bad results - Seattle, WA

I went to Dr. Richard Rand in 2004 for my first...

I went to Dr. Richard Rand in 2004 for my first breast lift, on the advice of a friend who had had augmentation implants done by him just a few months earlier. She was happy. So I met with him as well as another plastic surgeon just for comparison.

Dr. Rand definitely had a wonderful "bedside manner." He was ever so attentive and gave me a good explanation of the procedure and his special breast lift technique and I was convinced I had selected the perfect doctor for the job...OMG! Was I ever mistaken. I followed all the protocols, and was completely optimistic about the outcome.

First problem after the surgery was a very large--2 in. X 4 in. hematoma in my left breast. So the day following the surgery I had to go back and he opened the incision and drained it. Still, I was undaunted until the bandages came off a few days later. My Left nipple was markedly higher than the Right one. At my post-op appt. I expressed my concern about this and was assured that as soon as the swelling subsided it would be "fine." So I waited several weeks. The asymmetry of my nipples was still obvious--the Left being ONE INCH HIGHER than the other. I called to speak w/ Dr. Rand, but could only speak w/ his assistant who continued to tell me that my breasts had not yet "settled" enough to see the final results.

I continued to call as the weeks rolled by, but never could speak to the doctor and finally just gave up as I decided that I would never allow him to operate on my breasts again considering how he did not care at all about my satisfaction with his "special technique."

I kept pictures of the disparity and now, nine years later have finally had the breast lift redone by a skilled surgeon, and my nipples are on a symmetrical level. Finally. And only a few days have passed since the surgery. The earlier surgery done by Dr. Rand was a fiasco that cost me thousands of dollars and left me self-conscious about wearing clothing that could possibly show the outline of my uneven nipples. My solution was to always wear a slightly padded bra even though I certainly did not need extra volume.

Thank you for the review. We all know stuff happens and it's great to know how a doctor will react when it does not work the way you like. In the end I care more about results than bedside manner.
Reviews such as this are needed within this community. The doctors may object, but finding the right surgeon is of utmost importance to patients. Thank you for posting your experience, and I am glad your revision surgery went well! :)
I appreciate your comment. Thankfully, my revision surgery gave me the results I had anticipated 10 years ago. I'm comfortable and no longer feel self-conscious about looking "lopsided." I guess one lesson I learned (a little late) is that just because a surgeon may be good at doing implants doesn't necessarily mean s/he's good at breast lifts. Very different procedures. I based my choice of doctors on the results of a friend who had implants and was very happy. I should have pursued checking with women who had lifts, but 10 years ago, it seemed hard to find women to discuss these operations.
Seattle Plastic Surgeon

From a friend and Seattle Magazine that rated him as one of the BEST plastic surgeons in the area in 2003 and/or 2004.