Over 50, Face Lift Not What I Expected and Pulled Too Tightly

I went for a consult because i am over 50, but i...

i went for a consult because i am over 50, but i looked beautiful though a little laxity around lower jaw. the doctor insisted that because of my age (although i looked 15 years younger due to thermage treatments and good lifestyle) i had to do something so he insisted i had a facelift.

I do not look like myself at all. he pushed all my facial tissue to my cheekbones and because i didn't have enough loose skin, he pulled my face too much. I feel suffocated around my neck and very bulky around my midface and too thin in the lower face although initially i had a square face and strong jaws and now i look like an egg much fatter in the middle. i know some swelling will go down, but my two sides are not equal, the left being an inch more swollen than the right. what should i do?

Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon

i was not sure about the surgery and when the office manager called to ask if i want to pay for the next day, i told her i wasn't sure. she said"hold on" and put the doctor through. I told him i look beautiful and don't want any major change and i want to look like myself. he said i would look exactly like myself, but well rested and refreshed. i particularly asked that my looks not be changed. he was very forceful in convincing me to have a facelift and necklift instead of a minor procedure. he never explained that i will not look like myself and that i won't be able to return to work in 2 weeks. I am devastated, especially beacause i was so beautiful before and because i cannot go back to work and in society. i look like a freak and consider moving to another place.

