Lower Blepharoplasty with Fat Transfer by Dr. Randal Haworth - Beverly Hills, CA

Dr. Haworth performed a lower blepharoplasty w/...

Dr. Haworth performed a lower blepharoplasty w/ fat transfer on my eyes 6 days ago, using dissolvable sutures. The incision was made directly under my lower lash line. I have bags under my eyes at age 46 that show up in the morning and later in the afternoon, making me look tired. Deep sockets as well.

Sutures were removed. They were actually not dissolvable. Looks great. 6th day post op.

I will post pics soon.

First post op photos of lower blepharoplasty with fat transfer to sockets and slightly below

Had some continuous bleeding from my left under eye in tear duct area (as seen in photos, eye on the right). Woke on morning after surgery to find my left eye (right eye in pics) had completely sealed shut with dried blood caked over my entire top eyelashes. I literally needed several q tips saturated in water to unseal my eye by slightly wetting the top lashes. It took about 8 or 9 qtips to do this.

Day 3 of post op

My left eye stopped leaking blood from below tear duct area and clotted over. I'm leaving that alone as if I try to clean it any further I am worried it will open up and start bleeding all over again. Informed my doctor of this on morning following surgery and sent him a pic which he responded to by email within MINUTES and said to try to clean off the blood as much as I could with q tips. I did this and now I monitor it.

Day 4-5 post op pics

Started to tear up a lot in left eye as it the lower rim was drooping away from the eyeball in the same spot where all of the bleeding was taking place. I am not sure if there is a connection between the two occurrences. I emailed pics to my doctor on day 5 which was a SUNDAY NIGHT and he promptly within MINUTES responded to my concerns (great, right? This doctor probably never sleeps, he has really shown great care toward my recovery.). He said the lower eyelid drooping is from mild eyelid eversion and to massage it upward in a circular motion. I am going in on day 6 to have the stitches removed so he will show me how to care for and monitor this issue.

Day 6 post op with stitches finally removed

In my first post I wrote that the stitches were dissolvable but I was mistaken. They needed to be removed which was done today. Felt so weird having the doctor pull out from one side, a little unpleasant tugging sensation but over fast and not too painful. Bandages finally taken off. Doctor said my uneven drooping undereye rims were due to swelling and showed me how to massage for 1 minute, 5x daily with just enough pressure using 1 finger under the incision site so that it moves my eyeball slightly. He said this will help recovery. I really hope he's right because the drooping is scaring me a little.

Day 7 post op

9 days post op. I think lower lid droopiness is slightly improving

2 weeks + 2 days post op--fat transfer is still very swollen on face

My lower blepharoplasty with fat transfer included fat transfer to tear trough area and upper center cheek at the intersection where lower eye socket meets upper cheek center. I had dents and a gaunt area on one side so doctor filled with my own fat during surgery. As you can see in pics, the fat grafting still has MAJOR swelling even though my eyes now look AMAZING and smooth with no wrinkles or hollowed sockets..and the eyelid drooping is GONE at 2 weeks post op!

Giving this a 5 star rating ! My eyes look great at 2 1/2 wks post op!

The fat transfer swelling to lower face continues to go down. Eyes look 100% better than a week ago.
I still need to sleep with 3 pillows and head elevated above heart level, otherwise when I wake up in morning, significant swelling has returned to what i looked like 5 days prior.
Only today 2 1/2 wks post op have I felt comfortable going outside to run errands since sales help and cashiers have stared at me, most likely because of swelling from the fat transfer and also from major nostril swelling still extremely noticeable from an upper lip lift procedure.
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon

Nice, friendly, provides a great deal of time in consultation answering all questions and explaining the procedure. Artistic sensibility..just make sure you are on the same page aesthetically. Excellent communication, prompt response to three emails post surgery within MINUTES late at night and on a weekend when I had some concerns about swelling issues. It's too soon to complete the review on this procedure at this time as it has only been 6 days so I will provide more info later. Once I see the great final result I'm hoping for, I will likely bump this up to a 5 star rating. I do realize that the greatest doctor cannot work miracles on someone with poor healing abilities and I hope I am not one of those patients. He's pretty great.

