Let the Rhinoplasty Journey Begin - Boston, MA

I have been planning on having a rhinoplasty since...

I have been planning on having a rhinoplasty since I was 14 years old. Now 10 years later I am finally financially secure enough to turn my dream into a reality. I HATE my nose!! Ofcourse all my friends and family tell me that I dont need one and that it is a waste of money but nothing is going to stop me!! I wanted to have my surgery scheduled for mid-january, but choosing a surgeon has been quite time consuming. I want to get rid of the LARGE dorsal hump, narrow my nasal bones, and basically just make my nose smaller and more proportional for my face.Im both nervous and excited. I cant wait to share my journey with all of you as well as hear your thoughts and stories!!!

Going In Circles. The last few weeks I have been...

Going In Circles.
The last few weeks I have been researching surgeons. I really want to find the best. BUT there are so many rhinoplasty specialists that claim to be the "Best Rhinoplasty Surgeon" in Massachusetts. When I think that I found "the one" I then find one bad patient review and I am instantly turned off from this surgeon. I am really really nervous that I will choose the wrong surgeon and that I will have effed up nose the rest of my life. I have enough money saved for a primary nose job, but what if something goes wrong and Ill need a revision nose job?? I dont have extra money....should I just wait til I have extra money saved for "worst case scenarios"?? I really want to get this done and asap. I am lost.
My parents arent thrilled with me getting this done. They have heard me talk about it since I was 14 (24 now) but I apparently they thought it was just a 10 year phase and I would get over it. When I told my Dad that I was going to a consultation he was like TIME OUT. He finally realized how serious I was about this surgery. He told me to hold off on the consultation until he talked to his Ears, Nose, and Throat Doctor (he has had bad sinus problems for ever and sees a specialist) He contacted his doctor to see what surgeon he reccomends for me. Well my dad got back to me today and his doctor said that Dr. Jeff Smith (Chelmsford, MA) or Dr Richard Glicklich (Mass Ears and Throat) were the best choices. I have never heard of these two surgeons while researching (and I have done alot of research) They werent on my top 3 surgeon list.
The first thing i did was google the doctors. Each had their own webpage but nothing on their websites were really dedicated to rhinoplastys. Also there were no pictures of previous cases which was scary bc honestly i have judged the sugeons on their previous case photos (how well i thought the noses were improved) as well as the number of case pictures they posted. (My thinking is that the more case photos the Surgeon posts on their website then the more rhinoplastys they have done) (idk if its true but what ever)
So now I am going in circles. Do I go with who my parents want or do I go with someone that wasnt reccomended by my Dads doctor????
My Top 3: (If anyone knows anything good or bad about these surgeons please let me know)
Dr. Bentkover (Worcester)
Dr. Fencher (Worcester)
Dr. Min S. Ahn (Westborough)

Hi. I don’t know much about the rhinoplasty but I know a lot of about Jeff Smith in Chelmsford. I just had a full tummy tuck done by him last week. I couldn’t be more pleased with him and his staff. He was the nicest man I have ever met and his office does a wonderful job in making you feel important without them constantly looking over your charts. They know whats going on. I described Dr Smith as an artist and not a surgeon because the work I have seen him do to myself and friends is beautiful. Please let me answer more question about him if needed.
I just had my revision rhinoplasty with Dr. Fechner and although I am only one day post-op, I can safely say that he is a phenomenal doctor and is very realistic in what can and cannot be done. The surgery was great and he and I shared the same vision for my nose. I had my original rhinoplasty with Dr. Bartlett in Brookline, btw.
Good luck with your rhinoplasty! You are beautiful and your improvement is going to be great:)

How exciting! IMHO mid-twenties is the best time to get your nose done. You're mature enough to realize what you're doing, but young enough to enjoy the results for decades and decades. (In case you can't tell, that's how old I was). My mom was supportive, but my dad wasn't too into the idea. I did it anyway and have NEVER regretted it for a single second.

You're smart to do your homework. Choosing a surgeon is your single most important decision.

Here's what some doctors say about choosing the right surgeon for you. And here's a list of questions to ask prospective surgeons.

Hey, I actually went in for a consultation with Dr. Min S. Ahn... He was very nice, and very professional, and had a beautiful office. Unfortunately, he did not share my vision for what I wanted done with my nose...and I got a bit irritated. Not his fault...but I have seen worse noses than mine come out looking better than the simulation he made me -_- I was horrified... Luckily I brought in simulations that I had made, that he liked, but still said he couldn't do..and basically couldn't do anything I wanted. So I left depressed, and I'm still searching for the right surgeon...coming to the conclusion I'm going to have to travel out of state. By the way, your nose doesn't look nearly as complicated as mine, so I honestly don't think you will have this problem. ahhah sorry for the ramble...feel free to message me if you have any questions.
I would highly recommend sticking with a facial plastic surgeon and not an ENT only specialist. Thank your Dad for taking the time to ask for you, and let him know that the surgery is very specialised and you want it to look right as well as be functional. Also thank him for his support. Go with you gut instinct and follow your own heart. All the best!!
Hey, I'm from the Boston area and just had my nose done 3 months ago. Your story sounds a lot like mine! I lived with my nose for 33 years and tried to accept it but just couldn't. I was also really nervous that I was going to choose the wrong Dr. and waste a ton of $. I went with Dr. Anna Petropolous who is a facial plastic surgeon and ENT. Dr. Bentkover would have easily been my 2nd choice. His portfolio is pretty impressive. However, I am beyond thrilled with my results (Dr. Petropolous has been performing rhinoplasties for 20 years) although she doesn't have a huge # of photos on her website. Whatever you decide to do, I would definately make sure the Dr. is a facial plastic surgeon and does a ton of rhinoplasties. Good luck!
Thank you so much I will look into her right away!! Congrats on your new nose I'm so happy for you!
I am going to dr William Austen at mass general for my consult Thursday. He is a top plastic surgeon and I know someone who has gone to him. I saw dr bentkover for a consult a couple years back but didn't vibe well with him!
Good luck on Thursday! Keep me posted!