Derma Roller Done Again!

I am 45 years old and wanted to take care of acne...

I am 45 years old and wanted to take care of acne scars as well as fine lines around my eyes and the parenthesis lines around my mouth. I do get fillers but with light hair and eyes, the crepe paper wrinkles are really starting to come in. The surgeon originally recommended pearl laser. I booked the appointment, paid for it then chickened out, in large part b/c of the very very mixed reviews on real self.

The surgeon then recommended needling. He was going to charge $1500 and the nurses said I'd look awful when I left, but it would clear up fast. I decided to go for needling followed by genesis laser done by the aesthetician in his office. The needles wouldn't be as deep, and results not as dramatic, but there would be no down time. I went yesterday with very modest hopes. After all it was less than half the price and and had no real down time. She put numbing cream on, let it set and went to work. It did not hurt and the genesis laser was warm and comfortable.

Yes, my face was red when I left but it just looked like I got a little too much sun, nothing extreme. I was shocked this am when I looked in the mirror and my skin looks GREAT. The large pores are gone, some of the redness is gone, it looks tighter. It's subtle but its also pretty remarkable. The scars are still there but are less noticable. She wants me to go once a month, not sure I can afford it monthly, but will definitely have this done again.

It's about a month later and I do think it made a...

It's about a month later and I do think it made a difference. Not huge but when I look in the mirror I think to myself that my skin looks good. I'm going to buy one on amazon and start doing this at home!

Surgeon does the derma-roller

Decided to take out the big guns and really dermaroll the scars. I haven't seen enough improvement with lasers to feel comfortable, so here goes.

Had it done today with adavan and local anesthesia (meaning a few shots the the face before they begin - oh my!). I also had an upper bleph at the same time, but I'll focus on results from the dermaroller. Looking to smooth out skin and lessen appearance of scars and fine lines.

Process did not hurt and I'm on perocet now so no pain. Feel fine - face a little tight but that's it.

Went today.

Had Upper Bleph too. Tired b/c of pain med but feel good. Hoping for improvement of scars....

Five days out- skin looks significantly worse

Ok. It's day five and right now I'm regretting this. My face is still swollen. How much of this is from the bleph and how much from the derma roller I can't say. What I can say FOR SURE is that the scars have doubled in size and as a result of these huge craters on my face along with signficantly enlarged pores, I look 5 -7 years older. The opposite of the intended result. I'm hoping the swelling (pushing from the inside of my cheeks out) is pushing the scars and distorting their size. My skin tone is uneven and doesn't look healthy or good.

Day 16

My eyes look great, however the acne scars which you can't really see in either photo are worse. I'm hoping that time will heal that, but if you have ice pick scars, this is not your answer. I will update again - hopefully the scars will improve.

Not sure how to edit the above post -

Picture on Left is day 10, on right is day 2

5 months post needling - improvement at last!!!!

My skin looks better than before the procedure and the acne scars themselves look smaller and seem to be less noticeable. I would say a 15% improvement, which to me makes it worth it.

The only negative is a scapel scar that I had from an excision of two boxcar scars on my cheek (done years ago). That scar looks a bit wider, but all in all, in the final analysis I'm glad I had this done.

It took about four months before my acne scars started looking smaller & skin tighter, and again, it wasn't a miracle, it was about 15% - 20%, not a miracle, but a difference.

