Thought I Was Going to an Eye Hollow Expert...- Bellevue, WA

I went to Dr. Young to correct under eye hollows...

I went to Dr. Young to correct under eye hollows caused by a lower blepharoplasty performed by another doctor (she said she wouldn't remove fat but she did anyway while I was under general anesthesia). I had seen Dr. Young's before and after pictures showing how he corrected under eye hollows with Restylane and I was impressed. I also thought that with his fat transfer experience he'd be good at delicate under eye work.

His staff assured me that he was indeed exceptionally good at this kind of correction. Dr. Young himself stated that the thin skin under my eyes and lack of natural fat/tissue there would not be a concern. I went ahead and had 1/2 syringe of filler placed under each eye, with a small amount above the eye. After a good week of very bad swelling and bruising, I was left with very tell-tale lumps under the skin where the filler had been placed. It was and still is quite unsightly, especially in unflattering light (which seems to be everywhere!).

Dr. Young recommended massaging which I did tons of but it did not help at all. He also promised he'd make it better but when I went back at two weeks to show him how it looked his only suggestion was to put in even more. Of course that made me nervous so I opted not to take that route. I ended up going to another doctor (an oculoplastic surgeon) to put more Restylane in to smooth out the misshapen, asymmetrical, weird lumps under my eyes. This time the added filler was conservative and it helped for a while but after 5 months it is wearing off and what Dr. Young put in is again noticeable. Unfortunately I am unable to hide the strangle lumps with make-up; it just doesn't mask it. When he put the filler in I remember that I was a little concerned because he worked very quickly and was rather rough with the needle but I thought I was in the hands of an experienced expert. I was wrong.

I was hoping for natural-looking under eye contours instead of the lifeless hollowed out look I had from a bad lower bleph the year before (different plastic surgeon for the bleph).  After the filler treatment I ended up with noticeable lumpiness that is asymmetrical, unnatural, and placed oddly.

Hi, I was asked to post a follow-up photo now that...

Hi, I was asked to post a follow-up photo now that I have addressed the Restylane lumpiness with a new and better product called Belotero. Belotero is new in the U.S. since March; it has been in use in Europe for years. I had it injected at Dr. Tarbet's office in Bellevue by a Merz pharmaceutical rep named Peggy. She has tons of experience and I have found her work to be a big help in smoothing out the unsightly lumpiness which resulted from the under-eye Restylane injected by Dr. Young last January. It seems to me that the Belotero does a much better job at mimicking the natural contours and fullness under the eye that I had prior to my unsatisfactory lower bleph (performed in Portland in early 2011). If Belotero had been on the market back then and if a provider would have counseled me to try it I think I would have been very happy with the results and I never would have resorted to the lower bleph to address the faint beginnings of bags under my eyes. The Belotero would have masked the barely visible rings under the eyes that were concerning me. I did not know back then that a lower bleph would prove to be such a disaster on my thin face. Now I will be working for the rest of my life to correct the lifeless, hollowed out look that resulted. Hopefully Belotero will be a long-term good thing to have in my "tool box!"

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Young is a nice, friendly man but I'm afraid I did not have a good outcome when I had him try to correct under eye hollowness by using Restylane. He has a very relaxed, approachable, and friendly manner so I feel bad about posting this review but I do think it is my duty to share my experience. Apparently, finding a talented practitioner to successfully put filler under the eyes is not an easy task. Best of luck.

