Things I Wish I Knew...things I Forgot

I had Botox injections 8 or so years ago and did...

I had Botox injections 8 or so years ago and did not like the way I felt after I had it done. I felt dizzy immediately after and I felt anxious for days. The most disappointing thing that happened was that my sinuses became irritated, making me feel like I had a head cold for three months until it wore off. I suffered through and swore I would never do it again. But as time wore on, I forgot. I thought maybe I got "over Botoxed".

Having had my frown lines, forehead, crows feet all done at the same time. So I investigated Juvaderm this time around and felt confident enough to go in to a different doctor to have this filler fill in a few scars around my chin and maybe relax the frown lines. While I was there my doctor convinced me I should get "just a little Botox". Alright... I agreed. Big mistake! It has now been six weeks and besides a little bruising at the Juviderm injection areas... the Juviderm I feel happy with, but not with the Botox areas.

The receptionist reminded me that the Juviderm is put just under the skin where as the Botox is injected into the muscle, making the injection hurt more. Ah ha... this was something I had not considered. Immediately it felt like a house was on top of my head. Pressure in my nose and sinus area still persist today. I have headaches, before I rarely had a head ache.

My neck hurts, my sinuses fill up and my nose is plugged and then it empties and I can breath. If I try and raise my eyebrows it tugs on everything, nose, eyes. My eyes feel dry... like there is sand in them. My eyelids droop... to the point where I need to use two hands to curl my eyelashes now (lift and curl). This has all caused quite a bit of anxiety, which doesn't make it any better.

Now...let me add this note: I look fabulous :-) And I figure it is my summer to wear head bands and show off my fore head because it is the last summer it will look like this. But Girlfriends I promise you... it is better to feel good then to look good. This is just my story and just something to consider before you go under the needle...

I got Botox injected on my "11's" about 8 weeks ago (between my brows) and have had a terrible reaction to it via my sinuses. They completely swell shut and I cannot breathe through my nose at all. I have never had anything like this before and am convinced and sure that it is a reaction to botox, which is a shame, because I love the look. But I like breathing better ; )
Try taking Vitamin D3. I have been taking between 6000 and 9000 units per day in the last 3 years, and I am totally able to have Botox again after experiencing all the things you describe. The dose may sound high, but it's not if you do research. I have a personal theory that Botox causes the immune system to mount a strong response in some people, and that's what causes everything you describe. Vitamin D3 seriously damps down inflammation (immune system response) in the body... works for me. I'd rather have the Botox and look younger! Whatever you do... don't go the road I went down which involved a few years of anti-depressants, anxiety meds, sleeping pills... none of which was needed. Just D3 for me. Hope this helps.
Crap. I needed to confirm it this time and I have confirmed it. It is 100% definitely the botox. I'm 39, male, have done it for about 3 years and since I am generally a somewhat type-A personality I attributed the extreme brain fog, dizziness, thick head, heavy fatigue, disorientation, and feeling like I'm a zombie living on autopilot and instinct, all of which arose occasionally, to stress or other symptoms. I've had multiple blood tests, comprehensive ENT checks, brain MRI, heart checks, blood pressure checks, and they all came out basically fine (very slightly high BP, but not needing medication). The psychiatrist I saw about 2 years back said, "you have a great deal of anxiety" and wanted to put me on pills, take your pick. I declined. These mood swings made me doubt myself, hurt my relationships, made me fear my future. If only I'd figured out earlier it was the botox the last couple of years of my life, and this year, could have been so much brighter.

I've received Allergan, but this time I went with a Korean brand since it's a third of the price (received in Asia, by the way) and the doc said it wasn't as strong. I didn't want a full freeze anyhow, just take the edge off my tired face and tense expression. I usually do the frown lines, crows feet, and forehead (and it usually looks great, by the way), and instead of all at once I decided to break it up to test it. So I just did the crows feet first. Two weeks later I didn't feel much different so I figured hey, maybe it's not the botox, cool, I can keep doing it. Although now I think about it, I had a dizzy spell around Day 14, got bad chills and anxiety on Day 15, and at about Day 17 I started getting heavy, dry eyes and felt very tired. But I was coming off a heavy amount of work and low sleep, so I chalked it up to that. At any rate, on about Day 20 I went back and got the frown lines and forehead. The doc said that usually if people have problems with botox it's because of droopy eyes so he said he would only do the upper forehead lines. I've never had a droopy eye problem, but at least he admitted there are some side effects, so good enough. Fine, better than nothing.

