I'll Take You Back to the Start - Brisbane, AU

Last year was a difficult year for me and I...

Last year was a difficult year for me and I remember thinking, what better way to move forward then by getting a new tattoo. That's where everything clearly went wrong. I have other tattoos already but to be honest, I love them - but unlike this tattoo, they mean something to me. So it was November last year and I decided I would get a large flower design on my left hip. I would like to state that I mean no disrespect to the tattoo artist, she is wonderful and incredibly talented. It wasn't until I saw the tattoo on my skin that I panicked! Immediately I did not like it! The following day I delved straight into research regarding tattoo removal. I spoke with several reputable places in Brisbane and spent hours researching the procedure on the internet. This procedure is not something to take lightly. This is your skin you are messing with! So once I found a reputable place I made a consultation. I was told I could not start treatment for a minimum of 2 months. Apparently the ink needed to settle into my skin first before attempting to remove the tattoo. The ladies who spoke to me during my consultation were amazing. They were friendly, and answered my million and 1 questions. They were incredibly knowledgable and I felt comfortable. I paid for 6 sessions upfront costing a total of $1800 AU (that is with a discount for purchasing several sessions!). Yes, it's expensive, and if someone tries to tell you otherwise, I would be hesitant to allow them to commence the procedure. The ladies were honest with me and said it will more than likely take more than 6 sessions to completely remove the tattoo. I couldn't believe it! So finally the two month mark came around and I went in for my first treatment. As you can see in the photo, the tattoo is quite large, so because of this I had to split the first session into two. I completed only the bottom half and returned 4 weeks later to complete the upper half of the tattoo. I could not believe the pain! IT WAS TERRIBLE! And I have a high pain threshold. I returned 4 weeks later to complete the first session. I saw improvement almost immediately - the tattoo was much lighter than prior to the first procedure.

6 November 2013

Goodmorning fellow bloggers. I have receive an overwhelming response from users, and I am very grateful. I have posted two photos online the first photo is a side angle and shows the tattoo only hours after completion. The other photo (close-up) shows the state of the tattoo 5 sessions later. Unfortunately the photo does little justice. The tattoo has certainly faded and if I stretch the skin I notice it has certainly shattered into smaller pieces. I am due for the second stage of the 5th session next week. The second stage of each session involves removing the upper half of the tattoo. I have noticed the upper half of my tattoo is deeper and darker compared to the remainder of the tattoo. I recall the upper half of the tattoo is where the artist commenced hence why it is deeper and darker. I take it she became fatigued several hours later hence why the bottom half is responding to the removal more effectively. Once I complete the second stage of the 5th session I will post another photo. I will attempt to take better photos for you all so you can get a better idea. I hope I have answered some of your questions and queries. Until next time.

5 sessions later

5th session complete

As some of you are aware, I completed my 5th session of tattoo laser removal two weeks ago. I didn't want to post a comment regarding the treatment as I wanted to see whether I would notice a difference after two weeks. Hate to say, I am finding it difficult to notice a difference. In saying that, there are subtle changes and the tattoo has faded dramatically. I was wondering whether the lines are suppose to start breaking and disappearing? It appears my tattoo remains in one piece however it is dramatically lighter in colour.

I have my 6th session before christmas. Following the 6th session I will be required to fork out another $1800 (more than likely) for what I am guessing will be another 6 sessions. Loosing patience with the process and I really hope that after the two years I have committed, the tattoo will cease to exist!

Words of encouragement are highly welcome!
Image by Laser New Farm

I am happy to recommend the clinic I visit. If you wish to know the name, please inbox me and I am happy to disclose the information.

I am at the same spot you are! I've had 6 sessions with great fading, but when the doctors said 8 to 10 sessions, I would expect to be further than I am. Patience is key! I am the most impatient person ever (which is why I'm in this situation). Here lately, I've become more impatient and find it so hard waiting between sessions! The expense is terrible, I know. So far, I've spent around $2300! I'm only half way! I thought this thing would be gone for about $2000. Stay strong! It's going to be a long process, but as TenaG said, it will come! Thinking of you! :)
I know how you feel with not seeing the results you wish for. I am 12 treatments in on my chest and feel the same now. I am not going to give up though so be patient! it will come
Hey. Stick with it. Have been doing tattoo removal for a couple of years now ( on multiple tattoos). Trust me when removing black tattoos treatments 5 to about 8 are like 'no man's land'. the first stages of removal seem quite rapid. The 'no man's land' phase is a real test, I think quite a lot of people drop out at this point. I found that from around treatment 9 onwards things really look up. I don't mean to undermine your clinic but I think they always underestimate the number of treatments required. I was quoted 10 - however realistically I wouldn't be surprised if I need another 5. Which would mean that I will have had approximately 17 treatments on my remaining tattoos. Just be patient...your tattoo is actually quite pretty and easily covered in the meantime ;)
Thank you so much for your comment! I checked out your latest photos just a moment ago - I am super impressed! I guess I just need to be patient and expect another year of hell (at least!). I had a feeling that may be the case; treatments 5 to 8 taking their time. I was quote 12 to 15 treatments which I guess is a little more realistic than 10. I am not looking forward to forking out another $1800 for 6 more treatments. What was a $150 tattoo has turned out to be a very expensive process! Again thanks for your comment, I really appreciate seeing the later stages of tattoo removal. Can I ask, how do you feel about the whole process now that you have more or less removed one entire tattoo?
Hmmmm....great question! Tattoo removal is a curious process (which sometimes feels like a beast). I am finding that during the really faded stage, it actually gets more tough than when you had the tattoo!! I am still removing forearm, back and neck pieces. I tend to cover these up around people because they look really weird and pretty ugly! I feel more self conscious of them!! I hate explaining that I am now desperate to erase something that was once a point of pride. At this point I am also a little concerned that I will end up with an obvious removal shadow which would look more stupid than a tattoo. Up close, the tattoo that was on my stomach has an oh so faint mark that looks like a slight bruise. I am really happy with the result though. I am positive that this faint mark will fade out in the next year (like any other scar). Suffice to say that removal is not for the faint hearted!! PS I have been travelling so missed treatment on my remaining tattoos. Might not get treatment till new year so will be sure to post some pics.
Lots of valid points here! It's a curious process indeed and a real test of someone's mental strength and resolve. I'm really hoping that when I reach the end of this process I'll be mentally tougher and I'll have learnt some important life lessons. The waiting is just tortuous though.The fading is not something you can notice on a day to day basis, because it's so gradual, but you can't help but feel deflated when you wake up every morning to what appears to be little change. The progress pictures are a must in order to track your progress and keep your sanity and this site / the other blogs have been important in me not losing my mind! I'm half expecting a shadow of some description when they've removed as much ink as possible, but I know I'll be ten times happier than I am now when I reach that stage, as I know a year worth of treatments will be behind me. I've never felt so low as I did in the summer when I knew I was right at the beginning of a very long process. As each month passes my spirit lifts a little as I see more progress. Mentally, I'm still in a rough place because of all of this, but I'm hoping that in another 6 months and 3 or 4 more treatments, this thing might be near the end! Thank you again for this review, it's really helpful.

