Waste of Money and Not Worth the Side Effects - Bay Area, CA

I had an eyebrow that sometimes appeared slightly...

I had an eyebrow that sometimes appeared slightly lower than the other. No one but me ever noticed this and it was only apparent sometimes. The surgeon recommended a brow lift. I wasn’t sure I needed this surgery and flip-flopped changing my mind a few times.

The reason I went to see this surgeon was for a rhinoplasty estimate not for a brow lift. This doctor always tells you to wait for his assistant before leaving. She then arrives with estimates of anything that was mentioned during the appt. I ended up with many estimates for up to 6 procedures. I mentioned a few times that I didn’t think I needed all these and should probably wait until I’m older. Now I understand that they have all been trained very well to sell, sell, sell. They add all these procedures with a high price and then take off a huge amount at the end so it appears as if you’re getting them at a substantial bargain IF you do them all at once. When it was time to sign the consent forms for this, I said I wouldn’t do it because it sounded too scary and I was not convinced I even wanted this surgery. The pre-op nurse said to talk to the Dr. because the paperwork was outdated and didn’t pertain to the method that he used. She said the doctor only used 2 screws. The thought of screws on my skull still scared me so I told the doctor that I would not be doing the surgery but he assured me that he didn’t use screws and that I would only have 2 stitches, one above each eyebrow, behind the hairline.

Two days before the surgery, I spoke to the Dr. on the phone because I had reservations. He assured me that I wouldn’t look weird and told me that people will think I look refreshed and assume I must have a new hair style. I ended up with 5 incisions, each with a few stitches, and with some foreign objects placed under my skin, attached to my skull! They feel like small marbles and are very sensitive to touch. Even 3 months later, I must brush and wash my hair carefully because they still sensitive. I get a lot of dull headaches because I feel like I’m wearing a very tight visor that I can’t take off. I feel tinges of pain here and there. I often have to massage my forehead to relieve the tension. And ONE EYEBROW IS STILL SOMETIMES LOWER THAN THE OTHER and I have a WEIRD UNNATURAL LOOK.

