Upper Lip Lift with Dr. Randal Haworth - Beverly Hills, CA

It's really too soon for me to post my final...

It's really too soon for me to post my final opinion on my surgery I just had 3 days ago with Dr. Randal Haworth since results won't be known for quite awhile due to swelling, however Real Self insists I make a choice in order to write a review of my experience. After a couple of more weeks I will give my final review based upon physical outcome of the procedure but so far, so good. It has been an entirely positive experience at this stage.

I am posting pics day by day. I did feel a lot of pain the first day and really needed help moving around at home for atleast a few hours due to the anesthesia wearing off, but I was prescribed pain meds, anti inflammatory meds and meds to prevent infection and nausea so I was pretty well armed for recovery. I did not want any solid foods for the first day through third day following surgery due to the chewing required which hurt as it pulled my upper lip so I stuck to nonfat yogurt, and protein shakes made in my blender with ice, fruit and protein powder ( this makes up 75% of my regular diet anyway). I used a straw and bit the straw with my back teeth in order to swallow since my upper lip had no movement. I just used my back teeth to bite the straw which I have been doing now for 3 full days and it's fine. I sleep sitting up with pillows and take pain pills 2-3x/day since I do need them ( party because of other facial surgeries I had done same day..a lower blepharoplasty with fat transfer on my eyes). I'm doing well.

Before Pic

This is the before pic of my lips.

Before pic of my upper lip

1 day following surgery of upper lip lift

3 days following upper lip lift surgery

4 days post op

Finally feeling better...still taking pain med before bedtime. Sleep upright with pillows all night. Still on a diet of protein smoothies I drink with a straw used between back teeth, and also yogurt. No chewing (hurts, puts tension on stitches). Scar still looks raised, almost hypertrophic, however Dr. Haworth provided paperwork indicating a free of charge kenalog shot and/or C02 laser treatment should a hypertrophic (raised, thick) visible scar appear so I am ok. I am not working right now which is why I chose to time this procedure to allow as much time as needed to heal and look as good as possible.

5 days post op, starting to look good

Feeling a lot better. Still hiding out in the house. Protein shakes, no real chewing food other than very ripe, soft fruit. No need for pain pills anymore. Sleep upright. Stitches coming out tomorrow. I also had a lower blepharoplasty with fat transfer to eye area so my face is extra swollen. Stopped icing after the first 3 days, moved onto warm washcloth compresses several times per day. Scar still raised.

Day 6

Going in to have stitches removed today and to show what is looking like a possible hypertrophic scar under my nose. I know the doctor has treatments for this, if that is what I am seeing.
I'll update once I see Dr. Haworth, after I hear his opinion on how the scar looks raised and thick.

Trying on lipstick post op one week for first time

Dr. Haworth removed my upper lip lift stitches under nose yesterday on 6th day. Hurt a bit to remove them. He said my scar is not hypertrophic and looks good for 6 days, and that it is just swelling that will go down to nothing. Symmetry with center of nostrils and cupids bow has improved a lot. I go back in one month for a look at my total face with swelling reduced. Went out in public first time today but still very swollen in nose area by about 75%. My nose is huge right now from procedure, no sensation in nostril region at all right now and cannot move upper lip when I speak just yet. It's frozen for now but will improve over time. Check out my new mouth!! :) :)

10 days post op- nose scar has gone down to almost nothing

2 weeks post op--chewing food

Most lip swelling is gone now, other than cupid's bow and area just above that surrounding nostrils. Very stiff and numb there. Nostrils and tip of nose swollen and hard.
Muscle function of upper lip still not working well... Upper lip does not meet lower lip to chew with mouth closed just yet..talking with letters 'b' or 'm', for example, look very funny right now. Looking forward to the healing...told it will take 4 months for full function of mouth to return. Scar is minimal... No one would see it, even without makeup up close.

Almost 4 weeks post op, scar turning pink, nostrils still VERY swollen

Nostrils are still VERY swollen..almost exactly the same as the first week post op. This is normal for this procedure as muscle hemming was used, so the internal area of the nose near the incision site, and the sides of the nostrils are all very hard, numb and swollen. Scar as turned pink and needs to be covered with makeup and sunblock. Going in on August 16 for post op look by Dr. Haworth and will see if I can get the C02 laser treatment they offer to smooth it out and also IPL to reduce the redness. It is free according to the paperwork I received.
Really looking forward to my nostrils going down and not looking so wonky and asymmetrical. Post op care explained it would take up to 4 months to see final result.

