Experience So Far Following Multiple-procedures: Eyes, Facelift, Fat Transfer, Chin Implant & Neck Sculpting - Beverly Hills, CA

This is post-op day 9 for me following eight...

This is post-op day 9 for me following eight hours' worth of surgery on October 2, and I'm happy to report that things are looking pretty good. I hope that gives some hope and encouragement to others who are apprehensively pre-op or early post-op.

I must say the first three post-op days were rough. There was pain and there was discomfort, mainly in the chin, around the ears (sutures) and from the drainage tubes in the back of the head. Granted, Vicodin certainly takes the edge off, but there's not much it can do for just plain old uncomfortableness, especially the very strange sensation of having literally no feeling in certain parts of the face, especially around the ears and jawline, not being able to open one's mouth very wide to shove a little food in and those miserable drainage tubes in the back of the head that are uncomfortable to rest one's head on, and that you must do since you must sleep on your back for a while.

But, mercifully, the drainage tubes and the massive dressings came off on post-op Day 1, and a new, lighter dressing applied, and that was a great relief. I went home on Day 2. Day 3 was mainly just enduring the discomfort and taking Vicodin every 4 to 6 hours. But Day 4 was different. I woke up. My eyes felt almost completely open, and the pain and discomfort in my chin, neck and ears was still there, but decidedly lessened. I took my last Vicodin that day.

Yesterday, Day 8, I drove (for the first time since surgery) myself to the doctor's office for my third post-op appt. and all went well. Yellow bruising is still there, but the worst of the bruising is behind me and with a little make-up, I may venture out later today (Day 9) to the grocery. Going to the movies tomorrow night, my first real outing.

I'm only on Day 9, but if anybody would like any questions answered about my experience so far, I'd be more than happy to oblige and I promise I will be brutally honest. I will admit it was more intense in terms of discomfort than I was expecting, but fortunately it didn't last for long.

Adding before and after chin/neck photos.

Today is post-op Day 20. Still a little swollen and still have some yellow bruising on upper cheeks where fat transfer took place. Also, have had some pain around chin implant, which PS says might be scar tissue forming around the implant. He injected something into it yesterday, and the pain is gone. I'm back now to just mild soreness.

Day of surgery

Before and after: October 2 and October 22

Today is post-op Day 26. Not too much news to report. Still have those lingering little bruises on my upper cheeks and one little round one on my right cheek from the fat transfer. PS says bruising from fat transfer can linger for up to three months. The tightness in my face and neck is gradually loosening up and that feels so much better. And most of the soreness in my chin is gone. Still pretty numb around the ears, plus I'm a little impatient that the incisions, although healed quite nicely, are raised and crusty. Go back to the surgeon a week from today. Will take that up with him then. All in all, so very pleased and so happy.

CORRECTION: Today is post-op Day 27 for me, not 26. Maybe not counting the days anymore is a good sign! :)
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon

Outstanding! I couldn't have been more pleased with the professionalism, attention to detail and safety and especially the artistry, which I'm convinced is a large part of this branch of medicine. It's not just skill, it's definitely art. I also appreciated his philosophy of "less is more." He is of the opinion that the least amount of surgery to achieve the desired result is preferable to doing any and everything just because you can. It's not necessary and can have disastrous results. In the unlikely event that it's not enough, you can always go back later and have more surgery; however, undoing something that's been overdone is difficult and oftentimes risky. I sincerely appreciate and agree with his philosophy. Also his staff were fantastic. Dr. Nikolov and his entire surgical and administrative team were wonderful, kind and comforting. I felt that I was in very, very good hands.

