Treatment of White (Hypopigmented) Linear, Self Harm Scars, Raised and Flat- Boston, MA

Let me begin by saying I cut myself and stopped...

Let me begin by saying I cut myself and stopped cutting over 10 years ago. My scars are hypopigmented or white, mostly flat but a few raised, I tried Mederma & silicone patches to no avail. Recently sought out laser treatments and had my first treatment 3 monthes ago by a dermotologist who I thought was well qualified. She used the v-beam laser way too high and my two scars she treated turned purple and blue, they blistered and bled. Something I've been told should have never happened. Let's just say I never went back and sought out a much more qualified doctor by traveling over an hour to Boston,
Dr. Mathew Avram of the Massachusetts general hospital laser and dermatology center. This facility is known for their experience with lasers, they even helped to create lasers.
I was told I should come for 5 treatments with the dual fraxel laser and he expected (not guaranteed) a 50% improvement in the appearance/visibility of my scars. I was told to stay clear of the sun as he would refuse treatment if I tanned my fair skin which would affect treatment and possibly alter results.
Yesterday I went for my first treatment, numbing gel was used an hour before treatment to help the pain, the fraxel laser was a breeze pain wise, the numbing gel works wonders! Both the v-beam and dual fraxel were used on my scars. I will be having one treatment a month for 5 monthes at $350 each visit. I plan to photograph and document my progress for myself and to help others in this process. Please do your research and travel if needed in order to find a decent doctor with experience! Post again soon! Thanks for reading

I was wondering if you had any pictures of what your arm looks like now. My daughter used to self harm and we have used the vbeam laser and that helped with the red pigmented scars but we are looking for into the fraxel laser for the raised white ones.
Hi momwhocares, I am still in the process of getting treated & I won't be done until October. Results are expected to heal 6 monthes to a year after that. I will certainly continue to update my journey. I go for my second treatment out of five tomorrow.. Thanks!
You are extremely brave for sharing your story. I will be following -- thank you so much for being open and trying to help others!!!

Tomorrow is my second fraxel laser treatment

Tomorrow will be my second of five treatments of the dual fraxel laser. My scars are still very visible but I notice a little improvement. My skin is mostly back to normal post laser treatment. There was a few weeks of sandpaper textured skin but very little to complain about. It can be shrugged off as a rash.

Hi Doublebags, my daughter decided to test the water on two cuts with the fraxel laser last week. She will decide next month if she is going to do her entire arm or not. Good luck tomorrow, I hope you are seeing results.

Two more weeks till laser treatment #3

In another two weeks i will go for my third of five laser treatments. As of right now I see a slight improvement in my scars 3 weeks post my second treatment. I'm hopeful that after five treatments It will be better overall. My skin seemed to heal faster the second time around. I make sure to use a lot of lotion, neosporin, and 50+ SPF when in the sun.

Looks like it's improving, congratulations! This is great information for so many people, thank you for sharing it XO
You are making great progress, thank you for keeping your review up to date :)
Hi momwhocares, I wish your daughter success with treatment. I'm hopeful the fraxel dual laser will finally be the answer.
Boston Dermatologic Surgeon