BEWARE OF INVISALIGN!

I hate everything about the invisalign. I speak...

I hate everything about the invisalign. I speak publicly on a daily basis and opted for the invisalign because I felt it would be less invasive. If I wear the invisalign, I stumble over my words. At least with regular braces, people would understand why my mouth was in such pain. I was not told about the scratchy buttons in advance. Nor was I told about the filing that would take place between my teeth. I was told that I would get used to the trays in a few weeks, but I am at twelve weeks, still in pain and see no relief in sight. My gums (which were as close to perfect as one can get) constantly feel like they are on fire. I am in so much pain that I cannot eat regularly so I am exhausted all the time. I must take prescription sleep aids to get any sleep and I take pain killers daily. I highly recommend against the invisalign.

I am going through a bad experience with Invisalign myself. First I just wanted to close my gapped top tooth... Speak to my dentist she told I have to do both top and bottom to fix the problem... My bottom tooth was perfect, and top only the gap bother me... Dentist told me 18month to fix problem... My gap started closing at 10 trays... And at 16 I start having problem with my bottom tooth... They were staring to become crowed in the first 6 tooth and at time I was biting on them... But to make matters worst one of those 6 tooth was not moving with the other so in that area it looks like I have a missing tooth... I have 4 of those bottom tooth that looks like a Skelton head (push-up too far away from the gum... Now at 23 trays my gap is complete close and found out that was my final trays... Told dentist about the problem and she said that it's easily fix... Now she got to remold my tooth again and try to fix this problem... I told her she is not going to filed down my tooth because there is no guarantee I will stick with that bottom retainer....
I too have that burning sensation. I am only on week 2.
When you're in doubt and start to hate what you have to endure when wearing braces and are losing hope just remember how great your teeth will look after the treatment is done and get over it (: !!
Traditional braces are no better in terms of pain. I am using invisalign right now and it has done wonders for me in terms of appearance. The pain for each set of trays shouldn't last more than 2-3 days, unless you are constantly taking them out and putting them back on which results in more pain. Talk to your dentist if the pain is beyond unbearable as constantly as you seem to describe it. The pain existent since your teeth are MOVING hence the trays are doing its job, but if the pain is this traumatizing, the dentist might have to reconsider more trays for slower shifting. Also, your personal experience is different from everyone else's, so advising against invisalign is quite misleading to others who might benefit greatly from them, like I have. Good luck!
Invisalign does hurt. When you first put them in, it hurts. Then after a while its okay. But when you take them out to eat and put them back in; It is very painful once again. I wish I didn't have to take them out to eat because as long as I have them in I'm okay. But taking them in and out is filled with soo much pain and discomfort.
I am 24 weeks in the Invisalign process, and I hate it. At the beginning, the trays were incredibly difficult to remove, (I definitely recommend purchasing an Outie for this), and I was in a great deal of pain. The buttons do cause sores inside the mouth. The worst at this point is that my bottom teeth, which have never been crooked, are now crooked. My midlines no longer match. I am debating whether to seek a new orthodontist (an expensive proposition since this one has already been paid), or just stopping the procedure at this point, crooked teeth and all. I am miserable.
It makes me hungry for some reason. At first I had my doubt but 6 months into it I really believe that is the best decision I could have made as an adult. I love the results so far. I'm on tray 11, I get slur speech and what not but everytime I see my smile I stop giving a flying fuck about the side effects. When I need to go out to someplace fancy I removed it for a few hours. If I had metal I wouldn't have been able to do it
I went through the same "Hate" that you describe but now I only have about 5 weeks left and my teeth look great. About 8 months into my treatment I asked my ortho to change to metal and he talked me out of it. I barely left my house for 3 months because I was constantly slurring my words and they give bad breath so I was embarrassed to talk to anyone. Get through the pain and it will be ok.

I'm on tray 8 and aside from some discomfort when putting in new trays I am LOVING my treatment. If you are in that much pain GO BACK TO YOUR DENTIST, SOMETHING IS WRONG. Orthodontics is going to be uncomfortable whether you do regular wire braces or Invisalign, but it shouldn't be that bad. Before you do one or the other check out a few different places. I found a great place and they have been wonderful.

