Zirconia Crown Chipped, Now What?

I had four Zirconia Crowns placed on my front...

I had four Zirconia Crowns placed on my front teeth and they look AWESOME! very natural and WHITE! I love them. I paid $800.00 for each tooth, total of $3200.00.

The dentist placed the crowns on in 2005. Last month while eating a hard pretzel, one of the zirconia crowns chipped. I returned to the dentist and they will replace the crown for 400.00 50% off.

Thought these Zirconia Crowns suppose to last 5...

Thought these Zirconia Crowns suppose to last 5 years or more with no problems? Is the dentist suppose to pick up the tab or do I have to pay the $400.00? Does anyone know if it should be replaced at no cost?

Dental Group of Bellflower

the dentist did a great job. the lab perfected the teeth, they look so natural. I wish they would replace at no cost.

if you got a guarantee of say 10 years of no problems....then the dentist should pay. BUT on the other hand I DOUBT that any medical practitioner/dentist would do that.
Those crowns are call Lava, meaning zirconia inside and porcelain on top. Lab fee for it is 90$,normally dental office grants free redos at 1 year,after that,lab gives 5 year warranty to dental office, meaning dental office pays nothing to lab but charges the patient, 400$ after 4 year is fair price,.
My dentist has a four year 'warranty' on any work. It does seem that the dentist should be picking up the tab.
dolly 999 I was contacted for gold,Gold last twenty to forty years. Looks just fine to me.I looked it up,Talked to reputable dentists,And was also told that ,Of course it's porcelain fused to Gold .I had a states license for years,I also took a course in Business Law and Contract Practices.And I did thousands of legal contracts. The Law is the Law at least that's what I was taught.And not open to an interpretation . It's known that Zirconia Chips.Why change what the patient Contracts for,It's like i ordered a red car,And they give me a Black car. Don't I have the right as a buyer to get what I paid for.Or lets go easier I buy a Hamburger and they give me a taco, don;t I have the right to one get what I want or to at least get a refund.I suppose not when the Dental Association is the Insurance company.
I am a dental technician in the UK. My lab works with 95% metal free restorations. We have huge success - zirconia must be treated correctly and if it is there should be no problems. I would imagine it was the ceramics on top of the zirconia that chipped, not the actual zirconia. As a grinder our dentist should most definitely have given you a night guard to wear to protect your new restorations.

well bill my upper front teeth were suppose to be white gold!!! MY DENTIST ON HIS OWN DECIDED, TO DO WITH ZIRCONIA AFTER 2 1/2 YEARS THEY ALL BEGAN TO FAIL,SO I HAD TO HAVE MY TEETH REDO WITH GOLD. $15000.00 FOR HIS SERVICES, REDO 26,000.00 IN LES THAN 5 YEARS. ABOUT 41,000.00 AND I'M IN FEAR OF NEEDING DENTURES. CONTACT SAID GOLD. SUPPOSE TO LAST 20 TO 40 YEARS. NEVER DO ZIRCONIA. MAN IT WAS PAINFUL DOING IT TWICE SO SOON,ORTHOTIC DEVICE WAS SOMETHING RIGHT OUT OF HELL. SO WERE THREE IMPLANTS. ANOTHER. $8000.00 IF HE JUST STUCK TO THE BINDING CONTRACT IF ANYTHING HAPPENED IT WOULD HAVE BEEN MY FAULT,NOT EVEN A NIGHT GUARD. I WOULD NEVER USE ZIRCONIA IT WAS MADE FOR A SAND LIKE MATERIAL BACK THEN. I WOULDN'T EVEN DO IT TODAY EVEN IF IT IS SUPPOSE TO BE BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We all wish that nothing ever failed, tires, shoes, our livers, our kidneys and our teeth. The fact is, dental technicians try to make the best they can in beauty and strength. We have Zirconia, the strongest ceramic ever produced and it's still not impossible to chip or break. Humans can bite over 500lbs per square inch of force on teeth, so damage does occur on natural teeth and man-made teeth. Time spans on durability depend on you, the dentist and the dental lab technician. We try hard and do the best humanly possible always. Gaining years of comfort and beauty is our common goal in your treatment. Working with your dentist to expect the norm and to get better than average is all you can do as far as cost goes to making a new one if one breaks. No one should expect a free replacement after a year, much less five years. In between, there is room to discuss the fee being lower than full fee, in my opinion.
Thanks you for your comments. I returned to the dentist and took them up on their offer to replace the tooth for $400. I was told by another dentist that the tooth did not chip from the pretzel. that in fact, I grind my teeth at night which led to the tooth to become weak, so when I ate the pretzel, it chipped. The original dentist should have provided me with a teeth guard to wear at night. I am happy that it was replaced and I am back to looking normal...
Hello. If you have bruxism problems best is that your dentist will fabricate a relaxation plate. I'm working with Flexite (http://www.usdentaldepot.com/Dental-supplies-catalog/Flexite-MP/MULTI-POLYMER(-)F592) material with very good results.

Greetings ...

who is your doctor i will need a crown and i want them to look natural

I agree with butterfly. It sounds like one of those subjective non-guarantees (e.g. Botox is supposed to last 3-6 months, but tough luck if yours is gone in 2.5 months).

50% off + a possible $50 payout from Zirconia sounds pretty good.

Unless you got something in writing saying they they will replace at zero cost to you for an entire 5 years I thing the dentist is being very fair.
I think you might be right. Thanks! I did not receive anything in wrigint. Today, I googled the company that makes the zirconia crowns. They back the qualifty of the crown and will pay the dentist $100 and the patient $50 if the crown fails within 5 years. Maybe I should write them a letter?