28 Year Old Male Tummy Tuck Journey - Bergen, NJ

I am a 28 year old former bodybuilder. Upon...

I am a 28 year old former bodybuilder. Upon stopping bodybuilding, I ate myself into a stupor for a year. This resulted in stretch marks and loose skin. I have since been back to bodybuilding for 3 years, but could not get ride of the excess.

So on August 10, 2010, I had a tummy tuck. As of right now the pain in intense, but definitely bearable. I can see the difference in my stomach contour when I take off the compression garment, but extremely swollen. One thing I will tell those who get it done. Do your research. I went in well informed knowing that it would be a minimum of 4 weeks before I saww the results I wanted, and most likely longer. Even knowing this, the past few days have been an emotional tornado. I tend to be a cold calculating person always in search of perfection. I tend not to show emotion at all. In the past three days, I have alternated between wanting to cry for placing my body through this, to being happy my loose skin will no longer be on my mind.

During my highs, I am up walking around every 20 minutes. I walk to the door, the kitchen, I just walk. The pain is basically gone during these points. During my lows, I hate myself. During my lows, I think of the fact I can't workout for a month, nor have sex for several weeks. I know I will have residual swelling for up to six months. No one but a single person knows I have gotten this done. So that also makes itr difficult. That being said, I believe I will only get better as time presses forward.

My doctor has been active for over 20 years, has his own practice, and positive results on males. Right now, it simply feels like my life is at a standstill as I recover. I know my overconfidecne will increase even more as I heal though. I recommend it at this point to anyone, but prepared to be pulled and twisted thorughout your mind as the healing occurs

So two days after my original post, and 1 day...

So two days after my original post, and 1 day after getting my drains removed, I went from undecided how I felt to saying it was worth it. The torrent of emotion still surges through my veins at times. The peaks are now higher and longer compared to the valleys. Being able to walk without worrying about the drains changes everything. I have spent much of the day with my heels against the wall, teaching my muscles to stand upright. It is a journey as I fight my abdominals from pulling me down. Exhausting, but well worth it. Few people now I had the surgery. Today I was with friends who did not know, and not a one said a word to me about my posture. I am growing more content by the moment.

SO I uploaded two photos. Not of best quality, but...

SO I uploaded two photos. Not of best quality, but since basically no one knows I had this done, I had to shoot them myself. I like the results so far. On the side shot, you can see how swollen I still am down by the incision where it protrudes. I measured my waist. I was a 32.5 before surgery, and am currently at 37.5. So I have an extra five inches of swelling. Minus the extra skin I had removed and another inch may even be called for. I have been taking bromelain, and will continue to take for another 2 weeks. I'll stop on day 22. Depending on how I am healing, I may start up again at day 29 if I am still swollen. I am hoping to be down to a 34 by then

SO today is day 16, and I am feeling great. Still...

SO today is day 16, and I am feeling great. Still pretty tight, but I am working on that by laying flat on the ground and breathing. I am slowly working my way to having my arms over my head. I am back in the gym, but light and easy for the next two weeks. Here are some extra photos. If you take a look at the side, you can see the swelling has really subsided. There is still some serious swelling under my belly button. My waist is still 2 inches bigger than pre surgery. I weighed myself today, and am 2 pounds lighter than previous. Overall, I am extremely happy

SO I went for an unplanned stop at my doc's...

SO I went for an unplanned stop at my doc's today. I'll take the photos tomorrow to show why. The short of it is I have some serious swelling I wanted to make sure was not a seroma under my belly button. It is normal swelling for my activity level along with scar tissue so everything is still healing fine.

So here are my photos, a little late.

So here are my photos, a little late.

So I am trying to post the before and afters from...

So I am trying to post the before and afters from my doc's office.

So it is a little over 7 weeks, and I am loving...

So it is a little over 7 weeks, and I am loving the work. The swelling is gone in the monring and afternoon. There is still some there at night. Today was the start of my second intense week in the gym. Last week I did my normal split, ran, biked, and finally sneezed wihthout worrying!! For those of you debating, find a good surgeon and go for it!

So it has been just over three months now. I still...

So it has been just over three months now. I still had some swelling and hardness (scar tissue) until the last 7 days. Last week, I started feeling uncomfortable below my belly button, where much of the hardness is located. I especially hurt whenever I used the transverse plane of motion.

It last for two or three days. I woke up one morning, the swelling and hardness was basically gone!!! MY abs are as flat as they have been since my bodybuilding days. I could not be happier with the results!!! That being said, follow your doctors orders and you will be okay

20 years experience

Awesome result! Thanks for sharing.
You look amazing! I am a 22 year old looking to get a tummy tuck in the UK and I would love to have the results you have! Thank you for posting about this it has helped settle my mind :D
Just out of curiousity, did Dr. Nathen Rothenberg do your surgery? My doc is in Bergen and also cost is 6,600. Im having it done in Queens at the surgery center on Jan 4th
Adonis

Congrats on your operation, I am in a similar situation where I used to have a great body with good definition however, I ate myself in lieu of stress and anxiety. I think I must've gained close to 80 pounds over the course of one year. I've gotten back down to my normal weight and decided to get a TT.

