Rhinoplasty/Septoplasty 24 Year Old in Boston - Boston, MA

I finally took the plunge and decided to have my...

I finally took the plunge and decided to have my breathing fixed and some cosmetic work done at the same time. I have a severely deviated septum as well as a pointy bone fragment in my upper area of my nose from an injury. I have a very large hump and bulbous tip that goes to one side. I am having a septoplasty to correct the breathing issues and rhinoplasty to remove the bump and slightly reshape the tip. I have a very large nose and it is my prominent feature, so the work will be minor and still leave me with a large nose - just a prettier one!

I did this whole process pretty quickly. My first consultation was 1 month ago and now my surgery is this Thursday 6/20/13. I am admittedly VERY nervous, but reading through other's experiences on this site has been unbelievably helpful, so I figured I would share my journey as well. I am traveling to NYC until Wednesday night, so hopefully this will take my mind off things and prevent me from getting too worked up about the surgery.

Such a huge disappointment, so upset - 6 months

It is difficult for me to even write this because I am so totally upset with the results of my rhinoplasty-septoplasty. I patiently waited 6 months for to see the "final" results of my surgery and my nose now, while the profile is better, is horribly deformed looking and extremely crooked from the front with a large bump on the right side. It only seems to be getting worse with time.

Anyone dealing with a similar situation who would like to share their thoughts/feelings would be so great. I am feeling depressed and alone. My friends and family say my nose looks nice, but I am just so distraught over the fact that I traded my bulbous, uneven humped nose for a nice profile but an extremely crooked nose. I just feel hurt and disappointed and shocked this was even a possibility, my nose looks nothing like the photos I was shown.

On top of all of this I had an absolutely horrible recovery. I acquired a skin infection after 4 days and had to immediately have my cast removed. I was in excruciating pain and my doctor mistakenly prescribed Baclofen... and I am allergic to sulfa. Needless to say I suffered an allergic reaction before I was switched to another antibiotic. The whole experience was entirely miserable and was a huge mistake. I will deal with my new nose because there is no chance I can go through any of this again, I am just so disgusted I have to look at myself every day with a nose that, to me, looks deformed.

Am I being hypercritical of myself? Is it really as bad as I think it is. I just don't even know anymore.
Brookline Plastic Surgeon

Hi, I appreciate your update and your openness, and am so sorry that you are going through these tough times. I can relate to your feelings- it's hard not to have expectations and to be sad if the outcome is not what was expected. Hang in there!!! You are a beautiful girl, and while your new nose is not like the projected nose, it's not botched either. It may be that since you had the infection there is additional uneven swelling. Wait a year until your nose has healed, and then if you are still unhappy, consider a revision. Trust that one way or another it will get better!
I can't wait for your update! My nose is really bulbous like yours. I'm having my septo/rhino in late October. I also have a strong nose, which I'm not unhappy about at all...but like you said, I'd just like a prettier one! Best of luck!!!!
See my 6 month update above.
Thank you for posting! I wish you all the best in your recovery. I too am pretty nervous about my upcoming surgery to improve breathing and refine the bulbousness of my nose. It really does help to hear about others stories. You are already really beautiful! Do keep us updated.
See my 6 month update above.

Thank you so much for paying it forward and starting your story on RealSelf! I hope the NYC trip distracted you from your nervousness. And hopefully your anxiety will evolve into excitement!

Here's a list of supplies you might want to consider for recovery.

Please keep us posted!

Hey!! How was your surgery? It will be a week tomorrow since I had the same surgery. And today, my cast was removed! He did a closed rhino/septoplasty surgery and didn't touch the ball of my nose. I'm curious, after you had your splint/ cast removed, did you have bad swelling? My nose is much larger then it was before surgery and just curious how your swelling was, if you had any! Lmk, I'd appreciate it!! Thank you!!