Working well after two treatments

I've had one R20 treatment on my lower back tattoo...

I've had one R20 treatment on my lower back tattoo and one Picosure treatment. After the R20 treatment, I was sore and itchy for a few weeks, though I did not blister. I noticed significant fading of my all-black tattoo within a week. After one Picosure treatment, I've noticed absolutely no fading whatsoever. It's as if I never had the treatment. It hurt much less than R20, took less time, and was completely healed with no blistering within 3 days. The technician told me to be patient, but it's been nearly three weeks -- almost time for my next treatment. I can't help but feel that less pain and less time to heal means it didn't do anything to the ink. So far, it does not seem to be working at all. I'll consult with the technician next time about what to do, but am inclined to return to the R20, which seems much more reliable for me.

The jury is out after second treatment

My first Picosure treatment did absolutely nothing -- I had no fading, soreness, or color change whatsoever. I had my second treatment yesterday and the technician finally turned up the setting on the machine. I knew the setting was too low after the first treatment, and am glad she agreed. As a result, the tattoo and my skin look much different than after my first treatment. The tattoo is completely red where all of the black ink was. It's also sore and a little itchy, but very bearable. I have no bandage on it and it didn't bother me while sleeping. I'm hoping that this much more obvious reaction will translate to ink fading! I know that for the first treatment, the technician was trying to prevent scarring and wasn't sure how my body/ink would react, but I really feel that the setting was much too low. The second treatment didn't hurt more, but did take a little longer. I'll update in a few weeks, and hopefully I'll have some fading to report!

After eleven days, still no fading

My skin has been healed (no blistering, just soreness) for nearly a week and I'm seeing no fading of my tattoo at all. I understand that fading is usually noticeable by a week to two weeks after Picosure treatment. I'll give it some more time, but I did expect to see a better result at this stage of the process.

Finally, some fading

It took nearly three weeks, but I finally started to notice fading after my second Picosure treatment. It's been pretty significant, but I think the setting on the machine could still be a little higher. The first treatment was a complete wash -- I can't imagine a setting that low would work for anybody. I'll try to find out the setting that was used for my second treatment and update when I find out.

Third treatment

I had my third treatment yesterday and got the same red reaction that, to me, says the setting was high enough. According to the technician, the first setting was at 3.0, the second at 2.8 (the lower the number the greater the strength of the laser). She also said that 3.0, while low, works well on a lot of people, so it may just be hit or miss for the first treatment. Yesterday's treatment was even stronger, so I'm hoping I'll need only one more in a month or so. Looking forward to tattoo-free skin!
Tataway

It's been awhile, any update for us?
Hello! Did you really notice the fading only after several weeks. I am on day 3 and of course freaking out that I am not seeing fading.
Hey, how did the treatment go? Are you tattoo free now?
Hi, can you please share a photo of your tattoo before you started the treatment? Thanks
Wow, your skin looks great for your third treatment. No scarring, hyper or hypo pigmenting.
Thanks! I haven't had a single blister or scab, and I'm sure that helps. The treatment has also been on the conservative side, which I'm glad for now that the tattoo is almost gone.
When you say conservative do you mean that the laser has been less intense? or like, you waited longer in between treatments? My main concern is scarring and/or pigmentation and I would rather wait longer if it mean no chances of those happening.
I mean conservative in terms of the laser setting. The first time the setting was at 3.0 and didn't work at all. The second time they increased the power just enough to work but not to cause damage to my skin. It could be just my skin too, and the location on my body ( lower back). I'm sure everyone reacts differently. I also waited almost two months between treatments because I was still seeing fading, which took three weeks to kick in after treatment two. How is your treatment working?
ahhh, I see. I am glad you posted because I was just writing about my first treatment and how I saw no changes! I was very upset about this. I had my second treatment yesterday; I waited six weeks in between. I saw no reddness or blistering after my first but my second turned red and blistered immediately so I am hoping to see significant results after this one. As I metioned I was quite depressed to see how little it changed during the first treatment. I scheduled my third for exactly four weeks from yesterday so I hope thats not too soon. I bought a plane ticket so I cannot push it without paying a lot of money to push the flight. the first time the nurse told me to come back in four weeks becasue my skin will be used to the laser but yesterday she said to wait six weeks so that it fades more so I don't know what to do. =/
I'm sure you'll see fading after your most recent treatment. The redness was a definite sign for me that the setting was high enough. I was very surprised to see so much fading from my second treatment, especially after the first was such a complete wash. Hopefully you'll have the same experience! Keep us updated!
Hey how have you been?? Have you had another treatment?
I'm overdue for another treatment but haven't had one yet -- hopefully in the next few weeks. The longer I wait, the more fading I notice. My tattoo really has faded a lot since the second treatment. The key seems to be the setting! I'll update as soon as I start seeing results from treatment #3. How about you? Have you had another session? How's it going?
Hii yes I had my second treatment today and I'm so excited because I think this time I will see results. I believe he did turn up the setting because I blistered a lot this time, which is indicating that it has responded well. I tried to update my review but am having difficulties...I'm going to try again tomorrow so you can see some pictures. Do you have any pictures? I agree with you tho..the longer you wait is key to have your body fully respond to get rid of the ink. They told me 50 percent is the laser and the other 50 is up to your immune system. When you get your next treatment let me know how it goes, ttyl!
Yes please that would be awesome to know what kind of setting it should be at. When do you have your next treatment? You wait 6 week's?
Alright :)
Ok thanks a lot for the reassurance. Now I have hope that may be the problem, and I'll talk to my doctor about it next appointment.
Good luck! Let me know how it goes.
Hey thanks for sharing your experience. After my first treatment with picosure, I have not noticed much of a difference. I am now interested in trying r20 tattoo removal. Just curious if you are going to continue with picosure or r20? And have you had any results since your last post?
Hi ilovealexis, It's been three weeks since my last treatment and I'm just now starting to notice some real fading. It's enough that I'll probably continue with it, but I'm not as impressed as I expected to be. The first treatment was a complete waste of time and money -- the setting really has to be higher to have any effect at all. If you aren't bright red and sore (or even blistered) for at least a week afterward, I don't think the machine is turned up high enough. I'm going to ask them to increase the setting even more next time. You might want to try it again and tell them to increase the power.
Thats so odd that happened to you! My experience was totally different, my all black tattoo was treated at 3.5 for the first treatment, and it blistered like crazy and removed a ton of ink. Next time at 3.0 I had much less blistering, presumable since so much surface ink was hit on the first treatment. Planning on doing 2.5 next time.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Thanks, I'll check it out.
That's interesting - your most recent experience mimics my first experience. I was surprised that they did not recommend bandages and that it wasn;t too uncomfortable afterward. But I'm glad to know since I'll ask about the power when I go for my second treatment in August/Sept. Good luck!
Thank you! I can't imagine the first (too low) setting would work on anyone. Hopefully this time it will work. Let me know how your treatment goes!
I wonder why some respond differently? I'm going to give Picosure one more try and if I don't notice fading then I'll switch back to R20. Picosure seems a little too good to be true at this point - less pain during the treatment, almost zero healing time. I'm not sure how it can be working if I feel almost no soreness afterwards!