musings on a facelift tuck/trichophytic brow lift - Birmingham, AL

I think the hardest thing I faced regarding my...

I think the hardest thing I faced regarding my facelift was trying to find surgeon reviews and determine who really was "the best" in Birmingham, AL. I googled and found realself.com, Angies list and other assorted doctor review websites. I discovered many self-proclaimed "best" plastic surgeons in my area at the top of the search results. I decided to go to what I hoped were the top 6 for consults - some free - some fee based. I knew of course to make sure the surgeon was board certified. I do admit I wanted the biggest bang for the buck and wasn't quite sure what I really needed done.

I had a couple interesting experiences. I really did not want a browlift quite frankly after reading so many horror stories and side-effects like "a thousand fleas running across your forehead". My consults included the mid-face lift, brow-lift and other suggestions for dermabrasion, lip plumbing, fat transfer, eyelid surgery and even free lipo as much as I wanted sucked out of my tummy to be used in the lips! The surgeon I finally did select was actually based more on the referral of a friend of a friend and said the price would be the same with or without a browlift so I decided to get one as surely he knew best. He informed me I needed the trichophytic browlift and not the endoscopic so I did a little research on it but quite frankly didn't realize I was going to be cut clear across the top of my forehead. Ouch. Included in my price for a facelift tuck/brow lift my surgeon reduced my elongated ear lobes from a previous facelift, did chin lipo, and scar revision also from a previous facelift years ago. I got a deal. I think.

The other thing I found interesting in my research was the overnight hospital stay versus twilight sleep or local anesthetic. I was rather concerned about this. What if I woke up during surgery because that had happened to me years ago - I totally remember being wide awake and squirming and the surgeon telling me to keep still so he could finish. Well I had the twilight sleep and this time all I can say is I remember getting on the table and being told I would feel a small sting. The next thing I knew 3 hours had passed and my surgery was over. I was not in pain and I was somewhat talkative and wide-awake and very alert. My friend then drove me to the required hotel stay by the clinic. That night she applied cold compresses to my face and gave me the meds as required. The next morning she drove me to the clinic - I had my tubes removed which was surprisingly painless and my husband drove me home.

Here is what I have experienced in the almost 2 weeks since my surgery - bruising, swelling, tightness, numbness and a bit of depression I think from the pain pills. My neck has hurt but pain pills took care of that dull throbbing ache. As I am almost 2 weeks post-op I will post this today with pictures and update probably in a week or two. My forehead was numb but after one week most of the feeling had returned. No pain or tingling. The top of my head is still a little numb. I had 70 staples removed after 1 week and this did not hurt - just a few of them were a bit ouchy and stung. My eyes blacked in the corners by the nose - the bruising otherwise was not too bad except on my neck. But the bruises are taking a long time to fade and are assorted colors now mostly yellow. I bought some Dermablend and it seems I guessed correctly on the color and tried it on one eye to cover a still blackened area - wow coverss great.

My advice is do not eat solid foods and try not to chew much for several days after surgery. Take pain meds whether you need them or not as a preventative if nothing else. I have never taken a sleeping pill in my life. What I discovered was if you take one you will sleep longer - the second morning I woke up at 3 a.m. and stayed up. Better to sleep in. The hardest part is not turning your head - which I kept doing - you are are supposed to turn your body when you look at someone and talk to them. Most important of all don't read too many horror stories on hematomas especially the ones posted here but I must admit I couldn't stop reading! I think I have read everything that could possibly go wrong on every possible procedure ever performed. At this point I am nervous as I have a stapled area in the back of my neck that is not healing properly - looks like a little hole but I am seeing the doc tomorrow. I did not expect the jaw/neck aching so much. I thought after almost 2 weeks the swelling would have gone down more. I know it is too soon to judge my looks but I'm still a bit misshapen. I have actually been sleeping on the couch sitting up. I tried sleeping in bed this way and found myself laying down in bed sleeping on the side of my face - not good.

I am uploading 4 pictures thus far. The first two pictures were actually the before pictures from 2 local surgeons. Picture 3 is my own before picture. These 3 pictures look different but it is still me none-the-less. Picture 4 was take 10 days after surgery. I hope I look more like myself in a week or two. Thanks to all who have posted on this website thus far - I read everything you wrote. If anyone reading this has had a facelift from a Birmingham, AL surgeon I would love to hear from you privately.

Tomorrow will be 7 weeks post-op. I think I look...

Tomorrow will be 7 weeks post-op. I think I look pretty good for a 66 year old senior citizen! This is the last picture I will post. I am still numb at the top of my head. My scars are very noticable especially the ones on the back of my neck. My hair appears thinner on top. The side burns hair may grow back - not sure - there is some hair there. I have no jaw or neck pain - no bruising - very little tightness and maybe some very minor swelling. It is still a bit uncomfortable to sleep on side - especially on ears which are still tender. This face lift did not resolve the wrinkles over the mouth (which I knew it wouldn't) but the crows feet look better and the vertical line between the eyes is not as deep. Sometimes my forehead feels like I am lifting my eyebrows in surprise it but I'm not. Bottom line everything is more/less to be expected. I would absolutely recommend my surgeon for you all in the B'ham area.
Birmingham Facial Plastic Surgeon