Very next day (yesterday) - SHOONK! I woke up and again felt very tired but dragged myself out to meet friends, but during the day walking around a mall it hit me - that feeling was back, I was up in the clouds. I had to focus intently on what I was doing, the everything became more intense and I immediately felt more irritable, and scared. I had a two drinks in the evening and I was wiped. I had to focus to not miss my train station on the ride back. But, I told myself, I've been through this. The crap thing is, I know I'm in for at least a two-month ride. There goes the nicest months of the year, even if I do look good.

I'm lucky because I work at home and don't have kids so I can rely on myself, but the panic attacks and paranoia that are sure to follow, and just generally feeling nasty about life and knowing I have to count off all these days is killing me. I'll get through this. I think I'll start a public diary. But yuck! Definitely, without a doubt, no more botox for me.

For those who are suffering, I can say from my more recent experience, when I got injected forehead, frown, crows feet in late-December I was about 80% better by late-March and pretty much fine by mid-April, which is also when my lines were coming back. Three months or so. It was most intense around Day 14 until two months. January and February were lousy and I was so cold everyday, not just because of the weather. Perhaps it was late-Feb. or early March the attacks didn't hit me quite so often, rather they came and went throughout the day. But I didn't have one solid good day until April. Just doing one thing I was not too bad, but in busy areas (like markets, cafes, malls) it was crap. Best time was usually in my dark living room at night. I stopped alcohol just about entirely for a month because I'd get drunk off one single drink. I had to reserve my energy. So staying off alcohol is certainly my advice. Earplugs and sunglasses also seemed to help since noises and light affected me more strongly. Moving along was not so bad and the night was not so bad, but bright places and quick noises were the worst and set my head spinning. Some of my symptoms seemed like those of an inner-ear infection, but three different ENTs said they didn't find anything unusual, and all insinuated I should relax more.

But come April I was pretty clear and I could drink alcohol again without getting tanked on one glass and the earplugs no longer made a difference so I stopped using them.

In my case, yes it passed. And I keep telling myself yes it will pass this time; it's passed before, though it seems to get worse each time so I may be in for a tough ride. I also hope this Korean stuff is weaker and leaves my system earlier. And then never never again (which makes me miserable to think about as I near 40, but I'll have to find another solution).
Wow I know this is an old post ... But how are you?? This is me - exactly !!
My personal opinion is that it's a bad idea to take any antidepressants, or medications for anything for that matter. This is from my experience of it taking 15 years to properly and slowly wean myself off them, and get my body back into balance. Bad, bad idea. But I'm not a doctor.
Just got botox five days ago for assymetry in smile from bells palsy. I am so sick, nausea, diarrhea and headache. My ears feel like they are ringing and full of air. I am having horrible anxiety and panic attacks. Cant sleeo. Just started taking lexapro. Does it help??

Hi There!
So happy to have found this site. This is probably my 6th time being injected with only 10 units of botox and I am just now realizing the link between how I'm feeling and botox. The very same night after my injection I had extreme panic attack, sinus trouble, numbness through out my body and trembling (almost like having chills when you're sick with the flu). It has been about 6 weeks and I'm still having bad anxiety, brain fog and just a sense of not feeling completely "normal" and back to my old self. I am so frustrated and cannot wait for these symptoms to be gone. Does anyone have any insight on how long this will last? I'm feeling so hopeless that this is going to go on forever and I will never feel better :(
Thanks!

I also experienced similar health problems as all of you (flu like symptoms, insomnia, anxiety, depression, feeling of not getting enough air, skin rashes, dry eyes) as well as cheek ptosis, new wrinkles and sagging eyelids etc. Botox is an extremely harmful poison and should be removed from the market. Eight and a half months after having the injections, I still have a skin rash on my face, sagging upper eyelids (but they are looking a bit better)and strange puckering of skin by my crows feet area. I'm now on a detox programme in order to get this crap stuff out of my body.
Uncool,

Just curious how you are today--are you better? I'm still suffering from most of your symptoms 6 1/2 months later. Did your detox program work?

