Upper Lip Lift with Dr. Randal Haworth - Beverly Hills, CA

It's really too soon for me to post my final...

It's really too soon for me to post my final opinion on my surgery I just had 3 days ago with Dr. Randal Haworth since results won't be known for quite awhile due to swelling, however Real Self insists I make a choice in order to write a review of my experience. After a couple of more weeks I will give my final review based upon physical outcome of the procedure but so far, so good. It has been an entirely positive experience at this stage.

I am posting pics day by day. I did feel a lot of pain the first day and really needed help moving around at home for atleast a few hours due to the anesthesia wearing off, but I was prescribed pain meds, anti inflammatory meds and meds to prevent infection and nausea so I was pretty well armed for recovery. I did not want any solid foods for the first day through third day following surgery due to the chewing required which hurt as it pulled my upper lip so I stuck to nonfat yogurt, and protein shakes made in my blender with ice, fruit and protein powder ( this makes up 75% of my regular diet anyway). I used a straw and bit the straw with my back teeth in order to swallow since my upper lip had no movement. I just used my back teeth to bite the straw which I have been doing now for 3 full days and it's fine. I sleep sitting up with pillows and take pain pills 2-3x/day since I do need them ( party because of other facial surgeries I had done same day..a lower blepharoplasty with fat transfer on my eyes). I'm doing well.

Before Pic

This is the before pic of my lips.

Before pic of my upper lip

1 day following surgery of upper lip lift

3 days following upper lip lift surgery

4 days post op

Finally feeling better...still taking pain med before bedtime. Sleep upright with pillows all night. Still on a diet of protein smoothies I drink with a straw used between back teeth, and also yogurt. No chewing (hurts, puts tension on stitches). Scar still looks raised, almost hypertrophic, however Dr. Haworth provided paperwork indicating a free of charge kenalog shot and/or C02 laser treatment should a hypertrophic (raised, thick) visible scar appear so I am ok. I am not working right now which is why I chose to time this procedure to allow as much time as needed to heal and look as good as possible.

5 days post op, starting to look good

Feeling a lot better. Still hiding out in the house. Protein shakes, no real chewing food other than very ripe, soft fruit. No need for pain pills anymore. Sleep upright. Stitches coming out tomorrow. I also had a lower blepharoplasty with fat transfer to eye area so my face is extra swollen. Stopped icing after the first 3 days, moved onto warm washcloth compresses several times per day. Scar still raised.

Day 6

Going in to have stitches removed today and to show what is looking like a possible hypertrophic scar under my nose. I know the doctor has treatments for this, if that is what I am seeing.
I'll update once I see Dr. Haworth, after I hear his opinion on how the scar looks raised and thick.

Trying on lipstick post op one week for first time

Dr. Haworth removed my upper lip lift stitches under nose yesterday on 6th day. Hurt a bit to remove them. He said my scar is not hypertrophic and looks good for 6 days, and that it is just swelling that will go down to nothing. Symmetry with center of nostrils and cupids bow has improved a lot. I go back in one month for a look at my total face with swelling reduced. Went out in public first time today but still very swollen in nose area by about 75%. My nose is huge right now from procedure, no sensation in nostril region at all right now and cannot move upper lip when I speak just yet. It's frozen for now but will improve over time. Check out my new mouth!! :) :)

10 days post op- nose scar has gone down to almost nothing

2 weeks post op--chewing food

Most lip swelling is gone now, other than cupid's bow and area just above that surrounding nostrils. Very stiff and numb there. Nostrils and tip of nose swollen and hard.
Muscle function of upper lip still not working well... Upper lip does not meet lower lip to chew with mouth closed just yet..talking with letters 'b' or 'm', for example, look very funny right now. Looking forward to the healing...told it will take 4 months for full function of mouth to return. Scar is minimal... No one would see it, even without makeup up close.

