Bumps from Smart Lipo (135lbs and 5'9") - Boca Raton, FL

It will be 4 weeks tomorrow since my surgery. I...

It will be 4 weeks tomorrow since my surgery. I had the hopes of it being all better by now, but the experience has been horrendous. Not only was it terribly painful, but my surgeon misled me into thinking it would be a very quick recovery. He told me that I would only have to wear my compression garment for 5 days! I am still wearing it 24 hours a day, and frankly afaid not to, as I am desperately trying to find hope in smoothing out the horrible unevenness I have.

I was under the impression that I was a perfect candidate for the SmartLipo since I was ideal weight (135lbs and 5'9"). I only had a little pouch that I had not ever been able to accept. I am now facing the prospect of never showing my belly in public again, which leaves me distraught as I live a mile from the beach in Fla, and often went with my kids. I have never in my life worn a one piece bathing suit. Can someone please help me in instilling some hope?

Like I said, it has been 4 weeks, and I am wearing a very tight fitting compression garment with pads, have had 8 endermologie treatments, and 2x daily massage myself most of the time with a rolling pin. I don't want to give up hope, or have to fathom getting another surgery already. PLEASE HELP!

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Just look at my pictures, which tell a 1000 words.

Dr. Nees at Strax Rejuvenation killed one of his patients. He has had his medical license suspended repeatedly. Read article below: http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/2011-06-02/news/deaths-at-one-of-south-florida-s-most-popular-plastic-surgery-centers-raise-questions-about-the-safety-of-cheaper-nips-and-tucks/full/ Strax is an awful institution taking advantage of others.
I've been reading these posts and I think a lot of the problem is the doctor you choose. I heard a lot of good things about Dr. Stratt and a friend had his belly done by him and he looked great. So i went to Dr. Stratt too. If you don't pick the right surgeon you can get lumps. Anyway, thats what dr. Stratt told me. He also said that lumps can develope after the surgery, but its important to wait for them to go down > iad a few lumps initially, but they went away after a few weeks. Anyway, now I look awesome...and I'm really really happy I went to him.
Hi to all of you... i am now 7 weeks post lipo, my belly still with lumps and looks terrible, and as many of you, good in cloths, no so good naked, and waiting the 3 months to see if all those pocked fluids and bumps will dissapear. At least i am not in pain anymore, i stil feel from time to time a burning sensation that comes and goes,but i guess that must be the body that is recovering from the tumescent anestesia in it, and lets not forget that what a laser does is burn and burns nerves and even if we do not see it because it is internal, a burning wund takes time to heal and recover...lets not fool ourselves and i wish doctors would be more honest and say exactly what we could expect from this procedure.
Is everyone who go get lipo ended up with lumps all the time?
I posted latest pic of the results, now 13 weeks post-op.
i am curious..did your lumps ever go away? i am 8 weeks post op and have the lumpiness. i am soo upset.
sorry to say for me, the lumps are as bad as ever, plus the skin is morbid. It is so wrinkley, I will NEVER be seen in a bikini again. I was a swimsuit model before this! It has caused me so much distress, I have just had to accept I can't show my stomach anymore. I could get another surgery I suppose, to try to correct it, but I don't really think there's much room for improvement besides maybe an entire tummy tuck which is a way radical procedure....
Best of luck to you! Everybody is different and much can change over the months. If it is not that bad, they routinely can correct small lumps with a corrective surgery. Don't fret! See another (highly recommended) surgeon after a couple months for a free consult.
thanks so much for your reply. i was so afraid that you were going to say that. :-(
my lumps arent hard, but the skin is just so uneven and weird looking. i am doing massages everyday to see if ite will help, but it doesnt look like it. i dont understand what happened?? i thought the smart lipo was supposed to tighten the skin. i jsut cant believe this has happened to me. :-(
thanks again..i appreciated your input.
I know, I felt the same way. I never expected anything but great results. I had been so excited! It is good to know that we are not alone. I feel your pain, I feel like I keep a secret now, because I look good on the outside (of my clothes) but God forbid someone catch a glimpse of my belly!
In your case, DON'T FRET! You are early in and you don't know what it will end up like... Would be nice to have a support group for this, tho! There has to be thousands like us out there! We are not alone.
Keep in touch, and let me know how you are. I really wish you well!
OMG reading ur comments I have to say that am so afraid right now, am having the same problems and everyone keep telling that is going to go away..uneven skinn, wrinkle and bumps around my tummy area :( am right now 4 weeks after surgery sooo disappointed. :(
I wish I had good news to report, but the truth of the matter is, I feel that I am disfigured from this. Worse even is that I have undergone probably 25 treatments of endermologie and ultrasound. These are similiar to treatments that my plastic surgeon's office offered me at a 'discount' turning out to be about $150 apiece, although luckily I have a friend who is in the profession who took empathy on my situation and has done them for next to nothing. It has smoothed out a little I guess, and reduced all the swelling, but I look strange. My son (11 years old) gave me a reality check 2 days ago at the beach. I had resorted to wearing my bikini in spite of the strangeness, I think I was going into a kind of denial about it. I took off my cover-up while I was talking to him, and he couldn't take his eyes off my torso. I tried to act like nothing, and he said "mom, that looks weird". I said "it does?" He replied, "yes, it's all ripply and stuff... just put this back on." Wow. Out of the mouths of babes. I obliged by covering up with my tank again. I have not sought any other surgeries, and am leary that there is anything that could help. I'm just living with it. Good news is, I feel fabulous in clothes. It's just that I have something to hide now....
So what ever happened? What did you decide to do if anything to correct this? I had smart-lipo done in December 2008 and have some waviness on my right side. I wonder if that can be touched up.
My surgery was over a year ago and I still have the lumps. I look great in clothes but I'm embarrassed for anyone to see my stomach. Since then I've heard other people say their DR had them fo velashape right away. My Dr kept telling me I would be fine in 4-6 months. I lost about 7 lbs in the month before my surgery so I always thought that maybe I was too skinny when I had my surgery done. I'm going to talk to another DR tomorrow to see how I can correct this
It's been 2 months since my procedure and I used to wear a bikini and at this point, I don't want anyone to see my pocket of fluid that bulges out and dimply stomach since the smart lipo! He told me that I shouldn't be worried until after 3-6mths as that's when final results will be more evident. At this point, I'm happy with how my clothes fit better but not happy with the uneven stomach and fluid pockets! Please get better!
Hi Shari, How are things now that more time has passed? I had the proceedure done almost a month ago and I have a lot of bumps too. I have had 6 treatments. I have been told to be patient as it takes up to six months but I feel like others are SO PLEASED with their results by now. btw, I am 5'6, 132 pounds and like you was about 5 pounds from my best weight. I hope I didn't make a huge mistake!
What a shame--I think he may of taken out to much fat, can u pinch a cm or not? Did you have ultrasound massages straigh away after as this is good for healing and uneveness? xx
You should try a few treatments of Vela Shape! It really works, but it only works right after you have your procedure. I've had liposuction as well and I have lots of those lupms on my stomach unfortunatelly...
Thanks for the suggestion. I have been doing Endermologie with ultrasound, 3X a week. How does this differ? And would it still help after 6 weeks? I'm at 5 weeks 2 days now...
did velashape improve your lumps?
i don't remember having it, but honestly it's been almost 3 years now and the lumps aren't as bad, but still my stomach looks peculiar. i regret it to this day. plus, the skin is wrinkly because he took too much out, but i look fabulous in a tight tee shirt, i'm muscular and it shows my stomach definition, i just hate the bare look of my skin. on the up side however my boyfriend loves it and doesn't even know what i'm talking about when i mention it~~!::) take care
To be honest, I question the doctor due to the mere cost alone. He was quite inexpensive which makes me question that he had no ideal what he was doing. I paid $6200 for my back alone. It's only been a couple of weeks, but it looks great. And oh, by the way- I think you looked perfect before the surgery.
I am about to have the smart lipo next week, and reading this makes me think twice, and i already paid for it...:( What is the name of your doctor?

