53 and in Need of a Change - Brisbane, AU

When a girl friend suggested this op a couple of...

When a girl friend suggested this op a couple of years ago I thought no thats not for me. But after years and years of yo yo dieting - actually I can't think of a time from the age of 15 onwards when I didn't diet, I thought there has to be a better way and started to explore the surgery options. At first I was keen on the gastric band but the more I read the less I liked the option and what seals its fate of not happening was that I live over 2 hours away from Brisbane so to have something that seems to be high maintenance just wasn't a good option. At first glance Gastric sleeve seemed to be a little to invasive but I must have been reading old info. I made an appointment with Dr Justin Greenslade and discussed my concerns - I have now booked in to have my surgery on the 10th Sep 2014.
Fingers crossed I have a uncomplicated journey.
Have approx 40kgs to loose and a strong desire for a more healthy active life.

Why didn't anyone tell us this?????

Health Warning! Do NOT shampoo in the shower
DO NOT wash your hair in the shower!!
It’s so good to finally get a health warning that is useful!!!
IT INVOLVES THE SHAMPOO WHEN IT RUNS DOWN YOUR BODY WHEN YOU SHOWER WITH IT. WARNING TO US ALL!!! Shampoo Warning!
I don’t know WHY I didn’t figure this out sooner! I use shampoo in the shower! When I wash my hair, the shampoo runs down my whole body, and printed very clearly on the shampoo label this warning; “FOR EXTRA BODY AND VOLUME.”
No wonder I have been gaining weight!
Well! I got rid of that shampoo and I am going to start showering with Dawn Dishwashing Soap. It’s label reads, “DISSOLVES FAT THAT IS OTHERWISE DIFFICULT TO REMOVE.”
Problem solved! If I don’t answer the phone or emails, I’ll be in the shower!

Well worth a good giggle.

A week to go....

One week to go. Am excited and more than a little nervous. Bag is packed with all those little things you don't think about last minute like lip balm - I hear that as you are restricted with fluids and this causes your lips get very dry, My own pillow - this is more for the car trip home as protector from the seat belt. Some Supradyn (dissolvable multivitamin) and a good book which I am hoping I will be up to reading.

Done and Dusted

Am now sleeved.... Its day 6 since my surgery and I have bounced back well.
Day 1 - I didn't cope well with the anaesthetics and was a longer time recovering than most.
Day 2 - was still very very nauseas and in pain but the drugs helped with that. And thank goodness I was in a private room so I could shut the door and turn out the lights (or at least the nurses could) and I slept and slept and slept. Its the best cure of all.
Day 3. - was starting to feel more alive except for when I decided to get up and go for a bit of a walk. Nausea flooded back and I realised that I couldn't race recovery.
Day 4 - I am home and in my own bed. As much as all at the hospital were fabulous and caring there is nothing like your own bed. It really is amazing how fas the human body repairs itself and how quickly you feel somewhat near to normal again.
Day 5 - Went for a walk -mmm what is it with me a walks. Got 3/4 home and found myself very light headed and very wobbly on my feet.
Day 6 - Finding the liquid diet a challenge. Cant seem to get that much liquid in my system. Find water to be tasting very metallic so am going with apple juice at present.
Diet at this stage consists of the following
Breakfast
shake meal - optifast or equivalent
plus apple juice
LUNCH
Shake meal + apple juice
DINNER
Cup of miso soup and apple juice
In between meals I am trying to drink water.
Dr Justin Greenslade

First meeting was friendly, professional and very very informative. He gave me excellent documentation to take away and read.