13 weeks post op and looking great

Well, it's been 13 weeks since my surgery July 9, 2013. The doctor's office said it would take up to 16 weeks for final results to be seen and that all should look back to normal with the improvements before that and it does look great. In this time, I have had two follow up visits of getting C02 lasered to the incision site under my nose by the doctor which is included free of charge in the procedure on an as needed basis. I go back for a final time for C02 later this month over the incision site. It wasn't really that bad to begin with and not really noticeable at all, even without makeup except for one area on the side of my nose which with the C02 has helped it a lot.
I did have issues of the internal suture threads popping out to the surface in the form of what looked like a small pimple that created a pus like tiny amount of oozing (gross, I know), but to anyone looking, it just looked like a very tiny pimple. The doctor was able to detect this immediately and with some numbing on each visit spread about 6 wks apart when each one showed up out of the blue, he pulled them out and they came out very easily and the pimple/oozing disappeared by the very next day.
The C02 lasering was so easy and quick (within minutes) that I was able to apply makeup to it within a couple of hours and go to a concert with my boyfriend who didn't even know I had anything done in the first place..he just thinks I look really good regardless.
My toothshow has decreased as the upper lip has fallen a bit but it is ok because I have very pouty lips now when my mouth is open and my upper teeth are still seen quite a bit. It looks really great.

Very happy with the results, highly recommend this procedure to look a little younger and more attractive. It is actually a pretty subtle procedure if done properly and no one really knows you had anything done as Dr. Haworth made the scar so undetectable. I also have full movement of my upper lip now and have had it back by about 2 1/2 months' to 3 months' time. I still have a little stiffness at the incision site directly under my nostrils and sometimes they still look a little swollen and assymetrical when I wake up in the morning due to laying on my back to sleep at night, but it all goes down by the afternoon and it not noticeable.

One year later

I'll post pics soon but the swelling in my nostrils has gone way down to normal. There is no visible scar at all. My own close friends see me in person did not even know that I had anything done, other than to say that I look great. I have a small flaw which one nostril being slightly higher than the other, but it's not a big deal.

I've been harassed by Dr. Haworth haters on another website.

One year later exactly

One year later, my swelling on my nostrils has disappeared. It took a long time and jumping to conclusions about the end result before allowing your face to fully heal (esp the nose which takes up to a year), is a mistake.
I am posting these pics as I have been attacked by someone posing as several people on another website, ripping my results, saying they are mediocre to trash Dr. H. My nose at one point had asymmetry in healing, but not anymore. My nostrils stayed wide at the base for about 9 months. No longer. I do have the upper middle part of one nostril that has a peak in it, unlike the other HOWEVER I have had TWO prior nose surgeries from TWO DIFF doctors to narrow the tip so I need to clarify that here in case there is a connection.

Dr. Randal Haworth

He is very nice, professional, kind and really takes time to answer all questions and concerns. There are doctors who have artistic ability, rather than merely a scientific skillset and I sensed in my consultation that Dr. Haworth is the former. I really liked consulting with him, and he was the second doctor I consulted with on this procedure (the first was Dr. Jason Diamond, in Beverly Hills who told me he was trained in lip lift procedures by Dr. Haworth so I decided to go straight to the source instead.). He spent atleast an hour with me in my consult, plus another 30 mins or so in my pre op discussing what we would be doing, and another 30 mins or so right before surgery, marking me and measuring. He called me the night of my surgery to check on me as well, and had me email pics to show how I was healing since I was not able to go into his office the morning after surgery which he preferred, so he could see my other procedure's healing (I also had a lower blepharoplasty with fat transfer as I am 46 years old). He emailed me back immediately and let me know I was healing fine. I am scheduled to have my stitches removed on Monday. My surgery was on the 9th, stitches which were not the dissolvable kind, are being removed 6 days after surgery. As you can see from my photos, he really did a miraculous job. No visible scar at all in just 10 days post op.

Oh skingirl THANK YOU for the wonderful sequence of your results and photos! You look gorgeous but I have to tell you that to me, you looked just as gorgeous BEFORE your surgery!!! :o) Of course your lips are naturally beautiful, and though I didn't see your eyes in the photos, they must match the rest of your face in beauty. You're a very lucky girl! Enjoy it!!!
I agree. Her lips and face shape look pretty. She is obviously a very pretty girl. I appreciate her giving others an idea of how the healing process is.
Thank you. I wish I could post my whole face for everyone to see the total result but need to keep my identity private.
I'd go back to Dr. H. to get some thigh lipo if I could afford it, he's great.
Your lips are amazing! Great result. Pls enjoy ur life and don't let haters get u down. Its not ur fault they not happy with their outcome. Lol. I wonder how they stalked u to realself. Crazy. Some peeps don't have a life. Smh
Thank you for posting your pictures and updates. It helped me decide on surgeon and procedure. It has also helped me see the healing process and know to be patient while healing.
I think pictures speak for themselves. Your lips look great as well as the other lip pictures I have seen by Dr Haworth. I have never seen another doctor do that good of quality of work.
Thank you. I'm happy. That's all that matters in the end, but I was also happy BEFORE surgery and for some people, that makes a huge difference. I'm sorry that some people who claim to be patients of Dr.H's but have posted no pictorial proof of anything, have chosen to turn my opinion about my result into a nasty mud slinging opportunity. Fortunately, the Realself webmaster intervened and sent me an email stating the person who was stalking me on here was reprimanded and is not to continue, and many of his messages on here we're deleted by the webmaster for this reason.
It looks like your swelling went down even after your 13 week pictures to the one year pictures. If you look at the before picture and one year after picture the results are amazing. The space between your upper lip and your lip volume and shape looks perfect. Again, thank you for posting the pictures as t helps those who are going through healing get a better idea.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

