Rhinoplasty with Dr. Charbel Medawar (Beirut, Lebanon)

I've been scouring RealSelf rhinoplasty forums for...

I've been scouring RealSelf rhinoplasty forums for quite some time and decided to create my own blog of sorts. My procedure is booked for the 4th of August so I still have quite a bit to go but I thought that communicating with people who have gone through the experience or are about to will help me stay sane in the meantime. :)
So here goes my story -
When I was younger, I had undergone an injury which caused my right nostril to slit. I didn't think much about it then as I didn't really care about my nose. It got stitched by a surgeon who did a terrible job. However, when I turned about 17, my nose and my crooked nostril started really bothering me. While I'm generally OK with the overall shape of my nose, the nostril makes it appear quite crooked from the front.
All my family members think that I'm making a big deal out of nothing and tell me that they really can't see what's wrong which is frustrating. What I don't understand is why many people think that it's perfectly acceptable to get retainers in order to have nicer teeth, but when one wants to correct any other physical aspect, they find that unreasonable. My nose does make me feel insecure - I don't feel confident posing in front of the camera at all and I had spent about 5 hours editing all my wedding photos. This is really the last thing I want to be focusing on right now. I just feel that improving my nose will significantly improve my quality of life.

I have been in touch with Dr. Charbel for about a week now and my surgery is booked for the 4th of August. Have already booked my flights and I'll be staying at the Tamar Rotana Hotel which is quite close to the hospital where the surgery will take place.
I am very nervous and excited at the same time. Mostly nervous about GA (I do plan to consult if any other options are available) and the fact that I really want to achieve a very subtle change which is obviously not the easiest.

EDIT - I am having trouble uploading photos for some reason.

Sending simulations to the doc

I just discovered this app called Plastic Surgery Simulator Lite so I decided to send some photos I created to the doctor (I just e-mailed him my original photos before and explained what I wanted). Let's see what he says.

Some Celebrity Noses I Really Like

Do you think I should go ahead and send some of these to my surgeon?
Obviously, I know that having a nose that's identical to a celebrity's is never possible but I'd like him to see the kind of look I like. Thoughts?

1 month to go!

Hi guys!
So I have exactly 1 month to go... feeling so excited yet nervous. Last night I even had a dream that I was undergoing surgery. Yupp... I know.
So at this point I'm trying to compile a list of things I'll need after my surgery (including meds). I'm a little confused because some people wrote that they were taking anti-inflammatories post surgery whereas I read that these can cause blood thinning and excessive bleeding. If anyone has a good list of essentials I should prepare beforehand, I'd love to hear it. I'm going to another country to have the surgery done so I really need to bring these items along with me.

List of Essentials

So I compiled a little list of essentials I'll need for the surgery.
- U-shaped travel pillow
- Gauze pads
- Q tips
- Saline nasal spray
- Bromelain
- Pain killers (Panadol?)

I don’t think I’ll stock up on oral antibiotics unless the doctor says it’s absolutely necessary as I’ve gone years without taking any.
Do let me know if I missed out anything important.

GA Question

So, just like in so many other reviews I have read, I am also really scared about GA. On top of that, I don't know anyone who has personally gone through GA - no one in my immediate family has had it done (besides my cats when they were getting neutered but can't really ask them, can I? :P).
I think it's just the thought of me lying there and having no control or recollection of what's going on around me. That's really scary to me. Also, in most reviews I've read and the rhinoplasty vlogs I've watched, everyone just says - I passed out and then woke up, etc. Did anyone experience any dreams during GA? How does it feel to go under?

I like her nose too

Just a short update to keep track of more noses that I like. That would probably sound very strange anywhere else. :)

Just 2 weeks to go!

Hi guys,
I have exactly 2 weeks to go! It's finally starting to feel more real. Naturally, I'm feeling nervous. I'm actually more nervous about the entire surgery than the healing process (I can bear pain alright) and the outcome. The thought of going under still freaks me out a considerable amount. I have a feeling that I won't be able to sleep the night before surgery and will probably be a nervous wreck on the day. :(
Today I also received a message saying that my nose is perfect and that I shouldn't be getting any procedure. This is pretty much what I've been hearing from my family the whole time and it does get a little bit annoying. I know that people mean well but I don't think they really understand that my nose has brought me a lot of suffering over the years. No, I haven't been bullied; it's all a matter of self-esteem - avoiding cameras, standing in a certain way when talking to people so I face them at the right angle... just basically feeling insecure.
On a more positive note, I've been drinking a lot of pineapple juice from my special pineapple glass. :)

Just a week left!