Thanks,

Susan
Did it ever get out of your system uncool?
Its been 2 1/2 months and although the anxiety seems to have subsided, I'm still left with a wierd/dizzish feeling and fatigue. Its not all day, but seems to keep coming back. Has anyone experienced this and did it go away altogether with time? I just hope that it will eventually go away with the effects of Botox.

tamm0449: yes, someone did post the question about buying Botox on the Internet (here). It's only fair that you represent this by also saying that doctor's have legitimate concerns about buying any injectable drug on the web, let alone Botox.

Dr. Michael Persky's response captures the essence of the reaction of other doctors:

"I am seldom left speechless, but I now am left without words to describe what I just watched at discountmedspa.com.

The self injection "instruction" video along with the $149 per 100 units of "Botoxin" makes me think that maybe I haven't "seen and heard it all". I cannot believe that this site and business is operating in the face of the diasters that have resulted from "bogus" botulinum toxin use. There will be problems.

People who use this product will be playing "Russian Roulette", not knowing what they are getting, and "asking for trouble". I guess coming soon with be the do it yourself rhinoplasty. I would strongly advise people to stay away from these products.

Dr. P"

Someone wrote about www.{EDITED} com Yes, they do sell Freeze (which has the same ingredients as Botox). The price for 100 units and the Saline solution with two needles is $149.00. This is Botulinum toxin type A which is just what Botox is. They also sell fillers that give you the same results as Juvaderm (Vitalift), Sculptra (Vitalift Ultra Plus) and Restylin that acts like Restalayne. These products are a fraction of the cost that you have to pay a Plastic Surgeon. I have used all of them and haven't had a problem with any of them except when I injected my lips with the Vitalift Ultra Plus and injected too much. My lips were very large and I massaged them for two whole days until I massaged them down to where I was happy with them. To keep from feeling the prick of the needle you need to purchase the Emla cream which is Lidocaine 2.5%,Prilocaine 2.5%. This will leave your face totally numb for about one hour while you inject yourself. Visit www.discountmedspa.com to read reviews and about the products. I really liked my Plastic Surgeon but couldn't afford his costs so I had to turn to Laurie for my treatments. I know some of you won't agree with me but Laurie is a God send to us housewives that can't afford to go to a Plastic Surgeon every three months or pay to have filler put in our lips. Just visit her site and see what you think.