There will always be haters, Skingirl:( Don't let them affect your happiness. 1) Did you have your lips plumped with fat or filler after the lift? They are quite full. 2) Looks like the CO2 laser helped the scar!! Is your most recent pic with or without makeup?
Elemgee, I did not have filler of any kind put into my lips before or after surgery. I am wearing light make up in my most recent one year post op photos. I like Realself.com. I find the site to be very informative and educational. There isn't a lot of vitriol on here. I find the most credible reviews are coming from those people who post very clear before pics showing what they don't like about their face that they are having operated on, against the postop after pics showing those exact same features once the procedure has been performed. I mean very clear straight on facial shots. It's easy to hide behind a computer and spew venom about doctors and insult other members if you have no photos of yourself, and make any kind of claim you want, about a procedure that you claim you had. But it's people who post factual evidence of before and after recent photos that are the most credible members, in my opinion. I have tried to do this in my thread, to help people draw their own objective conclusions about the procedure, the healing stages without sugar coating them, and the doctor. For someone to come onto my thread to make fun of my photos, say my cheeks are made of plastic balls, that I look like a freakish painting, and call me names on another website based upon my honest, CURRENT photos is harassing and unfortunate. That's not what this site is about. Some people are bizarre. I would hate to be a plastic surgeon.
I am referring to user TMI who posted on my thread after hunting me down from an unrelated site, who goes by username Demii on another site.
Skingirl, I have been reading what you said occurred on another site and I just wanted to post here what Realself's polices are; I copied and pasted this from another thread. It was as in response to someone who questioned the validity of another persons story, similar to what you did to the poster on the other site. So don't you think Real Self has a good strong ethical policy? "Your comments were removed because they violated our Community Guidelines. All experiences and opinions are welcome on RealSelf. We don't allow community members to question the validity of another person's story, whether it's positive or negative. If you have concerns about specific reviews or comments, please email us and we will look into it. Thank you, --Sharon "
SkinGirl, if the RealSelf moderator has the same issue believing my so called "claims" as you do, I will send photos of my Dr Haworth results to the moderator to look over and they can then make the decision as to whether I am an individual patient who has the right to be here and complain or not. You're telling everyone here that everyone who complains about Haworth is one person, as if that is "fact". Rather than being guessed at, these things can easily be checked out "factually" - the webmaster at Doctorscorecard can look up IPs and verify whether the posters are separate people or not. The results may surprise you, but likely won't support the weak argument you're trying to put forward here. Be aware, SkinGirl, that you invited criticism of your own photos because you were dissing the OP's photos who had a bad experience and declaring your own as wonderful. In fact the first point you made in joining that site was "I don't believe the negativity about Dr. Haworth that I am reading, from people claiming to be former patients but who provide no proof" - yet at no point did you ask any of us to provide proof. You made that assertion with no PROOF to hand yourself. You also clearly fail to understand that a review displaying terrible results which includes the doctor's name is not as easy to put forward as a review with great or even so-so results. Not least because of the potential legal implications of putting that kind of evidence into the public realm. There is an element of preparation involved, particularly when it's a clear case of medical malpractice. I do plan to post my entire story and photos in clear, non-edited photos about my experience once I have completed my 3rd attempt at revising his work. And my pictures are very, very clear, I can assure you of that, so you won't be disappointed.
MissMM - thank you.
We are so lucky to have sites like realself that allow people to talk about what happened to them good or bad. They have a straight forward policy that protects people. I wish all of the sites had the same policy. I pray that you, George and others who have been harmed can find some support from sites like these.

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Thanks. I am not sure whether they're doing the right thing on this thread ALTHOUGH it is someone else's review, I admit. But I will ask the doctors a few questions about my case. Thank you .
Skingirl, in your recent update you are not telling the truth about being "attacked" on Doctorscorecard by one person only. You are also not telling the truth about being "stalked" when it was you who made your own way to another person's review on a separate site without being forced or coerced by anyone. It was you who joined that thread out of the blue in order to question the authenticity of Dr Haworth's unhappy patient. You did not like it when you got a taste of your own medicine once a poster found your own reviews on Realself. People critiqued your results, just as you had critiqued the validity of the Doctorscorecard reviewer. You didn't like it, and are now crying "stalker" and accusing several unhappy patients of being one person only when you know that is not true at all. I will not reiterate what was said over there, but I think people should know the other side of the argument.
Excuse me, like I said, I am being stalked. By you. Like others, I have the freedom to post my opinion and my review about my experience. I posted a positive review on Dr. Haworth. I was trashed by no less than four people on the thread of Dr. Haworth haters, whom I believe to all be..the same person. Is that you? Saying I look like Edvard Munch's "The Scream" painting, all because you don't like that I asked to compare a clear facial before surgery pic to a post op pic led to me being attacked. And stalked. Now, hunted down on this page. If you continue to do this, say my face based upon my photos looks like I have plastic balls for cheekbones, and questioning everything about me simply because I disagree with your vitriol, I will report and do my best to have you removed from this site.