Cheek Implants (Terino Malar Shell) Dr. Lee - Beverly Hills, CA

Hello RealSelf! I finally got around to writing a...

Hello RealSelf!
I finally got around to writing a review. First off, HUGE shout out & thank you to Miss LinaLeigh! I hope I got your name right. Without her review and generous contribution of photos, I wouldn't have been blessed to have found such a great surgeon as Dr. Harrison Lee! I love you, Lina!!!

I originally was going to get the exact same procedures as Lina, which I was quoted $15k for the cheek implants, jaw and chin recontouring, as I have a very bony protruding chin and irregular, square jaw from years of TMJ. I was very scared to do all at once, even though Dr. Lee promised a short time under anesthesia (2 hours for everything.) I also didn't want to deal with the shock of looking so different after surgery and being depressed because I'm impatient and want to see results TODAY! Lol.

Anyway, the main purpose for the cheeks was due to one side being flat from a car accident. We decided to plump both sides up with Terino malar shell implants, I believe size medium and custom carved to fit the contours of my underlying bone structure.

Surgery was literally a 1/2 hour! I was lightly sedated and numbed through my gums just as if I went to the dentist. I woke up a couple of times because my receptors are clean and drugs are intense at first, but get cleared quickly out of my system. Still, felt nothing, as I was numb. Don't get scared! I have been awake (and numb) for some procedures so this was all old hat to me.

His staff is awesome, and nurses are great. I did the surgery right in his office in a separate operating room that was sterile and comfortable, with warm blankets. He even played my favorite music for me as I was drifting off. Major brownie points there!

I hired a nurse to take me back to the rental home I stayed at for recovery. (I highly recommend booking through airbnb.com so you can recover in the privacy of a residence instead of a busy hotel, if you're traveling, like I was. I flew in from Chicago, btw, the night before surgery.

Recovery was comfortable. I wasn't in enough pain to take any painkillers at all. Not even a Tylenol! It just felt sore and what I was feeling was basically from the numbing shots.

Swelling peaked the day after surgery and the next day. My surgery was on a Weds. and I flew home Saturday evening. I didn't notice any strange looks at the airport from anyone so I think I looked pretty normal.

Incisions were inside the upper lip, way up where the gums meet the quick of the cheek. I had dissolvable sutures that I can still feel at almost 2 weeks post.

The incision area is a bit numb and my upper lip is a bit low and tight from residual swelling, but no other issues. I'm barely 2 weeks out and everything looks fabulous! I highly, highly recommend Dr. Lee for any facial work. He is also an oral maxillofacial plastic surgeon so he knows all about bone structure and how everything should fit together, not merely just a plastic surgeon who will do whatever you ask for. He understands the dimensions of the face and wants you to truly look your best, while making you feel comfortable along the way, both physically and mentally.

More pix to come!

12 days post op. Side view

6 weeks post op. Professional Photos

I had a photo shoot last week and loved how the cheeks stand out. There is also improvement in the nasolabial folds. These photos are 6 weeks post op.

Please read full review for all pertinent info.

I have covered cost, recovery, surgeon info, type of implant either in the title and body of review, and linked to my surgeon. He has other reviews here and info on his website. He does phone consults, too. His consults, in person or via phone/Skype are free of charge.

Front on pic: 6 months post

Another side shot (smiling)

I was exhausted in this pic. Lol. Yes, bad habit of tilting to my right side (my 'better' side!) Again, 6 months.
As you can see, it is more of a subtle change upon smiling, yet a noticeable difference. Just healthy, glowy "apples!"
Ladies, you will love how make up looks when you have cheeks. The highlights are where they are supposed to be and there isn't much need for contour as the implant lends just a bit more shadow where your blush would sit. Nobody knew I got this procedure done unless I mentioned it, but everyone who didn't know commented on how young and "healthy" I look. Lol. I am 37 years young.