Laser Hair Removal for Dark Skin with Nd:YAG Laser - Bronx, NY

I have been contemplating having laser hair...

I have been contemplating having laser hair removal for a while, so I was happy to learn there was finally a laser safe for darker skin tones, the Nd:YAG laser. I am a black women with a medium dark complexion and very dark brown hair. I just got my third treatment (of six) today for under arms and so far I am very happy with the results. My treatments are spaced 5-6 weeks apart.
The procedure is very fast: it takes no more than 3 minutes for each side. I shave the morning of the procedure and the deodorant is removed right before the procedure. There is pain involved, very similar to the "snapping rubber band" pain I've read about. But the pain gets less intense for each treatment, and it is tolerable because the procedure is so short. If I were getting a larger area treated, I think I would need a mini break! There is also a strong jet of cold air blown over the treated area during the process which helps numb the area some. For me, the pain of the laser is much less than the pain of waxing. Be prepared for a mild smell of burnt hair during the procedure. Right after the procedure deodorant can be reapplied immediately. I have had only minimal discomfort (I can't even describe it as pain) for the next hour or so after treatment. No pain meds or other aftercare is needed.
As for results, halfway through treatment, I have about an 80% reduction in hair growth. The hairs that are present are baby-like, so from a distance you really can't see them. Be prepared that the hair loss does not happen quickly. For me, my hair actually got stiffer and thicker for the first two weeks after the first treatment. I was initially upset, thinking the treatment didn't take. But 2-3 weeks later the hairs started falling out on their own (gentle exfoliating during a shower helped quicken that process). Also, I have had no scarring or discoloration. The darkening of the armpit skin associated with previous shaving has almost disappeared.

I wish I had done this procedure earlier because it is so nice not having to think about shaving my underarm area every few days. But I am glad I waited until technology offered a safer alternative for those of us with dark skin tones. I am planning to have my bikini area done next.
Studio Esthetique

Studio Esthetique in Riverdale (Bronx) is great! Quiet, super clean, personal, prompt and professional! So far I have never had to wait: appointment at noon, I am walking out the door at 12:12! Rejane does all of my treatments and she is amazing! You will not be disappointed. I also appreciate the fact that the staff does not try to sell you additional procedures. The atmosphere is relaxing!

Thanks for your review. I too am of a darker complexion and need laser hair removal. I made an appt for a consult at this spa.

Hi there, welcome and thanks for sharing your experience with us!

Is this type of treatment a "one off", or will you need to have periodic touch ups of those areas to keep the hair away?