Tattoo Regret - United Kingdom, GB

This summer I volunteered in an orphanage in south...

This summer I volunteered in an orphanage in south africa. I already have a back tattoo I love so before I even went i'd planned on getting a commemorative tattoo. Anyways when I came back one of my friends who is a tattoo artist (which I havent spoken to since because I dont have the heart to tell him) who works a very good tattoo parlour offered to sketch up some of my ideas. I originally wanted a SMALL foot tattoo. Long stort short now I have a rather large leg tattoo of a south african flower with the xhosa saying hamba kakhule underneath. After seeing my families reaction I started to realise my mistake.
It started with panic attacks when I was asleep, then spending the rest of the night looking up tattoo removal. That's when I found picosure was available in the UK and emailed trueskin about 20 emails to help me. I recently travelled to get a patch test and consultation. They estimated 3-4 treatments but im not so optimistic but at leasr my patch test hasn't shown up any keloids or scars.
My main concerns are include the cost and the pain! I only had a patch test haha but that thing is nasty! Really hope it is gone in 3-4 sessions :(

1st picosure treatment

Hey just a quick update that after a good test patch I went ahead with my 1st treatment. I used EMLA numbing cream wrapped in cling film an hour prior and the treatment really wasn't that bad, was literally over so fast too! Currently its painful like sunburn but I can walk it off, dont know how I'll manage the train back to Newcastle mind. It immediately turned white and after some vaseline and a dressing I was on my way in less than half an hour. I have quit smoking, I eat healthy but ive ordered some vitamins etc for immune support and im going to make more of an effort to get to my gym more often. Hopefully I'll see some results and I'll post an update in a few weeks :)

Terrifying Blister

Woah fell asleep for an hour on the train ddespite holding ice over it I woke up with this mammoth blister around 10x5cm

healing process

Dermacolor Tattoo cover make-up

Sooo seen a lot of you guys post about cover up make-up. Given the fact that my graduation is next July and I am very pessimistic about this large tattoo being gone by then I spoke to a few makeup artists (I have done some freelance work myself but its not my profession) and they recommended DERMACOLOR. I ordered the "Dermacolor Camouflage Creme palette with 6 shades, S". The black ink is much harder to cover up but I am very impressed with this. As you can see in the photo the difference between my kniphofia flower and the script makes the tattoo seem invisible. The downside is you don't get a lot for your money but at least you can be assured it works. For special occasions you could maybes go into a department store and as one of the makeup artists to apply it for you, the ladies at MAC and Bobbi Brown helped me decide what shades worked best. Lightest shade base, a colour that build up towards your skin tone and a blush on top. PS this image has no filters and is in natural sunlight to give you a true picture.

8 days after 1st treatment

Hi, sorry for posting so many updates! I rang up Trueskin to ask about this raw skin which was underneath a blister which went down and she told me to leave it alone and get some air to it. Ive been putting vaseline on the rest of it coz it is so god damn itchy I could rip my leg off sometimes! The flash on the camera has made some of the once red parts look a little brown, is this hyperpigmentation? I live so far away from the clinic I can't go in to ask? Once its healed a bit more will bio oil help and should I wait til its gone before booking my next session?

2 weeks after 1 picosure treatment

I'm thinking of booking my next treatment the end of January/beginning of february so it has 8-10 weeks of fading since my healings a bit slow. The blisters have now scabbed over and I'm alternating between vaseline, aloe vera gel and bio oil.

spots

Hey, I have no idea what these spots are and I cant see any info on them anywhere. Anyway I've been getting these little pimples on my tattoo, really uncomfortable to touch. I have around 5 but as soon as one goes another one turns up? My tattoo is lower leg so I cant say I've ever had spots there before im using aloe vera gel on its own now. I've had some good break up in the thin lines but other than that its slow progress im afraid!

5 weeks after my first treatment

2 month update, en route for my 2nd pico treatment

Its been 8 weeks since my first treatment and although I would like to leave it longer I'm on my way for my second. Due to logistics, my availability and Hollys at Trueskin today was the best option wish there was a picosure laser closer! Anyway I'm going to ask about picoplan before my treatment as its not been mentioned to me before. Can't say I'm overjoyed with the progress I was expecting a bit more but im glad to have seen some improvement. I really doubt this tattoo will be removed in the time frame I was quoted of 4 treatments. I think after that I will try a different laser.

picosure

I have signed up for picoplan with trueskin. Because the laser isn't quite giving the amazing results advertised online I have another 3 treatments being paid for in monthly installments over 12 months. If it still hasn't gone by then I get any treatment after that free of charge. The coloured ink in my tattoo isn't repsonding well so we're going to combine it with the revlite laser. Also there is another picosure availble at a clinic just outside of Manchester for anyone in the UK looking, I got a message from someone to let me know this.