Next week, at this time, I should be out of surgery. I'm starting to get really nervous. I'm also excited. It's really a mixture of different emotions at this point. I can't imagine how I'll feel on the very day and the night before.
I got myself this little neck pillow. Isn't it cute? :)

Flying to Beirut tomorrow

The husband and I are flying to Beirut tomorrow. It's a 4-hour flight from Dubai. I will try to update once I'm there though our hotel doesn't have free Internet which I'm not too happy about but oh well. Just a few more days left!

I made it!

Just wanted to update everyone and say that I'm alive.
I've bruised a lot more than I expected though but I guess it varies from person to person.
I am going to have the packing removed on Wednesday. This is just a quick update and I will try to write more tomorrow.

Day 3 - Time to Update

I'm on Day 3 right now and finally have enough energy to write a proper update.

Day of Surgery
I arrived at HIMC at around 7:30 a.m. to open my file. Luckily, the taxi trip is just 5 mins long from the Tamar Rotana Hotel. I was then told to change into the hospital clothes (for all those who don't know, you have to remove ALL your clothes including your underwear. I wasn't certain about that at first). A nurse then came in to take my blood pressure and do some blood tests. I was then given the IV after which a few more doctors came in to ask about my general health and any allergies I may have. The anaesthesiologist also gave me some pills to keep me calm as I was feeling very nervous. After this, Dr. Medawar came in for a consult as this was the first time he actually met me. He took some photos and we discussed the changes that would be made to my nose. After he left, it was time for me to leave for my operation. As I was getting wheeled off, another nurse injected some sedative into the IV and I felt very drowsy. I said bye to my husband and they wheeled me off to the elevator. I don't really remember much beyond that. I know that there were a lot of people fussing over me right before surgery and the last thing I remember was the anaesthesiologist leaning over me and telling me to think about something pleasant as I'd get to dream about it then. I immediately thought about my two cats back home.
Upon waking up, I remember someone telling me that it's over and that I have amazing results. Another nurse kept telling me to keep my eyes open - I guess to make sure that I'm fully out of the GA. They also put an oxygen mask over my mouth and told me to breathe deeply. My throat was dry beyond belief and really hurt (must have been from the tube). I was taken into my room where they put ice packs over my eyes. The weird thing is, I couldn't sleep at all. I felt thirsty and exhausted but couldn't sleep a wink. I was offered water, some food (a veggie sandwich, some apple juice, a yellow custard dessert and a salad) after 6 p.m. I ate a bit of the sandwich and dessert and drank the juice while my husband helped finish the rest. After I was done eating, the nurse asked me to get up and she helped me walk around a little. I felt completely fine and was able to walk without any problems. It was then time to go home. They removed the IV (finally) and I changed into my clothes. We went back to the hotel in a taxi. I felt more or less fine. There was no vomiting and the pain in my nose completely disappeared after I took the pain meds.

Day 1
My swelling was beyond belief on Day 1 and I didn't feel my best due to the packing in my nose. My swelling was so bad that I could barely keep my eyes open; however, this only lasted a few hours. In the afternoon, I took a short nap, and the swelling around my eyes greatly subsided after that. I spent the entire day in bed watching TV shows. I didn't feel like eating much thanks to the packing.

Day 2
Still quite a bit of swelling that seems to have spread to my jaw as well. I look like a hamster with permanently stuffed cheeks. At around 11 a.m., we went back to HIMC to get the packing from my nose removed and I immediately felt better. There is some mild pain around my nose from time to time, but the pain killers help a lot.

Day 3
I think the swelling has reduced a bit and the bruises are starting to look more blue instead of the bright red colour they were. I'm feeling more or less OK - just a little tired and bored to be honest. Staying at home for 3 consecutive days isn't really me. I wish I could see what my nostrils look like but there is gauze over them so I really don't want to mess with it.