Reparata, has your "new" doctor been able to correct problems caused by the juvederm injections under your eyes? May I ask the name of your new doctor? I need some correction work done as I had juvederm injected under my eyes two years ago and recently restylane; both having horrible results. I am fearful to have any further work done, but under certain lighting the lumps and ridges under my eyes look bad and I am very self conscious. Thanks :)
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Thanks, Reparata, for sharing your story. Hopefully those of us who have the courage and the conviction to comment about unsatisfactory results will help others to make better choices for themselves.
i am in almost the same situation as you. i am so sorry for what you have been though. I began to develope the most horrible bags under my eyes at 17. I was so self concious about it that i started wearing glasses and would never look at anyone in the face. i decided to have surgery to try to fix the problem. i had been sick for a while so my fiance paid for the surgery as a present. it wasnt but a few days after the surgery that i realized something was wrong. i had the biggest darkest circles under my eyes. the doctor took out way too much fat. i look way worse then before the surgery. i ended up paying for about 1200 dollars worth of restylane to be put under my eyes. it looked good for about 5 months and i just spent another 1000 dollars for more filler. my eyes swelled up so much this time that i am so afraid its going to cause me to have bags under my eyes again. the lower eye lid surgery ruined my life. i was not warned of any side effects and even asked if there was a possibility of him taking out too much fat. he reassured me that he wouldnt. i am only 23 and i feel so awful about myself which causes me to be in a bad mood a lot. now i am worried its going to effect my relationship
Hello there, oh it breaks my heart to hear a story such as yours. After dealing for two years with the emotional trauma of my results and how they make me feel, I can only say that you will eventually find some peace in having to live with this situation. For one, over time you will slowly come to accept that this bad outcome and the complications have occurred. Second, you will keep looking for solutions and find some things that you can depend on (I am currently having much better luck with the filler Belotero as injected by a very good injector). Third, you will probably find over time that you become more accustomed to the changes on your face and, I believe, the filler and injections do have some lasting impact (they seem to dissolve more slowly than quoted). I read that even the pin pricks can leave behind tiny amounts of scar tissue which actually serve to help fill in under the eye area. It is very subtle, but better than nothing. Last, be sure to learn about facial exercises that target the muscles under the eye. I believe that by exercising them you can thicken and strengthen the muscle which helps diminish the appearance of hollowing. Because the muscle is small it is not like building up your biceps--the change is gradual and subtle but, again, worth it. It would also help with your concerns about the bags returning due to the stretched skin. A gentle laser could also eventually help tighten that skin if it does indeed stay stretched after your current filler dissolves. Oh, one more thing, it you find that you are feeling desperate, I would recommend considering counseling and/or anti-depressants. I have found both to be very helpful as this situation is a very private trauma that people around you simply do not understand. Unless it has happened to you, you can't begin to imagine how life-altering and scary this road can be. So, talking to a therapist and calming down your emotional reaction with medication can help you privately work on this issue while you work to maintain your relationship with your fiance or with anyone else this has affected. I try really hard to keep my concerns to myself so as not to upset my family, but I do reach out to folks like you because it is so important that victims of botched cosmetic procedures not feel alone. For now just know that there are solutions out there and that you will find them. Be very conservative and careful in who you trust to help you. It may take a long time and tons of research for you to find a good practitioner but that is much better than further complications by rushing to try to fix things. At this point, I would not trust a soul to do any kind of surgical or permanent repair for me. I will only allow temporary fixes such as filler so I know that if it doesn't come out right at least it will eventually dissolve. Hang in there and be assured that you will come to feel more accepting and at peace with this. It takes time and research on your part, but you will get there. A silver lining? This situation forces you to think hard about who you are and how you want to live your life. I love the expression, "Adversity builds character." Not what you signed up for, I know, but a positive outcome of this anyway. Take care. : )
Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. IREALLY needed to hear that. I have really been trying to accept my situation these last few weeks. Its been really hard for me though, even when i try to have fun i end up in tears. I guess a therapist is probably inevitable. I can't sleep and have horrible nightmares about waking up after my surgery and my face being deformed. I have also been dealing with numerous health problems for the last few years as well as being anorexic when i was younger. I think that having being anorexic in the past that i am more prone to being overly depressed. This surgery was supposed to be a present and it just added to my list of problems. How did you ever learn to forgive the surgeon? im struggling with that because i feel as if he ended all happiness in my life. I am so scared for my relationship now. It kills me to think that i will never have my dream wedding.
It is such a blessing to us that you share your experience and outcomes... I want to thank you. You look so pretty and confident now :-)
It is my pleasure, Yolanda. I haven't had a lot of luck or satisfaction since I started down this path (mainly due to the outcome of the initial blephs and chin implant in Portland) but I truly feel that the only silver lining for me is to share my story with others so that they have a better chance of making good choices and ending up with good outcomes. Thanks for your kind note!
I had a neck lift from Dr. Young, and wasn't happy with the end result. I went back to get some of it fixed, but ended up again with results that were below par. Dr. Young mentioned each time that he saw me that he could do fillers for under my eyes. I told him each time that I wasn't interested. Reading what happened to you, I am glad I didn't let him do the work. I wish you hadn't gone through this yourself, hopefully others will read your review and think twice. I'ts good to read that you've found a solution - and your hair looks great. :-)
At Aesthetic Facial Plastic Surgery our Mission is to provide unwavering quality care to improve people's lives through Facial Plastic Surgery and the YoungVitalizer. We go above and beyond to help our patients. The comments that have been posted are not authenticated. We are unsure if these comments are actual patients or competing doctors. If you are an actual patient, we ask that you contact us as soon as possible so that we can help you directly at 425-990-3223 or contactusatdrphilipyoung.com. We will do everything we can to improve your situation. We wish you peace, love and happiness - Aesthetic Facial Plastic Surgery.
You look great with the Belotero and I love the blonde hair and bangs on you!