I am also planning on consulting with this doctor. How was the aftercare?
Wow. Money well spent. You look great.
You look WONDERFUL!!
you look great? who else did you consult with? I am going to be having a face lift and will probably be coming to Beverly Hills.
Congratulations on feeling and looking good! Like you, I had fat transfer to my cheeks, but I think my PS overfilled the area. I am at 6 weeks post op, and my face looks distorted. He told me to wait 3 months for the swelling to subside to see improvement. How is your fat transfer progressing? Is the swelling going down? Ruz
hi. I am also concerned about fat transfers but I will need them. Dr. Brent M. does something called "live fill." Do you know anything about that?
Hi Maggi, Although I don't know about the "live fill" technique, I think that what will make a difference in the end is that your doctor is conservative. I say this after having read many stories here of those who are satisfied and not satisfied. Remember, you can always add, but from what I've found, taking excess is problematic. Hope this helps! Ruz
Can you tell me how your neck slurping was done, was it a neck lift? Do you have an incision under the jaw or anywhere on the neck? Did he tighten your muscles when he did the facelift? You have wonderful results!
Thank you!!! There is a tiny incision under my chin in a "natural fold". He removed excess skin and tightened muscles. Does that help? :-)
Neck slurping?!?! I hate auto-correct!!! LOL. Thanks for understanding my gibberish. Please tell me, about how big is the incision and how noticeable under the chin? Is it sort of under your jaw bone? I am not sure what oyu mean by natural crease. Thanks much!!
LOL, it took me a minute, but I "figgered" it out!  Okay the incision is not visible unless you look under my chin.  I can only see it by holding a mirror up under my chin. It is a couple inches.  As far as the natural crease- I looked at my husband yesterday from the side and your chin kinds rolls under your face and then your neck begins.  That is where the incision is.  I can email you a picture if you send me your email address.  kathy.miller@gmail.com     :-)  Hope this helps!  Kathy
My slurping, huh? I suspect you meant "sculpting," even though your auto-correct meant something else! I do have an incision just under my chin--about 1 1/2 inches long. Not visible unless I lift my head back. I don't remember what my surgeon said he actually did to the platysma muscle in the neck but my neck is not only tighter, but smaller. And thanks so much for the compliment! I'm very pleased. It's been 7 1/2 weeks now, and I notice with the swelling going down in my face, it's a little more lax than it was before. However, I'm told that over the next year, it will tighten back up as the healing process is ongoing.
Kathy, you're looking great. And I read your tip about stopping Neosporin and going with Aquaphor on the incisions. I'm definitely going to try it. The incisions around my eyes and under chin are just fine, but around my ears, they look pretty nasty. PS says not to worry--no infection--just probably some wound separation. Plus, I will admit, I need to keep my hands off of them.
Yes! I hate auto-correct. Sometimes it creates words I have never even heard of -- and I am a writer!!! I am glad that you are happy with your face work. I have had my entire body done and now need to do my face. It looks like a 40-something yo face was grafted onto the body of someone much younger.
Ditto for me Robin, keep my hands off! I rub vitamin E oil on all my scars including behind my ears each night while watching TV- the behind the ear scabby stuff truly makes me nuts AND I have come across some stitches that won't pull out- just stick out and irritate me! LOL!
FYI I read recently that buying the vit E capsules and breaking them open is better than the vit E oil in a bottle. According to the source, the stuff in the bottle loses potency.
Oh wow, interesting! Thanks!
You look wonderful. What procedure was used on the bags below your eyes? I think they are called Mylar bags. I had a facelift almost two years ago, but the bags under my eyes stand out even more. This is not something that can be fixed by lower eyelid surgery. They are below that. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks so much. I honestly don't know what the specific procedure was, EGG. I'm going back for another follow-up appt. after Thanksgiving, so I will ask and get back to you.
Such a fabulous transformation!
Thank you very much!
Yay! You are doing wonderful and look GREAT!!! Kathy
Thanks. Feeling great. Bruising on upper cheeks finally fading a little bit. The only other noticeable things are the incisions on my ears. Getting a little worried about one. I'm concerned it may be infected--or just slow to heal and very sore. It's been four weeks today! All in all, couldn't be happier. I'm following your progress, and you look fantastic. You seem to be healing nicely and quickly.
Are you still putting anything on them? They told me this week to quit the Neosporin and just use vaseline - I've been using Aquaphor. We'll look back at all this as "blips" in the road! :-)
you look like you are doing really well and recovering quickly. I can only say that the pictures look terrific and you must be really thrilled! Best of luck with recovery.