Upper Lip Lift with Dr. Randal Haworth - Beverly Hills, CA

It's really too soon for me to post my final...

It's really too soon for me to post my final opinion on my surgery I just had 3 days ago with Dr. Randal Haworth since results won't be known for quite awhile due to swelling, however Real Self insists I make a choice in order to write a review of my experience. After a couple of more weeks I will give my final review based upon physical outcome of the procedure but so far, so good. It has been an entirely positive experience at this stage.

I am posting pics day by day. I did feel a lot of pain the first day and really needed help moving around at home for atleast a few hours due to the anesthesia wearing off, but I was prescribed pain meds, anti inflammatory meds and meds to prevent infection and nausea so I was pretty well armed for recovery. I did not want any solid foods for the first day through third day following surgery due to the chewing required which hurt as it pulled my upper lip so I stuck to nonfat yogurt, and protein shakes made in my blender with ice, fruit and protein powder ( this makes up 75% of my regular diet anyway). I used a straw and bit the straw with my back teeth in order to swallow since my upper lip had no movement. I just used my back teeth to bite the straw which I have been doing now for 3 full days and it's fine. I sleep sitting up with pillows and take pain pills 2-3x/day since I do need them ( party because of other facial surgeries I had done same day..a lower blepharoplasty with fat transfer on my eyes). I'm doing well.

Before Pic

This is the before pic of my lips.

Before pic of my upper lip

1 day following surgery of upper lip lift

3 days following upper lip lift surgery

4 days post op

Finally feeling better...still taking pain med before bedtime. Sleep upright with pillows all night. Still on a diet of protein smoothies I drink with a straw used between back teeth, and also yogurt. No chewing (hurts, puts tension on stitches). Scar still looks raised, almost hypertrophic, however Dr. Haworth provided paperwork indicating a free of charge kenalog shot and/or C02 laser treatment should a hypertrophic (raised, thick) visible scar appear so I am ok. I am not working right now which is why I chose to time this procedure to allow as much time as needed to heal and look as good as possible.

5 days post op, starting to look good

Feeling a lot better. Still hiding out in the house. Protein shakes, no real chewing food other than very ripe, soft fruit. No need for pain pills anymore. Sleep upright. Stitches coming out tomorrow. I also had a lower blepharoplasty with fat transfer to eye area so my face is extra swollen. Stopped icing after the first 3 days, moved onto warm washcloth compresses several times per day. Scar still raised.

Day 6

Going in to have stitches removed today and to show what is looking like a possible hypertrophic scar under my nose. I know the doctor has treatments for this, if that is what I am seeing.
I'll update once I see Dr. Haworth, after I hear his opinion on how the scar looks raised and thick.

Trying on lipstick post op one week for first time

Dr. Haworth removed my upper lip lift stitches under nose yesterday on 6th day. Hurt a bit to remove them. He said my scar is not hypertrophic and looks good for 6 days, and that it is just swelling that will go down to nothing. Symmetry with center of nostrils and cupids bow has improved a lot. I go back in one month for a look at my total face with swelling reduced. Went out in public first time today but still very swollen in nose area by about 75%. My nose is huge right now from procedure, no sensation in nostril region at all right now and cannot move upper lip when I speak just yet. It's frozen for now but will improve over time. Check out my new mouth!! :) :)

10 days post op- nose scar has gone down to almost nothing

2 weeks post op--chewing food

Most lip swelling is gone now, other than cupid's bow and area just above that surrounding nostrils. Very stiff and numb there. Nostrils and tip of nose swollen and hard.
Muscle function of upper lip still not working well... Upper lip does not meet lower lip to chew with mouth closed just yet..talking with letters 'b' or 'm', for example, look very funny right now. Looking forward to the healing...told it will take 4 months for full function of mouth to return. Scar is minimal... No one would see it, even without makeup up close.

Almost 4 weeks post op, scar turning pink, nostrils still VERY swollen

Nostrils are still VERY swollen..almost exactly the same as the first week post op. This is normal for this procedure as muscle hemming was used, so the internal area of the nose near the incision site, and the sides of the nostrils are all very hard, numb and swollen. Scar as turned pink and needs to be covered with makeup and sunblock. Going in on August 16 for post op look by Dr. Haworth and will see if I can get the C02 laser treatment they offer to smooth it out and also IPL to reduce the redness. It is free according to the paperwork I received.
Really looking forward to my nostrils going down and not looking so wonky and asymmetrical. Post op care explained it would take up to 4 months to see final result.