Almost 4 weeks post op, scar turning pink, nostrils still VERY swollen

Nostrils are still VERY swollen..almost exactly the same as the first week post op. This is normal for this procedure as muscle hemming was used, so the internal area of the nose near the incision site, and the sides of the nostrils are all very hard, numb and swollen. Scar as turned pink and needs to be covered with makeup and sunblock. Going in on August 16 for post op look by Dr. Haworth and will see if I can get the C02 laser treatment they offer to smooth it out and also IPL to reduce the redness. It is free according to the paperwork I received.
Really looking forward to my nostrils going down and not looking so wonky and asymmetrical. Post op care explained it would take up to 4 months to see final result.

13 weeks post op and looking great

Well, it's been 13 weeks since my surgery July 9, 2013. The doctor's office said it would take up to 16 weeks for final results to be seen and that all should look back to normal with the improvements before that and it does look great. In this time, I have had two follow up visits of getting C02 lasered to the incision site under my nose by the doctor which is included free of charge in the procedure on an as needed basis. I go back for a final time for C02 later this month over the incision site. It wasn't really that bad to begin with and not really noticeable at all, even without makeup except for one area on the side of my nose which with the C02 has helped it a lot.
I did have issues of the internal suture threads popping out to the surface in the form of what looked like a small pimple that created a pus like tiny amount of oozing (gross, I know), but to anyone looking, it just looked like a very tiny pimple. The doctor was able to detect this immediately and with some numbing on each visit spread about 6 wks apart when each one showed up out of the blue, he pulled them out and they came out very easily and the pimple/oozing disappeared by the very next day.
The C02 lasering was so easy and quick (within minutes) that I was able to apply makeup to it within a couple of hours and go to a concert with my boyfriend who didn't even know I had anything done in the first place..he just thinks I look really good regardless.
My toothshow has decreased as the upper lip has fallen a bit but it is ok because I have very pouty lips now when my mouth is open and my upper teeth are still seen quite a bit. It looks really great.

Very happy with the results, highly recommend this procedure to look a little younger and more attractive. It is actually a pretty subtle procedure if done properly and no one really knows you had anything done as Dr. Haworth made the scar so undetectable. I also have full movement of my upper lip now and have had it back by about 2 1/2 months' to 3 months' time. I still have a little stiffness at the incision site directly under my nostrils and sometimes they still look a little swollen and assymetrical when I wake up in the morning due to laying on my back to sleep at night, but it all goes down by the afternoon and it not noticeable.
Dr. Randal Haworth

He is very nice, professional, kind and really takes time to answer all questions and concerns. There are doctors who have artistic ability, rather than merely a scientific skillset and I sensed in my consultation that Dr. Haworth is the former. I really liked consulting with him, and he was the second doctor I consulted with on this procedure (the first was Dr. Jason Diamond, in Beverly Hills who told me he was trained in lip lift procedures by Dr. Haworth so I decided to go straight to the source instead.). He spent atleast an hour with me in my consult, plus another 30 mins or so in my pre op discussing what we would be doing, and another 30 mins or so right before surgery, marking me and measuring. He called me the night of my surgery to check on me as well, and had me email pics to show how I was healing since I was not able to go into his office the morning after surgery which he preferred, so he could see my other procedure's healing (I also had a lower blepharoplasty with fat transfer as I am 46 years old). He emailed me back immediately and let me know I was healing fine. I am scheduled to have my stitches removed on Monday. My surgery was on the 9th, stitches which were not the dissolvable kind, are being removed 6 days after surgery. As you can see from my photos, he really did a miraculous job. No visible scar at all in just 10 days post op.

