Back to my Real Self - Toronto, ON

My motivation to have explantation surgery after...

My motivation to have explantation surgery after 18 years was the heaviness and weight I felt every day and night. When I was sleeping I had trouble breathing and felt uncomfotable sleeping in many sleeping positions. I had been off work for more than a year because of the neck pain, back aches and migraines I used to have, due to the weight and pressure I experienced while working in my medical career. The implants greatly deterred me from many activities and sports I used to love. Tennis, my golf swing and yoga. I felt no matter what I wore they always looked too big for my body that was once very slim. I felt frumpy and heavy. I had somehow gained extra pounds over the years to fit with my large implants giving me a very curvy figure but one that was much larger than I really am. Probably from all the inactivity. I became very self conscious of my breasts looking fake as well. I don't regret having them put in. My implants were important to me in my early 20's but now in my late 30's I am comfortable in my own skin. I don't feel I need them to make me feel better about myself. In fact now that I have them out I feel like a new person!!! I love my real body. The one God gave me! I love how much slimmer I looked immediately after surgery. I can wear much classier and stylish outfits. I have a much more streamlined look. I am taking up all the sports I love again and I am losing my added weight I'd been carrying around all these years. I feel lighter, younger and sooooo happy for finally having the courage to go through with my decision of removing the implants that impeded my life.
Most Docs that I consulted with made me feel I was making a huge mistake removing them. They would say it would look like National Geographic.... Whaaat??!! I figured I had nothing to lose since the implants were negatively affecting me so much. I needed to remove them to see how much different I knew I would feel.
I searched and visited many plastic surgeons. I was uneasy about their methods or their agendas, techniques and attitude. I finally was researching a breast explantation forum where I came across Dr. Rodger Shortt's name. I spoke to my MD about referring me because of all the good things I had read there. From the time I met Dr. Shorrt, he immediately put me at ease. He was not pushy or trying to impose his views on me. He listened to my concerns and my problems I had with the implants and agreed that explantation would be the way to go. He warned me that I may not like the results immediatley following surgery but that after three months the tissues would heal and most likely shrink back to near my normal size/shape. He thought the results would be quite good and that if I was not happy we could always do something to down the road, if need be, to correct. His approach is "less is more". He did not try to sell me on a breast lift or a set of new implants. He had a conservative approach which I valued. He had analyzed my breast tissue and felt I would have decent results. That's all I could ask for at this point. I was so eager, desperate (although still somewhat nervous) to have them removed.
I really liked how honest and approachable Dr. Shorrt was and I really felt I was in good hands. He seemed like he really cared and was not out just to make money. I felt so comfortable after my discussions with him and booked a surgery date. I knew I was making the right choice.
What's the worst that would happen? I could always put something back in if the results were absolutely horrible. Let me tell you it was not horrible. The surgery itself was easy. No pain. Almost no discomfort. I didn't even take one Tylenol that was prescribed.!! A couple twinges here and there as the tissues have been healing and shrinking to my pre-implant size but surprisingly nothing I could complain about at all. Amazing really!
It's been just over three months now since my surgery and I am EXTREMELY HAPPY with my results!!! No sagging that the other Dr's kept scaring me with. My breasts are firmer everyday and hardly and evidence of scaring! Scars are fading so fast. I only used the silicone scar strips a couple of times. I know in another couple months I won't see anything at all.
I look and feel amazing!!! I have no migraines anymore! I sleep well at night in any position I chose! I will be back to tennis now that the weather is getting warmer. Also, I have not one but two jobs now! I've started a new career and my life I so busy and productive again. It's taken me this long to write a review because I've just been enjoying my new life and the new real me. Everyday and with everything I do I feel so grateful and happy. I am so thankful that I made the choice to see Dr. Shorrt in Oakville, even though I live in Richmond Hill and had many other Dr's close by. He was the one that made me feel I was doing the right thing. Having explantation surgery was the best choice I have made in a long time and I'm so happy Dr. Shorrt was the one who I turned to. For any of you ladies who are frustrated or in need of any more information in this matter. I am open to contact through Dr. Shortt's office. I know how uncertain and stressful this decision can be.
Toronto Plastic Surgeon

Please see above. (Caring, non -pushy, patient and very thorough)

Thank you for posting your story. I have seen 2 PS about my explanation removal and left almost in tears. I want to have implants removed and possibly a lift ASAP. After reading your post I've booked a consult with Dr Shortt. I would love to hear more of your story. Sounds like you are quite happy with him.
I'm so glad you're out enjoying sports and things you love to do again. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience!
Hi there. Thank you so much for posting your review. I recently had a consultation with Dr. Shortt regarding removal and was very pleased. I agree with all your comments as these were my impressions also. I am planning to book my removal as soon as possible however it will he a few months from now as I have to have some blood testing done by a specialist first. I encourage anyone else to book a consult with this doctor as I felt very comfortable and he did not try to talk/sell me on any other procedures and was very supportive of just removing them. Just wish I would have found this site sooner as this is something I have been worrying about for the last 18 years!