Yeah, I agree with Anika1, the new 'do is very cute on you!

Thanks for posting the photo's - you look great! :))
Appreciate your kind and complimentary comments, gals. Thank you!

Thanks for posting an update. I'm so glad to hear that the Belotero worked out nicely for you!! Please keep us posted on how it wears and what you think of it over the long run. I'll be very curious to hear!

Gosh! I just read your reviews and you have had just the worst luck with your procedures! I am sorry you are going though this. Could the restylane unevenness not be addressed with the enzyme (forget the name of it) that dissolves the restylane? Also, have you considered an autologous fat graft to correct the eye-hollows caused by the blepharoplasty? (although I would not blame you if you are weary of any more procedures!) I know that Dr. Stella Desyatnikova in Seattle is a very talented facial plastic surgeon - although I have not needed any surgery with her, I have heard only praise about her and she is a very smart and nice person. Thanks for sharing your doctor's names. I am from the NW and it is helpful to know the results of the local physician's work. Also, you are a very pretty lady :) and I like your chin profile.
Hello Happy Grrl, what a sweet message--thank you! I did actually try a tiny amount of Hyaluronidase when I was trying to fix the weird lumps but I was wary of it since many folks on RealSelf felt that the enzyme dissolved some of their own tissue. I simply don't have any to spare after the lower bleph so I couldn't risk it! In the end, I did go ahead and try the Belotero and it has helped tremendously. It is so much smoother and more natural looking under the eyes than the Restylane is. (I may try fat grafting someday but for now I am satisfied with the Belotero). I had this new filler done at Dr. Tarbet's office in Bellevue by a lively and kind lady named Peggy. She is quite an expert as she has worked for Merz Pharmaceutical for years. She really knows her stuff. While I don't have taut, youthful perfection under my eyes (not a realistic goal anyway...), I now have very believable, natural looking, normal fullness under my eyes. Peggy did a great job helping me to achieve an appearance that is much closer to where I was before the unfortunate botched lower bleph in Portland. Thank you again for your kind message. Happy Thanksgiving!
Hello Portland...how did you find out about Belotero and Peggy at Dr. Tarbet's office? As mentioned, I have had the same experience as you with Dr. Young - before that, 2 years before, I had a bad experience with another physician. Dr. Young had assured me that he would fix everything and make me "perfect" - should have been my first warning clue. I agree with you that he appears to be such a nice person - I feel bad that I have even had this experience with him. Anyway, moving on...I am really wary of having anything done under my eyes - but am so miserable with the bumps and unevenness that I am becoming desperate. Please let me know about Peggy and how you felt you could trust another "injector" again? How much improved do you think you are? Thanks...and Happy Thanksgiving to you too.. :))
Howdy MyFaze, I learned about Dr. Tarbet when I asked the oculoplastic surgeon in Portland who he thought did good filler work in Bellevue (he had trained there). I asked on behalf of my niece who lives there. I made her an appointment and went with her. When I told the office staff about my issues, they told me about Belotero which has only been available in the U.S. since March. I did not have the Restylane dissolved first; we just used the Belotero to smooth out and fill in around the lumps from the Restylane. I was nervous, of course, but the injector I met in Dr. Tarbet's office (Peggy) fully explained why and how Belotero doesn't look lumpy under the eye. Also, she was there to teach the other injectors how the work is done and she also reported that she did the filler of the oculoplastic doctor of the office, Dr. Tarbet herself. I figured that if I was going to try one more time, these were the best circumstances I could hope for. I also explained to Peggy that I only wanted to try it if she felt confident that she could help me and make an improvement. I said I did not want to simply "give it a try" and "see how it goes," which seems to be the attitude of many less-experienced and over-confident injectors. She replied that she did indeed believe she could improve the situation and that she especially liked more challenging cases as her skill set was rather beyond the straight forward cases. She only used 6/10 of the vial and I had minor swelling and bruising for about 5 days. After that, I felt that the area under the eye no longer looked obviously injected. The lumps were WAY less obvious, to the point that I stopped noticing them or worrying about them. That returned my confidence quite a bit and for that I am extremely happy...and grateful. And one last bonus: the cost of the Belotero is a little less than Restylane so I didn't have to worry about sinking a new and larger dollar amount into my filler history. I hope that was thorough enough for you and helpful, too. Best of luck, my friend!
Hello my friend...thank you for your detailed and thoughtful email. I will give this a try. Would it be too much to ask for you to take a photo of your new and improved self? If not, it's okay - just thought I would ask. I will let you know how it goes for me. Can I mention you to Peggy? I am so glad to have met you through real self. Thank you again. Best, Farah
Of course you can mention me...no problem! I will try to find the time to post a new photo sometime today--good idea! Anything to help out others in my situation! : ). Take care.