Hi everyone. After reading all of your comments & questions here I have a few suggestions that I was told by my PS to do after my procedures. Let me begin by saying I had cystic acne starting at age 13 & used Tetracycline until my early 30's. I began using using Retin-A .10 in my early 30's. Now all I use on my face is Cetaphil cleanser twice a day, witch hazel & Retin-A as my night time regimen & sunscreen & moisturizer in the mornings. I've had microdermabrasions that I started in my 40's every 6 months for several years, a chemical peel, 6 Fraxel; repair treatments, Ulthera, Thermage, IPL treatments & 4 CO2 ablative laser treatments. I've also had many, many Botox injections, Juvaderm, Restylane, Juvaderm Voluma, & Sculptra injections. After each CO2 ablative treatment my PS performed, which is in essence the same, if I am understanding how the dermaroller works, I was told not to use any cleansers on my face after, to only rinse with cool water & apply a thin coating of Aquaphor. My PS told me to STOP fish oil & vitamin E at least 2 weeks prior to & after each procedure I had, because of the increased risk of bruising & healing time is longer. I take vitamin K & 200 mg of zinc each day for several weeks prior to & after my procedures. I ordered the 1.5 mm dermaroller from Amazon today & I'm going to give it a try, I've tried everything else. I hope it works, because frankly, I'm tired of spending money. Yes, I have seen results, but not what I feel I should have seen. Maintaining & taking care of our face, body, health is an ongoing process & I am very dedicated to taking care of myself. I hope this helps some & if anyone knows of anything else to try, PLEASE let me know.
So your last treatment, was that done yourself with a dermaroller you purchased on Amazon. I'm curious to try it as well on my acne scars because many have raved about it. Is it painful??? :(
Thanks for sharing this, btw! Really helpful!!
allegroor19, all of my treatment procedures have either been done by a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon. I just ordered 2 dermarollers, a 1.5 & a 1.0, plus numbing cream. They should arrive next week. I will post results about the effectiveness of the rollers as I use them. From what I've read & watched on Youtube it appears to be quite easy. I'm hoping the results will be positive.
I, too, would like to know how the home dermarollers work out for you. Please keep us updated, dabareit!!!!!!!!!! :-)
USING VITAMIN K WITHOUT KNOWN PATHOLOGY OR DISEASE CAN CAUSE VENOUS THROMBOSIS CARDIAC PROBLEMS , KINDLY SHARE DID DOCTOR RECOMMEND YOU USING IT. THAT'S NOT NORMAL
I have read to use a type of copper cream when using the derma roller...I think u might have to purchase it from a ps or you might find it on ebay by chance..let me know if yoy find it..I too want to purchase some of the cream..thanks
not to judge but maybe it's just paranoia.
Did you all noticed something? many of the comments here are forcing you toward either doing it with professional, or having it done with a particular Dermaroller or Dermapen...seriously think twice these are not legit replies....they are either doctors trying to push Dermaroller on you, or someone trying to sell a product....Dermaroller at home is the exact same done by a doctor. FIrstly, when doing it at home, you got more control. Here what I would want you to do...make sure you get lots of namming cream, apply it before the rolling atleast an hour....don't pressure too much, just be natural, make sure you have lots of LIGHT, at your mirror to see better, Always left up the Dermaroller before you change the directions....
I am suggesting you to do dermaroller with professionals, and I am not a doctor. The reason is because the producer of the brand 'dermaroller' mentioned that there are several sizes of the needles and the one intended to reduce the visibility of scars is longer than the size of the needles intended just to bring out your 'inner glow'. They (dermaroller company) mentioned in their website that while the dermaroller with shorter needles can be used at home, they recommend that if you are using the longer needle, you need to have local anesthesia and professional help. I suggest that anyone who plans to use dermaroller conduct their own 'product knowledge' research to understand what dermarollers are available out there. The ones that I have always used always made me bled quite seriously, like at ever stroke. Definitely different from the roller you use at home. And yes.. you need to apply good pressure if you want to reduce the visibility of the scars.
If you don't bleed, you're not doing anything but making your face red and uncomfortable for nothing. I roll till I bleed some in each area. That's when I know I have done enough damage to the skin for healing (and collagen replacement) to take place. With that being said, I agree, too much subliminal advertising. I don't even know the name brand of my roller. I just know it was only 20 bucks on Amazon (don't even remember seller's name) and is a 2.5 mm...and it makes me bleed! Don't be a sucker, a doctor definitely does not need to do this for you - they just don't want you to know that ;)
:-) I always go to the doctor because when I bleed, I think that means my skin is openly wounded. I want to make sure that sufficient preparation is done to sterilize my skin before the open wounds are created. And then there is the application of the numbing cream, and the sufficient presure to create the wounds, and then applying the betadine to protect the open wounds, and then the care that needs to be done to sterilize the rollers for the next use. I understand that it should be sterilized only with particular agent that won't blunt the needles and I do not want to go through the hassle of doing all those things when there are some other people who specialize on doing those things... I prefer "call, come, rest while having it done, go."... Or may be I am just spoiled. 3 sessions of dermaroller with a medical professional (all-inclusive) costs me only USD140 in Jakarta, and I don't think the price difference of doing it at home worth the hassle.
You can buy the numbing cream on eBay without a medical license, and Betadine can be purchased pretty much at any drug store. And I roll my own face, using sufficient pressure to bleed (and I'm a smoker, who supposedly is less likely to bleed). Just sayin'.
As for sterilizing...ummm, wash your face and viola...face is "sterilized." Then apply Betadine. Do you think those puncture wounds heal before you leave the doctor's offce?? Nope, it's now up to you to keep your face "sterile" to avoid infection at home. I have done three acid peels at 25%. My face was a bloody pulp for days. But common sense should be used...keep any "open wounds" clean!