Tomorrow is the Moment of Truth

So I'm currently on Day 6 and I'm getting my split and stitches removed tomorrow... I guess that'll be my moment of truth. I am rather nervous. I guess since my nose wasn't very large to begin with, it is really hard to see what is different under the cast.
We are also flying back home tomorrow. I can't wait to be with my cats again.
The past couple of days have been OK. The swelling is pretty much gone now. I still have minor bruising which seems to be migrating to the bottom of my cheeks. I still get sporadic pain every now and then. It's nothing unbearable though and a painkiller takes care of it in an instant.
In terms of recovery, it really hasn't been that bad. Day 1 was the worst for me as I could barely keep my eyes open but the following days showed so much improvement.
I will most likely only get to update once I'm back home so wish me luck!

Cast Removal - So far, so good!

I got my cast removed yesterday and so far, so good. The minute the cast came off, I really liked the shape of my nose and I hope it will only get better. The following hours were tough (waiting for many hours at a crowded mall before we headed to the airport, a long flight back home, waiting for what seemed like an eternity for our luggage to arrive, etc.). We only got home after 6:30 a.m. at which point I was awake for at least 22 hours. When we got home, I had a terrible headache which didn't go away despite the pain killers. I went to bed but didn't have the best sleep and I was a little worried that one of my cats might head-butt me from all the excitement (we've been away for 9 days). That luckily didn't happen though one of them seemed particularly curious about my taped-up nose and even sniffed it a couple of times (lol).
After I woke up from my nap, I removed the tape and took a nice long bath. Unfortunately, my nose swelled up like crazy right after the bath especially on the right side (that's where my bone was broken and my skin is still yellow from the bruising). I almost cried when I saw myself in the mirror but quickly reminded myself not to panic. Taped my nose again. My doctor recommended that I keep taping it for the next 2 weeks so that's what I'm going to do. I also feel that the taping forms some kind of a barrier between me and my nose, otherwise I might be looking at it 24/7 and driving myself crazy.
I'm attaching some photos from the cast removal day after I got taped up. Please excuse my bad skin.

10 Days Post-Op

Still feeling rather congested as a result of not being able to breathe through my nose a 100%. I tried to remove some of the crusts from inside my nostrils but it was rather painful so I think I'll wait to heal some more as I'm scared of pulling out the stitches and having a nose bleed. I'm taped up pretty much the entire time (doctor's orders), so I only get to see my nose properly when I change the tape. So far, I think it looks good though I'm a little worried that the right side is sticking out a bit more than the left (this is how it was initially which gave my nose a slightly crooked appearance). I read that the nose has a way of "remembering" the way the cartilage and the skin was aligned which makes it particularly hard to fix crooked noses. I'm hoping it's swelling though since that's when the doctor broke my nose to re-align it and that it will even out eventually.
I still have a blue/purple bruise under my right eye which doesn't seem to want to go away. The rest of the bruising is yellow now so I'm hoping it'll go away in a few days. I have a job interview in 10 days so I'm really hoping the bruising is gone by then or at least that I can do a good job with the make-up. So far I like my nose but I wan't to give it at least 1-2 months to heal before making any final judgments.

11 Day Post-Op

I still feel like there is more bone on the right side of my nose (just as before). I'm very happy with the left side of my nose but that has always been my good side. I know that I'm only 11 days post-op and it's too early to tell but I'm feeling a little bit discouraged. :(

12 Days Post-Op

I chatted with Dr. Charbel today to let him know about my concerns about the right side of my nose. He told me that at this point, it's too early to tell if it's excess bone or swelling especially since he did more work on the right side so it could well be much more swollen than the rest, but if it doesn't improve in a few months, he will rasp the bone for me which is a simple procedure done under local anaesthesia. That's a huge relief but we will see how it goes!
Besides that my tip is really swollen, numb and hard as a rock but I know that's to be expected. I was just wondering (although I know that the swelling in the tip takes the longest to subside) - when do you start feeling that your tip "belongs" to you again and when does it start getting a little softer?

