Surgery Finally Resolves Juvederm Nightmare - United Kingdom, GB

Three and a half years ago I had Juvederm injected...

Three and a half years ago I had Juvederm injected in my tear troughs. The results were horrific. I was bruised under both eyes for weeks, and was left with a permanent, discoloured bag under my right eye. I had nine separate lots of hyaluronidase injected into the bag, but it only made the problem worse.
Last Tuesday I had surgery under both eyes. I had my stiches out yesterday, the bruising has all but gone, and the results are amazing. Not only has my wonderful consulting surgeon removed the unsightly bag under my right eye, but he has corrected the "tired" look that I had initially hoped Juvederm would rectify. Having spent the last three and a half years desperate and extremely self-conscious about the damage caused to my face, I can finally look at my reflection again.
So, if I may please give anyone considering fillers some advice, it would be this. Do your research. Choose your clinic by reputation for the exact procedure you are thinking about having, and not by cost or location.
The incompetent who injected me did not care. And Juvederm were not much better ...
I thank god I found a surgeon, details below, who did.
Thank you for your review as it has given me some hope. I am in the middle of a juvederm and hyaluronidase disaster. I cry every day. I wear fake glasses to hide the damage done to my eyes. I dread fluorescent lights. I walk around with my head down and I hate to look anyone in the eye. I feel sick at how horrible I look. There are no words to say how badly this has ruined my confidence. I am devastated. I had replacement filler put back in where the old filler was dissolved but it still looks awful. I really can't go on like this for three and a half years. I don't know how you did it. What sort of surgery did you have? Was all the filler gone before the surgery? I am desperate to do something. I just want to feel like myself again.
HI England9464 - I have been dealing with a post Juvederm nightmare myself. It sounds very familiar to yours. My injection was in November 2013 - and the visit was intended for my nose only. I'd read about it being an option to surgery to give a more straightened appearance. The doctor put the remainder in my left tear trough (which has always been more hollow than the right). Well, all was "fine" for 3 months - then the swelling and pain began. Apparently a delayed reaction. I've had about 6 treatments of Hyaluronidase and it's better. But there is one lump that seems to hang in there. This is where your story resonates with me. The doctor doing the hyaluronidase injections is not the one who did the Juvederm. Neither of them had seen this reaction before. So with my current PS we are just finding out way through it. I'm glad I searched again today. I think I may ask my PS if he would contact your doctor who did the surgery to consult. It may be the next stop for me in this journey! Thank you. Biggyc
Hi Jill. There was no filler left, and I never had any excess fat (my tear troughs always looked hollow). Andrew repaired the torn internal tissue under the eyes with dissolvable stiches, and then tightened the skin under my eyes with normal stiches. I think the tear was always going to happen because of my genes, but the whole problem was exacerbated by the filler and the hyaluronidase. Lesson learnt!
Doctor Andrew Sidebottom

Andrew works from both BMI, The Park, and Queens Med, in Nottingham, UK. He specialises in problems relating to the face (re-constructive surgery, TMJ, facial pain) and does not put himself forward as a cosmetic surgeon. He is currently treating another patient for damage to her face following fillers into her nasal lobes, and another for a face-lift carried out in Europe. I would highly recommend him.