Currently in Braces After a Year - Brampton, ON

I had a 5 mm overjet and a tooth on top that stuck...

I had a 5 mm overjet and a tooth on top that stuck out from the rest. Also my lower teeth were slightly crowded, although they didn't really bother me. I just didn't feel I loved my smile like I once did so I took the plunge. I'm currently 16 months into my treatment and my orthodontist says I'm pretty close to taking them off because my overjet has decreased to 1.5 mm so it's very good. My bite has improved. Currently my lower midline is off centre by a bit, but he said that my bite is so good that it's best not to compromise it by trying to fix something that cannot be noticed anyway.

Over the course of my treatment my teeth have moved in ways that really bothered me. I had to keep in mind that this is absolutely normal and any tweaking can be done near the end of the treatment once my bite was fixed. Also I am much more aware of the shape of each individual tooth. I've always felt my teeth didn't finish growing up top so seeing myself with braces in the mirror everyday really bothered me. It has nothing to do with my treatment at all. Braces do not fix the shape of the teeth, they just straighten how the teeth sit in the mouth.

Also, your dental hygiene is extremely important. Flossing is much more difficult and time consuming but it is still a necessary step at least once daily. Also, making sure the area behind the wires are free of plaque is also crucial or you will end up with discolored or damage teeth once the brackets come off. The first few days after having them put in and having had an adjustment is painful, but not unbearable. Eating is different and you have to be cautious of what you eat. Anything hard or chewy can damage the bond that holds the brackets on the teeth. I gotta say I can't wait to have them come off. I hate smiling and I miss taking good pictures. I look different in a bad way. I hate how meat and greens just get stuck behind the wires and around the brackets. I'm always having to clean my teeth after a meal. But I know the end result will be worth it!!

Braces are coming off February 5th, 2013!!! That...

Braces are coming off February 5th, 2013!!! That will be a total of 19 months of treatment time. The last appointment today (January 8) they did some tweaking and added an elastic wire to tighten the front teeth because I told them there was some small minor gaps forming. They also took impressions of my upper teeth to have a Hawley wire retainer made. They gave me the option of Essix retainer (clear) as well. My ortho said in his opinion he'd choose Essix because they retain better. But I really hate how bulky it looks and to have that in my mouth every night would make me gag. My husband has a clear mouth guard retainer after his Invisalign treatment and it looks so bulky.

My next appointment they will be removing my braces and then placing a lingual bonded retainer on the top and bottom of my 6 front teeth on top and bottom. This appointment will take approximately 2 hours. My teeth are so ready!! I am so done with canker sores and bracket hooks getting stuck in my cheeks. Flossing with lingual bonded retainers will be no different than flossing with regular braces on. I'm just so happy to be able to floss my molars normally again and to be done with food getting stuck in my brackets. 19 months is a relatively short amount of time compared to the average 2 year treatment time for most patients. I know someone who was in braces for 5 years!!! So I'm relieved it's only taken about a year and a half. :)

So after 19 months I finally got my braces off....

So after 19 months I finally got my braces off. I'm not sure how I feel about them seeing as my teeth were not too bad prior to braces. When the tech handed me the mirror to look at me teeth i was about to freak out and say they were crooked!!! I had an overbite that needed fixing and one particular upper tooth stuck out more than the others. Here's the thing, I don't think my teeth look symmetrical anymore. Before at least they were relatively the same length on either side and looked straight over all. Now they look fake and weird. Maybe I just need time to adjust to them. My right upper could have been taken in a little more so it looks symmetrical to the left. The left was the problem tooth that stuck out before and I think the ortho purposely overcorrected it in case it wants to settle back to the same position.

I have bonded lingual retainers on the top 6 and bottom 6. The bottom ones are fine but the top ones feel so bulky. It took a day to get used to them but it will always feel like something stuck in my teeth. I also chose a Hawley retainer. Maybe I should've chose the Essix. I thought the Essix would be too bulky but it turns out the Hawley is bulkier on the roof of my mouth and makes me wanna gag.