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

My doctor didn't tell me Anything! I'm so stupid to not have done research before the procedure. They told me it was NO Proplem and it would make a huge improvement on my looks ...nope I look just the same on my upper. The rest of my facelift came our remarkable. I love it. But it's hard to enjoy anything when your crippled in pain in your head. Brow lifts are barbaric. They cut nerve endings that should never ever be messed with. I really like my doctor and most of his staff I'm extremely surprised they did this to me. He has removed cancer off my face (nose) and you could barely see it. He gave me the perfect Tummy Tuck. He did remarkable liposuction on the top of my thighs. I always thought he was great. He did my eyes upper and lower. I can't believe he would give me a brow lift. I have had much sadness in my life and this is the last thing in the world I needed. Health Problems in the 20% of time I have on this earth being 60 years old. Is all about money? I would pay to have my active life back. I have a problem with going public with my story , for I have known my doctor and staff for many many years. In fact his own wife had a brow lift! He says I'm the one in a million to have headache. No I don't think so! He did not tell me the risk but I'm the stupid one I should have researched it before the surgery. Total facelift and brow lift cost 20,000.00
I can't speak for your doctor, but in my case, I was given many reasons to believe it was all about the money. I was hoodwinked into these surgeries by lies and sales pitches.
I do 't think I was totally hoodwinked but he definitely did not give me the full story. He also told me I had a hernia between my eye and eyebrow and later denied he had ever said it. On 27 October I am seeing another Opthamologist and I am curious to see what she says. I wonder how long they can continue to treat people so badly. You think the govt has tolegislate these doctors one day or maybe someone will go on TV with her/his story. But just like you I think my eyebrow lift was also purely for the money
1953...which dr Lopez was your ps? There are at least 2 with that name...thanks grace60
Faith~~ if you can work out without getting a headache do it! I really wish I could go to the gym. If I did my head would be pounding and pounding for 24 hours! What did your dr. Say about your droopy eyes? Can he fix them.... I'm very ad at my doctor but I know if something like that happened he would fix it for free. I understand you probably do not want to have anymore surgery.... I know I don't. I don't think my doctor could fix my headaches. I wish he would have communicated with me about what I was in for....
I am sorry to hear about the bad headaches you get. I don't know why some doctors used screws. My specialist thank goodness did not use any screws although I am not happy with him either because he wrote down for me that it would all be over in 3, 4 up to 6 months. It has now been 7 1/2 months and I still have that tightness on my forehead and head and sometimes bad headaches. I hope people read our stories and think very, very carefully before they have an eyebrow lift. I certainly would not recommend it to anyone. If you continue to have your bad headaches I would go and see another specialist if I were you to see what he says. I have even had an x ray made of my head to make sure that nothing was wrong and I am so glad I had this x day so I do not have to constantly worry that there is something seriously wrong. All the best. Ineke
Does anyone know anything about dissolvable screws?? I have 2. They are painful and feel hard sand.
I was told by nurse that I would have them but when I wanted to back out of surgery the doctor told me that he doesn't use screws and I would only have to stitches; one above each eyebrow.  This turned out to be untrue. I think I had them but perhaps they are not called "screws" by all people.  I had something that I could feel for a long time that was very sensitive to the touch....very sensitive...had to brush my hair very gently so I didn't accidentally touch them.  Anyway, they eventually dissolve after a year or so.  Wish the headaches would dissolve too :)
Thank you faith~~ so they will take abt a year to dissolve! How are you sleeping. I'm not without taking a sleeping aid... And oh I can't forget to take my 800 mg of Motrin. 3 Xs a day! I have to sleep elevated on my back. I usually don't fall asleep until 1:00 AM luckily I don't have to go to work and I'm blessed with my husband and daughter who help me a lot. Oh the guilt all because of me being so Vain.
Kate~~ thank you for the tip abt the oil for my dry scalp.do you think I will loose my hair on the top of my head? I don't understand why you have droopy eye lids from a Brow lift? I had my eyes done along with the facelift. It was miserable but healed up the fasted. Thank goodness. Still like I said in my other post~~ no one noticed I had them done! That was a big risk to take for nothing. This is all so NOT worth it!
Faith ~~ I'm so sorry about your eyes and having 50 % of your life! Are your headaches severe? Mine are crippling. Will I ever be able to workout, go hiking, or travel again?
Thank you 1953. My headaches can escalate to "crippling" if I don't take care of them in time. I have to keep a bottle of headache medicine on my office desk, nightstand, purse, and even put some in the glove comp of my car. I have been thin my entire life and also have gained a lot of weight since surgery. 20+lbs and even the doctor told me during my physical that is too much weight to gain in a short amount of time. She wants me back at the gym but since I look weird without my glasses (they cover dents from a bad rhinoplasty) and I just never seem to feel good any more, I stopped going to the gym. I finally had to accept I am not going to get skinny again anytime soon and go spend a few hundred dollars to buy some clothes that fit me.
I can't tell the difference. I had a party and no one could tell I had anything done!! Except they did mention I had gained weight! Lol. Re: I can't exercise so I'm out of shape. I had my eyes done, upper an lower. A Whole face lift including my neck. . I really wish I would have studied about this before I did it. My face and eyes are good. It's the brow lift that is causing me much grief. The screws are sensitive. I can't do much of anything with out havin the head aches. I HAD a full life with my family. I miss long walks with my daughter every morning with my darling 3 year grandson. He's mad at me! How do I explained Grandma screwed up our special time? This is stuff I can't put a price on, it's priceless time an age he will never be again. I'm taking way too much Motrin and worried about it effecting my liver. I'm very upset with my doctor and staff. They know me well. They encouraged the brow lift. Told me it was no big deal. EASY! I have a question about the Argan Oil. Will it make my hair completely oily??
I had a brow lift 6 weeks ago. If I do house work, go on a walk, go up and down the stairs ....I get a headache that is so painful. Tingly sharp pains. The top of my head is very dry. I take motion 800 3 times a day. If I miss it I get a headache. This is not what I signed up for...cost $10,000.00 What can I put on my scalp so it won't be so dry? I can't exercise, I'm gaining weight. I can't go in the sun. I can't do much of anything.
Argan oil works for dry scalp but it is really oily. I use it. I also had the brow lift and not happy. At first I was, but now I still have droopy eye lids.