4 days after 2nd treatment

Having one of those, "will my tattoo ever disapear moments" :(
Should've thought a bit more about timing I'm at a Killswitch Engage/Trivium concert tomorrow and its very painful to touch!

covering the tattoo

So tonight I'm going on a night out and braved buying a short dress. Its been just over a week since my 2nd treatment and as you can see in the photo its just about healed with a few scabs. I asked Holly and she said I could fake tan around the tattoo does anyone know if this is ok? I have to avoid tanning including fake tanning to avoid pigmentation issues? I'm going to try some cover make up over it!

comparison so far

I like everyones side by side photo's so I thought I'd do one myself. Its made me really happy with my progress so far and all my scabs from my 2nd treatment are just about gone. It's much easier to cover with dermacolor and im not dreading summer/graduation/21st anymore! I can easily fit 2 more treatments in before all these events if I wait 8 weeks between. The lines are so thick but they're much fainter.

3rd treatment next week!

So I'm booked for my 3rd treatment on wednesday approximately 6 weeks after my last. I would like to wait more but I haven't seen that much fading and im very aware im on a bit of a timescale with this picoplan. I've paid for 3 (not including the session I had last time as I signed up then) and then get 4 free if needed but they all need to be taken within 12 months. Then I get some free but need to be taken 6 months after that. So I have 18 months in total which they're confident I definitely wont need.
In other news I've been REALLY naughty and after breaking my e-cigarette I may have had a few real cigarettes this week. New e cig and charger are in the post, tbh I barely use it now pretty much quit but I panicked when it broke :( I've got an awful lot of deadlines at uni and really couldn't afford to be as distracted as I was without any nicotine! Anyways that is the LAST packet ever, I've also really cut down my caffiene intake and replaced it with lots more water. For lent I've decided to go vegan which means I HAVE to give up smoking and take my diet seriously.
I've also decided with all the trips down to trueskin medispa I want to do my PGCE in greater london. I hadn't considered it before I went so in a way its a bonus I finally figured out what im going to do after graduating and taking a year out to raise some money for relocating down south. Anyways sorry for the huge update I spend so much time on this site I feel the need to tell you all my life story!

Trueskin at Bluewater

I know a lot of people are recommending new places for picosure here and I'm glad its getting spread further but i will admit even the closer it gets to Newcastle I'm glad I travel down to Kent for my treatment. I love the clinic and the staff always remember me, take pictures and ask about my journey. The receptionist has a THICK BLACK tattoo on her foot (notoriously hard place for tattoo removal) and she showed me the tattoo she has had 3 treatments on and there all but a faint line of it left! Fair enough she went on holiday and skipped a few sessions so waited from august to january and honestly it turns out patience really is key to removal. I'm going to wait at least 3 months for my next treatment and 2 of my closest friends have decided we should make a big deal of it and make it an overnight stay in London.

Also in not so good news EMLA numbing cream is now under new licensing laws in the UK, is no longer being stocked in small pharmacies and boots wont sell it for any other reason that if you say its for an injection as there is a chance it reacts with the ink used in tattoos. So today i just gritted my teeth and curled up into a ball until the laser was over! Think you can still buy it online but the best thing to do really is to just deal with the pain!

2 weeks after 3rd treatment

Still healing, a few scabs present but just to show you guys what healing is like. The colours do not seem to be making a move. Im hoping that in a few months the black will have faded significantly as it isn't moving as fast as I hoped it would. I really want to wear a knee length dress for graduation but at the moment its too dark to successfully hide with makeup.

5 weeks after 3rd treatment

Getting bored of this now was really hoping to see more of this tattoo gone in 3 treatments! I suppose its only been 5 months since I began and it has come a long way but picosure isn't living up to my expectations at the moment. Its just so obvious and i'm starting to panic with summer approaching, im not having my next treatment until june giving myself 3 months between my treatments but I really was expecting more from this machine by now!

2 months after 3rd treatment

Honestly can't say I'm too impressed with picosure at the moment. Giving it another month before my next treatment but I can't afford to have huge gaps between treatments as I'm on picoplan and need to fit 8 in a year.

9 weeks after 3X picosure

Wish I had more to report! Unfortunately nothing new here, sort of just getting on with it. My family know not to mention it now so i've been wearing shorts etc with the summer now here. Still hate it but sweet FA I can do about it right now.

4th treatment yesterday

Its never going to leave!!!
We tried revlite on the colour at 525nm for red and then a wavelength setting for yellow (cant remember screen just said yellow). Black ink was lasared with picosure as usual. Hurt like hell. Blistered this time too, having too wear pants to my graduation whilst every other girl has pretty dresses on. ARGH!!!
trueskin medispa

So far the staff have been very reassuring and optimistic.

