Derma Roller Done Again!

I am 45 years old and wanted to take care of acne...

I am 45 years old and wanted to take care of acne scars as well as fine lines around my eyes and the parenthesis lines around my mouth. I do get fillers but with light hair and eyes, the crepe paper wrinkles are really starting to come in. The surgeon originally recommended pearl laser. I booked the appointment, paid for it then chickened out, in large part b/c of the very very mixed reviews on real self.

The surgeon then recommended needling. He was going to charge $1500 and the nurses said I'd look awful when I left, but it would clear up fast. I decided to go for needling followed by genesis laser done by the aesthetician in his office. The needles wouldn't be as deep, and results not as dramatic, but there would be no down time. I went yesterday with very modest hopes. After all it was less than half the price and and had no real down time. She put numbing cream on, let it set and went to work. It did not hurt and the genesis laser was warm and comfortable.

Yes, my face was red when I left but it just looked like I got a little too much sun, nothing extreme. I was shocked this am when I looked in the mirror and my skin looks GREAT. The large pores are gone, some of the redness is gone, it looks tighter. It's subtle but its also pretty remarkable. The scars are still there but are less noticable. She wants me to go once a month, not sure I can afford it monthly, but will definitely have this done again.

It's about a month later and I do think it made a...

It's about a month later and I do think it made a difference. Not huge but when I look in the mirror I think to myself that my skin looks good. I'm going to buy one on amazon and start doing this at home!

Surgeon does the derma-roller

Decided to take out the big guns and really dermaroll the scars. I haven't seen enough improvement with lasers to feel comfortable, so here goes.

Had it done today with adavan and local anesthesia (meaning a few shots the the face before they begin - oh my!). I also had an upper bleph at the same time, but I'll focus on results from the dermaroller. Looking to smooth out skin and lessen appearance of scars and fine lines.

Process did not hurt and I'm on perocet now so no pain. Feel fine - face a little tight but that's it.

Went today.

Had Upper Bleph too. Tired b/c of pain med but feel good. Hoping for improvement of scars....

Five days out- skin looks significantly worse

Ok. It's day five and right now I'm regretting this. My face is still swollen. How much of this is from the bleph and how much from the derma roller I can't say. What I can say FOR SURE is that the scars have doubled in size and as a result of these huge craters on my face along with signficantly enlarged pores, I look 5 -7 years older. The opposite of the intended result. I'm hoping the swelling (pushing from the inside of my cheeks out) is pushing the scars and distorting their size. My skin tone is uneven and doesn't look healthy or good.

Day 16

My eyes look great, however the acne scars which you can't really see in either photo are worse. I'm hoping that time will heal that, but if you have ice pick scars, this is not your answer. I will update again - hopefully the scars will improve.

Not sure how to edit the above post -

Picture on Left is day 10, on right is day 2

5 months post needling - improvement at last!!!!

My skin looks better than before the procedure and the acne scars themselves look smaller and seem to be less noticeable. I would say a 15% improvement, which to me makes it worth it.

The only negative is a scapel scar that I had from an excision of two boxcar scars on my cheek (done years ago). That scar looks a bit wider, but all in all, in the final analysis I'm glad I had this done.

It took about four months before my acne scars started looking smaller & skin tighter, and again, it wasn't a miracle, it was about 15% - 20%, not a miracle, but a difference.