I'm sorry...that was a lot of money you paid.  I totally regret and hate my brow lift.  It will be two years for me in November, and I have a headache about 50 % of the time now.  Luckily I don't have that dry itchy scalp that you have.  I still get sudden little pains here and there so I guess I'm still healing.  Although, I hate the headaches, I hate the way it changed my appearance even more.
When do the headaches end???
Faith, you are the only one whose story sounds identical to mine. I had hoped noone else would go through what I went through but it certainly sounds like you have. You are the first to have had the same identical sales pitch that I had. I had no idea that I would have screws and post put into my head. It has been 10 yrs. and I'm about insane. Sleeping has become something from the past. My head has had infection in it from the beginning with huge lumps very sore. I've had I don't know how many biopsies. He used Vicryl, Prolene,, and Ethibond on my head and I had Enodoscopic Brow Lift and yes, there are different procedures. I had some kind of object placed in my head, as you did, and I must be allergic to it. From the beginning, I had itching, severe pain, hair coming out, redness, large lumps, I have taken antibotics for almost 10 yrs. with yeast infection every time I had a full blown case with all the above happening at one time. I don't have fingernails so I used a comb. The doctors tell you to keep your hands/fingers out of your head, but NO WAY, YOU ARE IN TOO MUCH PAIN. I sleep with a comp on my chest, pitiful ...right. I pray daily for some help and maybe soon it will come. I've had hard medal like objects to come loose in my head with tiny tack protruding from my scalp and pain there is no end. My head swells so large it burst in placing and water or something comes out of my head. Oh, I too got the same sales pitch if I had it all done now, he would cut the price alot ! I have finally found someone that has identical symptoms, procedure, etc. like mine. I don't go anywhere, I'm in too much pain, I have to take pain pills also for extreme pain and severe pain in my back. I have a sunken place on each side of my outer eye. The eye doctor told me that I might loose one eye. I have a drug store in my home. I have spent a fortune on my head and seems no end in sight. I don't care at this point about wrinkles, I just want my HEALTH back and BE FREE OF PAIN. Hope yours doesn't last as long as mine, may God bless you!
George, I'm so truly very sorry for what you've went through for the last 10 years.  Have you asked about a reversal?  I've read quite a few other reviews where people have also suffered from constant itching and loss of hair.  I'm in much better shape than you are.  My main complaints, other than deep regret and the waste of money, are the way I look now, the tightness, and headaches.  Other than the headaches, I have little pain...just tinges here and there. I got a referral to a neurologist but the cost was $821 for one appointment so I had to cancel.  Plastic surgery was by far the stupidest thing I have ever done.  After years of raising children, I thought I would finally do something for myself.  How I wish I would have taken a vacation instead. It's been a nightmare so I can't even imagine what you've been through....it sounds just horrible!  Wishing you health and happiness.  Take good care.
I too have the tightness and headaches. It feel like fishing cord streched around and around my head. I have deep sutures and my head sinks down on top due to all the pulling. These fishing cords I call them, cut down into my head and its so much pain. As I said before, your description and what you thought sounds identical to mine. I too wish I had my 11,000 and all the doctor bill money back for the past 10 yrs but its gone and all I wanted was to feel better and that still stands true "I just want to be well again" it has taken a toll on my health. One doctor said "he must have dropped a ball of sutures in your head and left them" and LOL but it isn't funny to me. I think I've killed myself by having this endoscopic brow lift and the Vicryl he used.
Hi George, I am extremely sorry to hear what you have had to go through after your Endoscopic Browlift. that is absolutely horrendous and over such a very long period. I wonder if you are not entitled to take it to some Complaints organisation so you can get compensation and maybe something can be done by another specialist to fix this awful situation. I think it is really criminal that you have had to go through all that. You probably had to sign for "all care and no responsibility" but your situation warrants a formal complaint. Your problems are well outside any reasonable scenario. I would certainly make enquiries if I were you. I am pleased that output your story on Real Self so other people can see what can happen. I had an Endoscopic Browlift 5 1/2 months ago but I did not have any hardware put in my head. They pulled out threads that ran across my forehead. I still have tightness on my head and sometimes a headache. Even living with this pressure on your head daily is not very nice, I think people should think very carefully before they go ahead with this awful operation. Thank you for telling your story and I truly hope you will be able to find a solution to your problems so you can live without pain.
Hi Faith, I am very sorry that you are still so unhappy with your surgery. As I have mentioned before that whole area needs stricter legislation. I hope they did not put hardware under my skin. I still have the tightness on the top of my head after 5 1/2 months. Just like you I feel I did not need the endoscopic eyebrow lift. I have a scar just above my eyebrow on the right hand side. The specialist, in hindsight, must have thought I had wrinkles in my forehead due to pulling up my eyebrow. That was not the case. I just had frown wrinkles on my forehead and no wrinkles anywhere else. But he also assured me I needed the endoscopic browlift. I feel I should never have had the procedure as I am still stuck with the same problems as I had before and still need the eyelid lift. I feel some specialists are in it just for the money and yours seems to be one of them. Unfortunately I don't think you will get much satisfaction out of them because I am sure you are not the first one to complain and I would not be surprised if they have all possibilities of complaints covered. Anyway have a go. Sue the pants of him and I am interested to hear if you had any success.
Thank you Leniesart and I hope it gets better for you.  I 100% agree that we need stricter legislation.  At this time, doctors who care only of the money and themselves have the advantage.  Too many trusting people had their lives ruined by unethical pratices.  It happens way too often. Best of luck to you.
P.S. i cant imagine why he would put hardware in there. I thought they were supposed to use stitches. Did he say they were screws, or are they just internal stitches? Sorry you are uncomfortable. Give it some time, as long as there are no signs of infection. What did the doctor say he did? Did you discuss your concerns with him?
When I discovered the doctor had lied to me, I sent him an email which he never responded to.  After some time, I was contacted by the office to meet with another doctor but after listening to all his excuses and sales pitches, I realized that he was just trying to do some damage control to keep from getting sued.  My best interest was not at hand and I decided to stay away from them to keep from being scammed or hurt again.