So glad you came through this so well, the whole is yours now!
I had that taste as well had a hard time first week come to find out I had thrush from antibiotics .Smooth sailing after that!Good luck on recovery.This is hardest part. You are handling it!! MGB was minimal invasive I didnt have pain .Hang in there!!
Good luck to you! I can so remember :) It has been 9 months this week . I am in size 10/12 was 20.At my highest 22/24 . Feels wonderful! You will feel so much better.I had MGB with Dr.Peraglie. Not any pain after. Good luck.This part is hard the waiting as well as liquids then it will be smooth sailing!
Thats wonderful and exactly what I am hoping for. This time next year I want to be down to a 10/12 and am more than prepared and happy to put the work into getting there. Thank you for you support.
You will be!
I wish!!! :)
Good luck, I have mine in 10 days..
Good luck, its exciting isn't it???? ...... I would like to say nerve racking as well but trying not to tell myself that - its that whole British "stiff upper lip" mentality. Please keep me posted on how you go. How much are you hoping to loose?
Poppie- I am hoping to loose at least 100lbs. I'm tall so anything under 200 would be wonderful,but I have the number 165 that would rock my world,so I guess we will see. I know one thing at $20,000 I am not just going to sit around and let it fall off by itself, I'm going to work as hard as I can with working out and eating what I'm suppose to!!
I understand, the amount of money we have to pay is motivation enough. Good Luck on your journey.
,Hi Poppie860, I to am in my fifties,did not start putting on weight till I was diagnosed with Fibro. everything changed after that. Felt so bad all the time had no energy to walk,excerise,even do daily chores,but no problem eating.I to want to get the sleeve,just starting out on my journey Sept.2 with my first Dr. app. just to talk about it,very scared but very excited. I weight 290 at 5'9" and I am ready to take the first step. Good luck to everyone!!
Thank you and good luck with your journey.
Good luck as you start this journey Mom1976!
Poppie - Melbourne VIC here! I'm waiting on mine on October 24th. I've about 30 kilos or 65 lb to lose, although as I wait that might creep up a little. Thanks for your story and I'll be interested in your journey and any post op Oz foods you manage, lucky for me I enjoy protein shakes and use them often already, it's just all the other food I use to that's my downfall, I'm a volume ester and the sleeve seems the best outcome for that.
Thank you and good luck. Since you have been using protein shakes can you recommend any? Have been investigating them and it seems to be a minefield out there as to which are good and which are not. Looking at the Aldi ones and Optislim which both got good ratings with Canstar Blue. Also looking a Delicious by Giant which you get through gyms - though the reviews on this one seem to be very mixed.
Poppie860 - I like BodyTrim, Optifast and Optislim, and between those 3 brands with their range of flavours I'm always able to enjoy a lower calorie meal once a day at least.
Thank you. I have tried the Optifast or was it Optislim - either way didn't have a problem with it though Someone did tell me that they have a lot of sugar in them - Sugar is my big enemy. Have you tried any of the other protein drinks that can be purchased from gyms?
I checked and sugars don't seem an issue on either (they are different products). The gym ones are more for bulking up, so says my gym junkie 20 year grandson. There are many versions in Heath food shops but I'm happy with those 3. Mind you, I seems our taste buds change post op, so maybe I'll have to try others then.
I agree - go with what we know.... The whole gym protein drink thing seems to be a mine field. It just that they say that protein is a great muscle healer so was looking for a product that had a high protein quantity. I didn't know about our taste buds changing I just thought we didn't crave food like we did pre op. Thank you for the info.
Poppie - I guess I'll know in just over 2 months! Very exciting times. I'm not eating as well as I should but I know, however I'm always trying and today I managed a 30 minute walk on my treadmill, of which I am very proud!
Welcome and thanks so much for sharing your experience with us!

Good luck with your surgery. I hope it all goes well and you have a smooth recovery. Have you had all of the pre-op tests yet?
Thank you. As I am in pretty good health just badly overweight so not doing any of the pre-op tests unless necessary.
Oh well that saves some time! I wasn't aware that the pre-op tests were optional (obviously your doctor's option).
Yes I did discuss this with my doctor and since I don't eat a lot of junk food (my problem has been portion control and continual grazing), do not have diabetes, kidney or liver problems to date then it wasn't really necessary. If you know of any other info I should be asking please let me know.
You should check out the following resources:

Sleeve forum - lots of support in there from other sleevers
Gastric Sleeve Guide