My Journey to a Better Me

I am a 38-year old single mother of two children,...

I am a 38-year old single mother of two children, one child is 14-yrs old and the other is 4-yrs old.

Background: I have wanted a tummy tuck, after the birth of my 4-year old daughter, but since my credit wasn’t in good standing to get a loan, I had to wait and build my credit and/or save the amount needed to get the procedure done. In November 2010, I choose Dr. Shamhram Salemy, M.D, a plastic surgeon, in Seattle, Washington. When I met with Dr. Salemy, he was very professional, and polite. He also answered all 49 of my questions, had great reviews and references. Dr. Salemy was the perfect person to do my surgery. In June 2011, I was able to get a loan through “Medical Loan or Surgery Loans” (they are both the same company). First, I secured the loan for the surgery, and then contacted Dr. Salemy’s office to schedule the surgery. Unfortunately, Dr. Salemy’s office said they did not accept Surgery Loans, they only accepted CareCredit. Man, I was pissed; but to make a long story short, in order to get to receive CareCredit your credit score has to be 700 or higher, and mine was between 679 and 681.

After searching of months trying to find a doctor the fit my criteria, I located Dr. Sean Younai, in Encino, California. Dr. Younai, had great reviews and references, was very professional and polite, and his office took the Surgery Loans. My surgery is scheduled for March 15, 2012. I am very nervous and excited at the same time. I financed the entire amount, minus the $1,000 deposit to hold the surgery date. The reason why I financed the entire amount was because of the cost for an out of state procedure. The air fare, taxi’s, hotel, ect.

Procedure: High Tension Abdominoplasty with Liposuction of your Flanks, lower Back, Lateral/Outer Chest, and Inner Thighs

Cost: $11,700(procedure) + $2,000 (air fare, taxi’s, hotel, ect) Dr. Sean Younai's office, match the quote I received from Dr. Salemy’s office. I was really thankful they did or I would be unable to get this procedure. Dr. Sean Younai's office staff went beyond the call of duty to help me.

I am really committed to keeping my new body...

I am really committed to keeping my new body toned, so today I went to 24 hour fitness and purchased two 3 (1/2 hour) session with a personal trainer, and I am trying out two blender’s.

(1) Vitamix, and blender (2) Blendtec.

Yes, I did buy them both to try out. There is a 30-day return policy at Williams-Sonoma for the Vitamix, and I bought the Blendtec at Costco.

After having blending fun.

Okay, the winner is the blendtec! I was impressed by both blenders, but the blendtec was the winner for me, because of (1) the price, (2) longer warranty (8-yrs vs. 7-yrs), (3) better presetting's, (4) less manual work. As a single mom, I need simplicity. The Blendtec fits my needs more then the Vitamix did, and I also favor the Blendtec's recipe book more than the Vitamix's recipe book.

The countdown begins, and I have already begun...

The countdown begins, and I have already begun checking items off my list.

(1) Today got my manicure and pedicure, and I picked up my medication, which consisted of muscle relaxants, tranquilizers, antibiotic, nausea pills and pain killers.
(2) I have packed me and my daughter’s bag.
(3) My mom is coming into town on Wednesday a couple of hours before we fly out. My mom will be taking care my 4-year old daughter and me for a month.
(4) We are flying into LAX Wednesday evening, for my surgery in Thursday morning.

I really thought I would be more nervous, but I’m not. I am totally prepared.

I had my TT on 3/15/2012, and it went really well...

I had my TT on 3/15/2012, and it went really well.
I had no complications at all. I had no idea why I was so terrified, and now that is it is over, I feel like a whinny little baby…lol

I flew back to Washington on 3/21/2012, just 7...

I flew back to Washington on 3/21/2012, just 7 days after my surgery to finish my recovery. I have had some up and downs, but as the weeks progress I am getting more energy. I am still sleeping a lot, which is a good thing; because rest helps the body heals.

On March 27th and March 30th, I had my drains removed by Dr. Shamhram Salemy, a plastic surgeon here in Seattle Washington. Dr. Salemy, said the Dr. Younai, did good work, and that I am heal up nicely.
I am keeping in touch with Dr. Younai with weekly email and picture updates. I have to say, for a doctor Dr. Younai, answers my emails the very next day.

I am planning to fly down to Encino, California, for my first month update with Dr. Younai. I am also trying to set-up job interviews since I would like to move to CA soon.

This week was a little bummed out, maybe...

This week was a little bummed out, maybe it’s because I went back to work on 4/2/2012, with terrible back pain.
I have been using a cane for a couple of weeks now, to help support me.

I am fed up with being hunched over, so after speaking with my surgeon, I slathered my tummy with eucerin cream and extra virgin olive oil, which actually made me feel better. And it also helps your skin while you are trying to straighten up your back.