Did your under eye fat grafting stay? Any lumpiness?
Thanks for your information! I'm considering to get an upper lip lift with Dr. Haworth and I am wondering if you had this procedure done by him as well. In that case can I ask you if you are happy with the results? Thanks!

Don't do it unless you really need it. Often over time the lips become lopsided. This too applies with fat transfer. The transferred fat is unstable. Symmetrical is the name of the game folks.

Thanks for the useful information! Much appreciated.
Hi skingirl10, congrats on your procedure! It's looking good. I'm glad the healing is progressing well for you. I also am considering lower lid bleph in Beverly Hills area. Out of curiosity, do you have any recommendations on doctors to consult with in addition to your doctor. I don't have a clue about where to begin. There are so many options, but I'm not from the area. Any suggestions on which doctors are know around town for being the really good doctors to go to for eyelid surgery.
Hi, Yes! In 2001 I had an upper blepharoplasty with Dr , Frank Kamer in Bev Hills at The Lasky Clinic off of Wilshire Blvd. He is a world famous plastic surgeon who has done a lot of work on Hollywood royalty ( I heard hecdud Catherine Zeta Jones' blepharoplasty years ago..but he doesn't advertise who he makes over.) I highly recommend his work. No scars whatsoever are visible from that surgery and my recovery was very quick.
Great results! I'm 6 days out. Do you have problems with dry eyes? What works best if you do?
Hi, I did not have dry eyes..they were tearing in fact, but I did use 2-3 drops per eye of Refresh saline eyedrops before bedtime. It's available at all drugstores over the counter. It is NOT Visine.
Thanks
I think your last photo looks great! It looks to me that yours results are starting to shape up quite well!
Hi Skingirl10. I had the same issue during recovery (lower lid drooping due to swelling). It took several months but the issue finally resolved itself with the help of massage. I also practiced blinking really hard several times a day to exercise the muscle. Be patient and try to relax while you heal. cheers.
Did your plastic surgeon tell you to blink hard? I have never heard of that. Also, when you went out in public, did you get any strange looks from people who knew you before your surgery but may not have known you had anything done?
It felt good to blink hard and I ran it past my surgeon. He said it was a good idea along with massage. But don't do it yet. You seem to be very early on in the recovery. Give it a week. While you are recovering the swelling makes your features appear a little foreign to people who've known you before. But people get used to the new look very fast. Don't worry. This stuff is always a bigger deal in your own head then it is to others....
Thank you. For your post!! I like knowing what I might be in for and how others have handled it!!
How can someone say it is worth it when they feel as though they may have complications??
Hi. My healing complications are not his fault. If you view the issue I have had with one eye that was bleeding continuously for almost two days following surgery and how he was quick to respond when I voiced concerns, advising on aftercare, what else can he do at this stage? He is monitoring this as am. I am a very reasonable person and believe in waiting to see the final result before jumping to conclusions.
Hi, I am confused. You are rating this doctor 5 stars but stating in other areas of Realself: "Worried About 6 Day Post Op Drooping of Lower Eyelids from Lower Blepharoplasty. What Can I Do to Help Resolve This? (photo) http://www.realself.com/question/los-angeles-worried-day-post-op-drooping-lower-eyelids-from-lower-blepharoplasty Experiencing Lower Lid Evasion 6 Days Post Lower Blepharoplasty. Will Massaging Help? http://www.realself.com/question/los-angeles-experiencing-lower-lid-evasion-days-post-lower-blepharoplasty Here you say it looks great, but it seems that you have legitimate concerns elsewhere.
I wanted to get a sense what other doctors had to say. Most on here including several oculoplastic surgeons who specialize in reconstructive eyelid surgery said after viewing my photos that it is likely I will make a full recovery and that this is part of the common healing process of a lower bleph procedure as mine.