So Very Glad I Did! - Boston, MA

I turned 44 in November of this year and had a...

I turned 44 in November of this year and had a facelift last week. I am so grateful to the women on this board who shared their experiences that I wanted to share mine for anyone considering a facelift.

Background: When I turned 40 no one could believe I was *actually* 40 because I looked so young. Two years later I got serious about losing those "last ten pounds" and when I did my face literally dropped. The buccal fat pads that had rounded my cheekbones so nicely when I was young melted like butter and headed south. I had jowls and a really gaunt look. I didn't fully realize this until pictures were taken. I looked awful - haggard and OLD. And despite my target weight and new wardrobe - let me assure you that heads don't turn for the old lady. It just made me so sad because - as so many women have lamented - I felt (and feel!) young,healthy and vital inside. It was devestating. I suddenly turned into my mother - refusing to let anyone take my picture and cringing when I saw the results when people did. I knew at that point that I was going to get a facelift.

I saved my pennies and did my homework. I read lots of books on cosmetic surgery - the best of which was The Girlfriends Guide to Cosmetic Surgery by Charlie Ganny (awesome!). I found my surgeon and set a date.

I was not nervous. Every time I looked in the mirror I knew it was the right thing for me, and was DETERMINED not to spend the next decade unhappy with my face.

There was a blizzard in Boston the night before my surgery (of course!). I was moved from first-thing-in-the-morning to afternoon. Still, I wasn't nervous. I had my Dad take me in (through the snow, to the cosmetic surgeon we go...). The surgery was done with just valium, adivan and a few injections of local to my face. I DON"T RECOMMEND THIS. Pay to be knocked out unless you know you have a high tolerance for pain. I have a low tolerance (as I learned to my dismay). I was awake and felt TREMENDOUS pain towards the beginning and the end. The end in particular was awful. After surgery he gave me drugs that really knocked me out, and I remember little about coming home or settling into bed.

The next few days were a trip. I have read that facelifts are "almost completely painless." That you only need tylenol. NO NO NO. I was in pain - not excruciating - but enough that I used my pain meds to sleep through much of it for the next few days. My face really swelled up and I looked like an egg (!!). But a young egg - yes, it was evident immediately that my jaw was tight and my cheekbones restored (thanks to a temporal lift with the face lift).

Within a week the swelling was almost completely resolved and I look GREAT. I look at least seven years younger - and it has (and I know sadly) translated into men being nicer to me. In our youth crazed culture it has made life much more enjoyable. And I know that time will catch up with me eventually - but I'm very happy with my decision.

It's been a year now, and I'm still...

It's been a year now, and I'm still *thrilled* that I had my FL. I'd do it again...

Brookline Plastic Surgeon

So glad to hear you're still doing well. Thanks for updating!

who was your docotor? Are you able to go right back to work after school vacation week? How are you feeling/looking?
I am scheduled or next month and am a nervous wreck.
Also, did you tell your friends and collegues?
Sharon,

First of all, THANK YOU for the site! It is such a comfort to be able to hear first hand experiences from women. It was (and is) very comforting!

General anesthesia comes with risk - you aren't breathing on your own when you are under general. In in the past I have used local WITH SEDATION, so there is an anesthesiologist keeping me "under." However, the anesthesiologist only worked Thursdays, and I needed a Monday slot so that I had Christmas vacation week to recover (I teach).

I have to say that when I wrote this (3 or 4 days ago), I looked younger, but not more attractive. I don't know if swelling is going down or what, but I can't believe how GOOD I look. I have gone from average to attractive. I have no explanation for it. People I have run into keep telling me how great I look. I changed my hair color just before the procedure and tell them it must be the new color, but I think it was the surgeon's skill!

Again, THANK YOU!

Thanks for writing about your facelift experience. This is so helpful!

I also couldn't imagine getting local anesthetic; maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm much more afraid of the pain and all the instruments floating around my head than of not waking up. :) Out of curiosity, did your doctor offer general anethesia at all or did you have to go with local?