I'm sorry, ladies, I thought this way a lifestyles lifts page. I had one of those and boy it didn't go well, I trusted them and they've really ruined so many people. And independent plastic surgeons out there have to be so checked out, it's really hard to do I guess. It scares me to try to find someone to fix my face after what LSL did to me. Good luck to all of you. I hope your healing continues to go well.
Good luck in April, ask your Dr. about horizontal lines along the jawline that can form with a 2nd procedure, I have them now especially when I look down extending from the earlobe. I did not have anything pulled up above the sideburns so I believe that contributed to the pulled look I kinda have/ I use Bareminerals foundation it seems to work nicely-if I have anything else done Im going to Newport beach..any suggestions on Drs??
Hello ladies. I think I'm the one who starte this original chain back in 2009 or 2010 - can't remember. I had the lower facelift and wasn't happy about it, especially along the jawline as it was lumpy and bumpy. Also, my skin wasn't very tight. So after complaining to the surgeon, 6 months later he tried fat injections. Took some fat out of my stomach and put in my jawline and cheeks. It looked pretty good for about 3 months and then I think most of the fat was absorbed. My jawline still bothers me as it is still lumpy so I'm going back in and getting what my doctor calls a "tuck up". Basically just going to pull up and tighten my skin. I'm hoping that this will smooth out the jawline. I was very clear with the doctor what I wanted and what my expectations are. I will keep you all posted, procedure to take place in April.
You're using the same dr. that messed up in the first place ? A LSL dr???
I am so sorry this happened to you I have had a similar experience myself, wherein I did not want anyone to see me because I looked so different. Doctors are liars and tell you what they think you want to hear, they just want your money and do not care about you. Also, ignore all of the people who ask you to post photos, there thoughts are not for you, just their morbid curiosity. Don't post anything.
Hi, it's good to hear from you both. Do the lowered glands go back to normal with time? I have a cold and in the morning it looks like I'm smuggling walnuts in my neck. It subsides a bit during the day but sometimes they seem to enlarge again for no reason. I continue to feel my neck was pulled way too tight in the first place, but nothing can be done about that now. I saw an old friend last month and I think she also had some work done. I want to approach her to share experiences but don't want to overstep and offend her. I wonder if she suspects that I had surgery as well. It's nice that on this site we can feel free to discuss our experiences without fear of judgement. I hope that eventually we will all love the way we look.
It's funny you said you never noticed before; neither had I! But last time I was at the airport I started noticing this person and that person with the submental "scoop" and the lowered glands or the corset band. How wild! However, for every one I noticed there could have been a dozen that I missed. Maybe the not so obvious folks were past the 2 year mark. That's would be nice. Still, so true, kb250r, it's not a perfect science.
Thank you both so much for your encouraging comments.
Its true, not sure if the mental anguish was worse than the actual pain of recovery. Its nice to speak to others in the same situation. My family is tired of hearing about it. (cant blame them)I hope as time passes all of us are glad we did it! You know I never noticed facelifts on people before I got one, but now (especially on TV) I really can tell when someone has had "work" done. Its kinda depressing..
oh well its not a perfect science
I'm one year since my original facelift and 9 months since the revision for jaw and neck (I had the same plastic surgeon revise the lift 3 1/2 months after the original; a bit early from the 6 months they say but it was obviously not working). During the first 6 weeks post op revision I thought I looked much better but then the lumpiness and tightness and neck bands looked pretty awful. Now, I understand the concept of patience. I can feel and see now, at 9 months, I still have some swelling but as the puffiness fades and my skin sags again I actually look much better than before the lift! And, kb250r, I also had chipmunk cheeks and a lumpy jawline but it is actually resolving! My neck is still tight; I think it's scar tissue. If you check the Real Self doctor comments to different questions you'll see to some they say 6 weeks to heal, to others 6 months, and some say that 2 years is not abnormal. Gotta hang on for the ride! Best wishes.
Read your posting NHaven. I am having a revision for my jaw and neck in 10 days ( 4 months after my original surgery) could you please advise me as far as recovery for your revision? My recovery was not too bad and I am concerned it may be worse going through it second time. Are you happy with your results now? Hope so!
Once again, you're using the LSL doctors that messed you up?
Wow, you're like me, I only waited four months for the revision. Originally, I went in for a neck lift, but was shocked that the doctor didn't do it! He took a little tuck under the chin but nothing was done behind the ear into the neckline and no skin was removed. The revision actually went much better because he undermined and secured the neck muscle. That caused a much more secure, less painful feeling. Since I knew what to expect I was comfortable with the drains and sutures and all that. I already had the recliner set up and soft foods prepared for the week. Overall, the revision was much easier than the initial. The only difficult thing, he tightened my neck so aggressively with the revision that I felt choked. Don't be afraid to ask for ativan, if what you feel is anxiety and not pain. I'm glad I did the revision. It's not fantastic, but definitely better. Did your doc do anything to your neck and jaw the first time around? If it was just an inadequate tightening he may have to open up the original incisions in the temple area and around the ear. Best wishes to you!
well, that is encouraging to hear that it went so well. I guess we at least know what to expect! Are you glad overall, that you had work done? Sometimes I wonder, but I also think it is easy to forget what bothered me about my face and I have to look at pictures and then I think "Oh, yeah, I do look better." My doctor did a neck lift, and neck liposuction. He also did a jawline tuck, no actual lift. He just did not remove enough skin so I have some slight jowling left. He is going to add a midface lift this time and only charging me for the anesthesia. So, basically a revision and a new procedure added. What were your original procedures exactly?
I did not use a LSL doctor. I have alot of confidence in my surgeon. I don't think it is an exact science. I take it you did not have a good experience?
NHaven you should really put this in one of their commercials with Debbie Boone!
What a lot of pain and healing you have left ahead of you of further procedures that you have to go thru now, and to be charged for it too boot. They should be paying you! So many to redo and new clients to lure in. They are very busy! Tell me please that you have been to an independent ABCPS to discuss alternatives and to address if this is what you really need. All the best with all of this.
kbarbee,
Was your original experience with LSL?
Hi, I had a revision 9 months after original facelift. One side was different than the other and I had a big dent under my chin not to mention a pulled lumpiness that was not going away. I went back to orig. Dr. because the fee was waived (within 1 year) just had to pay for anesthesia etc. here I am 7 months later. I look ok in pictures but I have lines along my jaw line and chipmunk cheeks(Ive always had full cheeks)I just think I get 2nd looks from people still. Im not completely happy as I thought I would be..still hoping it all settles down and looks more natural soon. and yes still paying it off too!
I wish you all the best. I know healing takes a lot of time. I also look OK in most pictures but "beat up" looking in certain lighting and mirrors. Perhaps a lot of the self consciousness we feel is because we have just exaggerated our flaws. I heard that after facial surgery we look at ourselves with a mental magnifying glass. You probably look much nicer than you think you do. I don't know what was worse, the physical discomfort or the mental anguish I experienced during this ordeal. I only know I did not agonize over my marionette lines the way I have agonized over the results of this surgery. Thanks for your reply. It really helps to have support from others. The Doctor tells me that I need to wait one year to 18 months to see final results and for the tightness and discoloration to get better.
Hi NHaven,
Thanks for your acknoledgement. The prolonged tightness surprises me too. I actually went on Neurontin from about 12 weeks post to 17 weeks post.
That helped ease the pain. I still feel it but it's not nearly as intense. I also feel pretty boney along my cheek bones. It's not a thrilling result, that's for sure.
I would never recommend a FL to anybody.
I haven't heard of anybody getiing touch ups between 6-12 months. Would you go back to the same doc if you did a touch up?
julie
Hi NHaven,
I am now 5 months out and way better. I felt choked and tight just like you and started to see a little skin sag at the neck at 3 1/2 month. Now at 5 months I'm feeling a lot less choked and tight and the loose skin hasn't gotten any worse. I still don't think it was worth it but at least I'm not in pain anymore. Uncomfortable sometimes but nothing like the first 4 months. They were horrible. Felt much like you. Gets better. I was pretty disappointed with the whole thing but am better about accepting it and not having chronic pain anymore helps a lot.
Peace,
julie
Thanks for your reply. Hey, the skin sagging didn't get worse, that's a plus! I know everyone responds differently but the prolonged choking feeling surprises me. Glad to hear yours eventually got to the point that the panic passed. Hope that's my story,too. Funny, I thought I'd be one of the people that "was just thrilled!" If you look closely at their pre and post pictures, though, many have been taken at about 4-6 weeks when the jawline looks great because of the swelling. I think a little residual skin sag is pretty common and that's why many people get a touch up between 6 and 12 months post.