Thanks for your update :) I feel for you...it's such a long process!! wilks1986 nailed it,  and I agree there is some fading. The outline is always the most dense so it takes longer. Have you considered waiting longer between sessions? I find mine has continued to fade and my last treatment was in Oct.

Hey, there's definite fading happening here. From what I've read, if the tattoo was applied at a uniform depth all over, and if the laser technician passes over the area using the same setting, then the tattoo will fade out pretty much in one go (rather than different sections). This is where it can be a little deceiving - it might appear that not much is happening, because you're looking for breakages in lines etc, but in actual fact the whole thing is fading down at the same rate. Your pictures show a considerable difference, and I know everyone's tattoo will fade out at different rates. Maybe at your next session you should quiz them a bit on the power they're using and see if it can go up a notch or two to speed things along? Perhaps the position of your tattoo might be playing a role? I know the lower down the body you go, the more difficult it gets, but yours is almost mid-section, so shouldn't be too bad. Whatever the case, you're making progress and heading in the right direction, that's what counts!!
Thanks for the comment, really helped! I will be sure to check out your progress when I get the chance!
Thats a lucky laser.lol,jk
Hey the second photo isn't posted. Try again !:)
I love your tattoo lol oh well

Hey there, thanks so much for sharing your story with the community, we have a wonderful group of people here so you found the right place! I actually think your tattoo is so pretty, however if it's not for you then get rid of if ;) What kind of laser is being used to treat you?

I believe the laser being used to treat me is the Q switched laser (Medlite C6). Is that a good laser?
The C6 is supposedly the "gold standard" for tattoo removal, esp for black ink on skin that is 1-4 (based on the Kirby-Desai scale)...1 being the fairest skin tone. The C6 uses a 1064nm wavelength, but I believe it also converts to a 532nm as well (not sure). I am using the C6, and if in experienced hands, the results are good from my experience.

It's a very commonly used laser and I have heard good things about it. Being that you tattoo is all black it is easier to remove.

I also meant to add check out Medlite C6 Laser + Tattoo Removal you can also post a question to the Doctors as well.

If you can find someone with a "Picosure" laser in your area, I would really recommend trying that one over any other laser. The results on some tattoos are spectacular.
Hi! Glad to hear you are having good results. I am in a similar situation with a similar size tattoo on my hip as well. Which, like you i disliked straight away (though i have spent the last 6 weeks trying to convince myself that i like it). I'm located on the gold coast but am considering traveling to Brisbane for laser treatments. Would love to see post treatment pictures. :)
Have you commenced treatment? Could you post a photo of the tattoo. I was having a chat with a girl last week who had a tattoo on her shoulder and you could notice it was dramatically faded, so I asked her whether she was receiving laser treatment. She wasn't. I was a little embarrassed for asking but she didn't mind. I was telling her about my tattoo and where it is positioned and she said that she heard it takes longer to remove tattoos that aren't exposed to the sun on a regular basis - hence why mine feels as though it's taking forever! In saying that I have noticed a slight difference and I am hoping over the next few treatments I will see a dramatic change. Be prepared, it's a lengthy and expensive process. But what is the alternative? Have a tattoo on your body that you dislike? Reality is, suck it up for 2 years and remove the tattoo or have it remain there for the remainder of your life? I know which one I would rather choose. If you need any further advice or support, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Hey glad your seeing results and glad you waited 8 weeks to start.jeez that price is crazy high.here in America alot of tattoo shops are starting to laser so it's dramatically Cheaper. Post updated pics! Also tattoos don't have to mean anything , they can just be beautiful art on the skin if done right. :)
I have been to America twice and believe me, tattoo removal isn't the only thing that is expensive in Australia! Virtually everything costs more in Australia compared to America. The price has dropped in Australia for the same reason, tattoo removal is becoming very popular over here. I know tattoos don't have to mean anything but I guess the reason I don't like this tattoo is because I associate it with a darker period in my life. And I feel it is not me. I have no connection with this tattoo. How is your tattoo removal going? Have you got any photos?
Yeah check my review lots of pics. You have the nicest body I have ever seen if that makes you feel a little better about your ink. Haha