I don't know how I feel about my teeth. I guess I'm relieved to have them off. I wish that both sides were symmetrical but it was so hard to tell with the brackets and wire in place. I probably would have lived with them another month if I had known they'd look this way.

In hindsight I really wish only one ortho was overlooking my treatment the whole way through. At about 6 months to 10 months into treatment I had the senior ortho for a some of my crucial visits and I really believe he may have compromised my treatment somewhat. One was the repositioning of that one tooth I feel is unsymmetrical. That bracket was taken off when it was not needed to and when it was replaced I feel it was replaced poorly leading to an off placed tooth. So if you go to a shared treatment orthodontist it is best just to see one provider. It keeps things consistent throughout treatment.

So I'm still on the fence about whether this was worth it. Maybe I could have gotten better results with invisalign but my overbite would not be corrected. Perhaps down the line in the future I may opt for that treatment. I'm just not so confident in my smile anymore. Maybe I just need time to adjust. Who knows....

Three weeks post braces I am quite unhappy with...

Three weeks post braces I am quite unhappy with the results. I'm thinking I should not have had them removed. I sent emails to my orthodontist listing him my concerns and I will see him to discuss what can be done to remedy the issues. I hate how my smile looks in pictures now. I feel like I have a snaggle tooth because one of the them was over corrected making the canine appear even larger than it is. I am contemplating getting Invisalign Express to refine the smile. I don't want to go back into brackets, but I know that it will cost extra. I've spent a total of $5900 so far. The treatment was $5600 plus $300 for the next 2 years of after care if needed. (Broken bonded retainers, etc.)

So I called my ortho's office and got a same day...

So I called my ortho's office and got a same day appointment (probably because of a cancellation) and my visit was almost an hour long after some time waiting for him. I showed him the overcorrection of the top left lateral incisor. Also he mentioned my left top canine was 1mm longer than the right so he shaved that down some more. He removed part of my upper bonded retainer on the 2 left teeth. (Ouch!) He took 3 moulds to make clear retainers to try to correct the one tooth. I really hope this works or else I will want to try invisalign express and pay more to refine the smile.

Wire bending is such an art and at the end of treatment it is so important to point out anything that seems off before getting them removed. Going through the removal process was so hard on my teeth. They were so sensitive for a week. Now my one tooth is experiencing unbearable sensitivity because the bonded retainer was taken off exposing my nerves after some enamel was taken off to have the bonded retainer stick better. Ugh.

My braces came off on February after 19 months...

My braces came off on February after 19 months treatment but I knew I wasn't happy with my teeth. My left upper lateral was so over corrected inward that I looked like I had a snaggle tooth in the opposite direction! After a week I took pictures from different angles and sent them to my orthodontist and he had the retainer made to push that tooth back out. I wore it for about 18-20 hrs a day like invisalign. After 3 weeks I went back in and I suppose it looked OK, so he attached a piece of the bonded retainer back onto the back of 3 teeth. So now I have 2 separate wires in one line on my uppers as a retainer.

I'm not 100% happy. My laterals are definitely not symmetrical. My dentist even pointed out that one lateral was flared out. I just said I was done with complaining to my orthodontist. I am now having my dentist add length with bonding to my laterals and to one of my central incisors. My ortho contoured quite a few teeth to make them look more straight. I am regretting that because he did them while I was still in braces. Now that my teeth have settled one of my centrals is shorter from the contouring. My left canine, which was 1mm longer naturally before, is now no longer sharp but rounded off and shorter than the right. Basically my teeth are all different lengths when they never were prior to braces. He didn't do a good job contouring one of my lower laterals either. I must warn people in brackets to wait until treatment is done, and braces are off before having any contouring done at all. They are orthodontists and not cosmetic dentists so they don't seem to have an eye for shaping teeth, just making sure they're straight in the xrays. If cosmetic bonding don't last forever I may need to turn to veneers. I don't want to because my teeth are perfectly healthy but I am unhappy with the over shaving and poor shaping that's come about with braces. Sometimes I really miss my old smile. My goal with braces was just to bring in one tooth because I was perfectly happy with everything else about my smile. I get obsessed and a bit depressed. I know I'm just being a total loser for it but I miss my old teeth and how I smiled with them. Maybe it'll take time to get used to not having an overbite. I really hope the bonding will help.

