Very Positive Experience with This Laser and Medical Spa - Brentwood, CA

Fraxel SR1500 Restore Doctor Recommendation: Two...

Fraxel SR1500 Restore
Doctor Recommendation: Two treatments over six weeks.
Demographics: Male, 30

I should begin by saying that I had generally good skin with minimal signs of aging going into my Fraxel treatments, just some lines starting to appear around the eyes and slight orange peeling of the chin and large pores. I only wanted a bit of a tune-up going into my 30s. I went to a medical spa in Los Angeles that I've been going to for over 10 years, so I totally and completely trust them (in fact, I had one Fraxel with them back in 2009). I was given the option of Vicodin, Xanax, or both, as well as a very strong numbing cream. Pain was only moderate, but definitely could feel the heat, so it's by no means completely pain free. Fraxel was not performed by one of the doctors, but again, I trust the nurses and technicians there, so this wasn't a concern for me.

1st day, swelling and some minor heat sensation for about five hours after treatment. 2nd day, some swelling on the face and under the eyes. 3rd day, moderate peeling, controlled a bit by mositurizer. I'm on day five, and already my pores are smaller and the lines around my eyes are virtually gone (keep in mind, they weren't too severe to begin with), and my skin looks a bit tighter and even. Still a tiny bit rosey, but not noticeable to strangers. This is similar to my experience with the same laser/medical spa in 2009, and I healed fine from that, so I have no reason to think this time is any different. I'm really excited to see the progress in the next few months. Already booked for session two.

Here's my best advice: This is a very positive review for Fraxel, with the caveat that Fraxel seems to be HIGHLY dangerous given the many negative reviews on the site of people scarred for life. DO NOT go to a clinic or a doctor unless TWO of your friends have had Fraxel there and highly recommend it. Fraxel done properly gives you improvement (that I'm already pleased with), but if someone is untrained or new with the machine, it seems like it can have horrible side effects. Also, just to be safe, ask your doctor not to be aggressive. I know Fraxel is costly, but better to go for one extra treatment than try and be thrify and ruin your skin with aggressive treatments. As with any kind of cosmetic procecure, please do not bargain hunt.

I feel so bad for the people who have suffered from this procedure, but I can only assume given my experiences that it's a function of where they went and who did their treatment. Be cautious about this. Again, let other people be your guinea pigs. Don't go aggressive if you are unsure of the doctor/clinic.

A couple weeks later: Fine lines around the eyes...

A couple weeks later: Fine lines around the eyes are gone, pores are smaller, skin is more even. My skin just generally looks better, and I'm looking forward to my second and final treatment. I will probably get two treatments every three or four years; however, I'm sure there will be different technology by then.

One caveat: About a week after Fraxel, I noticed I had a small line across the side of my left cheek, which looked like the tracing of the laser. It is very hard to notice, and while I was originally a bit distressed, over the last week or so it has diminished greatly, which leaves me thinking it will diminsh entirely soon. Not something I'm terribly concerned about and isn't effecting my satisfaction with the treatment.

Just an update about two months and two Fraxel's...

Just an update about two months and two Fraxel's later (last one was December 7, 2012). Overall, I'm very satisfied. I'm not willing to post pictures due to confidentiality reasons, but my skin just looks better. Less pigmentation, more even, smaller pores. Prior to treatment, I had some minor orange peeling around the chin, which now seems to be gone. I'm looking forward to 3-6 months from now to see the effects the reported collagen production. In my previous update when I talked about a laser-line scar, it disappeared after a few weeks.
Westside Aesthetics

I've been going to them for ten years for a variety of treatments, and I'm constantly referring others.

Thank you for your comments. I have just had a top up treatment. Today is the day after an my face is really swollen but not too red. I last had 5 treatments in 2006 and was delighted with the results. But today I am feeling a little sore an praying everything will heal well bt e honest it was a complete luxury to have the top up because I sm often being told how young I look because of my skin. I hope I haven't spoilt it and that it heals really well like last time. I don't remember feeling so swollen but I went to the same place and the procedure was done by the same doctor who I really trust. I am just being impatient! Please say something to encourage me. Also will I get that much of a result with only one treatment now ?
Sorry for the delay. My skin has healed wonderfully. I mean, I don't look like a decade younger or anything, just better. You probably already know how you've healed, at least initially, but I imagine if you got good results from the doctor in 2006, there's nothing to worry about this time around. One procedure probably isn't going to give you the same results as five, but your skin has already benefited from five treatments so there's probably less to correct, right?

Glad to hear things are going well:)

Thank you for sharing your honest review and positive results.   I am happy that this worked well for you.  Using the properly trained staff will make all the difference.