how are you now? i appear to be in the same situation and i have so much anxiety. what have you done? did it go away. please update.

Hello ughughugh, sorry I didn't see your message until now. As I had posted, the heavy-handed filler I got last January was not dissolving or going away noticeably and it was hard to live with and wait it out. I had the second doctor in Portland help me out with a conservative amount of Restylane but that began to go away. I kept reading and looking for advice and came upon the Belotero recommendation. I tried it in Bellevue at Dr. Tarbet's office and have definitely found it to be superior to Restylane when placed under the eyes. I now feel like the area under my eyes is much more believable and I no longer have the anxiety that I look strange or like I have obviously "had work done" that didn't come out very nice. I figure that to others I look like a normal gal in her 40's. That makes me happy as it is far better than feeling like I look botched. I also would recommend the facial exercises. I have tried them off and on over the years and they do some good for sure; I have just had a hard time sticking with them every single day. Best of luck to you, my dear!
Thanks so much...I have spent around $3,000 !!! I will definitely look at the facercise site.
Carole Maggio - you can go onto her website facercise.com - I have her book that my mum gave me about 15 years ago but only started the exercises 18 months ago after I became disillusioned with the results I was getting with face fillers. I can see a definite improvement, my face has filled out, the lines around my mouth and on my jawline have diminished considerably. Ok it's not going to give your face the no wrinkle look that you can get with fillers and botox but it's natural, it's free and you really will notice a difference if you stick to the routine daily. I know there are a few different facial exercise programs on the net but this one works for me and I spend maxi 10 minutes a day doing it. I paid $1,000 (twice what I was originally led to believe it would cost me) for someone to botch up my under eyes - that's why I'm thinking twice about paying someone to try and rectify it. I have to say the facial exercises haven't help diminish the bumps under my eyes but my face certainly has a more youthful and perky look about it and I regularly get comments about not looking my age - at the end of the day it's easy to try out and its FREE.