3 months post braces

Was it worth it? For me personally I am going to say no. For others with major malocclusion braces are a great thing and absolutely necessary. Pre braces I had a little crowding in my lowers and just one upper lateral incisor that bothered me a slight bit. In hind sight I should have gotten Invisalign because it doesn't correct overjets to the point that brackets do. I miss my overbite!!! It gave my lips an anchor to smile with and made me look younger. Now when I look at pictures with my new smile I HATE it!!! My lips look sunken in and my teeth no longer show as much. I also do feel I look older because of it. So my advice to those with good teeth who need a little tweaking, go with invisalign!! Orthodontists are so big on that "NORMAL" 1mm overjet that they pull in your uppers to equal that measurement. For me, it doesn't work well. They couldn't even get my teeth to that 1mm anyway. It is a very unique thing. I don't think 1mm is the ideal for everyone. I would've been happy with a 3mm overjet if it meant I could still smile the way I used to.

Another thing with braces is that you notice every single flaw with the shape of every individual tooth. I had to get some cosmetic bonding to improve the shape of some teeth after some over zealous contouring by my orthodontist. I know I am being way to over critical, but I miss my old smile. Too bad there isn't a way to pull my uppers back out to give me back my youthful smile.

Cosmetic bonding to lengthen upper incisors

Dr. Ecklers & Black, Smile Solutions

There have been times I felt the wait was long, but I know it was no fault of their own. Clinics run behind when patients show up late or they become short staffed due to illness. But there have been occassions where I've felt rushed so that they could get through their patients without running further behind on schedule. I chose this provider due to the good feedback on Google from former patients.

Your teeth look perfect now! Great results.
I have a pretty serious overbite and 2 orthodontists are recommending surgery as the best option. You look like you got great results just from braces. Did they use any kind of special springs?
Oh wow! They only used elastics to pull back my bite. Of course it is best to avoid surgery but definitely get another opinion.
damn your teeth are white... did you get them whitened? or is it your daily oral care... which would be ??? i'd love to know
My teeth are actually yellow. The flash from my camera is deceiving. I did, however, have SpaDent whitening done at my dentist. Of course with my love of coffee and tea they won't ever be as white as I want them. I also tried Crest 2 hour whitening a few weeks ago and totally messed that up by drinking coffee the next morning rendering my teeth more yellow than ever!! I think the only way for permanent white teeth is porcelain veneers. LOL!
there's a way to go SMILEback... but that would mean you wasted your money..... dont wear your retainers.... is one way :( i think your smile is fab... my ortho... i picked another one in brampton.. said i wasn't a candidate for invisalign... i didn't want it actually.... i've heard some people do half braces and half invisalign... maybe that would have been a good option for you....
Haha!! I have a bonded retainer on the top teeth and haven't worn my removable retainer in hopes that my teeth would shift forward. They haven't budged. LOL!! I will just have to live with it.
im from the same city. Just the cost alone from your dentist is making me think really hard. I think your smile looks great... but i guess it's how you see it and feel it and after paying all that money you should be satisfied. Thanks for posting.
Wow, it looks like you are going through a lot with the removal. It's so difficult to project exactly how you want your teeth to be. I hope you eventually get what you want.
Your teeth look fabulous:)
Which braces have your orthodontics used.
He just used regular metal and ceramic brackets. He also treats patients with Invisalign as well with good results.