Having a Good Nose Day :)

So the past three days have been tough on me emotionally. I was feeling very down, didn't like my nose, and was almost starting to regret the whole decision. Today I woke up and felt much better. I must say that I'm having a pretty good nose day today and I actually like it. Even my husband, who thought that I didn't need any surgery in the first place, told me that my nose looks "cute" and that it was a good decision. :) I also feel like the bump on the right side is slightly smaller (but even if I'll have to get it filed down later on, I don't really mind). I just have to wait to see.
I just want to say that having ups and downs during recovery is completely normal but I wasn't much prepared for it. I think it's normal to go through the "regret phase" as well. Comparing the way we are healing to others might also be detrimental. I have seen reviews of women who were thrilled about their results right away and since that wasn't the case for me, I automatically thought that something must be wrong. We all heal differently and we've all had slightly different procedures done - that's what I keep telling myself now.
Also, watching funny TV shows and movies definitely helps keep my mind off my nose.

Not that much to update on

I've been kind of focusing on other things. I've been going for job interviews, etc., so I haven't had much time to dwell on my nose.
As for my nose, I can definitely see some improvements. The swelling on the bridge seems to have gone down a lot (if not completely). Sadly, I'm pretty sure I'll need to have the right side rasped as I'm sure now that it's bone. :( The tip of my nose is still very numb and feels super hard but I feel like a lot of the swelling has gone down as well. The nostril definitely looks better. I still tape my nose throughout the day if I'm home and I keep taping at night.
I'd really be a 100% happy with it if not for the bulge on the right side but oh well. Gotta wait a few more months.
Dr. Charbel Medawar

We have communicated via e-mail so far and the doctor seems friendly and genuine. He is prompt to reply as well.

Hun it's completely normal to feel that way. I did too even though I couldn't have been so descriptive I still look in the mirror and see some swelling but I am telling you everyday I wake up and my nose looks different it gets smaller more defined. No mothers nose stayed up and high for about 7 months before it dropped down and straightened up so you just need to give it time.
Thank you so much. I really hope I start liking it more in the next few weeks. It seems to look different every single day.
It's interesting that we are both at the same stage and have the same problem in regards to swelling...good that your doctor has reassured you that it's an easy thing to fix if that needs to be done. I hope for both our sake that the swelling just goes down though...
Yes, I really do hope that it goes down for both of us. Mine actually feels quite hard though which is why I'm worried that it's bone rather than only swelling. How does yours feel to the touch?
did you try contacting the Doctor? maybe he can answer your questions. Don't feel discouraged yet. You can't tell already if there is a problem. hopefully it will turn out to be as you wanted it to be
I chatted with him today and he told me that at this point it's too early to tell what is swelling and what is bone but if it doesn't go down after 3 months, he will rasp the bone for me which is a simple procedure done under local anaesthesia.
Looks cute. Can't wait to see more photos and hear more updates.
Thank you! I'm not a 100% sure how I feel about it yet. I can see some improvements but I still feel like there is more bone on the right side of my nose (just like before). I hope it's because of the swelling. :(
It's looking great! and fits you perfectly. I'm glad you got home and were reunited with your cats. After my nose surgery my cat was also curious about my cast and post surgery supplies and would always stay with me.
Thank you so much! Yeah, cats are so silly and adorable. I've missed mine so much for the 9 days that I was away.
Wish you the best results and looking forward to seeing your new nose.
Good luck tomorrow
Thank you so much. I posted an update with some photos. :)
Good luck for you tomorrow
Thank you. I posted an update. :)
Hey! I am considering a rhinoplasty in Lebanon and the only doctor I seemou to find reviews for is Dr.Charbel Medawar I was wondering if you can give me his email address so I can contact him and Get well soon! waiting for your photos :)
Inbox me I will forward you his number
I PM'd you, dear. :)
Hi there, I'm also trying to get hold of Dr Medawar and was wondering if you'd be able to forward his direct email to me too please? thank you
Get well soon!!! it only gets better from here! You will love your new nose!
Thank you, dear. :)
Wishing you a speedy recovery x which hosp did your surgery end up at?
Thanks! It was at the HIMC hospital.
Happy healing. Glad it's over!
Thanks! Me too. :)