Belgian Rhinoplasty by Dr. Marcil - Belgium, BE

Hi, my story is not that different from the...

Hi, my story is not that different from the others, but I'm sharing it because it offers me a lot of help to be able to read how other people experienced their rhinoplasty. My nose has always bothered me, it literally prevents me from being happy. It feels, to me, as if wherever I go, whoever I meet, people always see my nose first. As if I can hear them thinking how big it is. I know this isn't how everybody thinks about me, but that's how unhappy it makes me feel. The instant I had the money, I called the doctor for an appointment, first to get some more info and to see if I liked him or not. It all turned out great, so I made the call for the actual operation. I've never been so nervous or excited before. The 4th of November, a regular monday, but for me, it's D-Day. Still have one more pre-op appointment to go, and I'll update my review afterwards. Fingers crossed. I'm just a little scared that I'll still think my nose is too big after surgery, like, maybe he didn't make it small enough. Any of you guys expercienced this fear? But I'll ask him the same question on the 29th of October :)

Pre-op consult

So, last Tuesday I had my last consult before the actual operation. I got a blood test, and I payed for the operation. Right now, I'm just counting down the days, Monday is the day. Finally.

I can't stop looking at my nose in the mirror, I keep pushing it into another shape with my fingers. I'm really curious. I told the doctor about my fear of still having a big nose afterwards, he assured me it wouldn't be the case. He looked me straight in the eyes and said: "No, I will make it shorter and smaller, it will be fine."

Right now, I'm not nervous. But I'm sure I'll feel nervous when I'll be there on Monday. The surgery will pe performed at his private practice, and I will meet the staff before having the operation. I have the appointment at 11 a.m. Fingers crossed!

First hours post-op

I had the surgery at around 11:30 pm. It lasted about 2 hours. I just got home, the doctor said I was fine so I could go home and rest. So, here I am, with a blocked nose, and a soar throat ( from intubation). So this afternoon, I'm going to rest, a lot, even though I find it hard to sleep like this.
My nose is very swollen right now. The nurses were very kind, so was the anesthesiologist. He had to put the needle to sedate me in the vain running across my wrist, rather than in my arm. But it didn't hurt a bit. He told me he had already injected a little bit of sedation, so I immediatly felt high and sleepy. But I tried to stay awake. Although I can't remember anything. I can still remember the doctor putting a marking on the birth mark I asked him to remove. But after that, black out. I woke up in a cozy bedroom, it took me a while to realize it wasn't 'my' room. Then I went to my room, still feeling a little dizzy, but I soon started to feel better.
I'm having my drains removed on Wednesday, and the cast comes off on Saturday. So, right now, I'm going to bed :)

Day 2

Just woke up from a terrible night of sleep. I slept a couple of hours, but I kept waking myself up with the weird sounds I make, now that my nose is fully stuffed :)). Besides that, no pain at all, just turning nice and blue. I had to change the drip pad, simply because it was completely filled with blood. I carefully pulled it off and managed to change it all by myself.
My nose is very, very swollen, looks a bit like a pig's nose, or a cow's nose to me. But tomorrow, the drains come out, so I'm excited to see how it will look :).

Day 3: nasal packing removal

So, this morning I went to the hospital to get my drains removed. Oh. My. God. It doesn't hurt like hell, but it kind of does, I don't know. All I know is that the doctor put some pressure on my cast, so it was tighter. The first day, he left some space between the cast and my nose, so there was some room for swelling. When he pushed it back, it was really sensitive, but it wasn't really painful.
The packings, well, I don't mean to scare you, but it hurts pretty bad. He pulled them out one at a time. The first bit doesn't hurt, it itches. But when he started to pull the part that was almost in my sinuses, THAT hurt. But I didn't cry or anything. I moaned, and told him it felt sooooo good to have them removed. Because it's a HUGE relief.
As soon as I got home, I rinced my nose with the sprays he prescribed me, I loved how it makes my nose feel fresh and clean.
Right now, I have to wait until Saturday, then he will remove the stitches, both in my nose and on my forehead, and the cast will come off. I hope the swelling reducew quickly :)

Day 4

It's been 4 days now since the surgery. I feel much better, I still have a blocked nose because of internal swelling but no pain, and no longer a 'heavy head'. The bruising is getting better also, although I still look a bit like a hamster :). It still feels a bit sensitive to breathe sometimes, but I can taste my food again. And I can drink soda without having the bubbles 'rise up into my nose'. Do, it's all good :)

Waiting for my smile to come back

I almost forgot to mention that I still can't fully smile. It's because they cut into some of the upper lip muscle, so that the nose has less tension on it. The muscle should regrow quickly, but until then, all of my smiles look fake. My upper lip is so stiff, I'm having a hard time brushing my teeth. But it's already getting a little bit better

Day 5

Just one more day and the cast comes off :). Right now, there's not really much to say. I've still got a blocked nose, but it's getting better every day. And I'm waiting for the bruising to go down. I am a little bit nervous for tomorrow, though, because I'm sure it will sting to get the stitches pulled out.