I got invisalign also, and it hurt sooooooo bad.
Something is wrong with your Invisalign or dentist. I am on third tray with none of the problems your describe. My tongue was uncomfortable first 4 days - then got used to it. I feel pressure first few hours for each new tray and a little tight taking them off-on first day or day of each new tray. I strongly suggest you get a second opinion from a reputable Invisalign orthodontist.
how long was it before anyone started seeing a result?
Negligence and greed.....
oh..well good luck with the trial
I am going to trial this week...suing the dentist who proposed Invisalign for me and resulted in loosing my teeth. BEWARE!
oh no thats terrible, what caused that to that happen??
Negligence....
I have filed a complaint with the Department of Health Professions against my dentist after he attempted to correct my teeth spaces using Invisalign. I had a total of 17 upper trays and 27 bottom trays. I stayed in the upper trays for about 3 months once completed to catch up with my lower trays per my dentist. Well the upper trays became worn and had holes in them which caused a bite problem and eventually led to TMJD. The dentist was recommended, by the his Dental Society, to pay full price for me to have the procedure completed with another dentist and he agreed, but then backed out. Now I have filed a complaint with DHP and eventually Department of Health and Human Services. He is currently being investigated. I chose this route instead of a lawyer, because I didn't want to lose any money. Any recommendations.
Kitty,
With the buttons, the trays are harder to get off. Without the buttons, I got used to pulling the trays off by grabbing the back of each one with a fingernail (at the last tooth, on the outside). Using the same method once the buttons were on, I split one of the trays because it wanted to hang onto the buttons on my front teeth. I learned to take them off by getting a fingernail under the tray at the last tooth and one under a the tray at a front tooth. It eventually became second nature and I could do it in one easy movement. Everybody's buttons are located differently, so just experiment until you find the way that's easiest for you. I tried the plastic tools that are made for this purpose without much success.

For cleaning, I used Retainer Brite (you can get it on Amazon) and once a week, instead of the Retainer Brite, I'd put 2 oz. of bleach in a 10 oz cup and fill with warm water. Soak the trays in either for 20 minutes and they're good to go. Be sure to rinse them after the bleaching if you go that way.
mickey,
im bound to break them at some stage, which leads me to another question i didnt think about, if they do break are they just replaced or do you have to pay for them?
Kitty,
I never broke mine. I merely tore the upper tray halfway through. I limped along with the torn tray for another week or 10 days because I knew I was going back to get my next set of trays. I don't know if you have to pay for a new set. The way I was set up after the first couple of sets was, I would be given the next 3 sets so I only had to go back in every 6 weeks. Under those circumstances, if you break a tray, then just go back to the previous tray as a spare. It will keep your teeth from moving too far back. I'm pretty sure that the trays are made by Invisalign, not your local dentist, so if you ordered a replacement tray, it would be at least a week before you'd get it. By that time, you'd be close to moving on to the next tray anyway.

The trays are pretty hard to break. Mine tore because I was trying to pull the back end loose and out while the tray was still hanging onto a button on my front tooth.
cool thanks for your all your help :)
mickey
thanks for the info, i wasnt actually told about the buttons until i got my set the other day! the doc said he has to weld them on didnt really think much of it untill i started to think about it, i have just googled images of them to see what they actually look like. not as bad as were my imagination was taking me!! but i can see that they will be a pain, so yes must keep in mind why i want to put myself through this tourture!!
Kitty,
You can snack if you want. Take out the trays, snack, clean out as much of the food residue as possible with liquid, put the trays back in. Same thing with gum if you like to chew. I just finished my 10 month program. I'm glad I did it. You're not going to void the warranty (or effect) if you only have them in 19 hours any given day instead of 21 or whatever the current guideline is. It's a marathon, not a sprint. It takes a while to understand that. As for the pain, the first 2 days are the most painful with each new set of trays. It gets much better after the initial tooth movement each time.
Thanks mickey! and the pain has gone now, just hurts a bit when i eat but thats ok i can handle that! :) going back to get my next set in 8 weeks, curious about the button things though and have not heard very good feedback about them.....