Botox Caused One of my Eyelids to Droop

Well, it was pretty neat for about 24 hrs. as the...

Well, it was pretty neat for about 24 hrs. as the lines between my eyes were smoothed out. The 2nd day when I got up, my eyelid felt a little funny. I was having breakfast with my daughter and she noticed it looked a little strange. I didn't think much about it then. By that evening when I went out with my husband, my eye lid was drooping even more. Each day getting droopier. But the 4th day, it wouldn't open anymore - I had no control over it.

I was devastated and called the doctor who claimed he didn't know why. I was prescribed a medicine that is used for patients with glaucoma. (One of the side effects is that the eye's open wide) Well, it didn't work for me. I had to go to work every day but couldn't hold my eye open. So I devised a plan to tape my eye open with flesh colored tape like you would get in a doctor's office. I did this every morning for about 3 months. It was awful!

I lied to people about what happened to my eye. I was too embarrased to tell them I had Botox injections. But now I tell my story whenever I hear that someone is thinking about getting it. Can you say NIGHTMARE!!!!!

Deborah P Schwartz

I have had the eyelid droop x 2 now. I'm embarrassed. I should have known better. My dermatologist convinced me it would not happen again––b/c "I'll just give you 1/2 a dose." I trusted him. Now, my faith is lost. This time it seems worse, but my stress is increased. I'm moving within the next three weeks to a different state. Also, I'm changing jobs. My job requires a good deal of time at the computer. In addition, I must be focused and client oriented. As I write this, both my eyes are tired. The left lid is the one that droops, but the right eye is compensating for the left, so in the end--the results of today are a disaster. It's been a month since the 3 injections. One between my brows, and one each on the top edges of the inner brows. I've read the inner edges of the top brow are "danger zones." The injector should stay away from those areas. The eye drops are not helping like they did the last time. What can I say? I've learned my lesson. Nevermore.
I went to get a botox injection, the between my eye brown... within 48 hours my eye lid started to drop.. I feel so weird .
I have had the same horrible experience. My left eyelid looked a little droopy on the third day. Now I am into week two and I think it has gone from bad to worse. It is particularly bad in the afternoons. I read somewhere that this gets better in 2-3 weeks. But from looking at posts, it looks like this is not going away any time soon. OMG! I have a vacation planned as well as a family reunion soon. Ladies, please give me some tips on what I can do to make this better. I got some Alfagan drops. It cost an arm and a leg but did not do a darn thing for me. I want to get the iopidine drops, but dont want to waste another 200 dollars for nothing! HELP!!!
am still having droopy eye problems (4months) and was also told by doc he had no idea. this is appalling. i wear sunglasses all the time. I am so angry that the side effects were not disclosed by doctor. I can not believe how many stories sound like mine.it is great to have this support. only those that have experienced this kind of discomfort can fully understand.
thanks for the sound advice. I have noticed a slight improvement and lift in the eyelid. My gut feeling tells me it is not going to wear off and that yes I would probably have to wait it out until the botox wears off. although the doctor is not admitting 'guilt' she informed me that I should visit her so that she can see what she can do for me. I have last confidence in her. thanks for the wonderful website. I really do feel now that 'i am not alone' you are there for me. thank you.
I am sorry to say but you are probably going to have a droopy eyelid for three months. Once the skin and muscle is relaxed it will stay that way if you used Botox. The Doctor either injected too much or injected to close to your eye. I wouldn't blame it on myself, I would tend to think that you Doctor made a mistake and just doesn't want to admit it. The only answer is to wear sunglasses to hide it for three months until the effect goes away. I am sorry to hear about your trauma to your eye but the good news is time will heal it. Sincerely, tamm0449
been using botox for two years now. and finally also ended up with a left droopy eyelid. went to see opthalmologist who prescribed a steroid/anti biotic drop.but did not help. I can only think that this happened because i took the botox injection late in the afternoon and about an hour later went to sleep. is it possible that one of the reasons for the droopy eyelid could be because I did not stay up for about another 3 to 5 hours after the botox injuection. and how long before the droopiness and impaired vision disappears. my doctor who gave the botox injection says that the droopiness cannot be because of botox. which makes me wondor what she really knows about botox after reading all the stuff on your wonderful website which is rather comforting.
Jackie, I believe part of the reason your eyelid drooped is because you did lay down....I was told not to for 6 hours. Of course your Doctor did not take any responsibility which is still amazing to me! How many units did you get and where? My lid is almost back to normal as it took 6 weeks...Stay positive and wear tinted glasses so you are not asked a hundred questions by everyone you meet! Demand answers from your Doctor who injected you. Take care!
how did you use the tape to hold your lid up? do the effects to the lid or brow wear off quicker than then effects to the forehead?
the exact thing happened to me! within three days of my injections, my right eye looked and felt goofy, and it over the next 48 hours it completely closed and it has been 13 days now. i did it as a suprise for my husband returning from iraq. he has no idea about the bad results. we have a honeymoon to go on. this will make for a horrible home coming. i have had to broadcast that i had a bad botax experience. please, some out there tell me how long this will last? the dops dont work for me either.
Hang in there! It has been 4 weeks and my lid is finally lifting where I can hide it with makeup. You have to be patient as everyone has a different time frame...your eyelid will start lifting a little everyday, even though you don't notice any change! My lid dropped 5 days after the Botox injections. I believe it happened from the Doctor injecting over my brow...! Where did you have the injections? and how many units? Stay positive!!!
was your eye totally closed or just droopy? did you use drops or just wait for an imporovement? i am not certain the amount of units total, but i had my forhead (where i learned from research was hwere the botox 'migrated' from) and inbetween my brows. i had th ebotx injected on a thursday, felt a change within three days, and by Tuesday morning i was in my docs office crying...with one oncompletely closed. no change at all. i asked for a stronger eye drop, from .5% to 1%. thanks. so hard to be positive. i am so disturbed.

I am sorry you had such a bad experince with your botox.First of all if the Doctor you went to told you he is not sure why this happened you need to find a new Doctor.Second of all what happend is that he eitner used to much Botox in your forehead or near your eyebrow that caused the muscle to relaxe to much and that will cause the droopy eyelid.It will ware off but it could take 3 months.

Hi Deb, I am suffering with the same horrible droopy eyelid...I too have lied to people telling them I have a Stye. The drops are not working at all. I really give you credit for that great idea with the flesh colored tape even though I know how much you dreaded it! It has been 24 days.....I do not even see a slight difference which I am praying for everyday. My positive attitude is weakening and I am still hiding from the public as much as possible. I am tired of all my dark glasses and want to just throw them out already!! It will be hard for me to ever trust a "Botox" Doctor again.....This nightmare eyelid problem seems to be growing too rapidly with many of us.... I cannot believe it has taken you 3 months! Please tell me it is back to normal now...Thanks!
how is your droop now? How long did it take to get better? what, if anything did you do to make it heal sooner?
Hi Helen,
I had it done about 9 yrs. ago. It took a good 3 months to get back to 100%. It was a total nightmare and I tell everyone now who is thinking about getting it done what I went through. It's better to get the word out than to have them suffer. I know that I will NEVER EVER get it done again. Hang in there! It does get better.
The eyelid is completely ok now. But it took 3mons to get better.