53 and in Need of a Change - Brisbane, AU

When a girl friend suggested this op a couple of...

When a girl friend suggested this op a couple of years ago I thought no thats not for me. But after years and years of yo yo dieting - actually I can't think of a time from the age of 15 onwards when I didn't diet, I thought there has to be a better way and started to explore the surgery options. At first I was keen on the gastric band but the more I read the less I liked the option and what seals its fate of not happening was that I live over 2 hours away from Brisbane so to have something that seems to be high maintenance just wasn't a good option. At first glance Gastric sleeve seemed to be a little to invasive but I must have been reading old info. I made an appointment with Dr Justin Greenslade and discussed my concerns - I have now booked in to have my surgery on the 10th Sep 2014.
Fingers crossed I have a uncomplicated journey.
Have approx 40kgs to loose and a strong desire for a more healthy active life.

Why didn't anyone tell us this?????

Health Warning! Do NOT shampoo in the shower
DO NOT wash your hair in the shower!!
It’s so good to finally get a health warning that is useful!!!
IT INVOLVES THE SHAMPOO WHEN IT RUNS DOWN YOUR BODY WHEN YOU SHOWER WITH IT. WARNING TO US ALL!!! Shampoo Warning!
I don’t know WHY I didn’t figure this out sooner! I use shampoo in the shower! When I wash my hair, the shampoo runs down my whole body, and printed very clearly on the shampoo label this warning; “FOR EXTRA BODY AND VOLUME.”
No wonder I have been gaining weight!
Well! I got rid of that shampoo and I am going to start showering with Dawn Dishwashing Soap. It’s label reads, “DISSOLVES FAT THAT IS OTHERWISE DIFFICULT TO REMOVE.”
Problem solved! If I don’t answer the phone or emails, I’ll be in the shower!

Well worth a good giggle.

A week to go....

One week to go. Am excited and more than a little nervous. Bag is packed with all those little things you don't think about last minute like lip balm - I hear that as you are restricted with fluids and this causes your lips get very dry, My own pillow - this is more for the car trip home as protector from the seat belt. Some Supradyn (dissolvable multivitamin) and a good book which I am hoping I will be up to reading.

Done and Dusted

Am now sleeved.... Its day 6 since my surgery and I have bounced back well.
Day 1 - I didn't cope well with the anaesthetics and was a longer time recovering than most.
Day 2 - was still very very nauseas and in pain but the drugs helped with that. And thank goodness I was in a private room so I could shut the door and turn out the lights (or at least the nurses could) and I slept and slept and slept. Its the best cure of all.
Day 3. - was starting to feel more alive except for when I decided to get up and go for a bit of a walk. Nausea flooded back and I realised that I couldn't race recovery.
Day 4 - I am home and in my own bed. As much as all at the hospital were fabulous and caring there is nothing like your own bed. It really is amazing how fas the human body repairs itself and how quickly you feel somewhat near to normal again.
Day 5 - Went for a walk -mmm what is it with me a walks. Got 3/4 home and found myself very light headed and very wobbly on my feet.
Day 6 - Finding the liquid diet a challenge. Cant seem to get that much liquid in my system. Find water to be tasting very metallic so am going with apple juice at present.
Diet at this stage consists of the following
Breakfast
shake meal - optifast or equivalent
plus apple juice
LUNCH
Shake meal + apple juice
DINNER
Cup of miso soup and apple juice
In between meals I am trying to drink water.

Ending of week 3

Coming to the end of week 3 post op and starting to feel the energy levels starting to lift. Walks are getting easier and I have more of a desire to do things now. Down about 9kgs which I think is ok.
Still playing with food and what works and what doesn't. I think sometimes it is more like breaking old habits. Breakfast through to about 5pm I do not have a problem. Oatmeal (very wet) for breakfast, small amount of tuna mixed with mayo and a slither of avocado for lunch. Then 5pm which was always my witching hour the want for food kicks in. Tried a couple of cashew nuts (yes I know - high in fat) which I chewed and chewed and chewed. Then I have a tiny helping of what I cooked for my husband - lasagne or Gnocchi. My mistake was my old habit of eating to fast. I forget and I race my meals which means I am not listening to my NEW stomach screaming at me "enough". Maybe I should go back to having Miso soup at night. So some bad habits die hard.
Dr Justin Greenslade

First meeting was friendly, professional and very very informative. He gave me excellent documentation to take away and read.