Large, Black, Dense Lizard on Upper Arm Removal with Picosure - Melbourne, AU

Hi all. I'm Katie, I'm 38 and have a 10 year old...

Hi all. I'm Katie, I'm 38 and have a 10 year old professionally done lizard on my left upper arm. I used to love my gecko but as I became a mother I just thought, wow, you idiot! I am in a completely different place in life and what I once loved is now covered up whenever I'm in public, even during the Australian summer.

So I've been travelling toward removal for around 2 years, and I have put it off a couple of times wanting to enjoy the sun and other lame excuses. Then I heard about Picosure and was so glad I waited, I'm sure it's meant to be.

I had my first treatment on Tuesday 28/01/14 at Laser Dermatology in Box Hill in Melbourne. I had local injections all over the site on the recommendation of the technician and RN, Jude. Thank God cos it bloody we'll hurt even with the lidocaine! There were bits it really hurt around the back of my arm and the top of my shoulder, around the bone OUCH!!

So Tuesday arvo and evening were painful, I'd describe the feeling like someone had taken a blowtorch to it. I slept ok, but I'd taken some codeine/ibuprofen before bed. I took the dressing off on Wednesday morning and was greeted by swelling, big blisters and some bruising. But I also saw some lovely bits of shattered lines!! On the points of the gecko feet and around the tail there were sharp lines and sharp points, these are gone!!

Two days post I have a few more blisters, still swollen and bruised but something exciting when I went to change dressing. I peeled off the bandage and it was stained with greenie coloured ink, not heaps but enough to make me feel happy and positive.

My next treatment is on March 25th, two months between as they recommend. Will keep you all posted as to my healing progress. I am very positive that I will be ink free in the not TOO distant future. Thank-you all for your posts and progress reports, it is lovely to read of all of your journeys.

Great to see this post starting nxt week on large stomach tatoo removal , it's 2 tatoos coverd up so hoping won't be to much scar tissue I'm so nervous but can't look at it anymore first tatoo 12 years old and new cover up 2 years old will be watching your posts won't share my pics yet
Hi Hatemytattoo. I'm sorry I didn't see your post earlier, I didn't get a notification for some reason? Removal is such a personal journey and we all have our unique reasons for wanting the ink out of our skins. I think it can be hard to put up photos when we hate that ink and that's cool. What type of laser will you be treated with? I will update my review and put up some photos of my healing later today, it's been a week for me since my first treatment. Good luck with your treatment and keep us updated :)
Hi thanks for reply I was online all night making sure Making right decision my tummy after having 2 kids has it's war wounds but this tatoo is a diaster it's as big as my whole open hand so hoping to get some results goes around my bellybutton and out !! I'm in Southern Ireland so choices are limited found a clinic I trust using Candela AlexTriVantage!!

9 days post, I see fading!!!

So it's been 9 days since my first removal with the picosure laser. It took around 4 days for the swelling and blisters to subside. I think the swelling is the worst part, it makes your arm feel like it's going to drop off. Well it's now completely calmed down, the swelling is gone and the blisters have drained. When the blisters dry out a really charming scab forms on the tattoo which makes it look really dark, that is now flaking and peeling off. Now the exciting part is that I can see the ink showing through and it is faded!! Yahoo!!! I'm really looking forward to the rest of the scab flaking off so I can see just how much it's faded. It's still a little bit sore, just to touch and obviously very itchy. Trying not to scratch can be an exercise in mind over matter, I just keep slathering on the cream. Anyway I'll attach some photos and you can see for yourselves how it's coming along.

Oh the itch...oh yes.... my tattoo is on my back and it's big...I wished I had a tree in my house to rub my back against like a bear! The itch is a good thing...you are healing :)

Seeing great fading

Just a quick one. It's 10 days post first picosure treatment and I'm peeling as I posted yesterday. Just wanted to say that heaps more skin has flaked off lastnight and I'm seeing amazing fading!!! Here's a photo. I hope you're all going well with your treatments and healing. Stay positive :) K

Hey there, just checking in to see how things are coming along?
The fading is awesome. I've heard it'll continue to fade with time.
Thank-you so much Kahelelani, I'm thrilled with the results so far especially only 10 days after the treatment. I look forward to seeing it in 2 months time :)

Second treatment yesterday

Hi everyone, I've been quiet lately as life goes on and there's not always anything to write. I have continued to see some nice fading but only in spots. My husband thinks it's coming along a treat, although I am sceptical.