I made the mistake of acting kind of spontaneous to do this. I had been disliking my belly for the last couple years, and when I make up my mind to do something...well.. big mistake. I saw 4 doctors before I booked my surgery, and went with mine because I 'liked' him. ({edited}) I wish I had gotten someone recommended but I didn't know anyone who had had the Smart Lipo. He, I am realizing, does not necessarily specialize in this, and does a whole gamut of procedures, which was my first mistake looking back. My friend went to Dr Stratt in Fort Lauderdale, and her belly looks great. Unfortunately I didn't know this particular friend had it done until after mine, or I would have gone to her doctor. Maybe it would have not turned out very good either way, as I am pretty thin and this is part of the problem. Anyway, if you are having second thoughts, maybe you should postpone it and think about it some more. If you change your mind, I don't think they can keep all your money, maybe a percentage. I wish you all the best!! I would not wish this on anybody.

Edited by Sharon: We've added your doctor's info to the review. Thanks.
Just now I am sorry i did not folow your advice.I went to a meeting with the Dr and the assitant and she had it done and saw the pictures and it looked very good, so i decided i will take the risk and do it. I did it, April 8, it was a very long procedure almost 3 hours, it felt really akward in that moment i realized that it was not so easy and that there was no way out. I did my belly and flanks and my arms.Could not sleep that night sat on thecouch and watched Tv for hours. It was almost as the Dr was struggeling to get my fat out. April 9, went to the Dr, changed the dressings i was draining a lot and a lot of fluid coming out, in pain and could barely move but did not take tylenol, April 10, Feeling much better, no draining, took of the garment i am swollen and saw a lot of bumps and uneveness, hope it will get better.Took a shower it felt soooo good. Very little bruising. Went to look for another garment with a closed crotch , finally i found one but short , like a body, it did not help, my lower belly is very swollen and it comes out from the opening of the garment, it looks terrible, went with my husband to have dinner out,have not apetite. April 11 Much better, sleeping a lot and having a lot of dreams. Thusday is my first sesion in the Triactive therapy, lets see how it goes.
Wow, I feel terrible for you. You looked amazing before in my opinion. I definitely think you should follow up with this doctor or another one. I am also displeased with my Smart Lipo. At first I was upset, then thought my results were better, now I'm back to being throroughly disappointed. Hope it gets better for you.