put under than anything else. I will tell you that the anti nausea patch she prescribes really helped. I didn't get sick. I also had no bruising. I was nervous 2 days after for my first shower bc I was expecting for things to look rough. They didn't. They were beautiful. Anxiety is normal, but as someone who has gone through this process with the same doctor, I am telling you that you are in good hands.
Glad to hear all is well with your recovery! Thank you so much for this comment, It makes me feel 100x better!
Mixed feelings are very normal. It's a big decision and shows that you're thinking about it carefully. I'm 11 days out from surgery in Boston too. are you having it done at a hospital or the doctors facility?

I Think I'm Over Thinking It

In my last post I talked about mixed feelings. Well right now in this moment I'm scared. I'm babysitting, the baby is asleep, and I have found myself surfing this site rather than doing homework (typical college student).... & all of a sudden a HUGE flood of nerves and questions has come over me. I jotted all of this questions down but I'm also going to write them here...sorry if they don't make total sense its a lot of just word/question vomit from whats swirling around in my brain.

-rather have smaller & flatter than bigger and perkier (don't care about preserving the shape I just want a c/d NEVER DD)
-extra skin make this hard to make smaller?
-Will I have extra skin?
- removing lower tissue pedicle rather than superior pedicle method
-vertical lift rather than wise-pattern anchor
-mederma scar cream, vasiline, coco butter?
-genie bra, sports bra with clips, front clip bra? Over the head sports bra ok?
-what bra will help them to maintain shape?
-any way to make all my blue veins go away?
-What if pain pills make me sick like when I got my wisdom teeth removed?

Ugh! I feel overwhelmed. I can't believe I'm 20 & having to have breast reduction! I'm trying to stay positive and think about how nice it will be to have it done with and then actually be able to dress like I'm 20 rather than constantly wearing Size L or XL clothing and be more comfortable in everyday life.
Okay that is my rant for today. If you can make sense of any of my odd questions feel free to answer! Thanks ladies! :)

Hi again. I will speak from my own experience w dr. Halperin. I am in a similar boat as you as far as age and size. I have no extra skin. She did an anchor incision because it was the best fit for me. She will tell you what she thinks she will do for you based on your breasts. Lollipop is completely possible. When you go home, you will wake up in a compression vest. You will have steri take and gauze on your breasts so you won't be able to peek until 48 hours later when you shower. She told me to wear the compression bras and best until I went to my first follow up appointment 2 weeks later. I only used my compression vest that they gave me, but you might want to buy an extra one. They will give you gauze when you go home so you can put between your breast and bra. When you follow up with dr. Halperin, she will give you the go ahead to wear a front closing sports bra without cups. The idea is more compression but in a sports bra form. This compression will help keep the swelling down. Also. No over the head bras. You could strain your pec muscles and that could mess with swelling and your incisions. Keep in mind she will tell you cupless sports bras because she doesn't want anything shaping your breasts. On your second follow up (5 weeks post op), dr. Halperin will tell you that you can start wearing normal bras but not to buy anything fancy because more than likely your breasts will still be swollen. You can go back to light activity at this point. Also she will tell you to get merderma (she wil give you a coupon too) and she will talk to you about massaging the scars. You will do this morning and night. Tell Dr halperin what pills made you sick, she can prescribe you something else. If they end up making you sick, they have a 24 hour line you can call and they will make it work for you. You can also take over the counter pain medication 48 hours later. I didn't take the pain meds very long and I wore my anti nausea patch until I showered, which helps with not getting sick from the meds.
Thank you so much for your comment! It has honestly made me feel better! I just cannot believe I'm actually having this procedure I think it is finally starting to hit me. But i am glad that I have Dr. Halperin & amazing women like you to give me all the advice and information I could ever need! Thank you!
RE: pain pills. You will not be in as much pain as after your wisdom teeth removal. If the narcotics make you sick, you don't have to take them. Usually extra strength tylenol is enough. I took the narcotics for a day but they made me feel sick and at one point I felt like I was melting. I have the blue veins too. They seem less noticable now because there is less area being taken up by my breasts. And I just figure they are visible because I have such nice fair skin.
Dr. Terri Halperin