Looks great!! With the muscle hemming, have you noticed any difficulty speaking or smiling?
Hi, I saw your question to the doctors on this site here. You had some pictures that you recently cropped your head off the picture, that showed how your nose now veers to the left that happened from the lip lift. I was wondering why that happened from the lip lift? Also can you please post those again. Thank you http://www.realself.com/question/los-angeles-lip-lift-changed-base-nose-and-nostrils-creating-wider-appearance
I don't want to repost as they showed my identity by accident. Dr. Haworth is going to have a look at it soon. Just been busy and haven't scheduled a post op consult for him to take a look but he is aware of my issue. It is actually not that noticeable in person...but is noticeable in certain photos. Once I know his answer, I will post.
It's been several months since you posted your last pictures and I was wondering how you were going on. First thank you very much for sharing your story with us. I am planning to get a lip lift and I would like to ask if you are happy with the final results. I am very worried with the nasal distortion I might get, what's your opinion about it? Could I see any recent photo? Thanks a lot!
Same question here, only I'm also curious about smiling... any changes when you smile normally (with tooth show)?
I do have some nostril distortion and Dr.H is going to take a look at it and advise. Nostrils are bigger now and one side is higher, but it's minor. Scar is not noticeable at all. I still have minor stiffness at incision site that is fading over time. My smile is blazing! Looks amazing now, that was a very happy side effect of this procedure because my upper teeth were already veneered but now they are very visible and it looks great!
Would love to see the smiling shots and where you're saying the bit about your nostrils!
Lovely.... Scar healed really nicely....keep Blazing!!! Thanks for sharing update. Blessings.
You looks amazing!!! And looks like scars free... Really good job, I have a question , are two Dr Haworth in Los Angeles? Another person in this same upper lip lift review had the procedure with a Dr Haworth , but I'm confuse if is the same one, thanks for sharing.
Most post on RealSelf with mention of Dr. Haworth is Randal Haworth. www.drhaworth.com. Best wishes, and many Blessings.
I think your lips look nice. However, I'm curious to know how you feel about the symmetry...
Can you close ur mouth completely?
Yes, as of about 10 weeks.
Very pretty result. Are you happy with the results so far? I am considering a lip lift with dr haworth also and the updates on realself have been so helpful in my decision process and also keeping realistic expectations of how the healing will go. Has the healing process been faster or longer than you expected? At what stage were you comfortable going out in public? Have many people noticed that you had something "done"? and have you posted any videos on youtube that shows movement? I'm curious to see how the lip will look in movement not just in pictures. Thank you for your updates!! So helpful!
Hi, I have full lip movement and no one knows I have had anything done. My friends who knew I was doing this say it looks perfectly natural and hardly detectable but that overall I just look better. My surgery healing went so well you really cannot tell exactly what I have had done, if anything. I just look attractive. I get a ton of compliments on my mouth and lips on an ongoing basis from people (especially men)..not saying this was the goal. It's just the way it's been. And I'm 47. It took about 8 weeks before I felt comfortable enough to be in public where movement of my mouth didn't seem weird or unnatural due to lack of ability to move upper lip and pronounce letters 'b', 'm', 'p'. and anything where my lips need to meet in the middle in order to make a letter sound. I am now 4 1/2 months post op and I still have stiffness just under the nose but my lips are fine with no weirdness. It will take another 2-3 months for all stiffness under nostrils to go away but it looks normal now and my nostrils are finally back to normal in terms of swelling reduction. They did, however, change shape a little and are more slanted upward.
You look great. Congrats on the healing process being positive. Thanks for sharing. BLESSINGS.
Thanks for the update SkinGirl10, appreciated. BLESSINGS!
Hey, congrats--you look fantastic! Did you ever learn how many mm you had removed?
Hi, Less than 1/4".
Hey you look great! I had the same procedure done by Hayworth and am super happy too...
I am completely obsessed with how your lips turned out! I am planning on having the same surgery with some F.A.T.M.A. done by Dr. Haworth this year too!! Can you post some pics how your lips look now?! Your photos are a huge determinant in whether I get mine done by Dr. Haworth or not! Thank you! :)
Any updates? How are you healing?
Do you have any updates for us? I'm anxious to see how the C02 laser affected the scar. Amazing transformation by the way!
I think your results are beautiful and wish you well in your recovery. I had a LL a few years back which was a failure in every aspect. I won't mention the doc's name. I had a revision with Rodriquez which helped quite a bit. I was considering Haworth for consulting for a 2nd revision. I just wonder when exactly better is the enemy of nice enough. I have a significant loss of sensation in my philtrum area and top lip already and fear further loss. I have scarring as well from all the previous work. The scarring is my main concern. Gotta love your new look! You've been compensated for your courage.