First of all, let me say that I am so happy to have found this foorum...Here is my delima.. I am 50 yrs old, and I guess I am getting vain in my old age :-) I had a consultation with an ortho, not quite sure if I was going to get braces or go the veneers route. Once I was told how much veneers would cost (22,000,00) I almost chocked! I do not have dental coverage, therfore must pay out of pocket 100% I am leaning towards the braces route, and I have done some research comparing ceramic braces...invisiline......still not sure what route to go... I have read on a few different sites the negatives if I chose to do the inviline way.. Guess I am leaning to do the traditional metal on bottom, and get clear ones for the top..... Is there anyone on this forum from Ontario, Canada?? Any recommendations....can u help me figure out what way to go... p s havin the look of metal in mouth doesn;t bother me....or at least I say that now!! thanks a bunch to all, and pls keep up the posts :-)

I'm in Ontario. It is a preference and if metal brackets are for you it will provide you a better end result. Invisalign may or may not be a good outcome in the end so don't think they're going to give you the same results. It varies with each case. My husband did not want brackets, period. So he opted for invisalign to fix his crowded teeth. The ortho said he had a very rare perfect case that turned out better than they had expected. As for me, I had a 5mm over bite and Invisalign does not fix that as well as brackets. The elastics during the course of treatment pull teeth back (or forward or sideways) until they think they're OK and no longer need any pulling. I would get some consults with different orthos in your city. Good luck!! I hope you get what you're looking for. It is never too late to fix your smile and feel beautiful!!
You are never too old to have braces. Do it for you. I am late... late.... 40's and I got ceramic. Any are fine. You still have a long life ahead and 50 is the new 30:)

I am 47 years old and just got a full set of ceramics. I did a ton of research ahead of time and made the decision in partnership with my ortho. I also got two consultations to be more confident I was making the right choice. I wasn't confident with the first at all and it was really impacting my decision. Once I had the second consultation with a different ortho, I LOVED her and got the braces on within a week. I'm happy to talk about my experience researching and getting braces as a 47 year old woman.

Woohoo for a scheduled deband day!! That is so exciting!!

I'm glad to hear you are getting bonded retainers if your teeth tend to shift open.

Just a few more weeks!! :)

I really like the colored bands. They give character to individual braces.
LOL!! Yeah I liked to switch from clear to colored depending on what was happening within the two months I had them on. Problem with clear or frost colored ones are that they stain like nobody's business. Nasty!! Can't wait to get them off to do some whitening!

Absolutely love the pictures you added! It really helps to see what the different stages look like. Your lavender lig. ties were very cute! :)

Wow I love the last photo you posted. Your teeth look fabulous.
Thank you!! Although I won't be 100% happy with them when they come off. I know it. I, like you, am very picky. I keep nit picking every angle my teeth sit every night in front of the mirror. I will want some cosmetic bonding to lengthen my right side incisor on top. I've also been thinking hard about porcelain veneers to lengthen the four front teeth. I've been following your review and after seeing your pictures I can see where invisalign never fixed certain teeth. Your tooth shapes are beautiful though!! Don't worry, in time you should see progress. Just get them to keep tweaking til you're happy!!

Good job wearing your elastics! You bite came down a ton. It isn't easy to commit to wearing them - well done! I can see the tiny bit that your midline is off (thanks for uploading such great pictures btw), but I sincerely doubt that would be noticeable to people not staring at your teeth & looking for it.

Has your orthodontist given you an estimated de-band date yet?

They may come off by next visit beginning of January if I am truly happy with them. If I am not quite satisfied they'll probably tweak some more and perhaps by February 2013. I should've taken monthly photos to see the progress. They were kind of scary during the first 6 months due to new gaps forming.

Oh yeah, sometimes things definitely get worse before they get better. It can be hard to watch that and not get all worried that things are going awry. BUT...you are almost done!! Its great that you are open to keeping them on into Feb. if needed. I'll be crossing my fingers that they look amazing come January and that extra month won't be needed though. :)