I am currently on day 5 of recovery and I am only taking the antibiotics and Tylenol. I can bare the pain but I just don't like the dizziness and nausea that ensues with pain killers.

I am finding that my repositioned belly button is high though. My abdomen area is swollen but I am not sure if the swelling has caused the belly button to appear high or if its a miscalculation on the part of my surgeon. Have you had or heard of such issues?

Glad to hear you had such positive results; that is wonderful!!
I will be posting more photos sometime this week
Adonis, thank you for your pics and all your comments. My surgery is already scheduled for December. I workout four to five times a week with weights and cardio. I am happy to hear that it helps with the recovery. I don't like taking pain killers either and hoping I don't have to take too many. You look great and you probably look a lot better by now. I wish you the best and thanks.
Working out defintely helped. I started at week 3, but with basically no weight. Just the bar for chest press (usually over 200), 5lb curls (usually 50), etc. But it helped keep me sane.

As for the pain pills, I needed them the first seven nights until after the drains came out. I took them that night as well and that was it

We recently moved over this male tummy tuck story from our male breast reduction section. Feel free to give him some encouragement!

Updated with new photos!!!
Any new photos or before photos from your doctor's office? I just scheduled my surgery...thanks for all the info.

Your scar looks great--nice and low. Do you mind sharing who your doctor is?

My scar lies right under where my boxers lie on my waist. As for the pubic hair, I keep everything shaved so I cannot answer. I have my six week check up next week and will post some more photos then
Hey, thanks for posting about your experience. I'm in a similar situation and am glad to finally read a male perspective. I was just wondering, now that the shaved hair should be growing back, do you think your pubic hair is going to cover most of the scar? Would love to see pre-op photos if you PS gives them to you. Thanks!
Try to stay positive. The first week was the worst. At almost five weeks, I feel great. Swelling is still there but subsiding. You will get the results you want, but patience is a virtue (though speed would be so much better :)
Hey, you look really good! I just had a mini tuck...like literally a mini tuck since the incision is only 4 inches long (think C section scar on woman). I also had some more lipo done (had it done a year or so ago). Honestly, its been a day and I don't know whether to be happy or depressed. There is so much swelling and I'm thinking I should have just gone through the full tummy tuck since I know the doctor removed just a little bit of skin. I'm probably going through the same low/highs you went through your first few weeks. Anyways, thanks for your post. I will definitely just get the full tummy tuck like yours by xmas time if I dont get the results I wanted.

It's good to hear that you were able to get back into the gym routine with too many limitations.

The swelling comes and, with massage, goes away. However, it seems like the size of the lumps has decreased so hopefully in a few weeks it will be totally gone.  I still use a yoga sweatband for compression.  I drink almost 2 gallons of water per day so I might have less swelling if I cut down my water intake...

My spritis are definitely up. Being back in the gym is definitely helping. My obliques are finally losing some of there swelling. they were bothering me for some time for they looked like they had grown. NOw I realize most, if not all of it is swelling. I'll know better in a few weeks. So you are still getting swelling at six weeks, but massage helps temporarily?

Yeah, keep compression on it, avoid salt (increases fluid retention) and it will get better over time.  6 weeks post lipo the left side under my chin has no swelling, but there's a lump that keeps forming on the right side of my jaw.  It goes away with massage but then reappears later.  Surgery's definitely not a shortcut; it takes time and allows us to acheive something that wouldn't otherwise be possible.  Keep your spirits up and help the time go more quickly with a hobby that you enjoy.

If you look at photo of day 23, you can see where the swelling is. The bulge above the incision line is scar tissue plus swelling, hence the bulge in the area. Most of that should be gone from my research and speaking with my PS in the next 3 weeks
So I have had a busy few days, and some serious swelling under my belly button as a result. I'm actually icing it down. And you are right it is a process akin to getting in shape. It is a process
The recovery process for surgery is similar to the time and focus required to get in great shape. It's worth it in the end.
It will be a long six months. I really thought I had popped a stitch in the plication. All I did all day was walk so that shouldn't be the case but I was still worried. I should expect this though, I am not even three weeks out and I am active. How it looks when I am not extrmeely swollen, such as today, gives me great hope. I know it will only imptove for the next 24 weeks
Yeah, the amount of swelling really suprised me. At times my chin swells up to half of what I had pre-lipo. When I read that the final result takes 6 months I was thinking that most of the change after the first month was just skin shrinkage. But no, swelling makes it look like nothing was done.
Yesterday I went out and about for the first time. I wore the spanxx undergarment and fit into my jeans. Halfway through the day, I was swollen from all the moving. I was afraid I had popped the plication of the mouscle. I woek up this morning and everything is back to normal. I didn't realize how bad the swelling could become