13 weeks post op and looking great

Well, it's been 13 weeks since my surgery July 9, 2013. The doctor's office said it would take up to 16 weeks for final results to be seen and that all should look back to normal with the improvements before that and it does look great. In this time, I have had two follow up visits of getting C02 lasered to the incision site under my nose by the doctor which is included free of charge in the procedure on an as needed basis. I go back for a final time for C02 later this month over the incision site. It wasn't really that bad to begin with and not really noticeable at all, even without makeup except for one area on the side of my nose which with the C02 has helped it a lot.
I did have issues of the internal suture threads popping out to the surface in the form of what looked like a small pimple that created a pus like tiny amount of oozing (gross, I know), but to anyone looking, it just looked like a very tiny pimple. The doctor was able to detect this immediately and with some numbing on each visit spread about 6 wks apart when each one showed up out of the blue, he pulled them out and they came out very easily and the pimple/oozing disappeared by the very next day.
The C02 lasering was so easy and quick (within minutes) that I was able to apply makeup to it within a couple of hours and go to a concert with my boyfriend who didn't even know I had anything done in the first place..he just thinks I look really good regardless.
My toothshow has decreased as the upper lip has fallen a bit but it is ok because I have very pouty lips now when my mouth is open and my upper teeth are still seen quite a bit. It looks really great.

Very happy with the results, highly recommend this procedure to look a little younger and more attractive. It is actually a pretty subtle procedure if done properly and no one really knows you had anything done as Dr. Haworth made the scar so undetectable. I also have full movement of my upper lip now and have had it back by about 2 1/2 months' to 3 months' time. I still have a little stiffness at the incision site directly under my nostrils and sometimes they still look a little swollen and assymetrical when I wake up in the morning due to laying on my back to sleep at night, but it all goes down by the afternoon and it not noticeable.

One year later

I'll post pics soon but the swelling in my nostrils has gone way down to normal. There is no visible scar at all. My own close friends see me in person did not even know that I had anything done, other than to say that I look great. I have a small flaw which one nostril being slightly higher than the other, but it's not a big deal.

I've been harassed by Dr. Haworth haters on another website.

One year later exactly

One year later, my swelling on my nostrils has disappeared. It took a long time and jumping to conclusions about the end result before allowing your face to fully heal (esp the nose which takes up to a year), is a mistake.
I am posting these pics as I have been attacked by someone posing as several people on another website, ripping my results, saying they are mediocre to trash Dr. H. My nose at one point had asymmetry in healing, but not anymore. My nostrils stayed wide at the base for about 9 months. No longer. I do have the upper middle part of one nostril that has a peak in it, unlike the other HOWEVER I have had TWO prior nose surgeries from TWO DIFF doctors to narrow the tip so I need to clarify that here in case there is a connection.

one year later

Let my photos speak for themselves

A picture is worth a thousand words. You can see my before, during, and after pics to decide based upon FACT, whether my results look good to you. I am thrilled with my result. I have olive skin and am prone to pigmenting but have ZERO scar and ZERO pigmenting. Dr Haworth gave me 3-4 free post op appts at his suggestion, to check on me and did lasering 3x on the incision site which comes as part of the post op care for this procedure without extra cost.
I have read the baloney suggesting that because my review is positive, I must have been paid or received compensation which is a lie. I posted my experience and satisfaction for a job well done. Period.

And I have been stalked, by user TMI because I asked why a poster on another site did not have a clear straight on face shot showing his face prior to surgery within a reasonable timeframe (pics were 10-20 years before surgery). I did not say anyone posted fake pics as TMI stated. I was then told my rests were mediocre, compared to an ugly painting, and more, by TMI for which the site removed his diatribe. At that time, he came over here to post on this thread, calling me names and Realsf intervened and removed them.
Like I said, my pics show a great result. I am sorry Dr H has to deal with this garbage.
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon

He is very nice, professional, kind and really takes time to answer all questions and concerns. There are doctors who have artistic ability, rather than merely a scientific skillset and I sensed in my consultation that Dr. Haworth is the former. I really liked consulting with him, and he was the second doctor I consulted with on this procedure (the first was Dr. Jason Diamond, in Beverly Hills who told me he was trained in lip lift procedures by Dr. Haworth so I decided to go straight to the source instead.). He spent atleast an hour with me in my consult, plus another 30 mins or so in my pre op discussing what we would be doing, and another 30 mins or so right before surgery, marking me and measuring. He called me the night of my surgery to check on me as well, and had me email pics to show how I was healing since I was not able to go into his office the morning after surgery which he preferred, so he could see my other procedure's healing (I also had a lower blepharoplasty with fat transfer as I am 46 years old). He emailed me back immediately and let me know I was healing fine. I am scheduled to have my stitches removed on Monday. My surgery was on the 9th, stitches which were not the dissolvable kind, are being removed 6 days after surgery. As you can see from my photos, he really did a miraculous job. No visible scar at all in just 10 days post op.