Cheek Implants (Terino Malar Shell) Dr. Lee - Beverly Hills, CA

Hello RealSelf! I finally got around to writing a...

Hello RealSelf!
I finally got around to writing a review. First off, HUGE shout out & thank you to Miss LinaLeigh! I hope I got your name right. Without her review and generous contribution of photos, I wouldn't have been blessed to have found such a great surgeon as Dr. Harrison Lee! I love you, Lina!!!

I originally was going to get the exact same procedures as Lina, which I was quoted $15k for the cheek implants, jaw and chin recontouring, as I have a very bony protruding chin and irregular, square jaw from years of TMJ. I was very scared to do all at once, even though Dr. Lee promised a short time under anesthesia (2 hours for everything.) I also didn't want to deal with the shock of looking so different after surgery and being depressed because I'm impatient and want to see results TODAY! Lol.

Anyway, the main purpose for the cheeks was due to one side being flat from a car accident. We decided to plump both sides up with Terino malar shell implants, I believe size medium and custom carved to fit the contours of my underlying bone structure.

Surgery was literally a 1/2 hour! I was lightly sedated and numbed through my gums just as if I went to the dentist. I woke up a couple of times because my receptors are clean and drugs are intense at first, but get cleared quickly out of my system. Still, felt nothing, as I was numb. Don't get scared! I have been awake (and numb) for some procedures so this was all old hat to me.

His staff is awesome, and nurses are great. I did the surgery right in his office in a separate operating room that was sterile and comfortable, with warm blankets. He even played my favorite music for me as I was drifting off. Major brownie points there!

I hired a nurse to take me back to the rental home I stayed at for recovery. (I highly recommend booking through airbnb.com so you can recover in the privacy of a residence instead of a busy hotel, if you're traveling, like I was. I flew in from Chicago, btw, the night before surgery.

Recovery was comfortable. I wasn't in enough pain to take any painkillers at all. Not even a Tylenol! It just felt sore and what I was feeling was basically from the numbing shots.

Swelling peaked the day after surgery and the next day. My surgery was on a Weds. and I flew home Saturday evening. I didn't notice any strange looks at the airport from anyone so I think I looked pretty normal.

Incisions were inside the upper lip, way up where the gums meet the quick of the cheek. I had dissolvable sutures that I can still feel at almost 2 weeks post.

The incision area is a bit numb and my upper lip is a bit low and tight from residual swelling, but no other issues. I'm barely 2 weeks out and everything looks fabulous! I highly, highly recommend Dr. Lee for any facial work. He is also an oral maxillofacial plastic surgeon so he knows all about bone structure and how everything should fit together, not merely just a plastic surgeon who will do whatever you ask for. He understands the dimensions of the face and wants you to truly look your best, while making you feel comfortable along the way, both physically and mentally.

More pix to come!

12 days post op. Side view

6 weeks post op. Professional Photos

I had a photo shoot last week and loved how the cheeks stand out. There is also improvement in the nasolabial folds. These photos are 6 weeks post op.

Please read full review for all pertinent info.

I have covered cost, recovery, surgeon info, type of implant either in the title and body of review, and linked to my surgeon. He has other reviews here and info on his website. He does phone consults, too. His consults, in person or via phone/Skype are free of charge.

Front on pic: 6 months post

Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Lee is a very skilled, compassionate and artistic surgeon with a critical eye. He has a wonderful sense of humor to boot. He and his staff made me feel so comfortable and I would highly recommend him to anyone undergoing any type of facial work.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I have been very interested in this procedure and I am very hesitant as the face is not an area that I have tapped into until now. You look gorgeous both before and after, but I definitely love the afters as I noticed a more balanced and youthful look. Totally worth it. I appreciate sharing your story, I will definitely contact this doctor. :)
You look beautiful. Apologies.
they look AMAZING thank you for posting the recent frontal shot it's super helpful and all the haters can continue living their miserable lives while you continue being fabulous
i keep looking at that photo and swooning !!
I thought you looked more beautiful before the procedure.
You're the only person who has expressed that opinion. This is including from other surgeons and friends (with biased opinions) who have set their opinions aside to admit there is more balance and femininity than there was before. The rest, don't even notice a difference at all, so I am not sure you have the proper perspective here.
more pics would be great
Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. Blessings
Hi. I am waiting to post pics until I can post a smiling full on pic. So far that hasn't been possible. I look really weird when I smile which sucks because I had my son's wedding last weekend and I'm so scared I ruined his pics looking so odd. Anyway, I'll probably post this friday at six weeks post op. I was wondering if this problem is why you and linaleigh haven't posted any from the front smiling pictures? Thanks
I've always hated my smile, I have some gnarly Eddie Munster fangs, that's my reason why. As far as the cheek implants, they haven't contributed anything negative towards my smile.
Hello, Well, the pic of me at 3 days post (purplish shirt) is about as front on as I have, smiling. I couldn't smile too widely at that point because of the swelling. I don't like my jaw line or the way my nostrils flare on a front on, smiling pic, so I'm working on that. :)
Thanks!!
How are your results coming along?
Hi there, I am wondering if you got the same size as linaleigh/ because hers look bigger??? But you both say you got medium. I booked the surgery with Dr. Lee for next week. :)
Hi there, Well, yes, but I am not as far out after surgery in all of my photos. Lina started posting her's at 3 months and later, so her tissue has had more time to settle and shrink around the implants. Also, Dr. Lee had custom carved mine specific to my face, which I'm sure he did for her, but we are all structured differently and have different requests. Good luck with your surgery!!
How are you doing, missmoofie? How did surgery go?
Hey, gypsy doll. Well, I have had a full range of emotions. ultimately though this has been a good decision. but one of the implants got bumped on the car ride home from nyc to dc. he told me to try and push it back into place. all day yesterday i poked and prodded at it. now finally it is looking better. obviously the implants themselves make me look and feel so much better. i went with the size medium and im so glad i did, theyre not too big. i really needed more for my flat face. just gotta make sure theyre symmetrical . staying hopeful!!! right now the swelling is assymettrical from where i poked yesterday so i cant judge completely. all i know is that the cheeks were exactly what my face structure was "missing" so glad i found the solution. i know i am eventually going to be so happy. i mean i know i can always the one implant repositioned but id rather not have to, so im hoping that ill be able to work with it on its own. but either way its fine i guess! thanks for the review it helped me so much!
I'm sorry love. I do hope you feel better by now and things are looking up for you. We are looking forward to your review and photos when you're up for it!
Hi you look gorgeous! How much were the cheek implants by themselves? Because I'm only interested in cheek implants and I'd have to fly in from tx.
Thank you! They were $5k. Good luck!
One more question please, would you say your nasal labial folds were improved by a lot or a little?? Moderate improval? Thank you :)
Hi deebee, I still have some nasolabial folds but it's much been improved. The implants lift and fill the saggy skin that cause the folds and now that area is pretty smoothed out :)
Thank you dear! Once again, you look beautiful both before and after :)
Thank you so much, deebee!
You look so beautiful! I've been thinking of getting cheek implants for awhile either that or filler. I'm a little scared that implants may change or move as one ages. Did you ever talk to your doctor about the longevity of implants? Also your nose is absolutely perfect, did you have it done? If you did would you mind sharing who you went to? I'm looking for a revision. Thanks!