The punctured wounds has dried after I leave the doctor's office. After the rolling, they applied the serum and betadine between 20minutes interval, and after about 20 minutes of betadine mask, they also applied the antibiotics (or something to that effect). It has not healed, but it has dried and protected. And my way from the doctor's office to home is alright and I am not exposed. In total, I spent about 3 hours at the clinic. 1 hour for facial, 30 minutes for the numbing cream, about 30 minutes for rolling, 40 minutes for the serum and betadine (I do not know which comes first), and antibiotic (or something to that effect). Like I said, I may be just spoilt. I do not want to do all those preparation, buying this and that, and the after-care of my needles (that I need to sterilize after - with neither betadine nor alcohol), and just want to have it done. I'd rather use my effort and mind for something that I value more than saving the cost difference. I guess it's about our priorities. Mine happen to be different from yours.
Well, the fact remains that this is not open heart surgery. So safety is definitely not an issue if someone wants to do this at home. Just use common sense - keep your hands and face clean and try not to touch the face. It's pretty easy. If you feel the doctor's office is the way to go and you can afford it, that's cool; but some people do it on their own because they can't afford the doctor's office and/or simply do not have the time. I'm far from poor, but we do have seven children, and I don't have three hours to spare at the doctor's office. The last thing I'm going to do is pad the pocket of an already wealthy physician when I can do it myself for 20 bucks (I don't require neither Betadine nor numbing cream), I can use that 300+ bucks to take my kids to Universal...so yeah, we do have different priorities.
I use a 1.5 mm dermaroller on my face. The first time, I made sure I bled; it wasn't bad, though. A week later I went a little easier on my face. After that week, my husband said my face overall just looked healthier and glowed. I noticed it, too, but never said anything because I thought it was just me and wishful thinking. So, I just rolled my face again today and made sure I bled. Boy, that numbing cream and pain medication must make it much nicer because I'm DYING!! My face is on FIRE and now I'm grumpy. With that being said, I have read from a top surgeon that you have to do this once every two weeks for six weeks to really see results. I'm doing it once a week...just to make sure the pain is all worth it. I will say that the first time I did it, my face did look older that following week. I attributed this to the healing process. Things are always worse before they get better. But there is one thing I know, I have read multiple, multiple sites ranging from doctors to aestheticians and they all agree, dermarolling definitely works! It's even said to be better than dermabrasion, chemical peels, and laser resurfacing! I've also read to use it in conjunction with your anti-aging lotions; but since I've used nothing but cocoa butter lotion and fish oil, that's what I used. I put half a fish oil tablet on my face before I start and leave it there for about an hour. I then put the other half on and roll my face. I wait till I see some blood in one section of my face before moving onto another. Once I am done, I rinse my face with cool water (because this shit burnsssss!), and then I apply just a small amount of fish oil again...I then put my cocoa lotion on...which of course in turn burns my face more till it calms down. Then I'm just left with the original burning. Oweeeeee. I don't know if my above regimen will add any additional benefit, but it certainly can't hurt to be pushing that fish oil/Omega 3 down in the skin as far as I can. I also take one fish oil tablet a day...you know, to help on the inside, too. ;) I wish all of you (and myself) lots of luck!!!
Are you still derma rolling on your face?? I just ordered my 1st derma roller (I got 1.0 and a 1.5 size roller) I am a little nervous but wondering what to apply to my face after I roll it?? I used Retin-a and I am not sure when to use it after I roll my face?!
Don't know about using fish oil and cocoa lotion. I heard that HA serum and Vit. C serum is the best. You don't want to put anything with perfume and artificial ingredients on your skin because it goes directly into your blood stream.
No, sorry, I stopped because I got so busy with a new business. As soon as things settle down I will try a six week course again. It sill think it helped with my laugh lines around my mouth, though. Also, the only downside to using fish oil is the smell...and it's bad! I had to stop using it. However, if it didn't smell so bad and I could use it, it would do wonders for my face. It will keep your face moist while you are healing first of all, and then there are the general benefits of fish oil for the skin. So if you can stand the smell, it's great to use. I wouldn't suggest it for people who are prone to acne, though, for obvious reasons. I am just taking the fish oil orally now. And the cocoa lotion helped soothe my skin (after initially burning it) and somewhat kept it from feeling like a dried out prune since I couldn't use the fish oil any longer ;) If you don't keep your skin super moist (and I have no suggestions on what to use to accomplish that), you will look 1000 years old until you completely heal. I was almost in tears when I first rolled and that happened, until I realized it was only temporary. ;) From what I've read, vitamin C has quick-healing properties, and you do not want to heal quickly. Collagen takes time to build up, so the longer you heal, the more collagen you will produce. May want to research that but that's something I've heard. Happy rolling!
Oh, and I want to point out a few things. I am also Rene007. Didn't realize I already had an account. And I would like to correct that I have a 1.5 mm roller, not 2.5. My bad. Annnnd lastly, above there should be "I still." Not sure how that happened. ;)
Hello All it's been just over two months. I would say I had small improvement on acne scars BUT the scapel scar from the scar excision (done years ago) looks more prominent. Because of this I wouldn't do it again.
The scar probably looked worse because it is filling in so it will look bigger/wider. How does it look now? A year later?
How's it going now? Any improvement on the scars? Do you know what size needles were used?