Ultherapy Hurts! - Beverly Hills, CA

Ultherapy hurts!! I was not offered pain meds and...

Ultherapy hurts!! I was not offered pain meds and felt like I was being carved up with an exacto knife (and I have a high tolerance for pain). Had the brows and eyes done. Still tender three weeks later and I get shooting pains in my face whether I touch it or not.

I'm concerned I have some nerve damage - don't know if that's even possible - don't care about results anymore. I feel Ulthera has misreprented the level of patient discomfort. I see a lot of positive reviews on this site (mostly by doctors selling a service) and wish the rest of you fantastic results with minimal discomfort. Ask a lot of questions and have your doctor prescribe pain meds!!

PS I'd rather not share the cost but was unable to leave the field blank so I picked an average number based on costs I found on various web sites.

I had ulterapy done for the second time five days ago. The first time I experienced minor pain but did see a bit improvement. The second time was a nightmare. They were more aggressive with the treatment and shot my face up with lidocaine so it would be bearable. I had a bad reaction to this drug, but managed to finish the procedure. The worst part is that I now have nerve damage. Like the prior poster, my lower lip is now uneven. The doctor assures me that this will heal, which I hope is the case. I would NEVER recommend this treatment. The pain and the risk factor are much more than promoted. Stay away from it.
Thanks, San Jose! I am happy to hear that your treatment went better the second time! I will look for your post, too. : )
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Birdchirp, I apologize for any misunderstanding on this thread about treatments and assumptions. I've removed any references to the misunderstanding. It is our intent and passion to provide an open and supportive community. Alicia

Hi Sera99, somewhere in this Ulthera section, I've posted my own separate post about my results and a second treatment I had done. All details, in depth, are there. My second treatment, btw, was not that painful at all. So, depends on the operator of the gadget...well, and your pain tolerance ;) . So, though my first treatment was excruciating. My second was just fine :) .
It has been a while since I checked in on this thread and I am curious to hear what your results may be after time has passed; I didn't find the treatment to be useful -- for me -- whatsoever. I am quite frankly bummed that I wasted my money on it, but I guess that is the price that we pay for vanity. : ) I hope that your own results were more rewarding than mine.
Depends on what you mean by 'nerve damage'. You did not really explain what actually occurs when you yawn, smile excessively. If you read the comments above yours, you will see I explained what I thought might be nerve damage and the subsequent outcome of my own experience.
Nerve Damage

I had ultherapy 3 days ago. The nerve to my lower lip is damaged, fortunately, incomplete but still noticeable if I yawn or smile excessively. I am hoping it is transient. Anyone else experience this?
Same thing with me. Did this get better with time? Very interested to hear how this turned out for you. Thanks.
Hi, Marketing1

I have had a few Ulthera treatments: one upper brow, one lower face. I have to say, I am very happy that I did not pay full price for my treatments, because I can notice no difference whatsoever. I waited the obligatory time between my treatments and even went in for photos every three months, but the photos themselves really showed no improvement over the course of the year since I had the first one. I am honestly a little surprised at the popularity of the procedure, as it is excruciatingly painful and expensive, and (for me) yields no tangible results. I, too, wish there was some kind of money back guarantee. But I guess that is the price I paid for vanity. : )
I can only say I hope ulthera worked for others. I can not say I am pleased with my results, as I expected to notice some kind of improvement. I wish I could get a refund or credit towards some other treatment. Argggg - paid $2500 for ulthera and $400 for a PDT they recommended (photo dynamic therapy). Good luck.
How are your results as of today July 15? Hope you look great!
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

How are you feeling now? Have the shooting nerve pains gone away?

Please let us know.
My doctor did give me 2 medications to help with the pain. Thank goodness. I just kept thinking of the possible results. It has been 1 month and I slightly see results. I was disappointed that they could not do my forehead that is the only place I have wrinkles so far. I can't wait to see more improvements.

Do you mind sharing your provider's name?

Hi,

I had Ulthera about 3 months ago in LA, but I know that he also does it in Beverly Hills. It was painful around the jaw area. Did your doc give you any medication to help with the pain? Mine did and it helped me a lot. Don't expect to see results until about 2 months later, that's when I started really seeing results

Tustin
amy do you mind sharing who your doctor is i live in los angeles also
I know of at least one Dr. who was offering huge incentives to their patients for offering glowing reviews for their clinics.
I am curious if you are referring to the clinic I am going to on Friday to have the procedure done? I scheduled in early December and am paying a huge sum for a full face. Hmmmmm!
I myself find it very disturbing that this "device" has been on the market for over a year (Sept 2009) and all of a sudden I log on and there are 10 positive reviews with a %100 "worth it" rating and it is suddely #1 on the top procedure. I feel the company that sells Ulthera is trying to use this site as a marketing tool rather than to let us patients decide for ourselves. If Ulthera was so phenominal we would have heard about it sooner rather than 10 positive reviews within 24 hours out of the blue after a year of appoval, VERY transparent if you ask me.

Mark
Thanks Britt. Going back to see the doc in two weeks. My experience can't be the norm. I found this site while searching the internet for answers and took the opportunity to vent. I will provide an update re the healing. Maybe I will have such fantastic results that I'll forget about the pain :).

Have a good evening.

Hopefully the results will be that good, and it's OK a lot of people vent here :)

Thanks you too have a good evening

-Britt

I had a very similar and painful experience when I had my brows done (and I, too, usually have a high pain tolerance). I had the lower face done recently and took some painkillers, which made the experience completely different.

Good luck with your healing!
I had Ulthera done about four months ago - full face and neck. First of all, when I researched, I found many found their face painful to touch for up to three weeks afterward. Mine was painful up to two weeks, but mildly so. Also, everything under my chin and neck went completely numb for about three weeks total, when the feeling started to come back first in the lower part of my neck and then upward toward my chin until I believe, if I haven't regained ALL feeling, it's darned close. So, those are the things I experienced. Also, I had read a few reviews of others who also experienced this numbness. I'm glad, because had I not read those reviews, I would have suspected nerve damage. But, it's okay.