Waste of Money and Not Worth the Side Effects - Bay Area, CA

I had an eyebrow that sometimes appeared slightly...

I had an eyebrow that sometimes appeared slightly lower than the other. No one but me ever noticed this and it was only apparent sometimes. The surgeon recommended a brow lift. I wasn’t sure I needed this surgery and flip-flopped changing my mind a few times.

The reason I went to see this surgeon was for a rhinoplasty estimate not for a brow lift. This doctor always tells you to wait for his assistant before leaving. She then arrives with estimates of anything that was mentioned during the appt. I ended up with many estimates for up to 6 procedures. I mentioned a few times that I didn’t think I needed all these and should probably wait until I’m older. Now I understand that they have all been trained very well to sell, sell, sell. They add all these procedures with a high price and then take off a huge amount at the end so it appears as if you’re getting them at a substantial bargain IF you do them all at once. When it was time to sign the consent forms for this, I said I wouldn’t do it because it sounded too scary and I was not convinced I even wanted this surgery. The pre-op nurse said to talk to the Dr. because the paperwork was outdated and didn’t pertain to the method that he used. She said the doctor only used 2 screws. The thought of screws on my skull still scared me so I told the doctor that I would not be doing the surgery but he assured me that he didn’t use screws and that I would only have 2 stitches, one above each eyebrow, behind the hairline.

Two days before the surgery, I spoke to the Dr. on the phone because I had reservations. He assured me that I wouldn’t look weird and told me that people will think I look refreshed and assume I must have a new hair style. I ended up with 5 incisions, each with a few stitches, and with some foreign objects placed under my skin, attached to my skull! They feel like small marbles and are very sensitive to touch. Even 3 months later, I must brush and wash my hair carefully because they still sensitive. I get a lot of dull headaches because I feel like I’m wearing a very tight visor that I can’t take off. I feel tinges of pain here and there. I often have to massage my forehead to relieve the tension. And ONE EYEBROW IS STILL SOMETIMES LOWER THAN THE OTHER and I have a WEIRD UNNATURAL LOOK.

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Thank you.. I will keep all of you in my prayers too. There's nothing anyone can do.
This profession will not be held responsible and receive more regulatory oversight until the public lobbies (badgers) legislators to make it happen. That's how it works in the USA. We wait until enough damage is done to enough people and then the people complain to the government enough, and then our representatives move to add protections and government agencies, if funded enough, impose them and provide us oversight. We are not proactive enough to do it up front, especially when it comes to profits for any industry. One of the first things that should be outlawed is any physician's staff receiving monetary compensation for booking patients. There must be absolutely no commissions for anything in a physicians practice.
Good to know! I just wish I felt better to work on it.
I agree Jezzebel and have actually been contacted and asked to tell my story before legislators if we are able to get this pushed far enough through the system. If you or anyone is interested in helping getting better laws to protect patients from becoming victims of unethical doctors and their offices, please write your legislators. If you need help finding out who to write, please contact me. As always, there is power in numbers and those of us who are brave enough to share our tragic stories, the better.
Yes I would like to know
I asked a lot of questions, too, but each concern was hand waved away as I was reassured I had "nothing to worry" about and whatever my specific concern was had never happened with this doctor. Also, he did not talk to me about any potential side-effects of bad outcomes, but instead covered his behind with only printed material. I read everything, but I know that not everyone does read all that written material so I think he is irresponsible for not talking to his patients to ensure they've heard it all.
Mine was endoscopic. Although it turned out to be the least of my problems, a few years later I still get itching on my scalp quite often, and the scars remain tender. Given the minimal improvement to my brow, I don't think it was worth the money or even my more minimal longterm side effects. My bangs cover my brow all the time anyway!
Adding comment here again. Were these endoscopic brow lifts?
Mine was endoscopic
Are both of you guys still getting headaches? Did u go to same dr?
Yes, all the time! And you?
No I am considering a brow lift. I wondered if this was common bc I get headaches now. I'm considering brow lift w a Chicago dr. I have an ugly scar in middle of my forehead and this will improve. Such a hard decision. I wondered if headaches were a common risk. I'm so sorry for you:(
Yes they are...and that's the least of your worries. If you're considering a Brow lift ...think about being scalped..and hoping your nerves reconnect. Look up being scalped...
There must b something else they can do besides a brow lift!
It's not about the money... It's about the time you go have left on the earth. Some people are born with disabilities ...why would you we done this to ourselves when we are so heatly.
Exactly, but I put most the blame on the doctors because they do this for a living and should know the risks and should explain them to us honestly so that we are able to weigh the pros and cons. I was pretty much told there are no risks, one stitch above each eyebrow, and I would look "refreshed." I asked a lot of questions but that didn't do me any good since I wasn't answered honestly. I currently have a headache, as I do about 50% of the time.
Yes head aches are one one of the problems. The least of your problems. You are setting your self up,for a long long journey of other problems! Read read read and research ...
How do you feel about botox ? Botox helps my scar and bump a little but I was looking for something better. It's right in the middle of my forehead. He thought pulling it taunt would help. We see how botox does that but that is only temp... I'm so sorry and I thank you for your input
Was yours endoscopic? The brow lift?
mine was endoscopic..
I have always believed in Botox. I should have keep with it, instead of a brow lift. I know someone who had laser done on a scar. It worked great.
Mine was endoscopic too.
I asked a lot of questions before my procedures, too, but all of my concerns were responded to with a waving them away and reassurances I had nothing to worry about and nothing I was concerned about ever happened with this surgeon. As for the brow lift part of my procedures, it was the least of my problems afterward but a few years later and I still get head itching sometimes, especially at night, and the scars remain tender to the touch. My improvements were so minimal that I do not think the side effects are worth it.
What about a permanent filler of your own body fat instead of this highly invasive, and possibly dangerous, procedure?
Because it seems that if they can do nose reshaping with fillers they can also fill scars and indentations in the face. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd look into it.