You look great!
..you look at least 15 years younger!
My first facelift resulted in some thinning around the incision area. I got a choppy bob and it did grow back.
Ddlb, you look totally awesome. I am having my surgery in three hours. Anyone remember the song "Needles and Pins" by The Searchers later covered by the Ramones? Appropriately, I can't get it out of my head.
" Today , I saw a face;
It was a face I loved and I knew
I had to look away
And get down on my knees
and pra-ay.
And, still it begins-a
Needles and pins-a.."
TTFN
My hair is thinning and fine to begin with and the facelift did not help matters. I don't think I lost any except in the sideburn area (result also of previous facelift). The back of the neck where the scars are does not seem to be growing much. But my hair does not grow fast anyhow. Bottom line it sure didn't help matters - in fact you inspired me to post a picture of my my latest "do"
hi there.I will try to take some pics and send them.another question for you is did you have any hair loss after surgery.mine has gone quite thin now I wonder how long before it will come back.
I had mine done in thailand by a dr.rushapol he was very good.he told me its all a matter of time for healing.
regarding hair loss.. you do mean just at the sight of the incision..correct? all of your hair didn't get thinner?
Hi yes at the site only mostly thin on top of my head more so on one side and around my ears too.just hope it will come back soon.p.
anon2373 - did you ever post a review and pictures? I could not find it. I am especially interested in what you experienced as far as pain behind the ears - who your doctor was etc. I am 8 weeks post-op and have no pain there but it was a bit ouchy for the first 3-4 weeks behind the ears too. I also have scars on my neck but hair covers them - they will fade in time (lots of time) based on my previous facelift - please post full review and pictures!
I am 6 months post op from face lift neck lift eye sugery and brow lift.I am still experiencing quite a bit of pain some days especially behind my ears and on my neck scars which are quite long.I am pleased with results but think I still have a long way to go before all is healed.p
Morning Everyone! It's 6:45 am and I just spent a night tossing/turning and wondering how safe it can possibly be to have 4.5 hrs of surgery and then get up and go home...
During the daytime, I'm positive I want to do this, but during the night I wake up thinking about it and am just plain worried and frightened!!
Pug-If you're worried and you want to have the surgery, then pay for a nurse to monitor you when you leave the plastic surgeon's and overnight the first night. You'll be less anxious, better informed, your meds will be given, your dressings maintained professionally and you'll be monitored by a professional. You'll probably be spending in excess of $10K for surgeon, anaesthesiologist, etc., so why not pop for the additional $300 or so for a nurse and get some sleep? IMHO.
Maybe she'll even give you a massage--get those lymph glands going.
Sounds like a good plan!!
Really?
No, you can be sent home the first night but with a nurse. There is the danger of bleeding internally, etc. I feel safer with a nurse there the first night. The cost is about $300. The cost for an m.d. anaesthesiologist is about $850.
I would feel more comfortable with an anaesthesiologist. I would also check about how many facelifts the plastic surgeon does. I really urge you to go to someone who pretty much specializes in facial surgery, works with an anaesthesiologist and has a nurse supervise your care for the first night.

Around the time of my first facelift in California, a local plastic surgeon sent a woman home after her facelift. The pt was prescribed demerol. She did not have a nurse in attendance. The womman died. Ifound that sobering.
Pardon my keyboard.
Wow... that's really something.. So far, everyone I've spoken with sends you home that night.. out patient type surgery. Am going next week to a place in NC that does it in a hospital.. not sure if they send you home or not.. thanks for the advice.
Just called Upstate Plastic Surgery in Greenville, SC.. recommended by my primary care physician. The docs seem to have great credentials, but I'm concerned the anestetist is a nurse. not a doctor. The woman I was speaking with told me he is terrific and she totally trusts him and, in fact, she just had surgery there (breast augmentation and something else) and he had her out for 5 hours. She said I have nothing tobe concerned about with regard to him b eing a nurse. Not sure about it.
Thanks Eileen! that's all really good advice. Fortunately, I don't smoke and I already know I'm not doing a lifestyle lift. Want to do the real deal, but as you said, I have to be sure I'm going to the right doctor. thanks again! pam
Pugmomof2--
I am having my 2d facelift on Tuesday. I am not using the same surgeon as he has retired and lives across country.

My recommendations on finding a surgeon:

1. Ask your aesthetician, dermatologist or primary care physician for a recommendation based on what they have seen and heard.

2. Interview a number of Board Certified (hopefully double board certified) surgeons, look at their photo galleries, meet their staff, visit their operating room. I looked at hundreds on the internet and interviewed three in person over a year. I knew when I found the right surgeon. He was low-key, confident and careful. Another long-term patient in his foyer on my first consultation told me he was the best and very thorough.

3. A good surgeon will look at you, the condition of your skin, health, etc., and know what to do and most likely use a combination of surgical techniques. It's very enticing to go to the interview with a demand for an SMAS, brow lift, neck plication with liposuction and fat injections for your cheeks, but let the doctor show you in front of the mirror what his/her intended result will look like on your face.

4. Do NOT do a one-hour, lifestyle, threadlift or anything cheap or promising a rapid recovery or extraordinary results.

5. STOP smoking and get very healthy. A good plastic surgeon will not operate if you smoke. Eat clean. The surgeon will require a physical 30 days prior to surgery inclusive of blood tests. Follow your doctor's instructions to a "t."
my surgery took place in a surgery center.the dr. needs excellent marks from the plastic surgery boards.it took me two years once i began consulting different doctors to finally going ahead.it's a huge descision so take your time with the process.
Thanks so much for your quick response. I am really trying to investigate doctors because I know how important that is.. This all started because I'm going to my stepson's wedding next month and I wnet to a plastic surgeon for a Juviderm treatment. He told me he didn't think it would help that much because what I really need is a face lift and my eyelids, which I know is really true.. everything is falling at a rapid rate! So, this idea just started a few days ago, all this facelift stuff is new to me, but I know I need it and I am going to do it. Just want to be sure I find the right person.
Thanks for letting me know you really haven't been in pain..just swelling and bruising. I can live with that.
Did you have yours done in a hospital or his office? thanks so much for your advice! pam