I know I'm jumping into this discussion months later, but wanted to say it how unprepared I was (all of us for that matter) for the unexpected choking feeling and prolonged tightness thsat occurs after facelift and necklift. I am nine months post op and still have that pulling feeling under my jaw and at my neck. It comes and goes with varied severity but is almost always there. I feel like I am going crazy sometimes but I don't want to tell my family, especially because all of this was self inflicted. I was very pretty before and only wanted a little refreshing around the mouth and jaw due to marionette lines. I never thought I needed a necklift or eye bleph, but let myself get talked into three invasive procedures. I have post op staining under my eyes and my jawline feels unatural to me because my jowl was raised above the bone. I pray every day that at one year my face and neck will relax and that my skin tome will go back to normal. I had very good skin for my age as well and now I feel I've even ruined that. Although I am hearing post op stories worse than mine, I am definately not one of the "thrilled to have done it" people and every time I write the big monthly check to pay this off I wish I could take it all back and did non-surgical things to improve myself. I would love to hear from anyone who is a year post op and has improvement, as this seems to be the magical time when we see results. (Actually my doctor now says it could take 18 months!)

I am 3 1/2 months post op face and neck and still feel choked and tight (the muscle is tight but the skin is starting to sag). Someone, tell me this passes! I can't imagine living this way forever! I fluctuate from depression to panic. It helps greatly to wear a chin strap at night.
dear kb250r,
So sorry. I can relate to your feelings. Although it's 9 weeks post surgery for me and 9 months for you I feel drained from all the physical and mental anguish as well. i'm thinking of going for another opinion too.

You are not too sensitive. It's your face not his!!

P.S. What is a FL patient? I had a neck/lower face lift.
I deeply regret having done it.

Wld. like to get a group together for support. Perhaps we cld. meet at at coffee shop sometime.

Anybody have any ideas. I live in the San Jose area.

How many would be interested?