Day 6 - Cast Removal

I finally got my cast removed. It is still swollen, the doctor told me my nose will be another 2-3 mm shorter once the swelling went down, but it's already a huge difference. It pinched a little to get the stitches pulled out, and he used a disinfectant before and after. The smell of it was strong, I had a hard time breathing. So I told him, he smiled and said "You're going to be drunk".
Monday I have to start massaging my nose three times a day.

Day 6

Rhinopasty, almost 4 weeks ago

My nose is a little less swollen every day now. I keep taking pictures with the ipad to convince myself that it is smaller, because somehow, the rotten thought of a huge nose still hasn't left my mind :(. Besides that, I'm still happy I had the surgery, because I know there's a difference.
It is still sensitive to the touch, and sometimes the inside of my tip feels stingy. I also get a lot of crusting inside, so I take a Q-tip and gently remove the crusts. Because else, my nose gets stuffy. I don't remove the crusts from around the stitches though, don't want to tear anything.
Right now, I'm just waiting for my tip to get less swollen, because I don't like how it looks right now, and it feels so hard.

3 months post-op

My nose is getting less swollen over time. There is still some swelling where he fractured the bone (it's still a bit sensitive), and on the ridge of my nose. But I'm already enjoying life with my new nose. It feels as if I'm reborn, without the shame I had before. And because the Dr told me my nose will still get a little smaller when the swelling is all gone, I'm even more happy than I am now. The scar has almost disappeared.

Rhinoplasty, almost 1 year post-op

I'm already 'used to' living with my new nose. I feel free!
There is just some minor swelling left, but it gets better over time

1 year post-op.

It's been a year now. I still feel 'normal' (with my old nose I never felt normal or comfortable). I've had a consult with my doctor a few weeks ago, he told me it all healed really well. And then came his question...
"Are you satisfied?"
I smiled and replied:"Yes, but I wouldn't mind if my nose was a little smaller."
He told me that's not a problem and that, if I wish, he could still remove 1-2 millimeters of cartilage.
So I thought it through, and I'm doing it. I'm going for the extra millimeters. It seems tiny, but for me it's like "hey, you've already done the whole thing, why not shorten it some more?".
It's the bridge of my nose that troubles me sometimes, I asked him if it was still swollen because I thought it appeared to be. He told me that's the cartilage's shape, and that it's not going to change by itself anymore.
So, the 20th of November, I'm having the final surgery.
I don't want to call it 'revision surgery' because, it's not that I'm unhappy with the results, I'm just so obsessed with my nose that I don't think it will ever be small enough.
I am pretty nervous, since he told me he was going to perform the surgery under local anesthesia. And I don't like needles. At all. :(

1 year post-op

2nd surgery, right after

I just got back in my room. My throat is really sore. My nose does hurt a little bit, but it doesn't bother me.
Before the actual operation starter, the doctor assured me he was giving me full anesthesia, so I wouldn't have to worry about feeling anything. And before I even knew it, I was under.
Tomorrow I'm coming back here to have the bandage and small packings removed.

2nd Surgery, 1st day Post-op

I haven't been sleeping really well, because of the packing. And I've finally had the packing removed. Although the doctor only packed up one side of my nose, the side he 'cut' open, and it was a small pack, it still hurt a little bit. He put on two adhesive strips, for support and to prevent excess swelling, which I may remove Sunday evening.
I can already tell my nose is smaller. It's still swollen, which is normal, and one nostril is bigger than the other (packing), but that will disappear along with the swelling.
I have my next appointment one month from now. Swelling, be gone!

2nd Surgery, 2nd day post-op

My nose is already less swollen. I have a big crust now in my right nostril, right on the scar. But it doesn't feel uncomfortable. I'm using a moisturizing nose cleaner spray (sterimar, a microdiffusion of sea water) and antibiotic drops. I may use them 3-6 times a day, but I prefer not using them too much either.
I'll be happy removing the support strips tomorrow, because they make it hard to clean your face and to put on day cream etc. Also, my nose stopped dripping. Sneezing and coughing is still a discomfort.
Besides that: Happy to see my nose is smaller. My boyfriend thinks the difference is huge already, but I think it's just fine. I think that's because I'm so, so obsessed with my nose. Well, I think I can say 'was' now, since I really feel happy :)
Dr. Marcil

I have already been on a first consultation, he is very kind and gentle, a bit distant but this will get better I suppose. He explained every little detail of the surgery, and the post-op care, all my questions were answered