Anyway, yesterday the 25th of March was my scheduled 2nd treatment. I was of course nervous about it because now I know the drill and the healing time and the blisters!! I was interested to hear that the Picosure is already having an upgrade, due in April sometime. Apparently it's going to make it even more effective on black, blue and green ink. Jude my nurse says they are seeing amazing results on green tatts, so maybe worth considering if you have one. Another interesting thing- they have started trialling a different approach. Basically they hit black tattoos with the Yag and then hit it with the Pico. The plastic surgeon who owns the clinic came in for a consult and said that I was a good candidate as my ink is so dense. Apparently the Yag breaks it up into big pieces and the pico then shatters that into tiny pieces? I don't know but I thought why not? They chose the left hand bottom leg of the lizard to trial, she blasted it which took about 3 seconds then she began with the pico at the top of the tail. By the time she got to the yag treated area it was ready to be blasted again. Basically they're saying that if we see some great fading on the left lizard foot, better fading than the rest of the tatt, that's the approach they'll use all over- Yag then Pico.

Well that little leg was very red and raised yesterday evening and very sore today. I have the usual bruising, raising and redness all over but interestingly no blistering. Now when I was speaking to the Doc he said that they're not really sure whether the blistering is a blessing or a curse. I was quick to point out that the areas of my tatt that had blistered were a lot more faded than the areas that hadn't. They seem to be of the view that the blistering can be the difference between scarring or not...hmmm...I'm wondering why I blistered the first time and not now? Maybe Jude is getting better at it? She increased the spot size but also amped up the wattage by .25%. I'm just unsure.

Anyway, I'll add some photos later when I change the dressing. I hope you're all going along ok and remaining positive on your journeys.

Katie

I also have more ink removal in the spots where there were little blisters.
My two treatments were worlds different. No pain after the first but lots of scabbing. Lots of pain after the second but absolutely zero blistering or scabbing. It also took a really long time to see fading after my second treatment.
Hi there JuliusX Thanks for your comment. I'm really in that same space although I must say that after the first treatment I was in a world of pain for about 3 days with the huge blisters you can see in my photos. This time I'm sure I'm not going to blister now as it's been 4 days, however the entire site is bloody sore although it's just this afternoon starting to get that inkling of an itch. Funny though as there is no scabbing at all?? I think I see more areas of fading though. I'll put up some photos in a tic, although I'm struggling with the right lighting to show the results. I suppose though after only 2 treatments the results are fairly good. I remain positive :) how many treatments have you had?

4 days post, no blisters no scabs??

Hi guys, I'm 4 days post second Pico now and this time no blisters or scabs. It's still bloody sore and tender although it didn't swell anything like the first time. I've just started feeling a bit itchy this arvo. I haven't had to dress it past day 2 as there seems to be no reason to. I have continued with the lanolin based ointment mostly because it feels so soothing just to gently smooth it on! I'll put up some photos now too as promised but the quality isn't great as I can't figure out the right light to show the fading. I hope you're all doing well :) Katie

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Photos post 2nd treatment

Hi Katie wowh the second pics look brill great results ! I'm still waiting for laser to be fixed 4 cancelled apt now and supposed to be back this week was thinking moving clinics and laser but don't want to sign a disclaimer as only had one treatment done on half of mine so annoyed ned this gone
Katie, are you going for full removal? I'm very interested in following your journey as I also have a black upper-arm tattoo. I wish you the best...amazing results so far!
Hi Luzoscura, thanks for reading my story. Yes I am going for full removal. I am so over my tatt, we've had 11 good years but now it's time for nude skin. I am seriously sold on pico, it is giving remarkable fading after 2 sessions. The spot I had yag plus pico is sooo faded compared to the rest so I am positive I'll have complete removal in tops 2 years. Are you going for complete removal? Would love to read your story :) K
Jude at Laser Dermatology

Jude was awesome, a registered nurse with almost 20 years experience with the laser. A lovely lady with a great manner and sense of humour.