Irritated Eyes from Latisse - Boston, MA

I started this product one week ago and so far it...

I started this product one week ago and so far it has made my eyes red and irritated. I tried using saline drops in my eyes after to reduce the redness but it doesn't seem to help. Also, my doc never told me there is a chance it could turn my light green eyes brown.

Wondering if all the hassle is worth it. I have heard after a month you can use it once a week to maintain the result...has anyone heard this? What about lash extensions at the the salon, I hear they last about a month and are about the same cost...I have never had them so I don't know if they ruin your lashes.

I have been using extensions for about three years and have enjoyed them. Some of the comments I read here do apply: they take a fair amount of maintenance, i.e. fills every 14 - 21 days, they are expensive ($50 a pop after a $300 initial set), they sometimes go askew, and they can be irritating to deal with when washing and drying one's face or sleeping on one's side. However, you get used to most of it, learn how to re-direct the haywire ones, and can instruct your technician to scale back the ones that poke into your eyelid from the pillow. I've never had eyelash loss from using them, however. If you keep it to a reasonable length, just slightly longer than your natural lashes, there is no harm to your natural lashes. (Some women just can't resist going overboard and getting much longer lashes than necessary and their own lashes break under the weight. A responsible technician will not do this.) I am now moving on to Latisse because my schedule simply doesn't work well with constant refill appointments. It's only been five days but I have discoloration on my upper lids halfway up to my brows, dryness-type irritation and some itching. Have been trying Protopic (a Vaseline-type ointment) on my lids and it has helped but am thinking of going to every second or day for some relief. It's too soon to know if Latisse will make my lashes grow. My provider has been using it successfully for a long time and her lashes, both top and bottom, are ridiculously long, but not thick and not dark. She uses mascara and does not apply Latisse to the lower lashes - it's just a "spillover" effect, she says. As someone else mentioned in this forum, my provider recommends a much narrower brush than those which come with Latisse. I haven't decided yet if Latisse is worth the trouble.

Hi Alaska,

Welcome to the Latisse community. I always wondered how eyelash extensions worked. Your information is great and should be useful to the community. Please keep us updated to whether you decide to use Latisse, and maybe post a review. Thanks for your comment.

-Britt

I'm using Latisse, been using it for the past month now, maybe month and a half. I have eye redness, and underneith my eye lids, when i lift them up, is even MORE red. My fiance says I always look really dead tired. We're getting married in May, which is my reason for using this... I got it for free, so it was a no brainer for me.... but ... does anyone know, will the redness go AWAY??? FOR SURE???
My Dr's nurse gave me the best tip, she said don't use thier brushes, buy a very fine tip good make up brush and just dip it in and place the latisse like you do eyeliner. ( top lids only) Not only do her lashes look amazing, (honestly they are so long they look fake!) but her bottle lasts her over 3 months. When you use such a small amount so well placed like that I find I have almost no irritation, though some nights it does sting a bit, and itch too. I just don't touch it. She also told me to use right before I go to sleep, so that has helped too.
Hi Kath in Boston It is common to get itchy red eyes while on latisse however it is recommended NOT to put any eye drops on to see if you have an allergic reaction to the product. Try a couple days without Visine if the redness continues try to use latisse every 2 or 3 days or maybe even discontinue it. Sometimes your body heals itself without the use of eye drops. Another tip, try one drop for both eyes, not only will your bottle last longer but the medicine is in a smaller dose. Good luck
To Kath in Boston - I have not tried Latisse, but did try the eyelash extentions about 2 years ago. Save your money. It was $400 just thrown away. They don't stay on very long and you have to go back every 2 weeks and spend $80 for the ones that have fallen off. I was VERY disappointed in the process.
I had lash extensions for about ten days and then had them removed. They don't feel natural at all and it feels and looks like you have mascara on all the time. You know how sometimes you can't wait to take your mascara off because your eyes start to bother you...well...you can't do that with extensions. Mine were $300 with $50 touch ups every three weeks but I got them professionally removed before I was even ready for a touch up because they bothered me so much. Everyone noticed the difference but I couldn't take the way they felt. Also, when i woke up in the morning, my lashes would all be clumped together until I washed my face and seperated them. I started using revitalash after that and that worked for a while, but then I heard they removed the product that actually made your lashes grow from the solution. I'm now using lattise and haven't had any problems. My lashes have gotten longer, but they didn't get much thicker. I have only been using it for about 8 weeks now and hope this will change in another few weeks.
I did lash extensions for 3 months. They looked good for maybe a week then I needed a touch-up. Very expensive and I had to watch the way I slept so to keep them nice. My own lashes were a mess when I had extensions removed--several bald spots. That's when I started Latisse. Been using it for almost 4 months. My co-workers thought I got extentions again but they are all my own. I love it!
If your eye pigment changes, it will be permanent. BUT this has never been found to happen from Latisse use, only from use of the glaucoma equivalent drug, which is placed directly in the eye. Do your best to keep the product on the lashes and out of your eyes, and you should have no problems.
Good luck on the growth! Have you noticed any redness after using Latisse? I have been using Visine in the AM after having the drops on my eyelashes all night and it has helped.
I had eyelash extensions for a year. They really only look good for 10 days before there is significant loss, and at $50 a "fill", thats $150 a month. Plus, most of my eyelashes fell out after a couple months, so it was getting harder and harder to have something for the extensions to adhere to. Took 2 months after I quit extensions for them to grow back. Also, they dont always look natural - some can go in odd directions! I just ordered Latisse and am excited to try it. I wont do extensins again.
I loved my eyelash extentions, but they are expensive, don't last, and they are why I am using Latisse now. They broke all my lashes and what I had left were tiny! Ive been using it for about 3 weeks and hope to see some length and regrowth soon!
I experienced eye irratation also, are you a contact lense wearer. I am and followed direction took lenses out first but still, red itchy. I am still using cause I am hoping side effects may go away. FYI, the green to brown color can only pigment flecks of brown if you have them. And it will only last until you stop use, thats what the Sales Rep said. My co workers lashes look great definetly grew after 3 wks. Eyelash extensions promote the lose of your natural lashes if you constantly have extensions on them, the cost is around $200, in my area.