Nervous Yet Excited About the Procedure... Boston, MA

So this is my story… I’m 33 years old and...

So this is my story… I’m 33 years old and finally getting the surgery I’ve always dreamed of getting. I have been dealing with a long labia minora for as long as I can remember. I met my ex-husband when we were freshmen’s in high school. . The first statement out of my ex’s mouth when he saw me for the first time was, “Wow your vagina is dark and big”. I was mortified but got over it quickly once we got comfortable with each other. We went off to College and married at the age of 24; I’m now 33 and recently divorced. I noticed it looked different at a young age but as I got older it got longer and more irritating.

I hated how it looked; it folded in during intercourse which made it so painful. I hated beach days because I was limited to only wearing shorts or bathing suits that were crochet. Textured fabrics use to hide the fact that my long labia separated my labia majora which looked like I had a small penis and sometimes a camel toe. Urinating is always a challenge because I never have a normal stream. I have several streams and it always goes backwards causing terrible rashes. I always have to tuck my labia back making it painful when I work out and also wear tight jeans. These are all things I’ve had to deal with because I was too embarrassed to tell someone about my problem.

I’m recently divorced and have decided to go through with the surgery, because I’m afraid of getting intimate with anyone. I have been researching this surgery since 2009 but was too ashamed to reveal this issue to anyone. Finally, last year at my yearly exam with my Gyno, I let it all out. She referred me to a specialist whom I feel very comfortable with already. I have my surgery scheduled for the beginning of July with an Urogynocologist in Boston. My medical insurance is paying for it because I was referred by my Gyno. I'm not sure how much my deductible is going to be or the total cost of surgery. I'm not going to worry about that, I just want to finally have this done. I’m excited but always nervous about going under General Anesthesia. I know there is a debate whether to have the trim or wedge procedure. I believe my doctor said she would trim off the excess tissue. I don’t have a preference because I have faith it will look and feel way better than now.

Hey there, checking in to see how your surgery went, would love an update :)
29 yr old mother of two I am three days post op and had the trim method with local and a nurse injector (basically twilight sleep) everything went great. I paid a total of $2600 in Virginia by going to a plastic surgeon. Even though I am black blue and purple I couldn't be more happy with what I can see so far! Good luck ladies!
Thank you. I'm starting to be less nervous, I just want to get it done and over with. Good luck with your recovery !
Good luck and thank you! Ice is your best friend and rest!!!
Best of luck to you! I was right where you are at now 6 months ago! It can be a crazy experience! But now I'm on day 6 of recovery from the wedge technique! Just posted my review. Very pleased! Let me know if you have any questions (:
Thank you ! I have a week to go I can't wait. Best of luck with your recovery.
Nervous is very normal. Just pick the right doctor and the right technique and you'll do great! :)
They can be done under local but it is the choice of the doctor. Some docs feel less comfortable with patients who are awake. I went to a plastic surgeon so I paid cash. I had a great experience though and am very happy. It looks and feels great. Hope you have a great result too! :)
I had a modified wedge.
I hope so too, thank you !
Hi, I believe that you should consider a complete trim of your lab.minora as the wedge usually leaves some flesh exposed and only looks half done. That is how mine were excised and I have never regretted not having any skin to poke out. You may also consider to have a clitoral hood removal. I had my clit circumcised much later than the labia trim but always wished that it was done at the same time. You must of course be guided by your Gyno. but that is my thoughts for you. Best wishes, Lilian.
Thanks for your input, I'll keep that in mind.
Best wishes for the op, whatever you decide. Lilian
I love the outcome of my surgery I am sure you will love your's. Being nervous is a norm but you will be asleep for the procedure. FYI make sure you pile on the ice packs after
Thank you, I will pile up on ice. I have a list of things to get that I read has worked on other people.
Thanks for sharing. You should not be nervous about the procedure, it's really not a big deal. I went under general anesthesia, though I wanted local. But was so happy I had general. You're just going to close your eyes and open them, and all will be over! My recovery was also super easy and fast. I'm sure if you follow the instructions, you'll heal without any problems and very fast. I'm a month after the procedure and feels like I never even had it. Check out my pic before and after and feel free to ask me anything you want to know. I wish you good luck! Soon the torture will be over! :)
Yours looks great, I'm so happy for you. I hope I heal quickly as well.