Lapband: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - Beaumont, TX

Did LOTS of research and decided on lapband...

Did LOTS of research and decided on lapband because it was the least dangerous. Banded 11/08. The first 25 pounds were super easy, but then I had to get with the program. In the next 3 years I lost 100 pounds.

In 06/11 I had lower body lift, and all the typical work women want. Then in September I began getting very sick, and the band had slipped. Me and my doctor tried everything to save it, but I ended up with a perforated stomach with emergency removal on 9/11. Honestly, and I am not going to lie here, I thought I was dying. It was truly the most terrifying moment in my life, and my poor husband's too. Spent 1 night in the ICU, and got out of the hospital 4 days later. Was sick for several weeks after, but was emotionally drained after that experience.

I was in a rut for about 4 months, and am just now coming out of it. But the one thing that I have said, even through all the hell I went through, and you can even say I'm crazy if you want, is that I would still recommend the band. It got me where I wanted to be, and I would never have done it on my own. I was on my way to having it removed (was going into surgery the next day) when I had to have the emergency removal. God just had other plans for me, and the rest of my weight loss journey (or maintaining or whatever it will be from here on out) is on me.

You have to do your own research, make educated decisions about the WLS you are thinking about, research your doctors and facility, and just be realistic about what you think you are capable of doing for yourself. Email me if you have any questions and I will be happy to try to help. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Schrapps/Christus St. Elizabeth Bariatric Center

Would definitely recommend Dr. Schrapps. Not really feeling the love for his partner, although he probably saved my life while my doctor was out of town so I will not bash him on here. Lost 100 pounds in 3 years, perforated stomach almost 3 years later so it had to come out and I will probably never be a candidate for another WLS due to the location of the perforation. BUT I would still recommend the band. It is a tool, and it will not work by itself, so do not expect it to do it by itself. You still have to eat right and exercise, this will just help with your portions. If you follow the program, it WILL work for you. Even with the issues I had I would still do it again. I feel like I have been given a head start to be where I am today, and I am ahead of where I thought I would ever be.