Try Rejuvi. It is a calcium based clear "ink" that will be applied just like a regular tattoo would be performed. Then the calcium ink will dry and draw the ink out of your skin while the body's natural healing AKA scabbing takes place. Usually places that do permanent make-up have this.
Never heard of it but I may look into that thanks.
Hey amy93, don't give up hope, you will see more fading! It might be much slower than you expected (and that Cynosure promised with the Picosure laser), but it will come. I can totally relate to your feeling bad about having to wear long pants while all the other girls are wearing nice dresses. This was the story of my life for the last 7 years, especially since last year where I had to go to quite many official functions. Finding clothes for these events that covered up at least most of my tattoos was a nightmare. But: It can be done :) Get yourself the nicest, shiniest, tightest top you can find - everyone will think you wear long pants just to accompany the cute top you're wearing. xx
Thank you, I know I just need to be more creative with my clothes. Healing is the worst part, im ok covering it with makeup when I go out with my friends but I have my leg covered completely with my family.
Hi there, to get rid of yellow you can get a laser with a different wavelength setting? I go to a place that only has the picosure laser, what laser did you get on the yellow?
The colours were treated with revlite
Hey, I'm in a very similar situation ( my tat is in the exact same place and full of colour) I'm on my 6th treatment and have been advised to leave longer between treatments) I'm beginning to be a bit hopeless now. I did consider excision, it was £90 for the consultation alone! The op would cost the same, if not less than laser treatment. Now I'm thinking I might see how much more it fades and get a cover up. Just keep your chin up and be patient, I'm sure we'll get there.
I wouldn't consider excision mind sounds a bit extreme! I'm actually starting to think I could be stuck with this the rest of my life! I've left it nearly 4 months before my next treatment and I think theyre going to panic when they see how little it has faded. The worst thing about it is I'm doing all this excercise and quit smoking, healthy eating and its having no effect!
Are you tied in with the place you're at now? If not you could check out Wayne at the Reset Room in London? He uses the Picosure laser (and has a QS Yag at his disposal too) and is meant to be very good. Could give him a shout? It seems like they just haven't been using high enough settings so far perhaps?
Yeah on picoplan. Only way I could afford picosure tbh! I'm going to ring trueskin before my next appt to let them know I expect revlite for the coloured ink. I'm disappointed with the progress on the black ink, definitely going to let them know im disappointed. There seems to be little difference from treatments 2-3.
Sounds like a good plan. They should absolutely be using a different laser for the colour, if they're telling your different then it think they're wrong! Let us know how you get on.
You* I*
Hi, I know you're on picoplan too so I was wondering if you could answer my query. On the website it states 'we guarantee your tattoo will be removed a year from now' so even if after the 8 sessions within a year, if it's still not gone, do they carry on treating? (Free of charge after the year is up) because I'm on pico number 4 soon and I've still got a long way to go. Thanks x
Yeah you get something like 4 more to be taken within 6 months (after the year on picoplan) and its guaranteed to be gone or free treatments til its gone!
Really! So even if it takes an extra year to remove it completely, they will carry on treating for free? I really hope that's true!!
Holly said it would be highly unlikely anyone will need anymore after the year but just incase you do its like a backup
Wow. I hope the RevLite brings greater improvement in the red and yellows for you. My Dr was not promising anything with the Picosure and the yellows in my tattoo. :( Are you looking for complete removal or are you going to cover it up? And the aloe vera gel is a great idea!!! I will pick some up before my second treatment. :) Cheers! Rose
I know I'm booked in for my 4th treatment on the 4th June. My clinic should have the revlite up and running by then, my technician wasn't in when I booked the appt sp will have to wait and see. They were still trialing the revlite my last appt as they don't want anyone scarring.
i totally understand what you mean about not seeing as much fading as you would expect from all the hype the pico gets but we have no choice but to keep going. Good luck!
hi, i just started my laser tattoo removal journey and wished i had access to picosure because i've read that it works really well on green and blue inks, which i have a fair bit of in my tattoo. it also looks like it's fading your black pretty quickly, congrats! i did read that the picosure wavelength isn't effective for reds though, so maybe thats why you're not seeing the fading you would like in the colours? not an expert but from reading and asking some doctors i think the QS NdYag laser is meant to be the best option for fading reds, so maybe thats something you can ask about? congrats on the fading you have so far! i'm only a few days after my first treatment and can't see any results yet, just blistering and bleeding :/
I'm going to get my colours treated with revlite next few goes. Thanks although I was hoping for more progress with the black ink, such a long disapointing process im afraid! Good luck!
Hi, what do you mean by on a picoplan?
Its the payment plan by trueskin, you pay for 3 treatments in monthly installments over a year and get 4 free (to be taken in said year). If by chance its still there you get follow up treatments free 6 months after that (or basically until its gone).
Note I also paid £500 for the session I had when I signed up for picoplan so that's a grand total of 8 in 1 year
That's cool - thanks for clearing that up!