I'm 47 and I started thinking that even with the expense Botox would make me feel better about myself. Thank Goodness I found this site. I have chronic severe depression and I'm dysmorphic (my area of focus is my face)also I have begun to get allergies and skin rashes more easily lately. Had I gotten a treatment that brought on anxiety, depression, or a bad result (dysmorphia severly affects your perception of your appearance)it could've had a disastrous effect on me- even my cats may not have been enough to keep me tethered to this earth. Docs don't tell about side effects- lots of them believe in 'the power of persuasion'; they cover their butts and the butts of their colleages, and of course there's the universal bottom line: PROFIT. There's no way I can do Botox now. One part of me thinks 'oh these are rare' but the fact is there is the balance of mental/physical health is too delicate for me to risk. Feeling good enough to go in public, having enough energy to move around and accomplish something like laundry or whatever, is a truly fragile accomplishment, for me. These honest comments you took the time to post have really influenced my decision and more than likely averted disaster for me. I don't think I'd have heard about any of this at the Drs office. Wow. Thank You.
I will look for the study info from Italy. I have really tried to figure out, as this nightmare goes on, what is happening. The different phases. Right now the worst time is when I work, or socialize. Both instances I am having to listen, think ,pay attention, so on. when I am walking in a mall, moving around, doing mindless tasks it is not as bad. I thought it had to do with the area between my brows that are still somewhat frozen. I alwyas had deep lines here and notice when I "think" this area can not move so my eyes start to close. this is so crazy. I think the more expressive a person's face the more difficult.
My girlfriend has no problems putting 40 units in her head, I don't why so many don't and others do, but the FDA is making so much money, they don't care. Study in Italy finds it crosses over brain stem, I wonder if u did not put it directly in your frontal lobe, if there would be same problems? Hang in there!
I am noticing all of the comments that say the doctor reports not knowing or seeing this result before. I am considering a law suit as this comment caused me try and seek out an answer for why my eyes were not working. I am a therpapist in private practice so i was freaking out and saw so many specialists, ct scans MRI and believe it or not more botox by a neuro-opothomaolgists who thought i had a blepho spasm. Had i been told by the dermatologist that this was a side effect and to wait it out it would be over. Now i have to wait out the medical botox given in my eyelid and all around my eye, 8units. I am so angry and feel so violated.I wish I had found this website in the beginning.
Great information... thank you for taking the time to document it over the last few years. I am passing this on to friends. I have no doubt that the increase in anti-anxiety meds are attributed to this, but so many do not want to admit, even to their Doctors, that they have had Botox injections.
Thank you for the information. I'm so glad you are feeling better now :)
It took me 6 years of getting Botox to realize that every time within 12 hours, I experienced sudden and severe insomnia, extreme anxiety, panic attacks, and a rapid slide into depression. I have always been very even keel, not terribly moody, and sleep like a champ, so the difference is drastic and obvious, and certainly not psychological. Suspecting the connection, I began to keep "mood charts" over the last 2 years, documenting what happened to me after having Botox. The link is absolute and very clear -- it's the Botox that is causing the problems. If you search message boards, MANY other people have experienced exactly the same thing. Doctors and Clinicians deny such "side effects" are common, even real, and yet they are being widely reported all over the internet. The problem is, because we do not expect such a response to Botox, we do not directly connect the reaction. It has quite devastated my life -- leading to a misdiagnosis from a Psychiatrist, and eventually taking 5 dangerous mind-altering medications to "treat" the misdiagnosis. Of course, my "mental illness" strangely went away every time the Botox wore off, but try explaining that to a Psychiatrist! Once I realized what was really going on, I weaned myself successfully off all medications working with a Naturopathic Doctor, and a Nutritional Psychiatrist (yes, they exist!) -- and of course I stopped having Botox. I think it will be years before the true effects of Botox become apparent. I wonder if there is any link between the drastic increase in RXs for sleeping pills, anti-anxiety meds and antidepressants in the last 10 years -- and the advent of Botox during the same period. It's hard to know -- because these side effects are not disclosed by the manufacturer of Botox -- so Doctors don't know to expect or look for them. They automatically dismiss them as probably psychological, when clearly they are not. I think the key problem is people probably don't realize Botox is doing this to them, because a) they don't expect it, and b) they want to focus on the positive outcome of Botox. Until more people speak up -- and file "adverse event" reports with the FDA as I did -- nothing will change. You can file an "adverse event" report here: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/medwatch/medwatch-online.htm

i have had botox 4 times. the 3rd time i had it i started getting very sick. i didn't put the puzzle together until after the 4th time. i went from having a very wonderful life, running 3 miles a day and happy as could be to.....severe anxiety, heart palpitations,heart fluttering, trouble breathing, depression, headaches and my whole body hurts every single day of my life now.my joints and muscles hurt terribly!! i just can't believe this has happened to me. i no longer run any more, i can barely walk!! and the doctors have run many tests on me and can't find anything wrong. i know it was the botox. i know my body better than anyone. now that i look back on the very first time i got botox, i can see where i eventually went down hill from the 3rd time. i suppose one day the doctors will say i have fibromialgia. that is what they call things that they can't figure out! i hope this doesn't happen to you. please think seriously before you have it done. god bless...

Wendifitz,

I have the same symptoms as you. When were your last injections? Mine were August 31st. Are you feeling any better? You may reach me at litlady at hotmail.

Thanks,

Susan
This is my 4th round of Botox and I'm not feeling well. I feel extremely tired and very anxious. Overall I just don't feel good. I hope this wears off soon because I've got enough going on to cause me to be depressed. My boyfriend is getting deployed to afganistan and I got the injections to look my best before he leaves. Unfortunately I feel so bad that I'm gonna have to fake it. I don't want to feel so sad and anxious right before he leaves. Is this botox related or just my situation? Who knows but I don't feel good at all :(
i did eye drops, cant say if it worked, the eye will remain dropped for only a month...sucks! Good luck...oh pot helps the anxiety, only pot, and I tried everything, xanax etc
I doubt that the eye drops are worth it. Lots of rest helped me the most. I hope that more people read these testimonials before trying botox.