I am using both my compression garment and a back & waist braces to help support my abs and back while I stretch very slowly from side to side.
OMG! It worked! I am being to stand up straight, little by little every day.
This is day two walking without the cane.
Tomorrow, I think I will go for a walk after a morning ab stretch. Oh, and while you are sitting, act like you have a rod up your back. And before you get up after sitting for a long time, try to stretch out abs a little bit; and again, walk like you have a rod up your back.

On Sunday, I walked from my apt to the park which...

On Sunday, I walked from my apt to the park which is 0.7 miles away. Then I walked around the park twice. I felt really good.

I have been working hard to strengthen my back and stretch out my abs, so I can walk without the hunch. A combination of the compression garment and compression belt are helping at lot.

Also started using the med honey for the scar treatment. If you want to know more, check out my earlier post.

I am almost at the 1 month point, and I have been...

I am almost at the 1 month point, and I have been feeling okay. I have my good days and bad days. I did not expect the road of recovery to be long and hard.
Ahhhh, the price of beauty, who knew the pain would be so high….hahahahahaha!

I am still swollen which is to be expected, but massaging the areas with olive oil, which has helped. I also have been using the Manuka Honey or medHoney on the scaring, which actually help heal the scar faster. Please see the pictures I provided below, you can barely see my scare.

For those who are skeptical about using the honey, I personally do not use western medicine very much. The honey is a natural approach to healing. There is documented proof of the healing powers of different kinds of honey.
I slather the honey on my incision and I drink the honey in my tea. I would never post anything that was bad for anyone.

If you have a cold or a bad cough, I would recommend, buckwheat honey. Buckwheat honey is safe to give to children over 1-years old and up. Both Manuka Honey and buckwheat honey you cannot find in a general store. And make sure you buy organic.

16 Months down!

Well, it's been a little over a year, and I am doing well. I am still unhappy with the back fat, and I have not rescheduled my revision procedure yet.

WEIGHT LOSS
In the last year I have maintained a consistent weight of 172 pounds, although the last few month I have lost 8 pounds. Today, I weighted in at 164 pounds.

SIDE EFFECTS
In the incisions areas my hips are tight and every now and then, I have a very slight shape pain on my pelvic bone. I can no longer do a full back bend, and my abs are still tight and stiff, which means I have to take more time to warm up, but other than that, no other side effects.

WOULD I DO IT AGAIN?
Yes, I would do it again, but I would make sure the doctor knew that procedures he/she was preforming.
Here is my advice, (1) do your homework on the doctor, (2) contact some of his/hers clients, (3) and make sure all the areas you are having work done are clearly marked, because when doctors get into the surgery room, they cannot remember everyone's procedures.

If you have questions, please feel free to contact me.

Overall experience with S. Sean Younai

REVISION
In December 2013, Dr. Younai gave me a complementary liposuction procedure under local anesthetic.
My overall experience of the complementary liposuction procedures under local anesthetic; it was horrible.
The procedure itself was very painful to a point where I could not continue, the pain medication I was told to take was not working, and the entire trip cost me a few of days of gas, food, lodging and more time I will never get back. Worse of I did not have any noticeable results, although I was told the lipo under under local anesthetic would yield mid results I did not know how minimal it would be.

OVERALL EXPERIENCE
I am very happy with the tummy tuck, there is no question Dr. S. Sean Younai did a wonderful job on my tummy tuck, however I am super pissed off about the not having two procedures done, which were the back liposuction and the inner thigh liposuction.

Although Dr. Younai gave me a "complementary liposuction" procedure under local anesthetic, that does not ameliorate the situation.
This is only my opinion, but I think the only reason why Dr. S. Sean Younai gave me a complementary procedure was out of guilt. Instead of simply admitting a mistake was made and tried to remedy the situation, Dr. S. Sean Younai got really nasty and defensive in a email he wrote to me. (Email posted above)

Tummy Tuck: I would give Dr. S. Sean Younai 5 stars, because he did do a wonderful job.
Back liposuction: Never receive the procedure $1,500 down the drain.
Inner thigh liposuction: Never receive the procedure $1,500 down the drain.
Revision back liposuction (December 2013): Unsatisfactory, and cost me an additional $300 to $400 in gas, food, lodging and time.

I am currently interviewing other plastic surgeons in the SF bay area who specialize in liposuction, laser liposuction, and body contouring.
I learned a valuable $3,000 lesson, which will cost me an addition $4,000 to get the results I wanted in the first place.

WORD OF CAUTION
I would personally never, ever go to Dr. S. Sean Younai, for anything dealing with liposuction or body contouring, but he is excellent at tummy tucks.

Thank you for reading and good luck to you.
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Younai, his anesthesiologist and his staff, did everything in their power, to place my fear at eased at ease in regards the entire procedure. Everyone went beyond the call of duty to also place me and my mom’s fear at eased. I have nothing but glowing reviews in regards Dr. Younai and his entire staff. After my TT surgery, Dr. Younai, personally came to my hotel twice 2 days in a row to check in on me.